PDA

View Full Version : Loud fans.

ziefik
09-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Hi guys.

I have an inquiry about the fan noise, before submitting a ticket to support I thought it would be best to ask the folks that actually live with the laptop day to day. The model is G750JZ. What I'm on about here is mainly when the GPU is being overclocked and the fans spin at maximum RPM, any tap or bump to my desk will set off a buzzing noise coming from the fans. Another tap would make it go away.

Similar thing happens when I'm just browsing the web and the fans turn on and off every now and then. It is very noticeable and sounds like the fan is not securely placed. This is a voice file recorded with my phone: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Ra541BYobu
This happens on it's own accord, I don't have a recording of the buzzing noise at top RPM and I don't fancy triggering it off myself. If it's needed for a "diagnosis" I will record it and upload it later.

Thanks for any input!

hmscott
09-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Hi guys.

I have an inquiry about the fan noise, before submitting a ticket to support I thought it would be best to ask the folks that actually live with the laptop day to day. The model is G750JZ. What I'm on about here is mainly when the GPU is being overclocked and the fans spin at maximum RPM, any tap or bump to my desk will set off a buzzing noise coming from the fans. Another tap would make it go away.

Similar thing happens when I'm just browsing the web and the fans turn on and off every now and then. It is very noticeable and sounds like the fan is not securely placed. This is a voice file recorded with my phone: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Ra541BYobu
This happens on it's own accord, I don't have a recording of the buzzing noise at top RPM and I don't fancy triggering it off myself. If it's needed for a "diagnosis" I will record it and upload it later.

Thanks for any input!

ziefik, I hear it, but it is hard to hear at that low speed and volume, it might be enough for Asus to RMA, but if you can get a louder / clearer sound it would help.

I had to listen several times, and the first time I thought sounded more like HDD head movement - but you say it gets louder with higher GPU usage with higher fan speed, so after thinking of that clearly I listened several more times and I could tell the scraping sound the blade(s) are making against plastic - lets hope Asus takes the time to listen carefully.

File a Technical Inquiry with Asus and describe the problem as you did above, and zip up the sound file and attach it to the Technical Inquiry.

You can create a login here, register your laptop, and file the Technical Inquiry

https://vip.asus.com

It sounds like the fan isn't attached well in the shroud, or it is off set and the fan is hitting the shroud, and the fan spindle might be loose as well. If bumping it makes it worse it needs to get fixed before it munches itself.

You shouldn't have to stop gaming or using your JZ at full speed, so let Asus fix it and enjoy it fully. Can you return it to the seller/vendor? If you are still in the return period it is quicker to swap for a new one than send yours in for RMA to Asus.

Let us know how it works out :)

ziefik
09-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm glad it's not just me being paranoid and freaking out. I am still within the 7 day return policy, so I've sent an email to the seller I got it from. Unfortunately their customer services are closed over the weekend. I've sent in a technical enquiry as well, just to get their feedback on the matter. The laptop itself is amazing, only thing that lets it down a bit is the fans. Hopefully it will get sorted :)