PDA

View Full Version : Serious Purchase Advice G750JM vs G750JS ( Urgent )

xDivine
09-10-2014, 02:20 AM
Okay guys so i`m having a serious struggle deciding what to buy.
G750JM - Original price - 1,340$ ( Adding 8 GB ram and 250 SSD Samsung Evo 840 = +200$ ) = 1,540$
G750JS - Original price - 1,729$ ( Maybe switching the SanDisk crap with an Samsung Evo but not sure) = 1,729$

Main application that would be run on the machine : Dota2 / Photoshop / Adobe After Effects / Lightroom and such.

Issues that i`ve heard about and i would like to hear opinions on :
-Temperature difference -> The JM runs 10 degrees cooler than the JS on the same application. Is this true ?How is this gonna affect the GPU and the lifespan of the machine?
Note: I expect it to work with no hardware problems what-so-ever for at least 5 years straight , considering i will always use it with a cooler fan and no high requirements applications/games
-Headset plugins are very faulty ( easily breakable ) .. not all headsets work with it = Can you tell me more about it?
-BSOD error ? Is this fixed yet? Seems like this is fixed for the JM
-I`ve heard of people that are having problems with cooling system ( the fans throttles too much even tho they don`t run anything or the fan noise is way too noisy)

I would like an update on those if its possibile.

And the final question , is the upgrade really worth it?

I can`t figure it out to be honest. Whats the difference between the two gpu`s ? Will the 3 GB 870M heat the machine way more than the 2GB 860M ?

Also again , which one should have the longer lifespan?

CĂ©dric
09-10-2014, 03:14 AM
Hi

I dont know about G750JS but i can tell u DO NOT BUY G750JM.

Seriously... so many people bought this one (including me) and get that damn BSOD. Thanks to asus's forum users cuz now we know at least that an older nvdia driver "fixed" the issue. For now we cant upgrade our driver to the latest.
So i really really really suggest u to not bying G750JM.

xDivine
09-10-2014, 03:59 AM
Hi

I dont know about G750JS but i can tell u DO NOT BUY G750JM.

Seriously... so many people bought this one (including me) and get that damn BSOD. Thanks to asus's forum users cuz now we know at least that an older nvdia driver "fixed" the issue. For now we cant upgrade our driver to the latest.
So i really really really suggest u to not bying G750JM.

Why? Could you tell me what happened ? Is the BSOD the only thing that bothers you?

CĂ©dric
09-10-2014, 04:25 AM
U can't imagine how frustating it is to laucn a game with no idea if u gonna get BSOD, u can trust me on this.
There's another little thing about the G750JM: USB 3.0 ports.
Copy's speed is really slow, about 20mb/sec and on my last MSI GP60 i used to have 100mb/sec.
So in conclusion i would'nt buy the G750JM if i were u but choice is yours.

xDivine
09-10-2014, 04:45 AM
I would still like to know more opinions about it and maybe someone can answer my temp/audioplugin/cooling system.
Is the JS having the same BSOD issue?

CĂ©dric
09-10-2014, 05:09 AM
http://superuser.com/questions/767772/bsod-asus-g750jm-win8-1

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48151-Help..new-G750JM-after-geforce-experience-update-to-2.1-gt-gt-gt-BSOD

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/47857-bsod-driver-state-power-failure-randomly-new-asus-g750jm.html

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48428-G750JM-Daily-BSODS-DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE&country=&status=

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48151-Help..new-G750JM-after-geforce-experience-update-to-2.1-gt-gt-gt-BSOD&country=&status=

some exemples of JM's users with same probs

I've heard from a member of this forum that JS have not the BSOD issue.

Bilack
09-10-2014, 05:42 AM
I own the JS and so far havent had any BSOD. I am using the latest nvidia driver (from the nvidia site) and BIOS 208. I am on windows 8.1 x64. Apart from the sound crackling, i have had no problems of any sort so far. The JM is supposed to run cooler because the GTX860M that is equiped with, it is on maxwell architecture (runs cooler, less power consumption), whereas the JS's GTX870M is on kepler architecture. My highest temps on JS was 86 C on crysis 3 running all settings to very high, including MLAA.
But before buying one of them, read more. Some people complaint about thin vertical lines.

Caastiel
09-10-2014, 10:08 AM
The BSOD problem only pertains to the JM. Also, as a JM user updating to the latest drivers seems to have fixed the BSODs for me since one or two driver versions ago.

AloneQuotient
09-10-2014, 02:00 PM
JS all the way brother. No issues so far. Upgraded memory to 32 gigs with ramdisk setup and replaced stock ssd with a 1tb evo. For a 5 year span i'd recommend JS over the JM anyday.

xDivine
09-11-2014, 02:10 AM
The BSOD problem only pertains to the JM. Also, as a JM user updating to the latest drivers seems to have fixed the BSODs for me since one or two driver versions ago.
Could you tell me more about how the JM performs?

Also , I would like to hear more opinions on this.. I still don`t know what to do. Considering i don`t really use any high-end games/apps.

Caastiel
09-11-2014, 04:34 AM
Could you tell me more about how the JM performs?

Also , I would like to hear more opinions on this.. I still don`t know what to do. Considering i don`t really use any high-end games/apps.
The JM performs as well as you'd expect from this gaming series. Able to maintain above 100 fps in Dota 2 on max settings and only dips slightly in heavy teamfights. I overclocked my JM's cpu for even lower temperatures and better performance just because I could, and the temperatures when under load are indeed impressive. So that's something to take into consideration. Only problems I had were the BSODs that have apparently been fixed for me as said in my previous post.
If you don't intend to be using for high-end games or apps then I'd say the JM is more than good enough(even though it is well capable of high-end games/apps) as the JS would seem like overkill in terms of performance and price.

xDivine
09-11-2014, 05:06 AM
The JM performs as well as you'd expect from this gaming series. Able to maintain above 100 fps in Dota 2 on max settings and only dips slightly in heavy teamfights. I overclocked my JM's cpu for even lower temperatures and better performance just because I could, and the temperatures when under load are indeed impressive. So that's something to take into consideration. Only problems I had were the BSODs that have apparently been fixed for me as said in my previous post.
If you don't intend to be using for high-end games or apps then I'd say the JM is more than good enough(even though it is well capable of high-end games/apps) as the JS would seem like overkill in terms of performance and price.

Did you upgrade it with any SSD or More Ram? Is the 2.5 inch 840 Evo Samsung fit-able ?

Jaitsu
09-11-2014, 07:52 AM
As far as how the JM performs, I will say it's given me rock-solid performance thus far and has handled just about everything I've thrown at it perfectly smoothly. I just played through Crysis 3 on it a few days ago on... High (not Very High; that slowed down juuust enough to be noticeable) settings, and it was smooth through the whole game. Same for Bioshock Infinite, another big graphics-intensive game. Even emulators like Dolphin and PCSX2, which are heavy on the CPU, run fine.

That said... I'd probably still opt for the JS. The JM still has its BSOD issue if you aren't using the 332.60 driver or older. I wouldn't consider this an issue if I hadn't used newer drivers like 340.52 and seen the big performance boost, then had to switch back because of BSODs. I find it odd that others are saying the BSODs are fixed; for me, the 340.52 driver still BSOD'd after about a week. Not nearly as often as everything between 332.60 and that, but still often enough to be frustrating when I lose everything I was doing out of the blue. Hopefully ASUS and Nvidia can do something about this, because as it stands it's rather unacceptable.

Caastiel
09-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Did you upgrade it with any SSD or More Ram? Is the 2.5 inch 840 Evo Samsung fit-able ?
Nope no upgrades. I've been meaning to get more RAM but haven't been able to find one with the same part number as the RAM currently inside. Probably will replace with a new set of RAM instead.

xDivine
09-11-2014, 06:54 PM
So if i get the JM its gonna be hard to add rams / an SSD ? Will it fit?
Right now i`m 60% towards getting the JM but i`m not so sure. I mean is the 400$ difference worth it?

Caastiel
09-12-2014, 04:06 AM
So if i get the JM its gonna be hard to add rams / an SSD ? Will it fit?
Right now i`m 60% towards getting the JM but i`m not so sure. I mean is the 400$ difference worth it?
There are four slots for ram in all models, and only two are easily accessible. It was hard for me because I wanted to find the exact same RAM as the one currently inside, adding RAMS are easy otherwise. I suggest checking inside to see whether the SSD will fit first.

NovaHova
09-12-2014, 11:08 AM
I have the JM and if you update all drivers/windows updates you wont ever BSOD, i have no issues at all with this laptop.
EXCEPT i do have BSOD when i have opened geforce experience for some reason, sometimes this has happened.. But if you have opened that app, just reboot and it wont ever BSOD untill you open it again. So for me this isnt a complaint at all really, samsung evo 840 works great on this thing. Flying laptop.

xDivine
09-13-2014, 05:53 AM
Is there a windows 8.1 clean install CD that comes with the laptop?
I`m thinking in case i`m going to buy the SSD and try to migrate the OS from the HDD to the SSD.Maybe i`ma screw it up somehow.
I`m still leaning like 70% into buying the JM because of the following
Pros:
-low temp
-the 860m should take pretty much everything i`ma throw at it
-the price
Cons:
-only 5200 RPM HDD vs the JS`s 7200 (is this even a huge difference?)
-Not having a SSD (the SanDisk 256 gb price ranges for up to 140$ same as the SamsungEVO )
-2.4 CPU vs the 3.4 CPU the JS has. Again is the difference that huge?

Regarding the SSDs..which one would fit the laptop?
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-Notebook-MZ-7TE500LW/dp/B00E3W1A64/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+evo+500+gb+ssd+laptop
or
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7TE500BW/dp/B00E3W19MO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-2&keywords=samsung+evo+500+gb+ssd+laptop

xDivine
09-14-2014, 03:39 AM
Bump?

Could anyone send hmscott a pm ,regarding this thread, i wanna talk with him via fb/skype or anything. I can`t seem to be able to send pm`s.

Xternal
10-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Okay guys so i`m having a serious struggle deciding what to buy.
G750JM - Original price - 1,340$ ( Adding 8 GB ram and 250 SSD Samsung Evo 840 = +200$ ) = 1,540$
G750JS - Original price - 1,729$ ( Maybe switching the SanDisk crap with an Samsung Evo but not sure) = 1,729$

Main application that would be run on the machine : Dota2 / Photoshop / Adobe After Effects / Lightroom and such.

Issues that i`ve heard about and i would like to hear opinions on :
-Temperature difference -> The JM runs 10 degrees cooler than the JS on the same application. Is this true ?How is this gonna affect the GPU and the lifespan of the machine?
Note: I expect it to work with no hardware problems what-so-ever for at least 5 years straight , considering i will always use it with a cooler fan and no high requirements applications/games
-Headset plugins are very faulty ( easily breakable ) .. not all headsets work with it = Can you tell me more about it?
-BSOD error ? Is this fixed yet? Seems like this is fixed for the JM
-I`ve heard of people that are having problems with cooling system ( the fans throttles too much even tho they don`t run anything or the fan noise is way too noisy)

I would like an update on those if its possibile.

And the final question , is the upgrade really worth it?

I can`t figure it out to be honest. Whats the difference between the two gpu`s ? Will the 3 GB 870M heat the machine way more than the 2GB 860M ?

Also again , which one should have the longer lifespan?

xDivine, did you buy your laptop? I have kind of the same problem...
Some say the architecture of NVIDIA 870m should be avoided (in contrast to 860m)... is that because the power demand?

I'd too pick the cheaper G750JM as I consider it good enough for me. But I'm scared about getting BSODs (even more, I'll have to install Win8 myself which apparently heightens the risk). It seems I'll have to sleep on it really good.

Jaitsu
10-14-2014, 03:57 PM
To anyone in fear of the BSODs, it appears they've been fixed with 344.11, or some Windows updates, one or the other - either way, several others and myself are no longer having the issue, I'm personally rescinding my advisory to stay away from it.

That said, I really don't know if it's only Windows 8(.1) that has the problem fixed... but then, I heard 7 never had it in the first place at some point. So I'm not sure what to believe, but the fact certainly stands that right now, I'm BSOD free on 344.11, with great performance on mine thanks to the update

Edit: HAHAHA NOPE STILL NOT FIXED

hmscott
10-14-2014, 06:23 PM
xDivine, did you buy your laptop? I have kind of the same problem...
Some say the architecture of NVIDIA 870m should be avoided (in contrast to 860m)... is that because the power demand?

I'd too pick the cheaper G750JM as I consider it good enough for me. But I'm scared about getting BSODs (even more, I'll have to install Win8 myself which apparently heightens the risk). It seems I'll have to sleep on it really good.

Xternal, if you have a return period for the JM, that makes it an easier choice. It is worth a try to do the Microsoft install from scratch - there isn't enough data to know for sure yet. If you can install Windows 8.1 + Windows updates + the latest Windows 8.1 drivers + Nvidia 344.11 and have enough time to test - probably a week or so to know for sure - then it is at least worth a try.

Please come back and let us know how it goes :)

Xternal
10-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Jaitsu, did you install Win8 yourself, or are you using the ASUS install?

hmscott, I would have 10 days to return the product without any reason. I have no idea what would happen with the OEM Win8 licence (that I would buy) if I do so.

Jaitsu
10-16-2014, 04:18 AM
Copied from the 344.11 thread:

...Sigh.

So, maybe I was wrong and it's just been a fluke that I've gone this long without a BSOD. Just quit Warframe, aaand

http://i.imgur.com/XH8vWkPs.jpg (http://imgur.com/XH8vWkP)

Hello, Blue Screen, my old friend... DRIVER_POWER_STATE's failed again...

So! I un-rescind my warning against the JM, it's still buggy and ASUS and Nvidia are still ignoring me completely.

Xternal
10-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Well, right now this buries the G750JM as an option for me :(
Ironically it is not the BSOD itself that troubles me as it could be solved in the future. What troubles me is that the G750 is not too young but not too old either. I expect it to be at the peak of its performance NOW (driver-wise). But drivers are sadly staying in the way. In one year from now when the new ROGs will flood the market there's little hope ASUS will give proper care to G750JM drivers if it's not happening now. The G750JM could become too old too soon. That means money for me.
I got JS as next option or... give up ASUS entirely as an option and evaluate MSI or Alienware.
:( :(

hmscott
10-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Well, right now this buries the G750JM as an option for me :(
Ironically it is not the BSOD itself that troubles me as it could be solved in the future. What troubles me is that the G750 is not too young but not too old either. I expect it to be at the peak of its performance NOW (driver-wise). But drivers are sadly staying in the way. In one year from now when the new ROGs will flood the market there's little hope ASUS will give proper care to G750JM drivers if it's not happening now. The G750JM could become too old too soon. That means money for me.
I got JS as next option or... give up ASUS entirely as an option and evaluate MSI or Alienware.
:( :(

Xternal, what about a G751?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?198-G771-G751-G551-and-GX550-Gaming-Notebooks

Xternal
10-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Xternal, what about a G751?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?198-G771-G751-G551-and-GX550-Gaming-Notebooks

hmscott, right now the G751 is too expensive. Today the price is a big selling point for the G750 series and with its cooling technology ASUS has no rival in this price range. From the hardware and price point of view G750JM is spot on for me. It's a shame it has to be drivers that are the issue. The other side of the coin is that I avoid first batch products. There are always problems that require time fixing, if they are ever fixed.

ComputerTech
10-16-2014, 11:07 PM
I've had my G750JM for a while now and I'm very satisfied with it. The main issue is the driver failure, but any other issues are mostly likely rare issues. I've had no problem with the fans throttling or overheating. I did update to driver 344.11 from the GeForce Experience and I have yet to see a BSOD in 4 weeks. Maybe I'm lucky, but it seems since these newer drivers are now going to be targeted toward the GTX 800 and 900 series so we may see this issue finally completely resolved.

hmscott
10-16-2014, 11:53 PM
hmscott, right now the G751 is too expensive. Today the price is a big selling point for the G750 series and with its cooling technology ASUS has no rival in this price range. From the hardware and price point of view G750JM is spot on for me. It's a shame it has to be drivers that are the issue. The other side of the coin is that I avoid first batch products. There are always problems that require time fixing, if they are ever fixed.

Xternal, the G751 seems to be running cooler, and talking with 1 new owner he says it doesn't have Optimus - so that helps explain the back to low temps like the G750JW/JX/JH. The G751 doesn't have a easily removable battery...

G751JY Does Not Have Optimus
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52651-G751JY-Does-Not-Have-Optimus&p=443872&viewfull=1#post443872

The JM/JS/JZ run the CPU 10c hotter on average than the JW/JX/JH - due to the Optimus use of the enabled Intel iGPU - enabling that die area raises the temps - and all video output goes through the iGPU - so even when rendering on the Nvidia GPU the Intel iGPU is still hot - so to speak :)

You could go to the G750JS as a mid range.

Or go to the G751JM - it is coming out well under $2k US.

Here is one early listing example at $1500 CAD:

ASUS ROG G751JM Intel Core I7-4710HQ 12GB 1TB HDD 17.3in FHD GTX8640M DVD±RW AC Windows 8.1
http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-rog-g751jm-intel-core-ef-102953.htm