PDA

View Full Version : Screen developing dark grey marks?

Darnassus
08-28-2014, 10:54 AM
My screen is developing dark gray marks.. the grey is the color of this chat box and I now have three of them. I thought they came with the screen, though I was very certain the one I see right now is new. It's tight at the top below the webcam to the left along the bezel.

What is going on...? Can I get this fixed..?

I'm always careful with my screen, I take good care of it.

The line is horizontal. --> \ like this. And nearly the same size as that backslash.

hmscott
08-28-2014, 01:40 PM
My screen is developing dark gray marks.. the grey is the color of this chat box and I now have three of them. I thought they came with the screen, though I was very certain the one I see right now is new. It's tight at the top below the webcam to the left along the bezel.
What is going on...? Can I get this fixed..?
I'm always careful with my screen, I take good care of it.
The line is horizontal. --> \ like this. And nearly the same size as that backslash.

Photo's?

lockeiv
08-28-2014, 05:21 PM
I seem to be developing the same problem on my G750JX-DB71 that I just bought almost one month ago. I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, they were taken with my phone. I will upload better photos when I get the chance.

In each of the three photos the cursor is pointing to the largest spot, though there are two more that I found recently, and I'll be damned if I didn't discover another smaller one during the course of writing this post. As you may see, it's more of a discoloration than a definite black/gray spot--it is more visible on lighter screens than darker ones. If anyone has suggestions for who I might call or whether this is covered under the manufacturer warranty, I would greatly appreciate it!

hmscott
08-28-2014, 05:54 PM
I seem to be developing the same problem on my G750JX-DB71 that I just bought almost one month ago. I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, they were taken with my phone. I will upload better photos when I get the chance.
In each of the three photos the cursor is pointing to the largest spot, though there are two more that I found recently, and I'll be damned if I didn't discover another smaller one during the course of writing this post. As you may see, it's more of a discoloration than a definite black/gray spot--it is more visible on lighter screens than darker ones. If anyone has suggestions for who I might call or whether this is covered under the manufacturer warranty, I would greatly appreciate it!

lockeiv, that is weird, almost like there is something occluding / blocking between the LCD and the Protective Plastic covering the LCD. Almost like a condensation spot.

You could try driving over and showing it to the seller/vendor - if you got it locally - or emailing images to them if they are remote - asking for help resolving this. If they refer you to Asus, then create a login here, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry stating the problem and attach a zip file of the images to the TI.

https://vip.asus.com

Please come back and let us know how it works out.

Darnassus, are those the spots you have too?

Darnassus
08-28-2014, 10:00 PM
No they're light grey scratch shaped marks and some spots.. almost like dead pixels..

hmscott
08-29-2014, 12:43 AM
No they're light grey scratch shaped marks and some spots.. almost like dead pixels..

Darnassus, it's kinda hard to debug without a visual of the visual issue... photo's?

lockeiv
08-29-2014, 01:41 AM
lockeiv, that is weird, almost like there is something occluding / blocking between the LCD and the Protective Plastic covering the LCD. Almost like a condensation spot.

You could try driving over and showing it to the seller/vendor - if you got it locally - or emailing images to them if they are remote - asking for help resolving this. If they refer you to Asus, then create a login here, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry stating the problem and attach a zip file of the images to the TI.

https://vip.asus.com

Please come back and let us know how it works out.

Darnassus, are those the spots you have too?
Well I'm embarrassed to say my problem and the solution were both much simpler than I made them out to be. I finally thought to give the screen a close look while the computer was turned off--and realized the spots were surface blemishes. A bit of solution and they wiped right away!

Sorry for the false alarm, but thanks for your quick and helpful reply! I'll come back next time I have a 'real' problem.

hmscott
08-29-2014, 01:52 AM
Well I'm embarrassed to say my problem and the solution were both much simpler than I made them out to be. I finally thought to give the screen a close look while the computer was turned off--and realized the spots were surface blemishes. A bit of solution and they wiped right away!

Sorry for the false alarm, but thanks for your quick and helpful reply! I'll come back next time I have a 'real' problem.

lockeiv, hey, it's a problem with a fix!

Glad to hear it was an easy fix :)

Darnassus
08-29-2014, 09:50 AM
It's a little difficult to photograph, I'll try sometime soon.

Darnassus
09-01-2014, 01:02 AM
Okay it's very bizarre, it seems there's something pressing against the screen from underneath the panel! Where ever I touch my screen, even on the bottom corners, it looks like I'm pressing against the mark, it's like there's something pressing underneath it, giving it no room.

Darnassus
09-04-2014, 03:06 AM
WHAT THE HELL!! It's MOVED!! It's moved around 1cm down from the bezel towards the center!! It looks like an Ant or something!

Darnassus
09-04-2014, 03:22 AM
God damn it, I think it's a thunderfly.. I need to get a suction cup..

Darnassus
09-04-2014, 03:40 AM
Uggh this takes the goddamn light bleeding issue to a whole new level. How the hell does a thunderbug get into the LCD panel.. can I claim warranty for this..?

hmscott
09-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Uggh this takes the goddamn light bleeding issue to a whole new level. How the hell does a thunderbug get into the LCD panel.. can I claim warranty for this..?

Darnassus, the Thunderbug likely got lost; she was looking for the Thunderbug Port ;)

Here, buggy, buggy, buggy, come on out and get the lovely...???...what do Thunderbugs eat?

Are they attracted to light?, you could do what the last guy did, and turn off all other lights, and put a bright light next to the laptop and the bug(s) walked out.

Darnassus
09-04-2014, 08:22 AM
That's what I'm thinking of doing, however I think I've squished it on accident.

I wonder if it's possible to dismantle the screen and remove it from the film layer.

hmscott
09-04-2014, 09:02 AM
That's what I'm thinking of doing, however I think I've squished it on accident.

I wonder if it's possible to dismantle the screen and remove it from the film layer.

Darnassus, with some laptop screens you can pop the edges, and I have used compressed air (not freeze mist) to lightly blow out stuff caught between the plastic protective layer and the screen. IDK about the G750, you might need to pop the top and pull the screen to get the edges to release. But, I think you are on the right track.

This just went up a couple of days ago.

How to Repair an Asus Laptop Screen Published by eBay August 29, 2014
http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Repair-an-Asus-Laptop-Screen-/10000000177770700/g.html

You could engage a 3rd party parts dealer as to how to separate the layers for potential replacement - not sure how acidic Thunderbug goo is... if you can't get the screen clean quickly you might need to replace the protective plastic - the goo might etch the plastic and leave a permanent mark - the LCD's are pretty tough.

Darnassus
09-04-2014, 11:17 AM
It looks like this

http://blog.lugru.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/bug-002.jpg

I don't think blowing air in the bezel edges will help.. ':f

hmscott
09-04-2014, 11:23 AM
It looks like this

http://blog.lugru.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/bug-002.jpg

I don't think blowing air in the bezel edges will help.. ':f

Darnassus, peeling back the layer would let you wipe it clean. I haven't taken a G750 screen apart, so I don't know how practical that will be...

Hard to tell from the photo just how juicy it is, and if a blast of air will push it toward the out.

Let us know what you figure out...

Darnassus
09-04-2014, 12:23 PM
How do you take the bezel off? I saw this here

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/726296-asus-g750-disassembly.html

And one of the photos shows the full front of the screen had come off. Am I to assume there's screws under the feet at the four corners of the screen?

EDIT: Turns out to be as such, will post back soon.