PDA

View Full Version : G750JS Ping(ms) Issue (Lag Spike)

Sharhebi
08-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi everyone, I just bought my new gaming laptop Asus G750JS and it's working fine, it has a week old and I noticed a small problem with my ping everytime I play MMO games like League of Legends. So the problem consists in having lag spikes repeatedly (the ping(ms) goes up instantly and then comes back to normal) it runs smoothly and my FPS are fine too, but from time to time my ping just shoots up to 200 or more and then comes back to 69 (the normal value i'm used to in other laptops).

I tried installing the latest wireless drive (Broadcom and Intel) in the asus support website and uninstalling the old one, it did no good, i also tried to reboot my router, but it also didnt change anything, I still have the same ping(ms) issue.

Hope someone can help me because I don't know what more to do to fix this issue. Thank you.
Regards Sharhebi.

EddieROG_DR
08-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Are you using connecting wireless or wired?

hmscott
08-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone, I just bought my new gaming laptop Asus G750JS and it's working fine, it has a week old and I noticed a small problem with my ping everytime I play MMO games like League of Legends. So the problem consists in having lag spikes repeatedly (the ping(ms) goes up instantly and then comes back to normal) it runs smoothly and my FPS are fine too, but from time to time my ping just shoots up to 200 or more and then comes back to 69 (the normal value i'm used to in other laptops).

I tried installing the latest wireless drive (Broadcom and Intel) in the asus support website and uninstalling the old one, it did no good, i also tried to reboot my router, but it also didnt change anything, I still have the same ping(ms) issue.

Hope someone can help me because I don't know what more to do to fix this issue. Thank you.
Regards Sharhebi.

Sharhebi, try running TCP Optimizer to tune your Windows config for your ISP download/upload speed, per this post/thread:

TCP Optimizer - Reduce lag, Increase throughput
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45433-TCP-Optimizer-Reduce-lag-Increase-throughput

The description makes it easy to set up the first time, reading all the support docs and forum posts there is up to you :)

Don't miss the point of doing it for the Ethernet and All adapters. Check that box.

Let us know if it helped.

Sharhebi
08-28-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm connecting via wireless, but i also tried connecting using Ethernet which it seemed to not have the same ping issue.

Thank you for the support, I'll try using the Optimizer, hope it'll be fixed. By the way, is Ookla's (speedtest.net) speed test reliable? =P

hmscott
08-28-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm connecting via wireless, but i also tried connecting using Ethernet which it seemed to not have the same ping issue.

Thank you for the support, I'll try using the Optimizer, hope it'll be fixed. By the way, is Ookla's (speedtest.net) speed test reliable? =P

Sharhebi, speedtest.net is as reliable as the endpoints tested against. There are times when one or more might be overloaded, your own timezone usage peaks will affect the outcome. I usually test during quiescent times when everyone is sleeping, then I have a good base to work from when testing during high load - or times I have problems - to compare.

Sharhebi
08-28-2014, 08:57 PM
hmscott, i did what you told me, downloaded TCP Optimizer, did everything as told on the TCP Optimizer thread and set the connection speed to 12 mbps, since my download speed is 11.83 mbps as shown on the speed test. Sadly i have to say that nothing happened to stop the ping spikes, the only thing that changed was that my average ping went up and now instead of being 69 is about 150 and still having ping spikes up to 300.

hmscott
08-28-2014, 09:04 PM
hmscott, i did what you told me, downloaded TCP Optimizer, did everything as told on the TCP Optimizer thread and set the connection speed to 12 mbps, since my download speed is 11.83 mbps as shown on the speed test. Sadly i have to say that nothing happened to stop the ping spikes, the only thing that changed was that my average ping went up and now instead of being 69 is about 150 and still having ping spikes up to 300.

Sharhebi, you ran it as Administrator, copied the settings in the dialogs, applied the settings, a dialog came up to show you the changes, and you applied the changes - and were asked to reboot, and then you re ran tests against various end points (just in case one got overloaded), and you get consistently worse ping times to every site?

Sharhebi
08-28-2014, 09:16 PM
I did, i ran it as Administrator, did everything as shown in the images but i set the network adapter to Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260, because wireless is the adapter I use the most, and that was the only thing different, the rest i did it all as shown in the images. About the speed tests, they show always the same, my ping is 22, but in-game (League) it's different, it's 69 as i said, and with these changes it went up to 150 with the same ping spikes i mentioned (300).

I even tried to set the connection speed to a slightly higher value, to see if it would change anything, but the average ping is still high and still has the same issue about the ping spikes.

hmscott
08-28-2014, 09:29 PM
I did, i ran it as Administrator, did everything as shown in the images but i set the network adapter to Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260, because wireless is the adapter I use the most, and that was the only thing different, the rest i did it all as shown in the images. About the speed tests, they show always the same, my ping is 22, but in-game (League) it's different, it's 69 as i said, and with these changes it went up to 150 with the same ping spikes i mentioned (300).

I even tried to set the connection speed to a slightly higher value, to see if it would change anything, but the average ping is still high and still has the same issue about the ping spikes.

Sharhebi, so the ping of 22 is the normal ping to a local endpoint, but your LOL pings are the problem and which were from 69 to 200 are now from 69 to 300?

You didn't say you rebooted after the TCP Optimizer settings, you need to reboot and have the network restart to take in the changes.

LOL has tons of problems, complaints by the 100k's, for many years, I don't know why people put up with it :)

But, googling for TCPOptimizer and League of Legends comes up with the same / similar settings to what you now have. You could keep googling for newer posts, there are lots of posts and it is hard to find newer ones over the noise of many years of older ones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tcpoptimizer+league+of+legends&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Sorry, but I think you are in with everyone else on this, it is just the way LOL network / server code runs. You could try other servers, have you tried any others?

I don't think you are going to find a fix other than tuning as good as you can and then get lucky with a good server load from time to time.

At least it isn't interrupting game play, for many it does.

Let us know if you come up with any improvements from your search :)

Don't forget, you automatically got a FirstBackup.spg you can use to revert to your old settings...

(why am I installing LoL...?)

Sharhebi
08-28-2014, 09:49 PM
hmscott, my ping in LoL was 69 with spikes of 1 or 2 seconds to 200 and now my normal ping (after using the TCP Optimizer) is 150 with ping spikes to 300.

I did reboot my pc as the TCP Optimizer asked me to, I forgot to say that =P.

I know LoL has tons of problem and complaints over the lag and ping problems, but before i bought this laptop, i had a Toshiba Qosmio and before that one a HP and both of them ran LoL smoothly without any ping spikes using the wireless adapter as well and the router being the same as it is now too, I only had lag or ping issues when other people had as well, but now with this laptop, using the wireless adapter, i have these issues (ping spikes) even when others dont have them, it's just happening all the time. On top of that, i used my Ethernet cable to connect too just 2 hours ago and LoL ran without any lag spikes, so it must mean that it's a wireless problem and not a LoL problem or a router problem.

Oh and trying other servers is useless, it would only make it worse, even the average ping would be much higher, EU West server is the best for where I live xD.

I hope i could explain myself clearly, what i'm trying to prove is that this is a wireless problem and not a LoL problem or a router problem.

Sharhebi
08-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Don't install LoL, you dont need to bother about it xD, I also play CS GO and it's the same thing.

Oh by the way, that thread on google about LoL on the link you posted was on 2011, no one seems to have the same issue as I do, at least my friends play with me using my router at my house and they dont have that issue, just to add this info so you can understand it's not a LoL problem.

hmscott
08-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Don't install LoL, you dont need to bother about it xD, I also play CS GO and it's the same thing.

Oh by the way, that thread on google about LoL on the link you posted was on 2011, no one seems to have the same issue as I do, at least my friends play with me using my router at my house and they dont have that issue, just to add this info so you can understand it's not a LoL problem.

Sharhebi, sorry man, can't help you, I don't think anyone can, but if you do find a solution(s), please post them back here.

Sharhebi
08-28-2014, 10:42 PM
Ok, I guess I'll have to keep looking, but I can asure you, I play LoL for over 2 years, I know when it's a LoL problem and when it's not, I have my HP laptop connected right next to the G750JS and I'm running LoL games for 5 and 10 minutes to test if I still have ping spikes, It's odd that a old HP doesnt have lag spikes and the G750 has, not to mention again the fact that connected to Ethernet the lag spikes disappear (on the G750, the HP doesnt have that issue either ways).

I'll keep searching anyway, thank you for the support I really appreaciate it, tell me if you found a way to fix this, I really believe it's a wireless issue, it's too many facts pointing at the same direction in my opinion.

Sharhebi
08-28-2014, 10:44 PM
It's ok, thank you for everything and for your availability to help me =)

hmscott
08-29-2014, 12:41 AM
It's ok, thank you for everything and for your availability to help me =)

Sharhebi, np, since it isn't affecting game play I wouldn't worry about it, plug in the Ethernet and go lag free.

Or spend some happy hours here...About 1,480,000 results :)
https://www.google.com/search?num=50&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=gaming+lag+on+wifi&oq=gaming+lag+on+wifi

Sharhebi
08-29-2014, 06:11 PM
It's affecting a little bit because it's lagging from minute to minute, but yeah i'm plugging it to the Ethernet since it doesnt lag, even though its a bit less practical.

I wonder, do you think that installing Windows 7 would solve my problem?

hmscott
08-29-2014, 10:49 PM
It's affecting a little bit because it's lagging from minute to minute, but yeah i'm plugging it to the Ethernet since it doesnt lag, even though its a bit less practical.

I wonder, do you think that installing Windows 7 would solve my problem?

Sharhebi, I haven't tried your Wifi card on Windows 7 so I don't know. Windows 8/8.1 haven't been a problem for networking, so I would tend towards no. Even if it was cured by running on Windows 7, going that far back in Windows tech isn't worth it.

You will figure it out sometime - it isn't something that should be happening - but then again Wifi isn't where gaming is best anyway.

You can likely get some mileage out of tuning your router options, learning Wifi tech and making it do what you want. It took me several routers to find that the Dlink DIR-655, Netgear WNDR3700, and Asus RT-68U / RT-66U with updated firmware worked flawlessly - until the Netgear 2.4ghz radio burned out.

It is a never ending learning and experimentation with options situation to get the best Wifi performance. If you luck into a config that works without doing anything - enjoy it - just because it is working for you doesn't mean it won't be problematic for another application/function. :)

I put the "wireless" between the keyboard / trackpad / headphones and laptop, and leave the laptop off my lap and on the desk / table / stand - wired up for best performance, and wired to other devices which is unwieldy when used as a laptop.

The G750 is a huge device anyway, not exactly comfortable for long hours of working and/or gaming while sitting on your lap :)

Keep at it in your spare time, and report back when you find a setting / combination of hardware that works best.