PDA

View Full Version : Asus Rog G550JK-DS71 problems Asus Can't Fix

kahale
09-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Hi I been having trouble for weeks with my new asus g5560jk ds71 and have rma it twice and asus still cannot fix the problem I'm having. I'm so sick of the asus rma department. I thought I post here and see what other have or are experiencing the laptop. I will never buy Asus products again. Its disappointing because I usually have good experiences with asus products.

My issues so far

-Bluetooth disconnects and reconnects if I press the fn key on the keyboard.
-Right side usb disconnects and reconnects when a usb device is plugged in from pressing the fn key. (phones, usb keyboards etc)
-Right side usb port also reconnects and disconnects occasional with a device plugged in. Frequent usb power surge errors when using right port and with no devices plugged in.

All driver updates and ms updates are current. I tested multiple usb cables and devices on another computer and have no problems so far.

Asus technicians has replaces the hdd, wifi card from intel to atheros, usb board, mainboard and bottom case. They are replacing parts but aren't fixing the problem.

hmscott
09-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Hi I been having trouble for weeks with my new asus g5560jk ds71 and have rma it twice and asus still cannot fix the problem I'm having. I'm so sick of the asus rma department. I thought I post here and see what other have or are experiencing the laptop. I will never buy Asus products again. Its disappointing because I usually have good experiences with asus products.

My issues so far

-Bluetooth disconnects and reconnects if I press the fn key on the keyboard.
-Right side usb disconnects and reconnects when a usb device is plugged in from pressing the fn key. (phone, usb keyboard etc)
-Right side usb port also reconnects and disconnects occasional with a device plugged in. Frequent usb power surge errors with when using right port and no devices plugged in any ports.

All driver updates and ms updates are current. I tested multiple usb cables and devices on another computer and have no problems so far.

Asus technicians has replaces the hdd, wifi card from intel to atheros, usb board, mainboard and bottom case. They are replacing parts but aren't fixing the problem.

kahale, why didn't you return it instead of RMA? Can you swap it for a new one with the seller/vendor? At this point I think you can ask Asus to replace with a new laptop.

It sounds like a grounding / shorting issue with the keyboard/frame/something underneath that is happening when you apply pressure to that key.

What helps is to give Asus a step by step instruction on how to reproduce the failure - so they won't return it until those steps don't produce the failure :)

But, again, at this point debugging it is their problem, not yours, your expectation was to get a fully functioning laptop, not a puzzle to solve, so tell them to give you a brand new laptop.

Do you have point of contact at Asus that you can call and ask for? If not, call in and ask for a supervisor and escalate till you get a new laptop. Be nice, but firm, friendly, and consistent in your unwavering decision to get a working laptop now.

Let us know how it works out :)

pokerface
09-05-2014, 10:28 PM
This sounds like the classic old USB 3.0 issue with the first gen haswell motherboards (Stepping 1)

Can you check this thread : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51276-Check-your-Motherboard-stepping-please-(USB-Bug)&country=&status=

then run CPU-Z and tell us which stepping you have?

hmscott
09-05-2014, 10:52 PM
This sounds like the classic old USB 3.0 issue with the first gen haswell motherboards (Stepping 1)

Can you check this thread : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51276-Check-your-Motherboard-stepping-please-(USB-Bug)&country=&status=

pokerface, that bug isn't something most people will run into.

It is a rare occurrence and I have run 3 G750's with multiple USB devices constantly for over a year, and have not had a single disconnect to any of those devices.

The problem was discovered early on, and it was hard to reproduce, and Intel and it's clients didn't even push for C2 stepping in mid 2013 - and haven't actually pushed it out till almost a year later, so they didn't think it was a big problem either, because it isn't :)

Have you been able to reproduce the issue? If you don't put the laptop in standby mode, you won't ever see it. And if you do see it, on the 2nd access of a file it will work - there is no "live" disconnection issue - if the laptop is running it will never disconnect out of the blue.

http://us.hardware.info/news/35295/haswell-has-usb-30-issues-with-14-out-of-22-tested-usb-drives

kahale has a real problem with a faulty laptop, not a rare errata in his chipset.

kahale
09-05-2014, 10:59 PM
kahale, why didn't you return it instead of RMA? Can you swap it for a new one with the seller/vendor? At this point I think you can ask Asus to replace with a new laptop.

It sounds like a grounding / shorting issue with the keyboard/frame/something underneath that is happening when you apply pressure to that key.

What helps is to give Asus a step by step instruction on how to reproduce the failure - so they won't return it until those steps don't produce the failure :)

But, again, at this point debugging it is their problem, not yours, your expectation was to get a fully functioning laptop, not a puzzle to solve, so tell them to give you a brand new laptop.

Do you have point of contact at Asus that you can call and ask for? If not, call in and ask for a supervisor and escalate till you get a new laptop. Be nice, but firm, friendly, and consistent in your unwavering decision to get a working laptop now.

Can't swap it because I bought it from Tiger Direct. They have a 15 day exchange policy with prior manufacturers approval. It was a mistake to buy it from them as I usually buy from newegg. I got lured with the price which was about $200 less then newegg at the time. I actually have detailed my problems and have provided multiple steps on how to reproduce the issues I am having on the rma checklist and to tech support agent who answered the phone. I am beginning to think its a short within the keyboard. I will try talking to a supervisor and see if I could get a new laptop.

Model G5560JK 1.0
Chipset Intel Haswell Rev. 06
Southbridge Intel ID8C49 Rev. 05

hmscott
09-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Can't swap it because I bought it from Tiger Direct. They have a 15 day exchange policy with prior manufacturers approval. It was a mistake to buy it from them as I usually buy from newegg. I got lured with the price which was about $200 less then newegg at the time. I actually have detailed my problems and have provided multiple steps on how to reproduce the issues I am having on the rma checklist and to tech support agent who answered the phone. I am beginning to think its a short within the keyboard. I will try talking to a supervisor and see if I could get a new laptop.
Model G5560JK 1.0
Chipset Intel Haswell Rev. 06
Southbridge Intel ID8C49 Rev. 05

kahale, that's what I think too, I am surprised they didn't replace the keyboard or the cabling under that section as part of the first fix - and surprised they didn't reproduce the issue before pulling it apart and then again when they thought they fixed it. But, maybe they did and it was flexed just right to keep it from happening - I have seen that - moving the laptop and retrying a few times to make sure it is fixed would have been nice.

But, at this point, you have turned it around enough that swapping for a new one is the quickest solution, I think Asus should understand that.

You have a Stepping C2 Southbridge, so you don't have the old C1 bug.

Good luck with Asus tomorrow :)

kahale
09-05-2014, 11:16 PM
kahale, that's what I think too, I am surprise they didn't replace the keyboard or the cabling under that section as part of the first fix - and surprised they didn't reproduce the issue before pulling it apart and then again when they thought they fixed it. But, maybe they did and it was flexed just right to keep it from happening - I have seen that - moving the laptop and retrying a few times to make sure it is fixed would have been nice.

But, at this point, you have turned it around enough that swapping for a new one is the quickest solution, I think Asus should understand that.

You have a Stepping C2 Southbridge, so you don't have the old C1 bug.

Good luck with Asus tomorrow :)

Thank you for your insight and to pokerface for trying to help.

cl-Albert
09-06-2014, 01:04 AM
kahale, sorry that system hasn't been working better for you.

fyi.
Looks like you may need to post 2 more times before you can send PMs (I can delete any extra posts if you want), but if you want to send me a PM with your RMA numbers, I can also look into it more on my end.

I tried searching our system with your name, but wasn't able to find the RMA records.

Thanks.

kahale
09-07-2014, 09:02 AM
kahale, sorry that system hasn't been working better for you.

fyi.
Looks like you may need to post 2 more times before you can send PMs (I can delete any extra posts if you want), but if you want to send me a PM with your RMA numbers, I can also look into it more on my end.

I tried searching our system with your name, but wasn't able to find the RMA records.

Thanks.

I decided to send it in again for the last time hopefully. Asus tech support said he will recommend a replacement but its up to the facility to make that decision. Also I can give you my rma # if thats what you want.

I posted 2 more times and still cannot pm?

cl-Albert
09-08-2014, 04:24 PM
I decided to send it in again for the last time hopefully. Asus tech support said he will recommend a replacement but its up to the facility to make that decision. Also I can give you my rma # if thats what you want.

If you are located in the U.S. and have not sent the unit back yet, you may want to check with Jolene at cl-jolene@asus.com as mentioned in the thread below to see if she can offer you better options.
I was hoping to look at your previous RMAs first before asking you to contact her, but she can take a look at them too.
It may not be too big of a deal, but it's a little safer for you if you don't post your RMA number on the forums, so was trying to avoid this.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34832-ASUS-Worldwide-RMA-Guide&country=&status=

I posted 2 more times and still cannot pm?

You may not want to worry about this more, but if you haven't found your 'inbox', check to see if you have an option for 'notifications' in the top-right of the screen next to your alias name and logout button. In your inbox you should normally see an option for 'Send New Message' on the left side if you've met all the requirements, but it's possible they have been changed.
Anyway, please let us know if there are still any problems to get this resolved.
Thanks.

kahale
09-09-2014, 12:00 AM
If you are located in the U.S. and have not sent the unit back yet, you may want to check with Jolene at cl-jolene@asus.com as mentioned in the thread below to see if she can offer you better options.
I was hoping to look at your previous RMAs first before asking you to contact her, but she can take a look at them too.
It may not be too big of a deal, but it's a little safer for you if you don't post your RMA number on the forums, so was trying to avoid this.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34832-ASUS-Worldwide-RMA-Guide&country=&status=

You may not want to worry about this more, but if you haven't found your 'inbox', check to see if you have an option for 'notifications' in the top-right of the screen next to your alias name and logout button. In your inbox you should normally see an option for 'Send New Message' on the left side if you've met all the requirements, but it's possible they have been changed.
Anyway, please let us know if there are still any problems to get this resolved.
Thanks.

dropped it off saturday. i'll give the facility one more chance to get this right before i escalate it further. also pm seems available now after posting 4 more times.

kahale
09-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Just a update: Asus said will swap my laptop out for a new one. Now I'm just waiting for them to email me a offer they said I need to accept. Lol ok. They got it on 9/10 and its been a week and a half. Wow I don't think I will ever buy another asus laptop or product again. This is ridiculous.

Update: got email today from asus with their offer. they want to replace it with a re-certified AS G750J 4700HQ/1DG5/12G/US, and may repair and send in my old laptop. This was not a new laptop as I was promised wtf???

hmscott
09-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Just a update: Asus said will swap my laptop out for a new one. Now I'm just waiting for them to email me a offer they said I need to accept. Lol ok. They got it on 9/10 and its been a week and a half. Wow I don't think I will ever buy another asus laptop or product again. This is ridiculous.

Update: got email today from asus with their offer. they want to replace it with a re-certified AS G750J 4700HQ/1DG5/12G/US, and may repair and send in my old laptop. This was not a new laptop as I was promised wtf???

kahale, G750J isn't a model - you need the 2nd letter to specify the model - very important.

These are G750 model numbers: JW/JX/JH JM/JS/JZ

Depending on the 2nd letter, you may or may not be getting a nice offer from Asus.

Did Asus say in writing they were giving you a New laptop? If so, quote that to them, and make sure they know you won't accept anything used/refurbished!

kahale
09-24-2014, 03:30 AM
kahale, G750J isn't a model - you need the 2nd letter to specify the model - very important.

These are G750 model numbers: JW/JX/JH JM/JS/JZ

Depending on the 2nd letter, you may or may not be getting a nice offer from Asus.

Did Asus say in writing they were giving you a New laptop? If so, quote that to them, and make sure they know you won't accept anything used/refurbished!

Replacement Model Specifications:
Model: 90NB04J1-M00040
Part #: AS G750J 4700HQ/1DG5/12G/US
Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ Processor
2.4 GHz
Cores/Threads: 4 / 8
6 MB Cache
1TB HDD, 5400 RPM
12GB Memory
17.3" Display (1920x1080)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (2GB GDDR5)
8X DVD Super Multi, Double Layer
WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0
Windows 8.1 64-Bit

As for it being in writing. I have a chat record with a asus rep stating that I would receive a new laptop numerous times. does new = re-certified to asus? I added this in my reply back to the email offer and a different asus rep replied that they don't offer new retail replacement units and they are only doing the replacement as courtesy. If I decline they will attempt to fix my old laptop and send that back. I can't see that happening since they couldn't do that three times before. Not sure what to do now. Do I escalate or take the offer?

hmscott
09-24-2014, 04:51 AM
Replacement Model Specifications:
Model: 90NB04J1-M00040
Part #: AS G750J 4700HQ/1DG5/12G/US
Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ Processor
2.4 GHz
Cores/Threads: 4 / 8
6 MB Cache
1TB HDD, 5400 RPM
12GB Memory
17.3" Display (1920x1080)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (2GB GDDR5)
8X DVD Super Multi, Double Layer
WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0
Windows 8.1 64-Bit
As for it being in writing. I have a chat record with a asus rep stating that I would receive a new laptop numerous times. does new = re-certified to asus? I added this in my reply back to the email offer and a different asus rep replied that they don't offer new retail replacement units and they are only doing the replacement as courtesy. If I decline they will attempt to fix my old laptop and send that back. I can't see that happening since they couldn't do that three times before. Not sure what to do now. Do I escalate or take the offer?

kahale, googling Model: 90NB04J1-M00040 I found it is a G750JM-DS71

ASUS ROG G750 Series G750JM-DS71 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz) 12GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 17.3" Windows 8.1 64-Bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231630&cm_re=G750JM-DS71-_-34-231-630-_-Product

ASUS ROG G550JK-DS71 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 8GB Memory 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 2GB GDDR3 15.6" Windows 8.1 64-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231808

Comparing between the two, they are similar, with the G750 being larger and likely cooler running, but much larger so take that into account.

The only other problem is that the JM model for many is crashing with a BSOD when using Nvidia drivers newer than 332.60 on Windows 8.1 - which is the OS it ships with. I have met a couple of people that say they haven't had an BSOD's but when I asked if they updated the Nvidia driver - they said "what?" :) There are a couple of people here in the forum that haven't had problems with newer Nvidia drivers - it is likely a use issue - some games might aggravate the problem - the crash happens some time after exiting a game - I don't know which ones.

Historically Nvidia/Asus fix these kind of video driver problems, my own expereince has seen several such situation fixed after 2 weeks to 8 months... Asus collected crash dumps a few weeks ago now, but the latest Nvidia release didn't fix the problem, so another 1 to 2 month delay at least before another driver from Nvidia given their normal release cycle.

You may just be trading 1 problem for another. An Asus Refurb from the RMA dept is likely a machine RMA'd to Asus and the problem wasn't fixed so they kept the unit... kinda like your JK.

But, it is a new chance at a working laptop, so it might be worth a try.

Did you ask Asus to give you another G550JK-DS71 ? You could hold out for that :)

kahale
09-24-2014, 05:18 AM
You may just be trading 1 problem for another. An Asus Refurb from the RMA dept is likely a machine RMA'd to Asus and the problem wasn't fixed so they kept the unit... kinda like your JK.

But, it is a new chance at a working laptop, so it might be worth a try.

Did you ask Asus to give you another G550JK-DS71 ? You could hold out for that :)

Well the reason they're offering the G750JM-DS71 is because they don't have any replacements for the G550JK-DS71. They have said the remaining warranty does transfer over. I think I might give it a try and see what happens.

hmscott
09-24-2014, 05:31 AM
Well the reason they're offering the G750JM-DS71 is because they don't have any replacements for the G550JK-DS71. They have said the remaining warranty does transfer over. I think I might give it a try and see what happens.

kahale, you might try telling Asus that you don't want a model with BSOD problems, but you would take a G750JS refurb instead. That 870m doesn't have BSOD issues with drivers newer than 332.60.

Seems a reasonable request, and you would get a G750 with less chance of problems.

Quote these threads in your response to Asus to back up the JM BSOD issue:

G750JM Daily BSODS, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48428-G750JM-Daily-BSODS-DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE&p=410668&viewfull=1#post410668

Help..new G750JM after geforce experience update to 2.1 >>>BSOD
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48151-Help..new-G750JM-after-geforce-experience-update-to-2.1-gt-gt-gt-BSOD&p=407887&viewfull=1#post407887

kahale
09-24-2014, 03:22 PM
kahale, you might try telling Asus that you don't want a model with BSOD problems, but you would take a G750JS refurb instead. That 870m doesn't have BSOD issues with drivers newer than 332.60.

Seems a reasonable request, and you would get a G750 with less chance of problems.

Quote these threads in your response to Asus to back up the JM BSOD issue:

G750JM Daily BSODS, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48428-G750JM-Daily-BSODS-DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE&p=410668&viewfull=1#post410668

Help..new G750JM after geforce experience update to 2.1 >>>BSOD
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48151-Help..new-G750JM-after-geforce-experience-update-to-2.1-gt-gt-gt-BSOD&p=407887&viewfull=1#post407887

I replied with your suggestion. Thanks, probably saved me from more headaches and possible future rma again. Hopefully, they agree and have G750JS models in stock.

Update: Today got a reply from a different person...only option is the G750JM model. I guess I have no choice but to go with that and hope I don't get BSOD??? After all this I think Asus just lost a long time customer. -_-