PDA

View Full Version : IRST Install

Tom Tromboni
08-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Can you please tell me the correct way to install the Intel rst driver.
for what are the files IRSTPatch, OverWriteSys, PNPINST64?
Greetings from Austria TOM

hmscott
08-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Can you please tell me the correct way to install the Intel rst driver.
for what are the files IRSTPatch, OverWriteSys, PNPINST64?
Greetings from Austria TOM

Tom, you want the SetupRST.exe, the latest version is 13.1.0.1058, here is the general RST download result:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&FamilyId=42&ProductID=2101&ProdId=2101

The 13.1.0.1058 download area:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24006&lang=eng&ProdId=2101

The SetupRST.exe for 13.1.0.1058
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24006/eng/SetupRST.exe&Lang=eng&Dwnldid=24006

I am running 13.1.0.1058 on my G750JH:

redduc900
08-28-2014, 04:23 PM
The IRST driver available through the Asus support site is in a *.zip format. After extracting the *.zip, open Device Manager--> Expand Storage Controllers--> Double click Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller--> Driver tab--> Update driver. Select "Browse my computer for driver software", and point it to the folder you extracted the contents of the *.zip to.

hmscott
08-28-2014, 04:31 PM
The IRST driver available through the Asus support site is in a *.zip format. After extracting the *.zip, open Device Manager--> Expand Storage Controllers--> Double click Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller--> Driver tab--> Update driver. Select "Browse my computer for driver software", and point it to the folder you extracted the contents of the *.zip to.

redduc, that doesn't update/install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application control for adjusting the configuration options...or install the latest driver.

Where are you downloading that zip file from, and what is the driver version number?

redduc900
08-28-2014, 04:44 PM
I downloaded it from here...

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JZ&p=3

... under "Others"--> Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver--> Version V13.0.0.1098

These are the files in the *.zip...

hmscott
08-28-2014, 04:51 PM
I downloaded it from here...

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JZ&p=3

... under "Others"--> Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver--> Version V13.0.0.1098

Redduc900, you might want to try the full Intel SetupRST.exe, with the front end app to view, configure, and verify the RAID0, it really helps performance B-)

redduc900
08-28-2014, 04:52 PM
I'll give it a shot... thanks Scott.

Edit: I installed the latest IRST app, disabled Write-cache buffer flushing, and set Cache-mode to "Write back".

hmscott
08-28-2014, 05:21 PM
I'll give it a shot... thanks Scott.

Edit: I installed the latest IRST app, disabled Write-cache buffer flushing, and set Cache-mode to "Write back".

redduc900, and your 4k write performance should have gone up 10x, along with some other improvements :)

You don't need to disable Write-cache buffer flushing for the speed improvement above, it does limit the number of writes to large bursts less often, but at the risk of losing data if there is a power outage - so don't run on AC without a battery... a laptop is pretty safe for this setting disabled, but it shouldn't be enabled for a desktop/server that isn't on a UPS.

Here is my current performance on my JH with 128GBx2 RAID0, do you have 2x256GB? It might be even better :)

Samsung 840 Pro 512GB for comparison

redduc900
08-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Do you have Link Power Management enabled or disabled? It's enabled on mine.

hmscott
08-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Do you have Link Power Management enabled or disabled? It's enabled on mine.

redduc900, I disabled it, but then again I am on AC power 99% of the time. I also don't sleep the drive, set to 0/never in Power Plan. I figure it isn't a spinning drive, and all I am doing by powering off the SSD is I am forcing a power on reset that will take time to come back online - and I loose the cache - kinda like the lag from a drive with the head parked. Keeping the power on an SSD all the time is good. :)

redduc900
08-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks again for the tips Scott. I disabled LPM and set the Turn off hard disk after--> Plugged in power option to Never. i have the same 2 x 128GB SSDs in RAID0. Here are my results after running CDM w/ the above changes made...

hmscott
08-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Thanks again for the tips Scott. I disabled LPM and set the Turn off hard disk after--> Plugged in power option to Never. i have the same 2 x 128GB SSDs in RAID0. Here are my results after running CDM w/ the above changes made...

redduc900, except for the READ speed, it all looks good :)

Did you do a Windows TRIM on the drive and reboot before the test?

Right click on the C drive icon, select Properties, Tools, Optimize/Defragment, and select the C drive to Optimize - make sure Windows thinks it is an SSD and not a Disk before running the Optimize.

If the RAID0 C drive shows as a Disk instead of an SSD, run this in a cmd shell started as Administrator

winsat formal

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>winsat formal
Windows System Assessment Tool
> Running the Formal Assessment
> Running: Feature Enumeration ''
> Run Time 00:00:00.00
> Running: WinSAT Direct3D Assessment '-aname DWM -time 10 -fbc 10 -disp off -no
rmalw 1 -alphaw 2 -width 1280 -height 1024 -winwidth C(1144) -winheight C(915) -
rendertotex 6 -rtdelta 3 -nolock'
> Assessing Desktop Graphics Performance

Let it finish, then reboot, then try the Optimize again, the RAID0 C drive should show up as an SSD now :)

redduc900
08-28-2014, 07:26 PM
I trimmed the drive and rebooted before running the test, and the drive is seen as an SSD in the Optimize Drive tool. So I'll have to figure out why the Read speed is low.

hmscott
08-28-2014, 07:57 PM
I trimmed the drive and rebooted before running the test, and the drive is seen as an SSD in the Optimize Drive tool. So I'll have to figure out why the Read speed is low.

redduc900, strange as it may seem, you might want to do a Disk type Defrag on the RAID0... I know it sounds weird, but I have seen this before - after doing all the updates, installs, removing the Pagefile/Hiberfil.sys you can benefit from a Defrag, once, and then rarely thereafter.

I use this program, bought it, and run it once in a while, after months and the performance drops significantly - I don't recommend doing it weekly/monthly/etc.

Raxco PerfectDisk - 30 day trial
http://download.raxco.com/perfectdisk-pro?utm_campaign=GOOGLE-US-perfectdisk&utm_source=PPC-Google&utm_content=LP&utm_term=perfect%20disk%20defragmenter&gclid=CJ6Wz9DdtsACFRaSfgodknsA_w

I set it up to optimize as a disk and run it completely through once, then set as an SSD, and enable real-time optimization at that point. Another JZ user did this and his Read score came up to over 1000MB/sec from your level.

Set Drive Preferences to Optimze as SMARTPlacement, detect drive - set to Internal HDD - do this and optimize once, then set back to SSD Optimize.

In the future you can right click Optimize SSD, after first pass it stops on Statistics, click on Drive Map - Select All - Defrag Selected Files - kinda like regular defrag but on SSD.

redduc900
08-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks Scott, I'll give it a go tonight after work.

Tom Tromboni
08-29-2014, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the tips.
The forum is great.
greetings Tom

redduc900
08-29-2014, 03:22 PM
That made all the difference Scott. Thanks again for your help.

hmscott
08-29-2014, 10:39 PM
That made all the difference Scott. Thanks again for your help.

redduc900, great results, that is what I see immediately after an SMARTPlacement Optimize. Leaving PerfectDisk run in the background automatically pre-ordering writes keeps the speed up there and fresh for quite a while.

I noticed I hadn't done a full SMARTPlacement Optimize for about 6 months, and doing it last night kicked up the numbers to where you are now again, but it levels back to what I posted above shortly thereafter, at least for me with lots of testing and installs/uninstalls happening all the time.

If you get on Raxco's mailing list they send out discount's every so often. Raxco also has the lowest overhead, fastest results, RAMDisk - a little expensive but if you wait for a sale it isn't too bad.

I have also used Diskkeeper and O&O Defrag - both good products, but PerfectDisk Pro was the first to offer full support for Windows 8.1 - fixed a bug I found promptly during that BETA, got great results, and has been consistently good for SSD Optimization.

redduc900
08-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Good to know... thank you.