PDA

View Full Version : G750JS Fan inconsistency going to 100% even on low Temps.

Renraven
08-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Hi there,

bought a G750JS a few days ago and so far I am really happy about it.

Just one thing really bugs me, the CPU Fan is very silent but sometimes it increases to 100% (I guess) for a few seconds and goes down again.

I did stress tests and undervolting and even @ 85C the Fan does not reach that level. There is no Temperature Issue, it happens in Windows and while gaming from any thing between 40 and 85 and I have NO Idea why ...

What I noticed (maybe I'm getting paranoid) that it seems to be affected by the way I hold the Notebook ... tilting the Notebook towards me make the fan louder, tilting it back and it goes down again ...

Since there is no software to change the CPU Fan I cannot say anything about the actual speed but I am fairly sure it goes up to 100%.

I'm a bit worried something might be wrong because that level of noise was not even reached when I stress tested with various tools.
I also re-installed Windows (bought a version without SSD because I still had one) so no Bloatware or any ASUS software installed.

Any Info and help appreciated, sadly "fan" is too short to search for and browsing around I did not find anything :(

Alex

//EDIT

Aaaand of course I stumble upon something AFTER posting ... this sounds quite like my Issue.. not sure where I can see the JHA JXA JWA Part though ?

"4. There seems to be a quirk with the new JHA, JXA, JWA(?) models, they have a new touchy / notchy fan profile. The symptom is the fan is off when the laptop is idle, but if you do anything at all the fan whooshes up and then down between CPU activity.

The original JW/JX fans don't kick in for quite a while, letting things heat up, before making noise with the fan - which as it turns out is pretty cool, pardon the pun.

A BIOS fix from Asus could change the fan profile, until then you could find something to run in the background to keep the heat up and the fan on (which is quiet when running at low speed) so as to avoid the whooshing on/off action. I run BOINC and FHA, but not for the same reason. Both of these can be tuned for limited / specific background load."

//EDIT 2
See recent Post:
OK I think I really need to RMA .. I tested around further with and without NBFC enabled, undervolting, stress testing but now it seems the CPU Fan is not kickin in at all .. I get idle temperatures in windows up to 90 ! and thermal throttling after a minute of stress testing

hmscott
08-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Hi there,
bought a G750JS a few days ago and so far I am really happy about it.
Just one thing really bugs me, the CPU Fan is very silent but sometimes it increases to 100% (I guess) for a few seconds and goes down again.
I did stress tests and undervolting and even @ 85C the Fan does not reach that level. There is no Temperature Issue, it happens in Windows and while gaming from any thing between 40 and 85 and I have NO Idea why ...
What I noticed (maybe I'm getting paranoid) that it seems to be affected by the way I hold the Notebook ... tilting the Notebook towards me make the fan louder, tilting it back and it goes down again ...
Since there is no software to change the CPU Fan I cannot say anything about the actual speed but I am fairly sure it goes up to 100%.
I'm a bit worried something might be wrong because that level of noise was not even reached when I stress tested with various tools.
I also re-installed Windows (bought a version without SSD because I still had one) so no Bloatware or any ASUS software installed.
Any Info and help appreciated, sadly "fan" is too short to search for and browsing around I did not find anything :(
Alex

Alex, holding a fan off angle can change the loading on the bearings and change the noise a fan makes. But are you saying holding it at an angle starts the fan to spin at 100%?

There is a program that will adjust the fan speed on the G750 CPU, but it isn't very full featured, though it might be worth experimenting with.

The newest version 1.11.19 works for my G750JH, using the Asus M52VA config, installed, changed settings to start with Windows and minimize to systray, and rebooted.

"Finally NBFC is out of beta!"
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1070494

Screenshots
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=6c34bd33ac55ce36&id=6C34BD33AC55CE36!1061&action=Share

Download
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=6c34bd33ac55ce36&id=6C34BD33AC55CE36!1060&action=Share

It sounds like RMA is a good idea if it is really annoying or keeps getting stuck on high 100% without high temps, or return to vendor if you can - much faster than RMA.

I see your update, yes, I wrote that - and if that is what you are seeing, it is just normal Asus G750 Fan curve behavior - staying quiet for most of the time during idle and then the fan kicks up to 100% and cools off and spins down - it gets triggered but without sustained load / heat the fan will immediately spin down.

I guess you have to decide if it is just annoying, or a fault :)

You can hear the real 100% CPU fan speed by running prime95, 8 threads FFT, and watch the temps with hwinfo64.

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

Some of the download links aren't working, here is the direct one for Windows x64:
http://download.mersenne.ca/gimps/p95v285.win64.zip

Here is what it looks like temp wise after a couple of minutes run, I often use prime95 to test OC and vet laptops, PC's, Power supplies, etc.

Hucker42
08-28-2014, 08:43 PM
I had the same problem with my first JS I RMA'd and second unit has not displayed the same issue. I think from looking around this is a common issue. Get it returned while you can.[/B]

cpuz158
08-28-2014, 11:27 PM
It looks like a kind of hardware issue or it's possible that thermal paste is not well painted on CPU or GPU.
When you face G750, left side fan covers CPU, right side fan covers GPU.
So mostly, while you don't play 3D games, only left side fan will be spinning.
And this should be silent. G750 is well made of low-noise, low-temperature(keep cooling down) so if CPU don't get into stress test, most of the time left side fan will be continuous silent.

If you bought new one, then I strongly recommend you to get it returned.
I hope you get it fixed soon, I know how you feel with new laptop that comes with annoying problems.

Renraven
08-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all the Input so far! I am trying NBFC at the moment and see if that fixes the issue, should it happen again I know there is something wrong ..

Renraven
08-30-2014, 04:55 AM
OK I think I really need to RMA .. I tested around further with and without NBFC enabled, undervolting, stress testing but now it seems the CPU Fan is not kickin in at all .. I get idle temperatures in windows up to 90 ! and thermal throttling after a minute of stress testing :(

hmscott
08-30-2014, 07:23 AM
OK I think I really need to RMA .. I tested around further with and without NBFC enabled, undervolting, stress testing but now it seems the CPU Fan is not kickin in at all .. I get idle temperatures in windows up to 90 ! and thermal throttling after a minute of stress testing :(

Renraven, I'm glad you were able to debug it to the point of being certain yourself. That is why stress testing, temperature /performance monitoring, XTU/Asus Tweak tool, etc all play into the initial acceptance testing for a new G750/Asus laptop. Also, make sure you test all the hardware ports to make sure they are working :)

Now you know how to test your next one :)

Please come back and let us know how the RMA goes, and how long it takes.

Renraven
08-30-2014, 07:38 AM
Hope the next one will be better, I really like it so far and it sooo silent compared to the Gigabyte P35W2 so I'll definitely will get a new one.

Slightly offtopic but does anyone know what the difference is between all those model numbers (T4014, 4155, 4167, etc) ? I know about the HDD difference but I thought I might snatch a cheap one with no HDD at all ..