PDA

View Full Version : Installing a second HDD problem Asus G750JM

Seraph
08-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Hi everyone!
I've purchased Asus G750JM few days ago (8gb ram, 750gb HDD), installed SDD Intel 520 (120Gb) from previous Asus G74SX as a boot drive, with ASUS Backtracker made SDD works on Windows 8.1 and everything was good...
But the problem is that BIOS not recognise any HDD which I've put into HDD tray 1. BIOS was upgraded to 207 - no changes. Latest drivers on chipset are installed in Windows 8.1. Both hard drivers (750gb HDD and 120 gb SDD) are work in HDD tray 0, with no remarks. I've read all topics in this forum but it seems that some guys have problems only with cloning HDD/SDD, recovering Windows. etc. Is in possible that second HDD tray is not connected properly to the power supply?

P.S sorry for my English.

Gornati
10-08-2014, 02:40 AM
Having the same problem.

It was working when suddenly stopped work.

I will follow this post :)

hmscott
10-08-2014, 03:16 AM
Having the same problem.

It was working when suddenly stopped work.

I will follow this post :)

Gornati, if a disk drive isn't showing up in the BIOS when powered up, Windows has nothing to do with it.

There was someone else that had this problem, and it turned out it was an Intel Firmware bug.

You say you have the exact same problem, but it is helpful to know exactly what you have to work with. What model G750, what make/model/firmware of SSD, etc.

Have you tried pulling the 2nd drive, and moving the boot SSD over to the 2nd bay. It should show up in the BIOS - and it should boot from there too.

Have you made any BIOS changes? What options have you changed from defaults?

Did you update the BIOS? What BIOS version are you running now?

If you updated the BIOS, did you go into the BIOS on first boot and used "Restore Defaults"? Rebooted and gone into the BIOS again, and make sure all the settings are as desired?

I missed Seraph's original post, and no one answered him, and hasn't logged in since 8/31/14...

Maybe we can help you :)

Gornati
10-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Hello Scott,

I've have a Asus Rog G750JM with a Samsung SSD 850 PRO primary and the original Toshiba as second

Thanks for your post.

What I've tried:

1) I've updated the BIOS Firmware to 207
2) Installed the Intel Rapid Store Technology
3) Updated all my drivers

Just saw that sometimes appears in BIOS and other not.

If I open the Intel Rapid Store Technology the HDD come like the attached prints.

1) 2014-10-08_1109.jpg
2) 2014-10-08_1111.jpg

And from nowhere, it's begin to work again.

Have any idea?

Thanks

Mountian Man
10-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I am using this config on another PC and basically when you attach the SSD to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology a couple of things will happen differently.

1) The HDD will not show up in the BIOS, this is because the IRST doesn't allow BIOS (or Windows) to see it. After completing BIOS (depnding on whether quick boot is enabled in the BIOS or not) you should get an optional button to press which opens a dialog where you can add/remove HDD's from IRST. If it is attached to a RAID array in this screen then you cannot see it anywhere else.

2) IRST has a service that runs on windows, if you stop it or prevent it from starting then your RAID array will not work as you intended it to.

Gornati - I believe you have set your drive up so IRST chooses what files to cache to the SSD you added. If you do not want it to do this (which optimizes everything from windows boot to programs you use) then you would have to remove it from this RAID array. Be aware that when it is removed from the RAID array everything will be deleted from the drive.

hmscott
10-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Hello Scott,
I've have a Asus Rog G750JM with a Samsung SSD 850 PRO primary and the original Toshiba as second
Thanks for your post.
What I've tried:
1) I've updated the BIOS Firmware to 207
2) Installed the Intel Rapid Store Technology
3) Updated all my drivers
Just saw that sometimes appears in BIOS and other not.
If I open the Intel Rapid Store Technology the HDD come like the attached prints.
1) 2014-10-08_1109.jpg
2) 2014-10-08_1111.jpg
And from nowhere, it's begin to work again.
Have any idea?
Thanks

Gornati, you don't need the RAID software installed - the images you posted showed the drives as available for RAID, but they are not currently in a RAID group.

Not sure what isn't working, I think you might be looking in the wrong place(s) for the new drive. It isn't bootable, so it won't show in the bootable items list in the BIOS.

The only place they will show up is under SATA Configuration in the BIOS. Each drive will show up here, even if it is blank or part of a RAID group.

After selecting SATA Configuration, you will see the list of devices found, and what controller port they are attached.

Check and see if you see the device through the SATA Configuration list in the BIOS.

BTW, you should have SATA Mode set to AHCI, not RAID :)

Gornati
10-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Hello,

I've uninstalled the IRST from my PC and it should never open windows again. I had to take of the second HDD to start it.

My BIOS it's with the AHCI.

So whats my best solution hero? Format my PC and start again?

Thanks

hmscott
10-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Hello,

I've uninstalled the IRST from my PC and it should never open windows again. I had to take of the second HDD to start it.

My BIOS it's with the AHCI.

So whats my best solution hero? Format my PC and start again?

Thanks

Gornati, did you check to see if the drive shows up in the BIOS area? You said it didn't before, but I think you were looking in the wrong area.

You didn't need to install the Intel RAID software, but uninstalling it shouldn't have been a problem - it wasn't in use. If you uninstalled it properly, and just let it sit and finish the uninstall - wait for the Programs and Features listing to delete itself, it may need to do more work at the first boot to finish the uninstall.

Boot again, and leave it sit there and wait for Windows to come up. First make sure you haven't changed any BIOS settings, and return them to the original settings before booting.

If your drive wasn't showing up it was because it wasn't formatted, and Windows won't show it till it is formatted. You could have, and still can go into the Manage Storage admin tool to format the "hidden drive" - it will show up in this area:

The unformatted drive will show up here, format it and it will mount and be visible to Windows.

It this doesn't work then there might be something wrong with the 2nd bay SATA interface - cable loose, drive not seated in connector all the way - you did reinstall the screws that hold the drive in the bay when you put it back in, right?

Good luck, and let us know what you see.

Gornati
10-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried everything, even change the slots of the HD's but no success.

It just don't find the HD in Port 0.

I will look for the asus suport.