PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G74SX overheat issue?? please help!

Wtfismyname
10-23-2011, 07:19 AM
well i just got this laptop a while ago and the temp never came to me as a issue. that was until i played a graphics intensive game (oblivion). the game started to stutter and act weird. that was when i noticed the level of heat coming out the back. i then played bad company 2 with a temp monitor and the heat level shot up to 75 degrees Celsius. I also seem to be having many graphics card crashes "Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version has stopped working and has successfully recovered'

is this all normal for this laptop? i totally new to this, and i don't want to see my 1500 dollar laptop melt before my eyes and i run my graphic design business off this thing. I have nothing on the vents and i am playing on a flat surface

any help would be nice, everyone on here seems to be very knowledgeable

BrodyBoy
10-23-2011, 08:22 AM
I don't think you need to worry about a meltdown. ;) 75 degrees is within the normal range, so I don't think the behavior is due to overheating. Rather, it sounds like a graphics driver issue. So the first step is to download the most recent Nvidia driver (http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/280.26/280.26-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe) and install it.

JRd1st
10-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes, first update your nvidia driver then run Furmark (http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/)

Wtfismyname
10-23-2011, 08:09 PM
yes thank you guys. maybe a slight over reaction huh? I have heard horrible things about overclocking so 7-80 degrees celcius kinda freaked me out.
also i have already updated my graphics. should i just delete them and start over?

JRd1st
10-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Delete them? What?

Lorca
10-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Delete them? What?

I think he meant whatever setting or whatnot he got from overclocking.

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 12:39 AM
People should learn about the basics before they start overclocking. :rolleyes:

Wtfismyname
10-24-2011, 01:04 AM
well i've done some research and most are recommending that i delete the NVIDIA driver and reinstall the new one to avoid any more problems. I seem to have a slight stuttering problem on most of my games. but mainly just oblivion, but that game seems to have a well known stuttering problem, so i left it be.
anyways. whats wrong, should i do a re-install of the drivers, or maybe i got the one bad card?

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Did you update your WiFi driver, yet! I know this sounds off the wall, but the driver that the G74's ship with has a latency problem that causes all kinds of problems. You may want to go here - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

You shouldn't crash at 75C. What driver do you have installed?

Wtfismyname
10-24-2011, 01:29 AM
HA oh man i never even thought of that! thanks i will give it a try and let you know how it goes

and i didn't crash at 75...just not yet. i'm sure it was just oblivion. at that temp the game would start acting like it was struggling with heat. which is weird because i know the g74sx has a very good cooling system.
i have the very latest driver install available, its 280.26
its been acting very weird lately, so i just hope its not a defect.
any suggestions?

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 01:37 AM
That's not the latest, only the latest on Asus where everything is old. Lol

Go to this post and find 285.38 - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

Wtfismyname
10-24-2011, 01:50 AM
thats weird lol
thats what nvidia gave me for my system
sweet i'll go check it out thanks

Wtfismyname
10-24-2011, 01:54 AM
that wifi update also made my internet MUCH faster!
thanks a bunch!

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 02:05 AM
280.26 is the latest "official" driver, but 285.38 is a beta driver that was released for bf3 and everyone is using it.

I don't know what's causing your stuttering but it's probably software related. There are lots of things that can cause stuttering in games.

Did you uninstall any of the Asus bloatware yet? Definitely uninstall that Asus online storage thing, and Asus update is pretty useless, too.
Also, your antivirus may be hogging resources.

Lorca
10-24-2011, 02:15 AM
HA oh man i never even thought of that! thanks i will give it a try and let you know how it goes

and i didn't crash at 75...just not yet. i'm sure it was just oblivion. at that temp the game would start acting like it was struggling with heat. which is weird because i know the g74sx has a very good cooling system.
i have the very latest driver install available, its 280.26
its been acting very weird lately, so i just hope its not a defect.
any suggestions?

Hey buddy, I'm playing Oblivion too. First of all, I've mods: OOO, Better Cities(full), UL(complete), All Natural, and a few other little mods. Also, I've OBGE shaders(Godrays, Volumetric SSAO, Liquid Water) I've yet to add texture packs. I'm running Oblivion at 1280x720 with graphic settings maxed out except AA and vsycn off. Anyways, I'm getting a steady avg. gpu temp. of 50c. I can use higher resolution without any significant fps drop but 1280x720 is fine for now. I've always believed that is unwise to put more stress when you don't have to.

As for old Nvidia drivers, what I do is use Nvidia uninstaller; reboot in safe mode and eliminate any leftover Nvidia drivers using Driver Sweeper. Reboot again, and install the new Nvidia drivers. I currently have driver 280.26.

Oh, btw, Oblivion is the worst optimized game in all of The Elder Scrolls series so if you get a little stuttering don't worry, is not your gpu.

Wtfismyname
10-24-2011, 04:16 AM
yeah its just very disappointing because i had a great experience with my PS3 version, so i decided to get a PC copy. the shuttering is very annoying. hopefully Skyrim will be fully optimized for PC (it better be i preordered limited edition :P)
and i just got the new beta and its seems to be working a bit better. hopefully no more crashing :)
and i will get rid of the ASUS crap as well and i should be good from now on
thank you both you have been very helpful

Lorca
10-24-2011, 06:51 AM
yeah its just very disappointing because i had a great experience with my PS3 version, so i decided to get a PC copy. the shuttering is very annoying. hopefully Skyrim will be fully optimized for PC (it better be i preordered limited edition :P)
and i just got the new beta and its seems to be working a bit better. hopefully no more crashing :)
and i will get rid of the ASUS crap as well and i should be good from now on
thank you both you have been very helpful

Have you tried the crash prevention and stutter remover plugin for Oblivion? These plugins don't really eliminate the crashing/stuttering but it does a great job in minimizing the issues.

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 10:10 PM
You could try the new nvidia driver, too. 285.62 (look in my sig for a link)

Wtfismyname
10-25-2011, 04:08 AM
i have the driver you suggested and i seem to have no more stutter (at least not in my other games. oblivion still kinda sucks)
also my core temp has dropped to about 52 degrees Celsius instead of 75 under load. MUCH better performance
all is good now, again thanks

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Awesome!

One more thing, defragment your drives.

Wtfismyname
10-26-2011, 08:11 PM
well actually i just got it again today :/
wtf. i have no idea why it would do that

JRd1st
10-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I think it's the game itself. That game has so many bugs there's a wiki for them http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Glitches

Wtfismyname
10-26-2011, 09:16 PM
well i mean my display driver crashed and recovered :P
naw i ditched oblivion and got mass effect 2
yeah i really don't get why it would do that

JRd1st
10-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Well, it could be that there's something actually wrong with that GPU. Intermittent problems are a biatch, and you just KNOW, that if you send it to Asus, they won't find any problem. Is there any way you can get your reseller to do something for you? Like an exchange or something?

BrodyBoy
10-26-2011, 09:41 PM
+1 Exchange it and get a fresh start, if you can.

Wtfismyname
10-27-2011, 08:29 AM
oh god...i got it from londondrugs. i would prefer *not* to have to exchange it seeing as it took almost 6 weeks to get to my small town...plus i kinda need it for work XD
is the display driver crashing a sign of future computer failure/destruction or is it something thats more of a nuisance and can be ignored..... because it doesn't happen often i can tell you that

god this sucks

but then again, if anything does go wrong i have 2 years to figure that out XD

Wtfismyname
10-27-2011, 08:35 AM
also one more thing..it only seems to crash when i use my internet (firefox 4). i don't know if that would be part of it, it never crashes when i play games or use my graphic designing programs (knock on wood). so hopefully one of you guys could figure out whats going on here...i just don't wanna part with ma baby :P

JRd1st
10-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Try this - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

6 weeks!? Do the "Ice Road Truckers" deliver it?

xeromist
10-27-2011, 06:17 PM
You could also disable hardware acceleration in the browser and see if that makes a difference. It's under Advanced>General in Firefox options.

dstrakele
10-27-2011, 07:02 PM
If it only crashes when you use Firefox, it'd be worthwhile to see if using another browser like Chrome or IE9 changes the behavior. Perhaps you're missing an important Firefox update?

Wtfismyname
10-28-2011, 08:03 PM
well i'm not using the latest firefox version (4), because the new ones don't support google quick search bar :/
but i'll try disabling Hardware accel. for now :)

dstrakele
10-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I heard they removed the Google Quick Search Bar from Firefox because it was causing system instabilities (jest kiddin'). But seriously, if disabling hardware acceleration doesn't resolve your issue, try another Browser - just for troubleshooting's sake!

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey, I read over on Guru3D that this is a problem with the Series 285 drivers. Go over there and find the thread for the 285.62

Wtfismyname
10-29-2011, 03:10 AM
yeah it was doing this before i had the new drivers :P
i just wanna know if its something i can ignore or.... if i must exchange my laptop for another one, because it might wreak my computer (??)

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 03:24 AM
If you can still exchange it, then do it. Crashing is not something you can ignore. Maybe if it was once, but not if it happens regularly.

Besides, you spent a lot of money and you shouldn't be having a terrible user experience for that money!

Wtfismyname
10-31-2011, 04:28 AM
yes i totally agree, it just happens *maybe* once a week (if that). i just can't afford to send it back now because that would mean no money for me as it would probably take quite a while to get it exchanged :(
i don't really mind it, it goes black then 1 second later , back on. just i wanna know if this destroys your computer in any form??

grungeboy2
10-31-2011, 05:26 AM
if it makes you feel any better my GTX260m peaks out at 101C.

xeromist
11-01-2011, 07:58 PM
yes i totally agree, it just happens *maybe* once a week (if that). i just can't afford to send it back now because that would mean no money for me as it would probably take quite a while to get it exchanged :(
i don't really mind it, it goes black then 1 second later , back on. just i wanna know if this destroys your computer in any form??

Modern components are designed to simply shut off before heat or power can damage them so I don't think whatever this is should be causing any lasting damage.

Wtfismyname
11-03-2011, 06:16 PM
ah thanks thats what i wanted to hear :)
i also found that when i leave the computer on 'performance mode' permanently instead of switching over to entertainment mode and back again, it hasn't crashed since
weird

xeromist
11-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Ha! Could be a voltage underrun when in entertainment mode...which frankly is more dangerous than overheating. :D Glad you found a solution anyway.

Wtfismyname
11-04-2011, 04:26 AM
yeah that was it , i did some research, the computer doesn't like going from low to very high performance after being in low for so long, i.e. causing it to overheat and/or crash. i would say this case is solved, thanks to everyone here who helped me!

lekerol
11-04-2011, 07:07 AM
i'm also having issues whit overheat, my asus g74sx 3D is only 2 months old , it started to happen yesterday.

Might it be dust on fans? im gonna use vacuum cleaner later today and see any changes.

Bios 203 and latest drivers, i usually dont have this issues, but when im playing WOW and watching movies sametime on VLC , then the fan seems to go faster for like 1min then it just shut downs.

JRd1st
11-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Might be dust depending on where you live. But try this, install hwinfo64 (see NewDrivers link in my sig) and set up the program to log your sensors. After a crash, look at your temps.