PDA

View Full Version : Would you recommend G750JX?

yardiego
08-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Hi,

Currently i own a VAIO VPCF1 series, it's kinda obsolete and i want to upgrade.

I've seen on ebay for a good price a G750JX-DB71 and i'm comparing with a Alienware 17.

I read a lot of customer reviews of both of them, about this ASUS unit, most complaints are about the poor LCD screen quality (gray lines) and sound quality (earphones feedback included), i've seen also keyboard and Blue Screen issues. On the Alienware side the complaints were all about the unit being overpriced and lower specs for the same money ammount.

So, i'm really bugged with this question, i do not care about customer service cause i won't be using it and both of them sucks on this aspect, everything else is relevant.

I want the notebook to play Battlefield 4 and run Photoshop / Illustrator / Corel.

So, would you recommend an ASUS over the Alienware?

Thanks a lot for your attention! :D

Darnassus
08-26-2014, 07:23 PM
You won't break your wrist on the Asus ;d <3

Coming from a JX user.

(Alienware are easier to upgrade though)

yardiego
08-26-2014, 08:04 PM
I know this matter of upgrading, pretty interesting, anyway, i do think this ASUS model have nice specs and i won't need a upgrade soon.

Man, buying a new pc is tough xD

Pjay12
08-27-2014, 12:09 AM
I have a JX. Screen is great, no grey lines. Audio is great as well. I've never had any problems with the screen or audio or anything else for that matter. It runs bf4 perfectly smooth. Its possible that I got lucky and got a good unit but I'd say go with the asus.

Darnassus
08-27-2014, 12:15 AM
Ask more questions in terms of your usage and I'll give you some more answers.. though I can say I love my JX immensely. Most problems can be totally disregarded.

The only real issues I experience with this unit is:

The keyboard keys are a little sensitive, the tiles can break if you're one to pull them off to clean them if they eventually get a little clogged with dirt. (The plastic flaps can snap off)

The screen looks oily on whites light blues (like skies and so on), though during gameplay on any other color, it's simply SUPERB..

The Chi Mei screen panels suck with their refresh rating, though nothing an overclocking can fix. (75Hz is great with full brightness)

Fear of upgrading Bios above 208, I won't do it, heard too many horror stories. I'm leaving it as it is.

Steel brush finish and rubberised shell is annoying to clean from oily hands. Rubber leaves prints on your gorgeous baby.

Cannot play proper games on battery, though that's logical and can be remedied.. somewhat.

Keyboard is very cold to touch during cold nights, I use gloves.

Computer comes with a lot of crap, it's kind of annoying to re-install windows 8 unless you have a physical disc or know how to extract your bios key and know what ISO file to use.

Sub Woofer on the left side, makes all sound from the unit off-center.

But that's pretty much it.. the general parts in the unit like the card, CPU and so on are all great.

yardiego
08-27-2014, 03:45 AM
I have a JX. Screen is great, no grey lines. Audio is great as well. I've never had any problems with the screen or audio or anything else for that matter. It runs bf4 perfectly smooth. Its possible that I got lucky and got a good unit but I'd say go with the asus.

Not even 1 problem or concern? Thanks for letting me know!

Ask more questions in terms of your usage and I'll give you some more answers.. though I can say I love my JX immensely. Most problems can be totally disregarded.

The only real issues I experience with this unit is:

The keyboard keys are a little sensitive, the tiles can break if you're one to pull them off to clean them if they eventually get a little clogged with dirt. (The plastic flaps can snap off)

The screen looks oily on whites light blues (like skies and so on), though during gameplay on any other color, it's simply SUPERB..

The Chi Mei screen panels suck with their refresh rating, though nothing an overclocking can fix. (75Hz is great with full brightness)

Fear of upgrading Bios above 208, I won't do it, heard too many horror stories. I'm leaving it as it is.

Steel brush finish and rubberised shell is annoying to clean from oily hands. Rubber leaves prints on your gorgeous baby.

Cannot play proper games on battery, though that's logical and can be remedied.. somewhat.

Keyboard is very cold to touch during cold nights, I use gloves.

Computer comes with a lot of crap, it's kind of annoying to re-install windows 8 unless you have a physical disc or know how to extract your bios key and know what ISO file to use.

Sub Woofer on the left side, makes all sound from the unit off-center.

But that's pretty much it.. the general parts in the unit like the card, CPU and so on are all great.

It was actually my intention not to say too much about my usage, i want to hear what you have to say regardless my needs.

I would never pull a key off, well, at least never did this on my vaio.

Yeah, i heard exactly this about the white background, kinda weird to tell the truth, i owned a bunch or different brands of laptops and of course, diferent qualities and this never ever happened to me. No idea what overclocking means, but no problems xD

I'm not worrying about upgrading.

No problems if it's cold or hot, actually i prefer cold, but anyway o/

Actually on this matter, i would love to send windows 8 to hell and install 7, but i know it's not simple (even no idea about drivers and so on).

I do hear a lot of music on it, interesting to know.

Thanks, that sure helped me a lot, i'll research more about these 2 models i listed before and make my decision, of course, i would still appreciate if someone have more to say in this thread.

gazzacbr
08-27-2014, 07:56 AM
i game all the time on windows 7 on my JX but i do have a clean windows 8 for BF4 only (supposed to run better on 8).
there are good guides around for installing any os for this model.
i also have several other os's to choose from (see sig)
they all run great. they are all clean installs.
my original windows 8 crashed on day 2 and never restarted or recovered.
complete format of the disk and reinstall clean windows 8 and all was good.
i have a 3D 120hz screen. i really didnt want the muddy matte. check before you buy if you are bothered.
also check the wifi card. there are several that got supplied even for the same model.
i have swapped my out (from atheros) for broadcom dual band.
same for ssd/hd combinations and amount of ram included.
they all vary form one place to another.
good luck.

hmscott
08-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Hi,
Currently i own a VAIO VPCF1 series, it's kinda obsolete and i want to upgrade.
I've seen on ebay for a good price a G750JX-DB71 and i'm comparing with a Alienware 17.
I read a lot of customer reviews of both of them, about this ASUS unit, most complaints are about the poor LCD screen quality (gray lines) and sound quality (earphones feedback included), i've seen also keyboard and Blue Screen issues. On the Alienware side the complaints were all about the unit being overpriced and lower specs for the same money ammount.
So, i'm really bugged with this question, i do not care about customer service cause i won't be using it and both of them sucks on this aspect, everything else is relevant.
I want the notebook to play Battlefield 4 and run Photoshop / Illustrator / Corel.
So, would you recommend an ASUS over the Alienware?
Thanks a lot for your attention! :D

yardiego, I heartily recommend the JX, as the sweet spot in the line of JW/JX/JH, but only if you take advantage of the Asus Tweak tool and Intel XTU to OC the JX to it's full potential. At stock speeds it is still the best balance between cost, weight, and performance, but with the OC it takes you that much closer to the performance of the JH with no additional cost.

When I got my JH I briefly thought how much lighter the JX was in comparison, and thinner, and every time I have lug the JH around I wish it was just that much lighter as the JX, but if you can afford it, and find one, the JH performance is just that much better - but for the cost, the JX is a gem.

I don't have anything against the Alienware, it is a fine laptop, a bit too gaudy for my tastes, and although I would be proud to own one, I just haven't brought myself to purchase one, yet.

I guess the one thought I have is the prohibitive cost - I would feel like I would need to keep it well past it's functional prime in order to justify the use vs cost. I would feel like I would be stuck with less performance in the long run than I would get with Asus and turning it over for a newer model a couple of years later. I would feel I would need to keep the Alienware for 5 years, or sell it at too much of a loss.

If you can get a new JX, or a nice well maintained used one, I would say, go for it! :)

Please come back and let us know what you end up getting, even if it is a Cool Alienware.

yardiego
08-27-2014, 04:35 PM
i game all the time on windows 7 on my JX but i do have a clean windows 8 for BF4 only (supposed to run better on 8).
there are good guides around for installing any os for this model.
i also have several other os's to choose from (see sig)
they all run great. they are all clean installs.
my original windows 8 crashed on day 2 and never restarted or recovered.
complete format of the disk and reinstall clean windows 8 and all was good.
i have a 3D 120hz screen. i really didnt want the muddy matte. check before you buy if you are bothered.
also check the wifi card. there are several that got supplied even for the same model.
i have swapped my out (from atheros) for broadcom dual band.
same for ssd/hd combinations and amount of ram included.
they all vary form one place to another.
good luck.

I see, that's a lot to check and to be sure. I even didn't know some games could run better on Win8, good to know.

Ah, i did see people saying their original OS crashed on this model, weird, to say the least, but if you say after a clean install all is fine i'm relieved.

I'm bothered by the screen, but as i'm comparing 2 models i wouldn't bother to change it.

As for the ssd, can it fit the 9.5mm one? So i would be getting 1TB.

Thanks for your attention.

yardiego, I heartily recommend the JX, as the sweet spot in the line of JW/JX/JH, but only if you take advantage of the Asus Tweak tool and Intel XTU to OC the JX to it's full potential. At stock speeds it is still the best balance between cost, weight, and performance, but with the OC it takes you that much closer to the performance of the JH with no additional cost.

When I got my JH I briefly thought how much lighter the JX was in comparison, and thinner, and every time I have lug the JH around I wish it was just that much lighter as the JX, but if you can afford it, and find one, the JH performance is just that much better - but for the cost, the JX is a gem.

I don't have anything against the Alienware, it is a fine laptop, a bit too gaudy for my tastes, and although I would be proud to own one, I just haven't brought myself to purchase one, yet.

I guess the one thought I have is the prohibitive cost - I would feel like I would need to keep it well past it's functional prime in order to justify the use vs cost. I would feel like I would be stuck with less performance in the long run than I would get with Asus and turning it over for a newer model a couple of years later. I would feel I would need to keep the Alienware for 5 years, or sell it at too much of a loss.

If you can get a new JX, or a nice well maintained used one, I would say, go for it! :)

Please come back and let us know what you end up getting, even if it is a Cool Alienware.

I did notice that it's the best one can get in terms of cost, it sure delivers a lot for less.

This JH sure is a beast, didn't know this model and found a ending auction on ebay at a reasonable price so far, sure i'll place a bid on it.

I see your point about Alienware, well, my intention is to use it for a few years, so i'm fine with it.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts, i'll be placing a bid on both Alienware 17 and JH, if none of them ends in my budget i'll be getting JX.

Have a nice week, as soon as i have the notebook in hands i'll be posting in here = )

yardiego
08-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Ended buying a ASUS G750JH! The price wasn't the best one can get, still i think it's worth for the reasons you guys listed above! It's a good gaming laptop.

I posted the same question on alienwareowners forum and found way more feedback here, a active community, it also makes difference for a inexperienced user so i'm glad with it. Well, still it got U$300 over my budget :p

Thank you all again!

hmscott
08-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Ended buying a ASUS G750JH! The price wasn't the best one can get, still i think it's worth for the reasons you guys listed above! It's a good gaming laptop.
I posted the same question on alienwareowners forum and found way more feedback here, a active community, it also makes difference for a inexperienced user so i'm glad with it. Well, still it got U$300 over my budget :p
Thank you all again!

yardiego, congratulations on getting the JH! $300 over budget, but what is the price you landed the JH?

First thing to do is to back up the recovery partition, using Asus Backtracker - to a USB 3.0 flash drive. Then you can fool around with the OS and if you get into a position you can't back out of, you can boot on the flash recovery drive and in a few minutes be back at the original Asus OEM Windows install.

Doing a clean install from Microsoft media doesn't give you any more performance, but requires you to hunt down and reinstall stuff that is already included in the Asus OEM Windows install. For people that lost their chance at creating a flash recovery with Asus Backtracker, before they ran into problems, there are instructions on how to do a clean install, but it is much easier and less time consuming to use the Asus build, and remove a few Asus tools that are problematic than to go through the whole clean install process.

Here is what I uninstall:

1) Asus Splendid - fools with color balance, causing an unpleasant color shift to the screen.
2) Asus Power4Gear - unneeded it forces it's Power Plans into play when you go from AC to batter, and back. Uninstall and use Windows standard power plans, P4G adds nothing.
3) Asus Live Update - doesn't keep up with Windows driver updates, as new updates occur in the JM/JS/JZ areas now, Asus isn't updating the drivers in the JW/JX/JH areas.
4) Asus Vibe - a media store, it's worth checking out, but I uninstall it.
5) Asus DVD - an old version, set to index all media, it adds a load to your CPU/disk while indexing all your media, some new users think something is wrong, but it is just this. I use a new version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultimate 14 via subscription - don't forget to delete the folders listed in it's media indexing too :)
6) Asus Gaming Mouse - caused crashes for some, if you have an Asus Gaming Mouse uninstall the one that comes with the laptop and find a new one.
7) Asus Power2Go - old version - if you need it get a new version from Cyberlink.

After you get the JH, and have it in the initial state, after the Asus Backtracker backup, you can download the latest Windows 8.1 drivers from a number of locations(listed below) - takes a little time to dig them out from all the locations, but in the long run updated drivers solve most complaints, so you might as well start out completely updated. You can get the list of what you need by looking at what is in the Programs and Features listing of what is installed and what version you have.

Most Windows 8.1 drivers can be installed on Windows 8.0 - the download for the 8.0 version is the same download - so you can save time just doing it once.

Do all the Windows 8.0 Microsoft Updates first, optional ones too - except for Bing :) - then if you are going to stay on Windows 8.0 install the Windows 8.1 driver updates - but if you are going to upgrade to 8.1 (recommended) then don't do the Windows 8.1 driver updates until you have upgraded to Windows 8.1 and do all the Windows 8.1 Microsoft Updates.

Here is the list of places I look for updates for my G750JH; the best way to get a stable fully functioning G750/G751 is to update all the drivers / apps to the latest Windows 8.1 release.

The G750JW/JX/JH/JM/JS/JZ download areas haven't had new updates for a while, BIOS updates still happen in your model's support area, so check there from time to time.

The G750/G751/551/500/etc share the same basic hardware components; check support download areas for new hardware for newer drivers.

Asus maintains central support areas for hardware component features common to all products, those areas usually have the latest drivers after new hardware releases, sometimes there is a lag before the newer drivers show up there, so still to new product releases support downloads for the latest drivers.

Asus G751 Support / Download areas - Asus hasn't updated all the versions of these support areas, this link discusses the 3 locations were started independantly and not sync'd/updated through to the latest driver releases - check them all to be sure.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55572-Asus-G751-Support-Download-areas&p=461698&viewfull=1#post461698

This G751JM/JT/JY/JL download area has the latest drivers of all the G750/G751 support download areas:

G751 Support / Download Areas - Newest - has all 4 G751 models
http://www.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=g751

G750 Support / Download Areas - Newest - has the G750JY/JZ/JS/JM/JH models
http://www.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=g750

G750JX - new support location, updates?
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JX/

G750JW - new support location, updates?
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JW/

Here are the latest Asus posted VGA drivers currently 347.25 ; it's better to get the latest from Nvidia - 347.88

Asus doesn't modify the drivers, they release the identical driver packages as Nvidia releases.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&s=111

Notebook Audio drivers - Realtek 7443 - current confirmed to work on G751/G750, some G750 users say 7335 works best for them, if you find a newer release version that works, please let us all know which version and G750/G751 model it works on.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&os=30

Notebook Card Reader (realtek) G750 / G751(?)
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Card+reader&os=30

Notebook Bluetooth drivers
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Bluetooth&p=3&ft=27&os=30

Notebook WLAN drivers (no Intel)
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=WLAN&os=3

Notebook LAN drivers
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=589&m=LAN&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

KBFilter driver
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=KBFilter&hashedid=n%2fa

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1 download
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

Asus Backtracker FAQ
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008640/

Asus SmartGesture
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+Smart+Gesture&hashedid=n%2fa

Asus Touchpad
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Touchpad&os=30

Asus ATK Package
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK%20Package&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, currently at release 2.7.9.0 for the G750JW/JX/JH and G751JT/JY
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics%20cards&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ and other new ROG laptops with Optimus
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa

Here are the Asus posted VGA drivers, it's better to get the latest from Nvidia - currently 347.88
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&s=111

Nvidia Drivers direct from Nvidia
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Asus stopped updating their Intel INFUpdate support area, so go directly to Intel to get the latest chipset INF - currently 10.0.26
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

For the G750JH/JZ RAID and G751JY PCIE SSD, or if you have implemented RAID, the latest SetupRST.exe is currently 13.6.0.1002
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel+RS T%29+RAID+Driver

A couple of tools to get:

HWinfo64 - normal mode shows lots of current status info, and inventory of installed components - like Monitor
sensors only mode is what I run to monitor temps and look for Thermal Throttling.
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

CPU-Z quick app/dialogs for getting CPU, Memory, motherboard, SPD info.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

GPU-Z has GPU info, and a Sensors tab for monitoring temps, speeds, load, resource usage on GPU.
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2397/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-7-9-w-asus-rog-skin/

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU - currently version 5.1 - for unlocking multi-pliers in CPU - for laptops with excellent cooling - G750 :)
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3483

If you have a Chi Mei screen, you can increase the Refresh up to 100hz, 85hz and over fixes all screening flicker, use Nvidia Control Panel, Custom Resolution, to create a 1920x1080x100hz profile.

The AUO screen can do 70hz, but has no problem with flickering. The AUO screen is way bright, I run mine at 70%. The ChiMei can run at 100% brightness.

There are lots of great threads here on the G750 Forum, so dive in and have fun!

yardiego
08-28-2014, 05:26 PM
hmscott, that's a lot of good advices, i'll be sure to take a look at it again when i have the laptop in hands ;)

Btw, i paid U$1470 on it (almost new unit), please don't tell me it's not a good deal cause i may cry, it's the most expensive laptop i ever bought xD

Unfortunatelly, i'll get it only after september 10, that's when i'm coming to the us.

hmscott
08-28-2014, 05:47 PM
hmscott, that's a lot of good advices, i'll be sure to take a look at it again when i have the laptop in hands ;)
Btw, i paid U$1470 on it (almost new unit), please don't tell me it's not a good deal cause i may cry, it's the most expensive laptop i ever bought xD
Unfortunatelly, i'll get it only after september 10, that's when i'm coming to the us.

yardiego, that's a fair price, the prices have gone up on the JW/JX/JH, depending on condition and where you get it. I see they are $1629 new on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/G750JX-DB71-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black-Model/dp/B00COQIKKA/ref=sr_1_1/175-6524558-6554424?ie=UTF8&qid=1409247864&sr=8-1&keywords=g750jx-db71

Be sure you contact Asus in your Country to make sure you can get international warranty support... at least for a charge service if needed, for your US purchased JX.

See if you can get the ROG Nomad backpack... it's a nice bag for the G750:

ASUS Republic of Gamers Nomad Backpack for All 17-Inch G-Series Notebooks
http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Backpack-17-Inch-G-Series-Notebooks/dp/B00IR79QWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409248062&sr=8-1&keywords=rog+nomad

You want to protect your investment with a good laptop bag, whatever you end up getting, make sure you actually try the G750 in the bag before you purchase it - the odd shape of the G750 looks like it will fit in bags that is can't quite squeeze into.

I hope you have a nice visit to the US! :)

yardiego
08-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Well, this amazon link provided different specs for the one i got. Ah, now i see the reason why, i bought the G750JH-DB71, not the JX, as you strongly recommended :)

About the backpack, i thought this one would be a good choice:

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Shuttle-Backpack-G-Series-Notebooks/dp/B005KSZBOC

I can't really try before as i'm buying everything online, but in the end if it doesn't fits i can use for my old vaio.

Thanks! o/

hmscott
08-28-2014, 06:48 PM
Well, this amazon link provided different specs for the one i got. Ah, now i see the reason why, i bought the G750JH-DB71, not the JX, as you strongly recommended :)
About the backpack, i thought this one would be a good choice:
http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Shuttle-Backpack-G-Series-Notebooks/dp/B005KSZBOC
I can't really try before as i'm buying everything online, but in the end if it doesn't fits i can use for my old vaio.
Thanks! o/

yardiego, wow, you got a great price on a JH!! They are going for $2199 new/stock condition.

ASUS ROG G750JH-DB71 17.3-Inch Laptop
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-G750JH-DB71-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00EZ8BJNK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409251444&sr=1-1&keywords=g750jh-db71

That ROG Shuttle bag is nice, nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't hold much other than the laptop, I don't think it even has room for the Power Adapter... let alone a keyboard, extra battery, books, Macbook Air, Nexus 7, etc :)

The ROG Nomad has lots of cool spots to put things, here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grMy66NTCtM

It's solid on the back too, no slipping around when cornering quickly ;)

You might want to read the reviews on the Shuttle, a number of people couldn't get their laptop to fit well. And, the JH is the thickest and heaviest - it fits fine in the Nomad :)
http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Shuttle-Backpack-Notebooks-VERSION/dp/B005KSZBOC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409251762&sr=1-2&keywords=rog+shuttle

Or you could get this one, this is the one I use most of the time because it takes a beating and keeps looking new even after 5+ years of use:

Oakley Kitchen Sink
http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/bags-and-backpacks/backpackpromo/m0609

There was only one color/model when I got mine, that looks like this:
http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/new-arrivals/new-bags-and-packs/kitchen-sink/product/92060A?variant=887288724336

But, if I was getting one today, I might get the Steathly Black / Camo one:
http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/new-arrivals/new-bags-and-packs/kitchen-sink/product/92060A?variant=887288724329

Oh, yeah, Oakley makes cool sunglasses too!
http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sunglasses/polarized-sunglasses/merch-category/m0202

Snakefinger
08-31-2014, 03:45 AM
I just picked up a G750JX-DB71 yesterday for a very sweet deal...and I don't think I've turned it off for more than a few hours since unboxing it. It's awesome. I can't find much to criticize about it, beyond the rodeo of upgrading it from Windows 8 to 8.1 - about six hours when it was all said and done. That isn't the computer's fault, though. Considering the deal I got on it, I can't really complain about investing a few hours of my time. Curiously, the 30 day trial of McAfee and some of the other pre-installed bloatware disappeared after installing 8.1. Good riddance.

gazzacbr
08-31-2014, 10:48 AM
@Snakefinger: just a warning, in think the process of trying to actually get rid of the bloatware and McCrappee trial hosed my system.
after running the windows uninstaller (didnt work) and then downloading the real remover from their site my laptop never started up again.
although i consider that the good news as after a clean install i have not had any of the common problems mentioned on these forums (mainly asus vs manufacturer drivers)
but yes, i agree, JX is great. all the better without Optimess to worry about.

Snakefinger
08-31-2014, 12:21 PM
Thanks, G. Yeah, I wasn't really trying to get rid of McAfee. It just went away all by itself during the upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 - not sure what else went bye-bye in the process but, I can tell you that my G750JX is running flawlessly. Man, this thing is fast! I'm a big fan of Asus. I use a UX301 Ultrabook for business and when it came time to finally replace my five year-old HP desktop, I chose the G750JX based only on its specs, reviews from the experts and feedback from owners like yourself. I also ordered a GX950 gaming mouse from Amazon - not that I'm a huge gamer or anything - I just thought it would look cool.

Also, do I need to be concerned at all about upgrading the BIOS in my G750JX...or should I just leave well-enough alone? I'm hesitant to upgrade drivers/BIOS when I'm not having any issues.

yardiego
09-26-2014, 04:22 PM
So far so good :o

G750JH is really a beast, the most speedy laptop i ever had.

I can't really complain about anything besides windows 8, but sadly i'm getting used to it :p

I'm playing Tom's Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantom on it and i'm really impressed!

I haven't installed other games or softwares yet, but i'm going to do it soon.

Well, i think i'm going to be happy with this baby for at least 3 / 4 years or so ;)

Thanks you all for the advices o/

hmscott
09-26-2014, 05:04 PM
So far so good :o
G750JH is really a beast, the most speedy laptop i ever had.
I can't really complain about anything besides windows 8, but sadly i'm getting used to it :p
I'm playing Tom's Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantom on it and i'm really impressed!
I haven't installed other games or softwares yet, but i'm going to do it soon.
Well, i think i'm going to be happy with this baby for at least 3 / 4 years or so ;)
Thanks you all for the advices o/

yardiego, sounds great :)

Glad to hear you are having fun with the JH, it is a great laptop, as are all Asus G750 models :)

Lots of sales on Steam - if you aren't hunting up software there yet, give it a try.

Check in again when you are ready to update to WIndows 8.1 :)

gazzacbr
09-28-2014, 09:21 AM
...do I need to be concerned at all about upgrading the BIOS in my G750JX...or should I just leave well-enough alone? I'm hesitant to upgrade drivers/BIOS when I'm not having any issues.

this thread seems to be split from the original title...
op could change title or start new one?

the update to 208 is worth doing (i updated mine from 207 to 208) as it seemed to fix some speed problems for some but do not go to 209. you can find many reports of bad things happening after 209 update.
of course, double/tripple check you have downloaded the right bios update for your laptop ;)

hmscott
09-28-2014, 01:27 PM
this thread seems to be split from the original title...
op could change title or start new one?
the update to 208 is worth doing (i updated mine from 207 to 208) as it seemed to fix some speed problems for some but do not go to 209. you can find many reports of bad things happening after 209 update.
of course, double/tripple check you have downloaded the right bios update for your laptop ;)

yardiego originally started the thread to talk about which laptop to get, he wanted feedback on the JX, then he got a JH cheap, and we have been discussing it here.

Snakefinger, you might want to start a new thread to discuss your JX issues, or at least read the thread you are posting in, this one is now about the JH yardiego ended up getting. Even if this is a JX thread, your post doesn't fit, please start a new thread.

gazzacbr, I can't change titles, even of my own threads, so if you know how, please post it here :)