PDA

View Full Version : my g74 goes to sleep during gameplay

griff71
10-23-2011, 12:28 AM
just got a g74 yesterday, had a couple of minor issues that i sorted but today i was playing total war empire and evrytime i was in a battle the screen went black and i had to push the power button and use my password to restart.
not sure if this is a major issue or an easy fix. any advice would be appreciated.

JRd1st
10-23-2011, 12:35 AM
You sure it's going to sleep and not crashing?

griff71
10-23-2011, 12:43 AM
well, whatever its doing its not good, the screen goes black. i have to press the power button, sign in and click on the gme in the toolbar at the bottom and then i can continue. pain in the arse though. i bought this laptop as a replacement for an antique but my antique doesn't do this.

JRd1st
10-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Press the ROG button and set your power profile to Performance. Or use Power4Gear to set the profile.

You might want to check your event logs to see what's telling Windows to sleep

griff71
10-23-2011, 12:56 AM
i did set it to high performance yesterday, thought it would stay that way but it looked like it maybe wasn't. i'll see how i get on.
cheers

JRd1st
10-23-2011, 01:02 AM
I don't see why it's sleeping while you're using it anyway, unless you're on battery and very it's low, and it's going into hibernation.

griff71
10-23-2011, 05:44 AM
no i'm not o battery, i'm plugged in, it was ok for a few hours but happened again just now. screen goes black, then i have to psh power button to turn off and back on then put in my password and away to go. doing my head in now......................

Yahooligan
10-23-2011, 06:25 AM
no i'm not o battery, i'm plugged in, it was ok for a few hours but happened again just now. screen goes black, then i have to psh power button to turn off and back on then put in my password and away to go. doing my head in now......................

By any chance do you have the function keys reversed so that they do their alternate function by default? For example, instead of F1 being "F1" it's actually "Sleep."

griff71
10-23-2011, 10:06 AM
i don't think so mate, not really sure about that, how do i check that one out? i don't think it can be that though as i'm not using any keys in the game, only the mouse really. just certain times it goes black screen, i can see the little white arrow and it still moves around but no other funtions work. i have to hit the power button to shut it off and then reboot, when i reboot everything is as i left it so its like its going into sleep mode rather than crashing....( i think) you'll have to excuse my computer skills as i'm not all that flash with terminology etc.

JRd1st
10-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I was just looking in the manual and Fn+Spacebar "toggles between various power saving modes" That seems the most likely scenario.

Sounds like you're definitely going into hibernation. Sleep wakes up fast, hibernation seems like rebooting except when you get into Windows your programs are still running.

griff71
10-24-2011, 06:31 AM
yeah the only problem i have with that scenario is that i dont press any buttons whatsoever, unless the built in mouse thingy is affecting the keypad somehow??????????? bit of a bummer really as i think the g74 is awesome but too any little niggles for my liking.

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 10:57 AM
bit of a bummer really as i think the g74 is awesome but too any little niggles for my liking.

Yeah, that what happens when you go from design to shipping without testing someplace in the mix. There's no way in hell they did adequate QA on these units because they didn't even have problem free drivers.

If you're using the touchpad then all bets are off; that thing is the biggest "niggle" on the G74. Try using a mouse....

griff71
10-25-2011, 08:51 AM
yeah, i'm thinking thats what may be causing it as its also done a few random things while using the touchpad. i did have a mouse for my old lappy but it died so will get a new one on friday and see if that helps. bit of a cheek of asus to sell dud touchpads and keyboards on such an expensive laptop i reckon.