PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JZ Massive dpc latency caused by NDIS and storport.sys

Wulff
09-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Hello,
I have an Asus g750jz notebook with the 2x256gb sandisk raid0 config and a qca 8171/8175 lan card . I use this laptop for gaming abviously but also wanna use it for dj-ing with traktor and for that the lower the latency the better. i experienced audio crackles and pops during my dj sets and did a test with a program called latencymon. within a minute i get spikes and a message saying my computer is unable to handle real time audio processing. the 2 processes/ driver that caused this are NDIS wich is from the lan card and storport.sys from microsoft.

first problem is quite easy to be eleminated by disabling the lan card when dj-ing but this storport is not. Does anybody know if this is some driver for the raid config? and if yes would it be gone if i would re-setup my system non raid with ahci?

and does anybody else have the same issue as me then? if anyone is willing to try it on a similar raid0 setup as mine i wou;ld be very grateful. talked with asus costumer service here in holland as well, but all he said was its your problem we designed this laptop for gaming... hmmm

latencymon can be downloaded here: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

for me this is a very big issue since this in fact makes my 1900 euro laptop useless for dj-ing wich in my opinion is a bit weird

kind regards and thanx in advcance for any help/ tips

Floppy72
09-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Nobody care about audio here...

Just gaming ..

I have the same problem with Asus G550jk ( cubase 7.5 here ... )

swaaye
09-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Storport is related to SCSI and thus have you considered the RAID as a potential problem? Motherboard chipset RAID is usually not as super as it sounds on paper. I have seen system stuttering during movie playback of all things while using Smart Response and AFAIK that uses a form of RAID.

And seriously why use RAID 0 with SSDs? I would only consider a setup like that for a use case that needs massive sequential throughput.

Wulff
09-12-2014, 07:36 PM
ok, i did a re-install of windows now and disabled the raid0 and installed windows on my 500gb 840 evo drive. no more issues with storport now so
thats good. Still find it weird that the lan card causes so much problems, never had that before on any laptop. Regretting a bit i chose the raid0
config now, never thought it might cause problems like this. hopefully the problem in traktor is also gone now but couldnt test that yet.

Looking at crucial m550 512gb m.2 ssd's to replace those 256 sandisk for storage purposes cause i read that removing this raid board and replace
it with a normal ssd is not easy at all if it is possible at all

swaaye
09-12-2014, 07:41 PM
You could try looking for newer or older drivers for the LAN chip. Maybe it's just a driver problem. It's strange that this is a problem even if you aren't transferring data through the LAN chip.

Wulff
09-12-2014, 09:52 PM
i tried it with 3 different versions but it made no difference , weird thing is also that whenever trying to re-install a newer driver or want to disable the lan card with device manager my system hangs endlessly trying to do that.. it also takes quite long to connect to internet whenever i reboot the laptop or even when removing the cable and pluggin it back in

hmscott
09-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Hello,
I have an Asus g750jz notebook with the 2x256gb sandisk raid0 config and a qca 8171/8175 lan card . I use this laptop for gaming abviously but also wanna use it for dj-ing with traktor and for that the lower the latency the better. i experienced audio crackles and pops during my dj sets and did a test with a program called latencymon. within a minute i get spikes and a message saying my computer is unable to handle real time audio processing. the 2 processes/ driver that caused this are NDIS wich is from the lan card and storport.sys from microsoft.

first problem is quite easy to be eleminated by disabling the lan card when dj-ing but this storport is not. Does anybody know if this is some driver for the raid config? and if yes would it be gone if i would re-setup my system non raid with ahci?

and does anybody else have the same issue as me then? if anyone is willing to try it on a similar raid0 setup as mine i wou;ld be very grateful. talked with asus costumer service here in holland as well, but all he said was its your problem we designed this laptop for gaming... hmmm

latencymon can be downloaded here: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

for me this is a very big issue since this in fact makes my 1900 euro laptop useless for dj-ing wich in my opinion is a bit weird

kind regards and thanx in advcance for any help/ tips

Wulff, it may be your Intel Rapid Storage Technology Manger version, and settings. I just ran latencymonitor 6 while doing a complete Crystaldiskmark run on my 128GBx2 RAID0, and latencymon didn't report any problems.

I am running Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver 13.1.0.1058, use the SetupRST.exe to install.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24006&lang=eng&ProdId=2101
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24006/eng/SetupRST.exe

Then change the settings to Write-Back cache and disable write cache flushing

These are the Qualcomm drivers I have installed

Here are the latest Notebook WLAN drivers (no Intel)
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=WLAN&os=3

Version V1.1.43.1280 - Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/WLAN/WLAN_QualcommAtherosKiller_Win81_64_VER11431280.zi p

Here are the latest Notebook LAN drivers
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=589&m=LAN&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

Version V2.1.0.21 - Qualcomm Atheros LAN Driver
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/LAN/LAN_QualcommAtheros_Win81_64_VER21021.zip

If your network detection is taking too long, it could be your router DHCP exchange, and/or DNS - if you set those values for the interface directly, instead of using DHCP to negotiate them the set up will be quicker.

When you hang when trying to uninstall/install a new driver, the resource is in contention.

Exit all open programs that are using the network, and disable your firewall / anti-virus as well, just in case those are keeping the driver open.

There should be no problem uninstalling/installing the driver, but you could also try disabling the interface in the Network and Sharing Center => Change Adapter Settings - right click on the ethernet interface and disable it, wait for it to complete, then do the uninstall/install.

SSD's also need optimizing, there is a product I use to optimize the layout and keep it optimized, it improves the READ benchmark from about 850MB/sec to about 1040MB/sec.

I run PerfectDisk SMART Placement once on the C drive, then set it to SSD Optimize and that keeps the SSD fast and latency free. I did the 30 day trial and then bought it back in Windows 8.0 -> 8.1 Timeframe. Raxco was the quickest release on Windows 8.1.

PerfectDisk Pro 30 day trial
http://download.raxco.com/perfectdisk-pro

Right click on drive first time to select SMART Placement

Let us know how that works out :)

broadleaf
09-13-2014, 01:21 PM
@Wulff havent read whole thread but did you install lan drivers from ASUS or from Atheros?
Cuz the latest are better.

hmscott
09-13-2014, 01:26 PM
@Wulff havent read whole thread but did you install lan drivers from ASUS or from Atheros?
Cuz the latest are better.

broadleaf, which version on Asus vs Qualcomm's site specifically?

broadleaf
09-13-2014, 01:33 PM
i used latest that i can find. Version from Qualcomm fixed a lot of bugs for me as well as better killer wlan performance, zero to no spikes and etc in comparison to asus one. I come to ASUS driver page just to find out which drivers i need and then get them from official sites where they are usually more updated (MORE UPDATED I SAY ahaha).

hmscott
09-13-2014, 01:42 PM
i used latest that i can find. Version from Qualcomm fixed a lot of bugs for me as well as better killer wlan performance, zero to no spikes and etc in comparison to asus one. I come to ASUS driver page just to find out which drivers i need and then get them from official sites where they are usually more updated (MORE UPDATED I SAY ahaha).

broadleaf, I know you are trying to help, but as it turns out the LAN driver is the same version on both locations, V2.1.0.21, so it would be a waste of time for him to check off site.

When you make a suggestion to look elsewhere, please take the time to look yourself first, and then provide the location link, version number, and direct download link.

As long as you are making the effort to post, please post all the relevant info, that saves everyone the hunting time you have already spent looking/finding, and if you don't find a newer version where you think there might be one, then there is no need to post and send someone on a wild goose chase :)

Asus doesn't put the newest drivers in the older product support areas, they put them in the shared areas and in new product areas, if you find newer drivers, please include the download area link and the specific Version number and download link for that version.

Qualcomm Driver Downloads
https://www.qca.qualcomm.com/resources/driverdownloads/

WIN_AR816X_Windows WHQL Driver V2.1.0.21
https://www.qca.qualcomm.com/drivers/AR813x_AR815x_AR816x_v2.1.0.21_WHQL.zip

There is also a mistake in the list of downloads there pointing to the wrong driver, the above one is ok, but another similarly labeled one downloads a completely different family driver - beware.

Also, the Wifi driver listed isn't as new as the one on the Asus site. They have V1.1.38.1281 and Asus has V1.1.43.1280, which is newer.

This is actually common with many manufacturer sites, they don't update user accessible download areas as often as OEM partner download areas, so Asus can get newer versions than we can.

Nvdia, Intel, Realtek sites are good to check for newer drivers than Asus has, but usually Asus has the newest drivers, somewhere on their site - you just need to play the easter egg hunt game Asus provides us, and find it ;)

Wulff
09-14-2014, 01:27 PM
hi all, thanx for all the replies. I did use that rapid storage driver from intel wich was that version you desrcibed hmscott. weird i have so many problems then with the raid0 config. I will try and re-install it soon and then use perfectdisk to try and optimise the ssd's. i did use that same asus lan driver
before as well since that is the latests there is available also on the qualcom site itself i think? if you have a newer version then the the one hmscott mentioned as well let me know where you have found that then, even thew driver station site didnt have newer drivers available

Had a dj set last night wich was 3 hours and had no problems this time running windows from the samsung evo 500gb disk. but it would be much better if the raid0 config was good enough as well. Its not that i cannot dj with it at all, but some minor hickups are just as bad .

again thanx for all the suggestions

Wulff
09-14-2014, 01:34 PM
i have 1 other question hmscott, in your latencymon test i see the rapidstorage driver iastor mentioned while here i see storport.sys microsoft storage port driver. Would it be possible that my notebook uses that built in MS driver then instead of this rapidstorage driver then? cause i had this sawm driver causing issues on the raid0 config.

and if so how would i be able to get this iastor as well since i did install rst 13.1.0.1058 here as well

hmscott
09-14-2014, 02:01 PM
i have 1 other question hmscott, in your latencymon test i see the rapidstorage driver iastor mentioned while here i see storport.sys microsoft storage port driver. Would it be possible that my notebook uses that built in MS driver then instead of this rapidstorage driver then? cause i had this sawm driver causing issues on the raid0 config.

and if so how would i be able to get this iastor as well since i did install rst 13.1.0.1058 here as well...

Wulff, do you still have the original OS load running on your JZ, or did you reload the OS from a Microsoft install?

It looks like the driver choosen for the RAID was the Microsoft generic, and that usually only happens if there is no specific driver when the install was done.

So yes, if you installed the Rapid Storage software, it should be available to replace the current RAID driver. In the Device Manager, right click on the device, Update driver, and Choose from available drivers, and see if the Intel RST driver, iastorA.sys - might have another Intel name, can be selected.

Same for the network LAN driver, it seems to have selected the NDIS wrapper as a specific driver wasn't available. Now that it is installed you should be able to switch to it.

Also, check to see what version of the Intel Management Engine Components you have, I have 10.0.25.1036

Keep debugging :)

Wulff
09-14-2014, 02:17 PM
i did my own re-install andf not the version that came preinstalled with my notebook. I did try to update the mei firmware here so maybe that could be the problem as well? im runnin firmware version 9.1 build 1010 hotfix 2 with mei driver version pack: 9.5.23.1766 but i will try the driver pack you
sugested as well. If you think that the firmware flash of the mei could be problematic could you check wich one you have on your system? although i dididnt see any "obvious issues" after i did this. will try adn that the iastor on my system as well, think that would help for sure then.

as for the lan driver i did use the one i got from windows update this time to see it was different ( better) then the one provided by asus but it wasnt :).

will re-install soon with all the sugestions implemented

hmscott
09-14-2014, 02:34 PM
i did my own re-install andf not the version that came preinstalled with my notebook. I did try to update the mei firmware here so maybe that could be the problem as well? im runnin firmware version 9.1 build 1010 hotfix 2 with mei driver version pack: 9.5.23.1766 but i will try the driver pack you
sugested as well. If you think that the firmware flash of the mei could be problematic could you check wich one you have on your system? although i dididnt see any "obvious issues" after i did this. will try adn that the iastor on my system as well, think that would help for sure then.

as for the lan driver i did use the one i got from windows update this time to see it was different ( better) then the one provided by asus but it wasnt :).

will re-install soon with all the sugestions implemented

Wulff, it is dangerous to update the MEI firmware - unless directed to do it by the MEI driver install, but if you are still running, you are ok, just make sure you have the latest matching drivers from Intel - they will complain if they don't like the firmware they find, and force an update.

The generic driver issues are one of the reasons I don't suggest doing a from scratch Microsoft Windows install.

If you don't know any better, or in your case unless you have a test that fails, you won't know you have the wrong driver in place - everything will look like it is working, but you won't be at the optimal configuration - which you already had with the Asus OEM install configured specifically for your Asus hardware.

There is no reason to do a "clean" install from Microsoft media, the Asus build is perfectly tuned for the hardware - just uninstall their well meaning, but not pleasantly implemented tools like: Power4Gear, Splendid, the version of Asus Gaming Mouse driver, the version of Cyberlink DVD, Asus Live Update - Asus doesn't update it's drivers served, and Asus Vibe.

But, you can get back there, it just takes a lot of effort.

Unless you want to train yourself for Windows OS builds, it's better to stay with the Asus build and spend 5 minutes uninstalling the Asus stuff we don't need. You could even leave all of it in place and be blissfully happy.

Have fun :)

Wulff
09-14-2014, 02:57 PM
hmmm , i was afraid it would end up with the original install by asus wich i didnt backup ofc :) hehe time to order me some recovery media then i guess. will try 1 last time to see if i can get it going properly myself. never expected to run into this kind of issues since i came from a clevo build laptop wich pretty much let me do whatever i wanted with it hehe seems this asus is a bit more complicated driverwise then. Any ideas what a recovery media set would cost me if thats even available for purchase?

*EDIT* i just checked with my serial number and there are no recovery media discs available for my laptop. will phone
customer service tomorrow and see what other options there are. perhaps i can drop it off at the service center myself cause its only 50km away orso hehe

hmscott
09-14-2014, 03:33 PM
hmmm , i was afraid it would end up with the original install by asus wich i didnt backup ofc :) hehe time to order me some recovery media then i guess. will try 1 last time to see if i can get it going properly myself. never expected to run into this kind of issues since i came from a clevo build laptop wich pretty much let me do whatever i wanted with it hehe seems this asus is a bit more complicated driverwise then. Any ideas what a recovery media set would cost me if thats even available for purchase?

*EDIT* i just checked with my serial number and there are no recovery media discs available for my laptop. will phone
customer service tomorrow and see what other options there are. perhaps i can drop it off at the service center myself cause its only 50km away orso hehe

Wulff, you aren't alone, a lot of people go down this road, blowing away the partition with the recovery image, and not realize there is no recovery media available until too late.

There are a few options.

1) Find a friend or local dealer you can ask to allow you to run Asus Backtracker and use a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive to build a recovery flash drive.

2) If you are still in the return period swap your G750 for a new one, and create the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive first thing :)

3) RMA to Asus and they will restore the OS for you.

If you can get a flash recovery drive to use to restore to your laptop, don't forget to back up all your stuff to an external drive, from both the boot drive and the secondary drive, and/or pull the second Bay drive before doing the restore - the recovery flash restore blows away all partitions on internal drives it finds and recreates the out of the box partitioning before restoring the OS.

If you have an Asus repair depot within driving distance, call and confirm what your issue is with them before you go and they may let you create an Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB Flash drive from one of their lab machines instead of RMA'ing your laptop, it doesn't hurt to ask :)

Wulff
09-14-2014, 04:06 PM
i will call asus tomorrow and hopefully they will alow me to either bring in the laptop myself and pick it up when they are done restoring it or if they can make a usb for me over there.

many thanx again for all your kind help

Wulff
09-15-2014, 04:34 PM
So i setup my system in raid0 again to try it with the suggestions hmscott gave me, i did have way lower latency but still massive amounts of hardpage faults in the latencymon test. So this time i checked all process ID's that gave the hardpage faults and disabled the (safe to disable) services that were causing this. Now i ran the latencymon test again for almost an hour and the latency was superlow and no hardpage faults anymore either.

However i still might send it in to get the original pre-installed config again just to check if that would perform even better and with way less hardpage faults without having to disable all these things

so im glad it is possible to reduce the latency to almost nothing

hmscott
09-15-2014, 08:07 PM
So i setup my system in raid0 again to try it with the suggestions hmscott gave me, i did have way lower latency but still massive amounts of hardpage faults in the latencymon test. So this time i checked all process ID's that gave the hardpage faults and disabled the (safe to disable) services that were causing this. Now i ran the latencymon test again for almost an hour and the latency was superlow and no hardpage faults anymore either.

However i still might send it in to get the original pre-installed config again just to check if that would perform even better and with way less hardpage faults without having to disable all these things

so im glad it is possible to reduce the latency to almost nothing

Wulff, that's great, can you list the services that were the offending services? If might help debug the underlying issue a bit more. Were you able to get rid of the generic driver issues for RAID/Ndis? Or were the services related to those resources?

Wulff
09-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Yeah good news indeed. Right now its hard to tell wich services cause the most hardpagefaults but its definatly more a windows issue then a driver issue it seems. As for that storport.sys i still see that but also saw the iastor pop up once so i might be ok.

After i get my system back from ASUS when they restored it for me i will really do a more step by step disabling of the services causing hardpage faults and latency. what i did now was pretty random so there are 49 services disabled right now. haha

*edit* and forgot to mention that this is also with both the lan and wifi disabled, but thats fine by me when i use it for music

hmscott
09-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Yeah good news indeed. Right now its hard to tell wich services cause the most hardpagefaults but its definatly more a windows issue then a driver issue it seems. As for that storport.sys i still see that but also saw the iastor pop up once so i might be ok.

After i get my system back from ASUS when they restored it for me i will really do a more step by step disabling of the services causing hardpage faults and latency. what i did now was pretty random so there are 49 services disabled right now. haha

*edit* and forgot to mention that this is also with both the lan and wifi disabled, but thats fine by me when i use it for music

Wulff, got it, you are in the must get it working shotgun mode, been there, done that :)

It will be fun to know when you get things back and optimized what it takes to make Windows real-time enough to do what is needed for real-time sound processing.

Edit: googling for optimizing windows for real time sound processing
https://www.google.com/search?q=optimizing+windows+for+real+time+sound+pr ocessing

Wulff
09-15-2014, 09:54 PM
yeah would be handy to know that for sure, perhaps there might even be some way to create a sort of batch files that disable all those services when i use it for music and enable them when done. that would probably be the best solution as i have no other problems with my laptop, but im not sure if something like that is possible :) hope so though, will look for some way to do that then

edit: well thats easy to do i see , great