PDA

View Full Version : Why I LOVE My G750JZ. Yes, I Even Love Optimus.

DuffmasterFresh
09-14-2014, 08:05 PM
I have finally come to terms with this laptop, the G750JZ with Optimus. (TL:DR below) I have had this for a few months now and I think Optimus is absolutely amazing and while irritating most of the time, I am happy to have it and deal with it than not have it at all. Because of Optimus and the intel screen calibration whatever, I can't run my Spyder 4 screen calibration software and get a reliable calibration for editing photos. However, it works fine on an external monitor. This is my biggest gripe with Optimus but otherwise, I love it. Oh, I hate the finger prints. Holy crap there is no end to them, what spray can I use to clean the outside of this thing?

Now for why I love this laptop:
Everyone who sees it immediately goes, "holy **** dude, wtf is that!?" and I tell them it's a jet fighter 1/100th scale model. I tell them it's so powerful that they had no choice but make it weigh 10lbs, which is 5 times the weight of most current laptops. They assume I have a 1 hour battery life but I tell them, "with great power comes great responsibility" and that's where Optimus comes in. At school, I can get 6.5 hours out of this laptop if I'm just doing internet stuff and microsoft office apps.

As a student, this is absolutely necessary because everything these days is online. I couldn't be happier. I usually leave my charger in the car now, which is parked a mile away from campus, because I know I won't run out of battery power. All of this with a 17 inch screen? You bet. I love the big screen because I can split the monitor in half and use half for my online textbook and half for my assignment without getting upset at how small everything is.

I admit, this thing weighs a ton and I hate carrying it around. It's uncomfortable and it takes up my entire desk at school but I am willing to deal with that for the benefits it gives me. I stopped caring about the fan issue, how it goes on and off all the time, because I know it's keeping the laptop cool and even in my classes I can't hear it. My friends macbook pro fan screams like a banshee when it's doing anything remotely intensive, and it' isn't that old. A macbook air was the same, it was dead silent until I needed it to do anything other than web surfing, then it became really loud. I thought the fan on this was loud but listening to other peoples laptops, I can say this thing is quiet, even when under heavy use.

I recently started up my own business (I am a business major so I figured, why not?) which is the biggest reason I purchased this laptop. It replaces my desktop and I can now work at full capacity anywhere in the world. When I pull this out, clients know I mean business. I can do anything right then and there for them. I don't have to be embarrassed with a 5 minute start-up time because this starts up almost instantly. Oh and the number pad is crucial for business use because data entry is a big thing and trying to enter lots of numbers without a number pad is horrible.

I ALWAYS forget to switch from POWER SAVING MODE to PERFORMANCE mode when I start gaming with this laptop. This puts my frame rates at 15-20 FPS and I begin hating this laptop... until I remember to activate performance mode and suddenly I'm at 85FPS. REMEMBER TO DO THIS!!

Sorry this is so long, last thing! I used to use the intel extreme tuning utility and I tried to really tweak this thing out to get the best performance and battery life. I used to use a fan utility to control the fan manually. I used to always be in the system settings to close apps and monitor stats. I stopped doing that. Now I just use the laptop and know that it's doing just fine and that I don't need to obsess over everything.

TL:DR

I love this laptop and Optimus. Great 6.5hr battery life, great screen size for work and school, AMAZING cooling, insane startup time, ridiculous performance when needed. Really heavy but worth it. Center of conversations, people are very curious what it is and why it looks like it could transform and fly away.

I do have a few questions though:
-Where can I get accessories for this thing?
-I want a keyboard cover, so long as it won't rub against the screen and cause harm when closed. Do they make one?
-Do they make hard shells I can put over the lid of this thing? (I probably wont do it, but I'm curious)
-What is the best spray I should use to clean the outside lid and the inner keyboard and surface? (fingerprints, omg.)

Thank you!!

hmscott
09-14-2014, 08:30 PM
I do have a few questions though:
-Where can I get accessories for this thing?
-I want a keyboard cover, so long as it won't rub against the screen and cause harm when closed. Do they make one?
-Do they make hard shells I can put over the lid of this thing? (I probably wont do it, but I'm curious)
-What is the best spray I should use to clean the outside lid and the inner keyboard and surface? (fingerprints, omg.)
Thank you!!

DuffmasterFresh, congrats on the JZ :)

If you want a 2nd AC adapter and battery, or more, you can get them from the Asus eStore, here are all the G750 items available:

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=g750&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

The JZ/JH use the 230w AC adapter, and the JW/JX/JM/JS use the 180w adapter. All use the same battery.

There is only 1 Asus Backpack that I know holds a JZ/JH, the Asus Nomad:
http://rog.asus.com/299842014/laptop-backpacks/pr-asus-announces-the-rog-nomad-backpack/
http://www.asus.com/us/Computer_Bags/ASUS_ROG_NOMAD_BACKPACK/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9XTT9uGUAk

I use the white cloth that came with the JH to put between the keyboard and screen.

I don't use the JH keyboard/trackpad often, I use a wireless keyboard / trackpad. Keeps the JH clean of finger prints and food particles.

I use a wet wipe to keep the screen clean, and follow up with it on the top deck and any finger prints on the case.

Not much else is needed. Cooling pads don't help enough to justify the cost, unless you have one that raises up the laptop / screen to a comfortable viewing level, but for cooling it won't make much of a difference.

JZ review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdOpwHDEXHg

Enjoy!

broadleaf
09-15-2014, 05:57 AM
Hahaha. I love this thread. Probably i should make my own review.