PDA

View Full Version : G750JX - Issues Restoring to Factory

Dopp0
09-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have an ASUS ROG G750JX (the label says J only, but it came with 1 HD SSD and 1 Regular HD), and I`m not able to restore the windows to factory settings. It didn`t came with recovery media, and I hadn`t deleted any partitions at all, but when I choose the settings to restore from factory, it says "MISSING MEDIA".

Below is a screenshot of the partitions to prove I have not deleted it:

I've backup up my files to E:\ (non SSD disk), now I just need to reset the main partition to windows 8.0.

PS1) I've upgraded the Windows to 8.1
PS2) I've bought the "Pro with Media Center" to run Hyper-V on the machine

Can anyone please help?!

Solution posted by me on page 2

redduc900
09-03-2014, 03:49 PM
After pressing F9 during POST and when at the Options menu, select Troubleshoot--> Reset your PC--> Only the drive where Windows is installed--> Just remove my files.

How to refresh or reset system on Windows 8 pre-installed Notebook PC ?
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1003728

Clintlgm
09-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have an ASUS ROG G750JX (the label says J only, but it came with 1 HD SSD and 1 Regular HD), and I`m not able to restore the windows to factory settings. It didn`t came with recovery media, and I hadn`t deleted any partitions at all, but when I choose the settings to restore from factory, it says "MISSING MEDIA".

I've backup up my files to E:\ (non SSD disk), now I just need to reset the main partition to windows 8.0.

Can anyone please help?!

See this thread on the eight forum (http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/39197-unable-use-built-asus-recovery-partition-2.html)this was a common problem 8.1 wipes out the factory recovery Image.

hmscott
09-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please help?!

Dopp0, the recovery partition is still there so you can Asus Backtracker to create a 16GB USB 3.0 Flash drive to boot from to do a recovery restore of Windows 8.

The F9 entry may have been messed with by the Windows 8.1 update, but Asus Backtracker can still be used to create the 16GB USB 3.0 Flash drive.

Don't forget to back up all your stuff, on all your partitions, and/or remove the 2nd bay drive if you want to preserve what is on it, as the Recovery Flash boot restore will delete all the partitions on internal disks it finds to remake the partitions and restore the OS as it was out of the box.

Someone recently said they had problems with v3.0.7 of Backtracker, but v3.0.3 worked fine. Here is where to download the installers which install on Windows 8.0/8.1:

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

Let us know how it works out :)

pokemon5s4
09-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Hi, i own a 750jz that had 1T hdd in raid. I tried to take out 1 of the hnd and replace a ssd yesterday but it does work. I guess something wrong must had happened. Later that i put back the hdd and try to start up as raid but it failed. Now i saw a total of 4 partition in my pc after changing the sata connection to achi mode. I wondering is it possible to do a factory reset to back to the original raid mode state instead. Thanks !

hmscott
09-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Hi, i own a 750jz that had 1T hdd in raid. I tried to take out 1 of the hnd and replace a ssd yesterday but it does work. I guess something wrong must had happened. Later that i put back the hdd and try to start up as raid but it failed. Now i saw a total of 4 partition in my pc after changing the sata connection to achi mode. I wondering is it possible to do a factory reset to back to the original raid mode state instead. Thanks !

pokemon5s4, on a JZ/JH the RAID0 is done with 2 M.2 NGFF SSD's installed on an expansion card taking up 1 bay. If you removed them, and put them back, and the partitions show up, you can try using Asus Backtracker to create a Flash recovery drive, you need 16GB and I recommend a fast USB 3.0 drive to shorten the creation and restore times greatly over a USB 2.0 flash drive.

Then you can either try an F9 reset, or boot on the Asus Backtracker created flash drive and use that for restore back to out of the box configuration. Be sure to pull the 1TB drive before doing the restore if you want to preserve the data on it, the Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive will delete all the partitions on the internal drives it finds and recreate the original partitioning before restoring the OS/apps.

Be sure and backup all your personal stuff on the C drive too before doing the restore.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

Dopp0
09-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Dopp0, the recovery partition is still there so you can Asus Backtracker to create a 16GB USB 3.0 Flash drive to boot from to do a recovery restore of Windows 8.

The F9 entry may have been messed with by the Windows 8.1 update, but Asus Backtracker can still be used to create the 16GB USB 3.0 Flash drive.

Don't forget to back up all your stuff, on all your partitions, and/or remove the 2nd bay drive if you want to preserve what is on it, as the Recovery Flash boot restore will delete all the partitions on internal disks it finds to remake the partitions and restore the OS as it was out of the box.

Someone recently said they had problems with v3.0.7 of Backtracker, but v3.0.3 worked fine. Here is where to download the installers which install on Windows 8.0/8.1:

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

Let us know how it works out :)

Hi, i`ll give it a try, because 3.0.7 failed with the message "cant find the recovery partition" :(
I've downloaded a 8.1 iso and I'll try to make a fresh install, but I'm not sure how to work with the keys:

1) Does the installer read the key from BIOS automatically?
2) I've downloaded a 8.1 ISO, and my original windows was 8.0 (then I bought PRO + MEDIA) and then I've upgraded to 8.1. Is there any issues?

If it succeeds, i'll download the drivers later, but any info is appreciated!

hmscott
09-03-2014, 11:59 PM
Hi, i`ll give it a try, because 3.0.7 failed with the message "cant find the recovery partition" :(
I've downloaded a 8.1 iso and I'll try to make a fresh install, but I'm not sure how to work with the keys:

1) Does the installer read the key from BIOS automatically?
2) I've downloaded a 8.1 ISO, and my original windows was 8.0 (then I bought PRO + MEDIA) and then I've upgraded to 8.1. Is there any issues?

If it succeeds, i'll download the drivers later, but any info is appreciated!

Dopp0, if 3.0.7 failed, then try 3.0.3 as suggested above, here is the link to download it:

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.0/8.1

After you create the Asus Backtracker flash drive, you can use it to restore back to the out of the box config, and after uninstalling Asus Splendid, Power4gear - you are good to go.

I can't help you with the clean install, but there are threads here that cover it. :)

Dopp0
09-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Dopp0, if 3.0.7 failed, then try 3.0.3 as suggested above, here is the link to download it:

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.0/8.1

After you create the Asus Backtracker flash drive, you can use it to restore back to the out of the box config, and after uninstalling Asus Splendid, Power4gear - you are good to go.

I can't help you with the clean install, but there are threads here that cover it. :)

If failed! :(
"Factory partition not found"

I'll look for other threads, but thanks anyway!

hmscott
09-04-2014, 12:26 AM
If failed! :(
"Factory partition not found"

I'll look for other threads, but thanks anyway!

Dopp0, that is too bad... you know you can return the laptop to the vendor/seller to swap for a new one, and then first thing create the Backtracker recvoery flash drive so you don't find yourself in this position again.

You can also RMA to Asus get the OS reloaded.

If you have a local friend, or a seller with a JZ you can ask them to briefly use their JZ to create the Backtracker Recovery flash drive to restore your JZ.

I don't envy you doing the build from scratch... let us know how it works out.

Good luck!

Dopp0
09-04-2014, 01:08 AM
Dopp0, that is too bad... you know you can return the laptop to the vendor/seller to swap for a new one, and then first thing create the Backtracker recvoery flash drive so you don't find yourself in this position again.

You can also RMA to Asus get the OS reloaded.

If you have a local friend, or a seller with a JZ you can ask them to briefly use their JZ to create the Backtracker Recovery flash drive to restore your JZ.

I don't envy you doing the build from scratch... let us know how it works out.

Good luck!

If I had local support from ASUS, I would be getting the notebook there, but as I imported it, that's not an option.
I'm trying to get the media with the supplier who sold me, but I don't think he'll be able to do that. I really didn't expect the upgrade to 8.1 to break such a feature, MS should warn people about this! :(

hmscott
09-04-2014, 02:50 AM
If I had local support from ASUS, I would be getting the notebook there, but as I imported it, that's not an option.
I'm trying to get the media with the supplier who sold me, but I don't think he'll be able to do that. I really didn't expect the upgrade to 8.1 to break such a feature, MS should warn people about this! :(

Dopp0, there have been others that have successfully created an Asus Backtracker flash drive after upgrading to Windows 8.1... but it is always best to do it right away before making changes to the laptop.

Sorry to hear you have to do the extra work of doing a Microsoft Media install. When you are done you can do a Macrium Reflect backup that you can restore later with similar effect -- getting back your config - it is well documented and their staff is very helpful.

http://www.macrium.com/

Dopp0
09-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Finally solved the issue.

Using the mega download to restore led to the same message: Restore partition not found, which is bizarre, as the restore partition SHOULD be the pendrive! :-)

The steps I made to make a clean install, given that the windows that came with my notebook was Windows 8 Core:

- Retrieved the OEM Key from BIOS (downloaded RW Everything -> ACPI -> Data)
- Downloaded Windows 8.1 multiple editions (from mydigitallife, won't link because it might be illegal for some)
- Installed using a generic key for CORE
- Unninstalled the product Key: slmgr /dlv (CMD -> Administrator mode)
- Applied the OEM key (because Windows did not found by itself, maybe because the key was for 8 and not 8.1)
- Downloaded all the drivers/utils I needed from ASUS website.

Now I'll take a look at MACRIUM to create a restore image.

The only bizarre thing I'm still trying to fix is that, when booting, I'm being presented to a choose an OS to boot: Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 (default). It might be because of some previous tries I made, is there a safe way to remove the Windows 8 option?).

I installed in HD 1 (SSD), but the HDD 0 has some partitions, can I remove them safely without affecting my OS at all, right? As I did a clean install, Windows should not touch anything from HDD 0 at all, but I'd like to confirm.

If anyone needs help restoring a JX and didn't understand my steps, get in touch with PM :-)

Tks for all the help!

hmscott
09-08-2014, 12:49 AM
Finally solved the issue.

Using the mega download to restore led to the same message: Restore partition not found, which is bizarre, as the restore partition SHOULD be the pendrive! :-)
The steps I made to make a clean install, given that the windows that came with my notebook was Windows 8 Core:
- Retrieved the OEM Key from BIOS (downloaded RW Everything -> ACPI -> Data)
- Downloaded Windows 8.1 multiple editions (from mydigitallife, won't link because it might be illegal for some)
- Installed using a generic key for CORE
- Unninstalled the product Key: slmgr /dlv (CMD -> Administrator mode)
- Applied the OEM key (because Windows did not found by itself, maybe because the key was for 8 and not 8.1)
- Downloaded all the drivers/utils I needed from ASUS website.
Now I'll take a look at MACRIUM to create a restore image.
The only bizarre thing I'm still trying to fix is that, when booting, I'm being presented to a choose an OS to boot: Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 (default). It might be because of some previous tries I made, is there a safe way to remove the Windows 8 option?).
I installed in HD 1 (SSD), but the HDD 0 has some partitions, can I remove them safely without affecting my OS at all, right? As I did a clean install, Windows should not touch anything from HDD 0 at all, but I'd like to confirm.
If anyone needs help restoring a JX and didn't understand my steps, get in touch with PM :-)
Tks for all the help!

Dopp0, nice job :)

How long did it take from start to finish?

That is weird about the multiple boot options, the install of Windows 8.1 should have cleaned that up - even an upgrade install would get rid of the Windows 8 boot option, do you have a Windows.old folder at the top level of the C drive?

Google bcd remove boot option

Before you do, have you tried selecting and booting on the Windows 8 option? It must fail, but...if you installed a Windows 8.0/8.1 dual-boot you will have a bit more than a bcdedit to perform ;)