PDA

View Full Version : G750JS graphics breakdown!?

baulaergrungim
08-23-2014, 10:22 AM
[Copied from wrong forum section]

So, I bought G750JS literally a month ago and suddenly it bugged on me last night once, then worked just fine for most the day... And suddenly decided to completely die on me. The thing is it's weekend so I can't do anything the "official" routes. The issue is as on the photo
It happens even on bios ROG logo screen Laptop is completely unusable as it stops responding along with screen going like that. From what I would think, it's related to integrated gpu issue? If it is, is there a way to make laptop run on nvidia to at least backup some files?

sasuke256
08-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Do it do it the lid closed and with a monitor on HDMI/VGA port ?
IF not then the screen is dying, if yes you may have a problem with the mobo/iGPU:/

hmscott
08-24-2014, 12:56 AM
[Copied from wrong forum section]
So, I bought G750JS literally a month ago and suddenly it bugged on me last night once, then worked just fine for most the day... And suddenly decided to completely die on me. The thing is it's weekend so I can't do anything the "official" routes. The issue is as on the photo
It happens even on bios ROG logo screen Laptop is completely unusable as it stops responding along with screen going like that. From what I would think, it's related to integrated gpu issue? If it is, is there a way to make laptop run on nvidia to at least backup some files?

baulaergrungim, even during the week there isn't anything that can be done for recovery besides pulling the drive and putting it in an external enclosure to copy the data off onto another PC.

The JS/JM/JZ use the Intel GPU to connect to the LCD and external monitor. If the problem is happening to the internal LCD it might not happen to an external monitor - the problem might be in the LCD driver hardware - so you could connect to an external monitor and use the Fn+F8 to switch to the external monitor, then use whatever external storage to copy your important data to before RMA'ing the G750JS.

You can register a login here, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry describing the problem in clear detail - attach a zip with photo's to the Technical Inquiry.
https://vip.asus.com

It has been a month, but you might still try to return to the seller - it will be faster to swap for a new JS than wait a week or two for Asus to do the RMA.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

baulaergrungim
08-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Shop told me to go to ASUS T_T I tried both mail and phone call, explaining them that it wasn't even a month, but they said that ASUS has D2D warranty and they leave everything to them.
The issue on the photo happens even in BIOS and it renders laptop unresponsive. I tried few times. So I don't expect hooking up external monitor to fix it. I copied part of data, though, but it would be interrupted every time, so I gave up on doing that as not to damage even my external drive. I don't have any 2.5 bay and there's a sticker on the hdd case on the laptop that I didn't want to void (though it looks like shop's one, so I don't think that's an issue).

I filed Tech Inquiry on the weekend, but I'm still waiting for them to respond. Will probably have to either file another one, or add more details to it when they respond, though as only later I tried restoring factory defaults (and they're picky about that) - as expected, it failed mid-way, when laptop crashed.

Just called Tech support, since I'm really mad about it dying on me like that. I have Dell laptop that works pretty much 24/7 for years. I'm starting to regret ever buying new laptop now. I have to wait days to even get tech response as they don't work on weekends and will have to wait weeks to get my laptop back. If it wasn't for warranty, I would go to my local service and they do express fixes - 24h to order and replace faulty hardware and they work on Saturdays. So, I told them(ASUS Tech Support) the issue and said it happens even on ROG BIOS Logo and that factory reset crashed and they were like "Please try updating BIOS as well. It may fix the issue.". Obviously, laptop would crash before I even found location of my USB, so no BIOS update is possible, let alone it would fix the issue. It seems like on AC laptop crashes even faster than on battery. Currently I'm waiting for Tech Inquiry to be revised, I suppose.

______
Update: It's been a week since laptop was received by service. I received mail from service today informing about waiting for required parts (eta tomorrow). Part is called G750JS VGA_BD./AS. Uncle Google says it's motherboard ( TДT)

baulaergrungim
09-17-2014, 12:52 PM
It's been three weeks. I decided to call tech support to ask how long it takes to repair laptops. They said it usually takes 7days. I then said that it's been 3 weeks for my laptop now. They only said they're waiting for parts and that they have no information when they will arrive. So - soon to be 2 months old laptop is at service for a month now. Just great.

I'm starting to worry that what I read about ASUS Repair Service online is all true. Should have gone with MSI or drain my pocket more for a DELL >_>

Prostar Computer
09-17-2014, 04:24 PM
It's been three weeks. I decided to call tech support to ask how long it takes to repair laptops. They said it usually takes 7days. I then said that it's been 3 weeks for my laptop now. They only said they're waiting for parts and that they have no information when they will arrive. So - soon to be 2 months old laptop is at service for a month now. Just great.

I'm starting to worry that what I read about ASUS Repair Service online is all true. Should have gone with MSI or drain my pocket more for a DELL >_>

7 - 10 days is commonplace for large OEMs. You would be looking at similar downtime from MSI and possibly even Dell also.

baulaergrungim
09-17-2014, 05:50 PM
My laptop was delivered to service on 27th. It's 3 whole weeks today.
Also, just received ANOTHER mail from service. Followed by part called G750JS VGA_BD./AS that they waited a week for (I was receiving information about delays 3-5th for that one, with ETA 4th that stopped after the weekend), now they notified me about waiting for part called G750JS MB._0M/I7-4700HQ/AS with ETA of 12 days. That's not an acceptable delay. Also, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even receive that mail today if I haven't called them.

GRNFURY
09-17-2014, 07:14 PM
VGA_BD is the GPU board, which connects to the MB. Apparently the issue wasn't the GPU board but the motherboard. Sucks, they should have just shipped you a whole new laptop and used yours as a refurb unit once repaired.

baulaergrungim
10-03-2014, 02:52 PM
33 days in service. The repair raport is as follows:
Issue/Symptom:
Abnormal Lines Display on LCD repair with new components/parts
Touch Pad Error repair with new components/parts
Other HDD Issue repair with new components/parts

Replaced parts:
G750JS VGA_BD./AS
G750JW TP PAD FFC 12P,0.5,202
G750JM-1A K/B_(UI)_MODULE/W8

They never used the part they were waiting 12 days for, it seems. Otherwise, I'm still not sure what could've happened and why.

hmscott
10-03-2014, 08:39 PM
33 days in service. The repair raport is as follows:
Issue/Symptom:
Abnormal Lines Display on LCD repair with new components/parts
Other HDD Issue repair with new components/parts

Replaced parts:
G750JS VGA_BD./AS
G750JW TP PAD FFC 12P,0.5,202
G750JM-1A K/B_(UI)_MODULE/W8
They never used the part they were waiting 12 days for, it seems. Otherwise, I'm still not sure what could've happened and why.

baulaergrungim, is it still at Asus? Is it fixed?

baulaergrungim
10-03-2014, 11:26 PM
I received it on Tuesday this week. I'm worried that the chasis has weak points and using it like a real laptop (taking up, putting on your laps, putting on uneven surfaces when not all the stops touch the ground) breaks something inside now T_T Can't find other reason after a month of usage it would break and they had to replace touchpad/keyboard components.

hmscott
10-03-2014, 11:52 PM
I received it on Tuesday this week. I'm worried that the chasis has weak points and using it like a real laptop (taking up, putting on your laps, putting on uneven surfaces when not all the stops touch the ground) breaks something inside now T_T Can't find other reason after a month of usage it would break and they had to replace touchpad/keyboard components.

baulaergrungim, since it returned from RMA, did you plug it in the same power socket that you experienced the intermittent touchpad symptoms?

Any device if physically stressed in ways not originally designed, will cause issues - not always, but if a device has a physical orientation for use it probably is designed for those stresses, not for off axis use. The G750's are very heavy and need to be moved with respect to it's mass and velocity - as the terminal kinetic energy can damage the laptop, and whatever you hit :)

If it isn't a grounding issue, test it in the locations/sockets you saw the problem in last, then it might have been a cable not clicked in and it worked itself loose.

Glad to hear it is back and working, finally! :)

baulaergrungim
10-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Yes, I'm using it in the same socket, I generally have it always plugged in in the same place. I haven't experienced touchpad issues, that's what they diagnosed in service. Or to be exact, touchpad and keyboard worked fine, but if laptop haven't frozen by some chance, the moment I put my hand down on it (as in to type), it used to crash.
Well, I know it's heavier than my 15.6'' one and I do pay attention to it. I don't "bump" it against any objects and always pick up with both hands, on both sides of the laptop (I doubt you can pick it in any other way up). The only stress I can think of would be putting my hands down on on it when writing etc. Or, as I mentioned, using it on my laps and picking it up (that would mean that it won't survive a flight, then, so I guess I'm grounded with laptop at home?) Would be in place to mention that I use computer A LOT. I never had laptop to break or get parts loose even after 4 years of usage. And I am even more careful with this ASUS. I would be a good specimen to test laptops, I think, since I think in a year, laptop I use experiences 3 years worth of stress.

I'm going to be really schizophrenic about it for months now >_> Can't wait for all the nightmares...

hmscott
10-04-2014, 01:52 AM
Yes, I'm using it in the same socket, I generally have it always plugged in in the same place. I haven't experienced touchpad issues, that's what they diagnosed in service. Or to be exact, touchpad and keyboard worked fine, but if laptop haven't frozen by some chance, the moment I put my hand down on it (as in to type), it used to crash.
Well, I know it's heavier than my 15.6'' one and I do pay attention to it. I don't "bump" it against any objects and always pick up with both hands, on both sides of the laptop (I doubt you can pick it in any other way up). The only stress I can think of would be putting my hands down on on it when writing etc. Or, as I mentioned, using it on my laps and picking it up (that would mean that it won't survive a flight, then, so I guess I'm grounded with laptop at home?) Would be in place to mention that I use computer A LOT. I never had laptop to break or get parts loose even after 4 years of usage. And I am even more careful with this ASUS. I would be a good specimen to test laptops, I think, since I think in a year, laptop I use experiences 3 years worth of stress.

I'm going to be really schizophrenic about it for months now >_> Can't wait for all the nightmares...

baulaergrungim, has it rained there recently? In the last week? To the point of soaking the ground? Sometimes grounding problems show up during the dry season and then go away after the first couple of rains. If you can find the spot with the ground rod, you can work the rod back and forth to open the hole, and push down rock salt and then finish by pushing in dirt to seal the hole - that will get rid of the problem for a good while.

It doesn't sound like it was due to use, and the G750's are pretty rigid - at least more than rigid enough to keep a cable from working it's way out from flex.

It might just have been a bad cable, it happens.

At least it is good for now. Have fun :)