PDA

View Full Version : A few questions relating to the G750JX and Windows XP (YES XP LOL)

Pepperami
09-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Hey guys

Ok, I have managed to install Windows XP Pro under a dual boot system, but I do have a couple of questions regarding issues I have come up against

1) IDE MODE IN BIOS - Windows XP will only boot under the dual boot system if I go into the bios and change the AHIC option to IDE is there anyway around this as if I forget to do it, and try to boot Windows 7 (which was installed first) then the Laptop crashes and I have had to do a start up repair a couple of times

2) There are a few drivers I cannot seem to get for XP I have tried a few different ones and tried different ways, but all to no avail :(

Drivers I need are...

BM20702A0

PCI Simple Communications controller

Network Controller (Wireless the Ethernet is working fine but I cannot use that all the time as I cannot take the cable with me lol)

Video Controller (cannot seem to install Nvidia for some reason?

Any help very appreciated :)

BTW if your wondering WHY I have installed XP - my favourite game of all time C&C Generals Zero Hour keeps crashing, I have tried all the fixes and patches and options.ini files known to exist and it works for about 5 mins then crashes, so this was the best solution, not all the drivers are needed for this of course, but its a mission now to see if I can get them working :)

hmscott
09-12-2014, 12:20 AM
...BTW if your wondering WHY I have installed XP - my favourite game of all time C&C Generals Zero Hour keeps crashing, I have tried all the fixes and patches and options.ini files known to exist and it works for about 5 mins then crashes, so this was the best solution, not all the drivers are needed for this of course, but its a mission now to see if I can get them working :)

Pepperami, it's pretty unlikely you will find drivers that work for XP for the items missing. But, if you do find them please post them, I think it would be a fun dual boot.

Via Google there are people that have used Virtualbox/Wine3d to run XP to host C&C Generals Zero Hour on Linux - so it is likely you could try running in a VM of XP hosted on Windows, have you tried that?

Pepperami
09-12-2014, 08:06 AM
No mate I haven't tried that yet but sounds like a plan I'll give it a go over the weekend and let you know :-)

It's a shame that with all the money and resources EA have and this being one of their most popular games of all time that they would have sorted it but alas no lol