PDA

View Full Version : G53JW Won't charge while playing game

souprcampbell
09-13-2014, 02:23 PM
I've read through a bunch of threads here about the G53 series and all kinds of charging/power jack issues.

I have a G53JW. It has been serviced twice for power jack issues. First the gold pin broke off in the power jack and was replaced. after a couple months of that being fixed, the plug got very hot even melting some plastic. It developed a "sweet spot" for charging. Unless the plug was in that spot, it wouldn't charge, and even at that, it was a very slow charge. When playing a game (Arma 3 on Steam) it wouldn't hold charge even if the plug was in it's "sweet spot." I ASSumed this was due to the power jack not pulling enough power to charge the battery when the video cards were running because it was never really charging efficiently anyway.

So I took it to another shop, they again replaced the power jack. It charges. It charges faster. There is no more "sweet spot," as long as it is plugged in, it charges, as supposed to.

But when I load Arma 3 in Steam (I don't have any other games loaded on the HDD to test this with another) the light on the front of my laptop (green, 100% charged) turns off, I minimize the game and see that the battery is depleting. I looked at the power brick and it now shows no light (charging?). the laptop will shut down due to power draining after about 40mins in game. if i exit the game completely, it will resume charging

cl-Albert
09-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Just wondering if your adapter has ever been able to charge the battery while plugged into the notebook?

Anyway, can you check the output rating printed under your adapter which may be something like 19V DC, 6.32A for the 120 Watt AC adapter and compare with the input rating printed under your notebook (might be in the battery bay for your notebook, but honestly don't remember) which should normally match? Thanks.

Sci-ops
09-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Hi,

I think this sounds like a little more complicated of a problem then a DC jack fault. Something must be damaging the DC jack. It can be the power adapter supplying incorrect power or it can be a component on the motherboard that is damaged. It's easier to test or replace the adapter.

The charging circuits on laptop motherboards resemble one another. If you rule out the adapter, I would advise you to take a look at this video. It's a repairman walking through the process of inspecting the charging circuit. If my laptop had this problem this is I what would get done or do myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWowCgOFOw

Once you have a rough idea, I think you could tell the repair service that you want the charging circuitry inspected. Asking questions like are the mosfets ok, have you tested them in circuit or out of circuit, were any of the components heating up when you were testing the laptop? (Some use a fancy thermal camera but a cheap IR thermometer will the same, checking the temperatures of components is one way to diagnose problems) Questions like these should get them on their toes. After all you had to service this laptop 3 times for the same problem. Some components can only be properly inspected once they are desoldered from circuit so it's time consuming and may not be very convenient for the service. The power moves through components like inductors(coils), fuses, resistors, transistors called mosfets. The charging is controlled by a little square chip which could be culprit. The video is pretty informative.

So what I think is some of these components are not working correctly. There is too much stress on the power jack, it starts to oxide and reduces in conductivity at which point laptop only charges at a sweep point or a certain position. Increasing in resistance, the power jack becomes a mini power resistor. It heats up more and more and finally burns or melts. I really think DC jack is the victim here.

You also know on high power consumption activity like games the laptop doesn't use AC power. This is probably because it can't use AC power. On high demand some components can get to high temperatures in short time and stop functioning normally. When they cool down they may return back to normal. I think they will eventually fail.

Anyways those are my theories, you should first rule out the adapter.

Wish you the best of luck.

souprcampbell
10-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Ok, so far I have ordered an OEM AC adapter from ASUS on the advice fromcl-Albert. It should be delivered today, I will post if it fixes the problem. If that does not resolve the issue, I will follow on the Sci-ops' recommendation and find a reputable repair technician and push the issue with them.

Thanks for the support