PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JS-DS71 Performance Issues

Arcturus Fyr
08-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Asus G750JS-DS71
About three months ago, I bought an Asus G750JS. I the first month, everything ran fine. In the second and third, my games Oblivion and Skyrim started to develop stutter issues, first it was Oblivion.

When I tried to look around for things in my Event Viewer for anything that may have explained this issues, I found the Kernel-Processor-Power Event iD 37 entry within the EV logs, and I kept finding it every time when I started up Oblivion and the game only being being near to max settings stuttered something awful, however, for a time this was limited to Oblivion and only oblivon, Skyrim ran perfectly.

It wasn't until a few weeks back that I started to notice Skyrim stutter considerably too, looked in my event viewer and found that the Kernel-Processor-Power Event ID 37 has appeared for Skyrim as-well when I start it up, now I'm just too afraid to install anymore games due to the fact that something with my processor isn't working properly and becuase of that may cause performance issues overall with my games.

I noticed with the Intel Monitor gadget, my processor output wouldn't go above 2.4ghz most of the time, and that it only went to 3.4 during loading screens.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Please respond as soon as possible.

Thank you in Advance.
-Arcturus Fyr

hmscott
08-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Asus G750JS-DS71
About three months ago, I bought an Asus G750JS. I the first month, everything ran fine. In the second and third, my games Oblivion and Skyrim started to develop stutter issues, first it was Oblivion.

When I tried to look around for things in my Event Viewer for anything that may have explained this issues, I found the Kernel-Processor-Power Event iD 37 entry within the EV logs, and I kept finding it every time when I started up Oblivion and the game only being being near to max settings stuttered something awful, however, for a time this was limited to Oblivion and only oblivon, Skyrim ran perfectly.

It wasn't until a few weeks back that I started to notice Skyrim stutter considerably too, looked in my event viewer and found that the Kernel-Processor-Power Event ID 37 has appeared for Skyrim as-well when I start it up, now I'm just too afraid to install anymore games due to the fact that something with my processor isn't working properly and becuase of that may cause performance issues overall with my games.

I noticed with the Intel Monitor gadget, my processor output wouldn't go above 2.4ghz most of the time, and that it only went to 3.4 during loading screens.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Please respond as soon as possible.

Thank you in Advance.
-Arcturus Fyr

Arcturus Fyr, when searching for "Kernel-Processor-Power Event ID 37" I found your other posts elsewhere, along with things to try to fix the warning.

What have you tried?

If your processor is not always running at 3.4ghz, you haven't set the Power Plan to High Performance... or You still have Asus Power4Gear installed - uninstall it and set the High Performance Power plan manually.

The other thing suggested to try is to go into the BIOS and Set Defaults, Save and reboot, did you do that?

Arcturus Fyr
08-26-2014, 02:36 AM
I tried updating my BIOS to the OEM release of 208 from my originally pre-installed version of 205. I also tried to use a cooling pad to lower temperatures overall on my laptop (although there didn't seem to be any issues with temperatures before.)

I was advised to set my laptops power plans setting to High Performance yes, but I haven't tried it as my laptop ran fine on the same games on the Balanced settings before.

As for resetting my BIOS, how would I do that? I never tried it, but I was also advised to do that too, so maybe I can give it a go and see what happens.

Thank you for the response, I hope to hear from you again soon.
-Arcturus Fyr

EDIT: The laptop came without Power4Gear, so I think i'm okay there.

hmscott
08-26-2014, 04:54 AM
I tried updating my BIOS to the OEM release of 208 from my originally pre-installed version of 205. I also tried to use a cooling pad to lower temperatures overall on my laptop (although there didn't seem to be any issues with temperatures before.)
I was advised to set my laptops power plans setting to High Performance yes, but I haven't tried it as my laptop ran fine on the same games on the Balanced settings before.
As for resetting my BIOS, how would I do that? I never tried it, but I was also advised to do that too, so maybe I can give it a go and see what happens.
Thank you for the response, I hope to hear from you again soon.
-Arcturus Fyr
EDIT: The laptop came without Power4Gear, so I think i'm okay there.

Arcturus Fyr, Asus Power4Gear comes installed on all G750's, so you will want to uninstall that from Programs and Features.

If your G750JS didn't come with Asus Power4Gear then I am assuming you got your G759JS used and therefore it might be a good idea to reset the PC back to the out of the box configuration rather than continue with an OS Install / Config in an unknown state?

The reason I suggested moving to the High Performance profile is because you specifically said the CPU speed was rarely going above 2.4ghz, so setting the Power Plan to High Performance will fix that problem, you CPU speed will always be at the highest speed for that CPU, 100%.

You don't need to reset the BIOS, you can Restore/Reset Defaults, it is an option in the last tab of the BIOS, Save/Exit tab, - select it, save, and reboot.

Then let us know how it runs. :)

Arcturus Fyr
08-27-2014, 01:18 AM
As far as I can remember, I haven't had Power4Gear installed ever. As for my laptop model, i'm sure it's a G750JS.

For the High Performance setting, i'll try it, but I cannot understand why I have to do it now when it ran fine before without it. My hesitation also comes from the fact that I might harm my system as my game sessions happen to be 2+ hours everytime I play.

As for the Restore/Reset option, I meant that, but it seems I've worded my intent in a somewhat confusing manner and I am sorry for that.

Thank you for the response, I hope to get some results soon so I may update this thread further.
-Arcturus Fyr

P.S Is there any performance benefit to installing the BIOS 207 update, and does the 208 version contain the updated CPU Microcode files of 207?

hmscott
08-27-2014, 11:10 AM
As far as I can remember, I haven't had Power4Gear installed ever. As for my laptop model, i'm sure it's a G750JS.

For the High Performance setting, i'll try it, but I cannot understand why I have to do it now when it ran fine before without it. My hesitation also comes from the fact that I might harm my system as my game sessions happen to be 2+ hours everytime I play.

As for the Restore/Reset option, I meant that, but it seems I've worded my intent in a somewhat confusing manner and I am sorry for that.

Thank you for the response, I hope to get some results soon so I may update this thread further.
-Arcturus Fyr

P.S Is there any performance benefit to installing the BIOS 207 update, and does the 208 version contain the updated CPU Microcode files of 207?

Arcturus Fyr, updating the BIOS shouldn't be a problem, go ahead. It is simple to do from the BIOS. Put the .bin (unpack the zip file) on the top level of the C drive, and access the update from the BIOS update in the BIOS.

High Performance isn't the solution, it is just to prove to you that the CPU will upclock and stay there :)

You could try going back to 331.82, some report micro-stutters after that release till present, but I don't see them on my JH, Nvidia 340.52 only. Although I did recently back up to 331.82 doing a Clean Install - select Custom install and check the Clean Install check box before installting, and then went back to 340.52 as a Clean Install, and things worked better, YMMV.

You need to look to your installs around the time of the beginning of the problems, something else got installed that is interfering - or a game update - or a driver update - etc.

Try to remove network considerations, by doing local gaming only, and/or move from Wifi to ethernet, and perhaps check which servers you are connecting on per game.

I have seen things like this when an ISP changes their BGP peering and routes take a different, well, route. It can be lots of things.

That is why it is important to run and document many local benchmarks before and after every driver update so you can find problems before they show up in a game.

Game results vary dramatically for so many reasons, you really need a solid test base history to go back to to assure yourself something hasn't gone wrong - most often it is just the game, the game servers, the route the packets take, the network / server load at that time of the day - problems introduced during a game update - delayed due to server upgrades happening later that enable changes introduced a while ago on your own install.

Let us know what you resolve :)

Arcturus Fyr
08-27-2014, 09:49 PM
I see, but my question is whether or not the 208 BIOS update in question contains the 207 files which specifically update the CPU Microcode. To be direct, are the updates cumulative? I noticed that the 208 update is a few megs short of the older 207, so that has me concerned that not everything is included within the 208. So, do I need to do one update at a time, or was my updating from 205 to 208 (skipping 207 in the process) fine too?

I agree that High Performance mode didn't really do anything for me, as for my games, they do not need a any connection as they are only single-player games (Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Skyrim) in fact, they are the only games I have installed on my secondary drive.

As for rolling back, not sure if I can do that. I deleted all of the contents of Installer2, and any backup files used for the said rollback process. Is it possible for me to uninstall the drivers from the control panel, and install a older driver in its place?

Thank you for the response.

EDIT: I forgot to also say that neither game has received a new update at all, and that I always install the newest Nvidia Drivers with the custom "Clean" install option selected and that only the Graphics and Physx drivers are installed.
-Arcturus Fyr