PDA

View Full Version : HDD clicking? (G750 JM)

Ms.Malice
08-22-2014, 09:13 PM
I should have knocked on wood when I said I wasn't having issues because now I have an issue.

I have a g750 JM I got from a Best Buy here in Canada. The model I have has 2 1TB Seagate HDDs (ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB ). The one on the right side has been making constant clicking noises (similiar to the sound a mouse makes when clicked but more muffled) since day 1 that have been steadily getting worse. My father has decent computer experience and is convinced its the normal operating noise of the HDD, but the other HDD doesn't make much noise at all. I was ready to accept the noise until I started getting lag from files on that disk.

I have tried to defrag and optimize the HDD, the clicking stopped during that but returned during regular use. I did a random access test using HD Tune which I'll attach. The top is the disk making noise, the bottom is the other disk. Theres defiantely a diffrence there but I'm not sure if it's because theres an actual problem or because the disk was still being access by background programs while I ran the test. I'm running an error scan on the disk currently, but its taking a while because of the size.

Is this normal or should I consider taking the compuetr back since I'm still within the return window?

Prostar Computer
08-22-2014, 09:22 PM
The drive should not click, no. That's usually the sound of the actuator arm not parking correctly. It doesn't necessarily mean the drive is its last leg, but to be safe, you should consider replacing it.

Has the drive suffered any electrical, heat, or shock damage, by any chance?

Jabbapop
08-22-2014, 09:37 PM
When I owned the G75JH there was clicking when the drive parked; which also caused hitching in games when new resources would load. I had to use a program called quietHDD which fixed the problem perfectly. Couldn't tell you how to configure it with the G750JM though.

Ms.Malice
08-22-2014, 11:08 PM
The drive has not suffered any damage that I would know of, I'm very careful about protecting my electronics from possible surges and the laptop has been running very cool.

hmscott
08-23-2014, 12:56 AM
I should have knocked on wood when I said I wasn't having issues because now I have an issue.

I have a g750 JM I got from a Best Buy here in Canada. The model I have has 2 1TB Seagate HDDs (ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB ). The one on the right side has been making constant clicking noises (similiar to the sound a mouse makes when clicked but more muffled) since day 1 that have been steadily getting worse. My father has decent computer experience and is convinced its the normal operating noise of the HDD, but the other HDD doesn't make much noise at all. I was ready to accept the noise until I started getting lag from files on that disk.

I have tried to defrag and optimize the HDD, the clicking stopped during that but returned during regular use. I did a random access test using HD Tune which I'll attach. The top is the disk making noise, the bottom is the other disk. Theres defiantely a diffrence there but I'm not sure if it's because theres an actual problem or because the disk was still being access by background programs while I ran the test. I'm running an error scan on the disk currently, but its taking a while because of the size.

Is this normal or should I consider taking the compuetr back since I'm still within the return window?

Ms.Malice, these drives make clicks when head parking for APM. It shouldn't be constant, like more than occasionally, but can cause lag in games.

This sounds like more than that, but just in case try using quiethdd to disable APM and see if that stops the clicking:

https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

Put these config lines in the quiethdd.ini file

FirstRun = 0
AC_APM_Value = 255
DC_APM_Value = 255
AC_AAM_Value = 254
DC_AAM_Value = 254
AAMEnabled = 1
APMEnabled = 1

In your case it might be a bad drive, they do show up sometimes in the early stages of a new laptop, infant mortality, so if quiethdd doesn't stop the clicking, then file a Technical Inquiry with Asus asking to replace that drive with a new one.

You can register a login here, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry here:

https://vip.asus.com

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

Ms.Malice
08-23-2014, 03:13 AM
Unfortunately, quietHDD didn't work :(. Not only that, but the constant clicking is now accompanied by the occasional loud, awful grinding/scratching/skipping, which I think confirms that it's a bad drive and that something needs to be done ASAP. Luckily the computer is new enough that there isn't anything too important on it. I'm going to take it back to Best Buy to see if they're willing to exchange it (It's still within the return window so I don't see why they wouldn't), if not I'll send it off to Asus.

hmscott
08-23-2014, 03:16 AM
Unfortunately, quietHDD didn't work :(. Not only that, but the constant clicking is now accompanied by the occasional loud, awful grinding/scratching/skipping, which I think confirms that it's a bad drive and that something needs to be done ASAP. Luckily the computer is new enough that there isn't anything too important on it. I'm going to take it back to Best Buy to see if they're willing to exchange it (It's still within the return window so I don't see why they wouldn't), if not I'll send it off to Asus.

Ms.Malice, since you are within the return period at Best Buy, they will swap it for you, no need to mention / offer to send it in to Asus for RMA - they might take you up on it and that would take much longer to get your laptop back to you :)

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)