PDA

View Full Version : Asus g750jm running hot.

StarryEternities
09-12-2014, 12:16 AM
First, right off the bat, I'm new to the forum of ROG so I don't really know if this post should be posted here or not.
So I have an Asus g750jm and I don't just use it for gaming, I also use it for video encoding, and I need to do that quite frequently. But one day I was curious about what the temps were in my system, so I downloaded a couple programs, HWiNFO and Core Temp to try and figure out my questions. But what I saw was that my system was running under load around 85C-95C and that got me worried because the little I know about computers is that your cpu should run a bit under 80C.
Is this really really bad? Should I underclock my system?
For those curious this happens when I'm on a flat table top surface without any blockage of intake/output fans.
(The cpu is an i7-4700hq)

hmscott
09-12-2014, 12:37 AM
First, right off the bat, I'm new to the forum of ROG so I don't really know if this post should be posted here or not.
So I have an Asus g750jm and I don't just use it for gaming, I also use it for video encoding, and I need to do that quite frequently. But one day I was curious about what the temps were in my system, so I downloaded a couple programs, HWiNFO and Core Temp to try and figure out my questions. But what I saw was that my system was running under load around 85C-95C and that got me worried because the little I know about computers is that your cpu should run a bit under 80C.
Is this really really bad? Should I underclock my system?
For those curious this happens when I'm on a flat table top surface without any blockage of intake/output fans.
(The cpu is an i7-4700hq)

StarryEternities, a bunch of us worked to help out dblkk, with the same problem, overheating CPU due to video editing / encoding.

These are the results thread, going back in chronological order (approx):

Things to try ~CPU overheating JM/JS/JZ models~
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48594-Things-to-try-CPU-overheating-JM-JS-JZ-models&highlight=video+editing

Thermals for G750 JS model? - when dblk was looking to upgrade from the JM.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47093-Thermals-for-G750-JS-model&highlight=video+editing

Asus G750 jm compared to Asus G750 JS
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46817-Asus-G750-jm-compared-to-Asus-G750-JS&highlight=video+editing

New Asus g750 with 860m
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46377-New-Asus-g750-with-860m&highlight=video+editing

Rog g750 jm to js upgrade?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46715-Rog-g750-jm-to-js-upgrade

dblkk ended up getting an MSI, not what I would have suggested, I thought a JZ would have been better, but after going through so many JM/JS's I can understand his choice, and he is happy with his choice.

I hope the XTU info on how to undervolt, run the cores at 99% to disable Turbo, and set the Core Multipliers helps you. You can also tune the number of cores being used by setting the Affinity of the process that starts the rendering processes.

If you have any questions after reading these threads, please let us know :)

Caastiel
09-12-2014, 04:02 AM
Out of curiosity, what are your temps when not under load?

StarryEternities
09-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Out of curiosity, what are your temps when not under load?
From memory, my cpu was anywhere between 40C-50C while idle(ish).

StarryEternities
09-12-2014, 07:01 PM
StarryEternities, a bunch of us worked to help out dblkk, with the same problem, overheating CPU due to video editing / encoding.

I hope the XTU info on how to undervolt, run the cores at 99% to disable Turbo, and set the Core Multipliers helps you. You can also tune the number of cores being used by setting the Affinity of the process that starts the rendering processes.
)
Thank you so much for the help. I just did some undervolting. When I put the dynamic cpu voltage to -50.78 and the multiplier of 3 and 4 to 30x from 32x I manage to have my system with the 5 minutes stress test deliver 80C-86C. (Got 99% utilization and 2.99GHz)
I also tried -54.68 and got 2.99GHz, got around 97% utilization, but got around 77C-84C.
Should I continue to go down to 80C under heavy heavy load? Or should I keep it at 77C-84C or is 80C-86C okay?

Caastiel
09-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Thank you so much for the help. I just did some undervolting. When I put the dynamic cpu voltage to -50.78 and the multiplier of 3 and 4 to 30x from 32x I manage to have my system with the 5 minutes stress test deliver 80C-86C. (Got 99% utilization and 2.99GHz)
I also tried -54.68 and got 2.99GHz, got around 97% utilization, but got around 77C-84C.
Should I continue to go down to 80C under heavy heavy load? Or should I keep it at 77C-84C or is 80C-86C okay?
Test your JM for stability before going down further. I undervolted mine plenty and it seems fine till I noticed lagging/stuttering when under load. Ended up undervolting to -30 to prevent those problems.

hmscott
09-12-2014, 08:16 PM

StarryEternities, it looks like it is going to be a balance between performance throughput and temperature, so you might want to build a couple of profiles and stay on the low temp profile most of the time, and when you need to push through a bunch of work, tap the high performance profile.

In comparison I keep the XTU profile on high all the time, but use Windows Balanced Power plan with CPU Min/Max at 0%/100% so the CPU can cool down between work. Think of the Balanced plan, but for an XTU profile, and High Performance 100%/100% power plan for heavy throughput work.

Nice work btw :)

hmscott
09-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Test your JM for stability before going down further. I undervolted mine plenty and it seems fine till I noticed lagging/stuttering when under load. Ended up undervolting to -30 to prevent those problems.

Caastiel, interesting, I wonder if that is due to the iGPU getting hit as well, at the same time. With me I get a BSOD +-5 mV from stable - no stuttering in between.

StarryEternities
09-13-2014, 12:37 AM
StarryEternities, it looks like it is going to be a balance between performance throughput and temperature, so you might want to build a couple of profiles and stay on the low temp profile most of the time, and when you need to push through a bunch of work, tap the high performance profile.

In comparison I keep the XTU profile on high all the time, but use Windows Balanced Power plan with CPU Min/Max at 0%/100% so the CPU can cool down between work. Think of the Balanced plan, but for an XTU profile, and High Performance 100%/100% power plan for heavy throughput work.

Nice work btw :)

Thanks again! And thanks for the advice. I've been stressed a bit recently and realizing my temps were high I was very worried. Couldn't find any articles about it, I obviously didn't look hard enough. Thanks you!

StarryEternities
09-13-2014, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the advice, did a 20 minutes stress test, not stuttering. Also I did a two and a half to three hour stress test of Borderlands 2. If that counts.

GottiBoi55
09-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Hey guys for some reference points, these are my "Burn in Test Results"
Benchmark: IntelBurnTestV2.54

Temps, memory, and CPU loads, note all areas of the test was run under maximum load for 1 hour.
Note: Idle Temp @ max core was 37c.
After about ten minutes, temps settled down, and on average was between 78c-87c for the hour the Burn in test ran.
(only ran the Burn in Test for two passes, the ten pass test would have ran for about five hours)

hmscott
09-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Hey guys for some reference points, these are my "Burn in Test Results"
Benchmark: IntelBurnTestV2.54
Temps, memory, and CPU loads, note all areas of the test was run under maximum load for 1 hour.
Note: Idle Temp @ max core was 37c.

GottiBoi55, generally, comparing max temps at 100% CPU usage, the JM/JS/JZ run about 10c hotter than the JW/JX/JH.

My result numbers show not quite that much difference because I have used XTU to increase core/cache multipliers with a -25mV undervolt. If I were at stock multi without undervolt the difference tracks almost exactly 10c. You can see the performance increase due to the XTU settings.

Thanks for taking the time to do the 2 run passes, I only ran 1 pass due to your consistency on both your passes :)

GottiBoi55
09-17-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks, my friend;)
Yes, that's a sweet performance bump you achieved there.
So your settings are very stable, no problems?

I had the JZ going on three weeks now, this beast is screaming fast, much faster then my other 'G series" I've own.
The 880M kills everything on ultra setting, well worth the price.

hmscott
09-17-2014, 05:46 AM
Thanks, my friend;)
Yes, that's a sweet performance bump you achieved there.
So your settings are very stable, no problems?
I had the JZ going on three weeks now, this beast is screaming fast, much faster then my other 'G series" I've own.
The 880M kills everything on ultra setting, well worth the price.

GottiBoi55, the speed improvement from stock CPU is small, but stable and worthwhile. It is really just a multi unlock to original spec settings rather than an OC over spec.

Intel ships at a lower mullti setting due to vagaries of cooling solutions, but the G750 class cooling can easily handle the full speed multi at 36x/35x/34x/34x for the cores, and 36x for the CPU cache.

You can compensate a bit for the increased heat generated at full multi's by undervolting the CPU. The range of stable undervolts reported is -20mV to -125mV, it varies by individual CPU sample. My JW ran stable at -125mV, JX at -70mV, and my JH started stable at -20mV, but now runs stable at -50mV - slightly increasing the undervolt since Nov 13 till now.

Here is what it looks like in XTU:

The GPU OC with Asus Tweak Tool for Graphics cards (JW/JX/JH) increased the performance of my 780m even more than the CPU improvement, but your 880m already has most of the OC improvement included by default in the 880m vBIOS, so Asus doesn't give the same OC latitude in Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops (JM/JS/JZ). You can use MSI Afterburner to do additional GPU/Memory OC.

GottiBoi55
09-19-2014, 12:15 AM
Thanks for sharing your OC results , looks awesome.
My 880m GPU destroys everything , I'm getting major FPS in all my games, due to OC improvement included as you said.
The 880m is wicked fast already, don't think it needs any more OC.
Thanks again.