PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help Regarding Partitions

Kalehart
09-06-2014, 05:53 AM
Hey guys, just got my G750JZ today and I couldn't be happier.

The only issue that I've run in to is that my OS (C:) drive only has 100 gigs of space, and I'm not sure how to go about adjusting my drives to actually be useful.

I've already created a virtual drive that combines two others and has a capacity of 930 gigabytes, but I'm not sure how to transfer or redirect my program file folders, user folder, etc. to it in order to be able to download games from steam and what-not.

Thanks!

hmscott
09-06-2014, 06:08 AM
Hey guys, just got my G750JZ today and I couldn't be happier.
The only issue that I've run in to is that my OS (C:) drive only has 100 gigs of space, and I'm not sure how to go about adjusting my drives to actually be useful.
I've already created a virtual drive that combines two others and has a capacity of 930 gigabytes, but I'm not sure how to transfer or redirect my program file folders, user folder, etc. to it in order to be able to download games from steam and what-not.
Thanks!

Kalehart, Steam is easy, when you install a game, set the drive from C: to D: - leave the rest of the path intact - it goes in as D:\SteamLibrary and the game folders get put in D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common => Assuming D is the 1TB drive volume - mine is because I got rid of the RAID0 D partition and absorbed the space into the C volume.

You can also combine partitions on the RAID0 SSD, but first use Asus Backtracker to make a 16GB USB 3.0 flash recovery drive, to back up the recovery partition before you delete it.

There are a number of posts describing how to, this is the most recent.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one&p=433539&viewfull=1#post433539

Again, make sure your Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive backup worked - boot on it and do a test restore to a spare 2.5" drive - pull your RAID0 SSD's before doing the restore or their partitions will get deleted by the recovery program.

Let us know how it works out :)

Kalehart
09-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Awesome, that solves my storage issue for games, which was my main worry. I'm not quite sure how I'll need to manage my program files folders in order to have room for future installations. Presumably I will just need to redirect to them my "K:" drive (the virtual drive I set up).

Really appreciate the speedy feedback!

hmscott
09-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Awesome, that solves my storage issue for games, which was my main worry. I'm not quite sure how I'll need to manage my program files folders in order to have room for future installations. Presumably I will just need to redirect to them my "K:" drive (the virtual drive I set up).
Really appreciate the speedy feedback!

Kalehart, you can do the same for all / most Program installations, I put some of my apps there too, just replace the C: with D:, and you get:

D:\Program Files (x86)

The same for BattleNet, Downlods, iTunes, Origin Games, Ubisoft, Virtualbox (just the containers), but you get the idea :)

And, like you said, most of the space is SteamLibrary, and for me Virtualbox vm's.

Have fun :)