PDA

View Full Version : TRIM NOT WORKING!! - Fresh OS install

Darnassus
09-19-2014, 09:24 AM
I don't think my Trim is working for my SSD,

Here's a screenshot of the blocks http://i.imgur.com/66MjOuq.png

I did a fresh install of Win 8.1 and of course I dragged things over from an external hard disc once Win8.1 was installed..

The thing is, when an SSD is trimmed and so on, the whole drive should look full and fragmented.

I did a CMD prompt test and it said trim is 0 (working).

Is it because my install is so new, the files haven't had a chance to be trimmed and spread out yet?

Where's pokerface with his trim program x'{

Darnassus
09-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Edit, found some weird in-built thing with Windows 8.1 that automatically defrags my drives every week. Turned it off.
WRONG PICTURE -- Correct one below
http://cdn.windows7themes.net/pics/optimize-drives.jpg

Still need help to make sure my trim is working, and properly.

gazzacbr
09-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Hi,
are you sure you have windows 8? the defrag program changed to "Optimize Drives" to avoid confusion about mixing disks and defragging ssd's (which is a big no)
if you typed this in from a DOS command prompt:
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
...and get the answer
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify = 0
...you are good to go. windows 8 will auto detect any ssd's and make settings to suit.
you dont need any other programs

in this picture from my lappy the 'Data 1TB Int' is a hard disk and the 'Analyze' option is active.
the other partitions are all SSD's and the 'Analyze' option will be greyed.
also check this:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8615-optimize-drives-defrag-hdd-trim-ssd-windows-8-a.html

Darnassus
09-19-2014, 10:57 AM
I used http://files.thecybershadow.net/trimcheck/

Seems Trim is working.

I'm using Windows 8.1 as said in first post..

And yes the thing is now called "Optimise drives" is that program safe to use in the OS? It had my SSD checked for weekly "optimisation". The dfrgui you mean?

Darnassus
09-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Ah I see what I did, I linked the wrong picture. It looks like this http://cdn.windows7themes.net/pics/optimize-drives.jpg

I also put it back on as the articles say it just triggers the trim function to run to "Optimise" it which I guess is fine. Confirm this is safe to run?

PS the 'Analyse' button is greyed out, yes.

gazzacbr
09-19-2014, 11:23 AM
ok, sounds good. generally you dont need to do anything. everything is good as it is with windows 8.
fyi, my C: drive has just optimized, it now says 0 days since last run as it run and automatically.
the delays are because i dont actually use this win 8.1 so often, and the server 2008 and games win 7 have most stuff like this disabled for performance.
the 'Data 1TB Int' is a shared drive between os's.

Prostar Computer
09-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Another way to check is to run an elevated command prompt, then type the command line:

If the result is '0', TRIM is enabled.

hmscott
09-19-2014, 03:30 PM
I...I did a fresh install of Win 8.1 and of course I dragged things over from an external hard disc once Win8.1 was installed..

Darnassus, did you do an Asus Backtracker recovery restore from the flash drive?

Or, did you do a Microsoft Media based 8.1 install?

Darnassus
09-20-2014, 08:03 AM
I did it from a CD, I burned myself a disc and installed it. I just TESTED the Backtracker in case sh!t hit the fan and needed to go back to factory in case I did something serious.

It's a fresh, 100% normal 8.1 install. (Not Asus Backtracker)

Prostar, I did that, though apparently it's not entirely accurate. Says the setting is on, but doesn't prove it works.

hmscott
09-21-2014, 08:24 AM
I did it from a CD, I burned myself a disc and installed it. I just TESTED the Backtracker in case sh!t hit the fan and needed to go back to factory in case I did something serious.

It's a fresh, 100% normal 8.1 install. (Not Asus Backtracker)

Prostar, I did that, though apparently it's not entirely accurate. Says the setting is on, but doesn't prove it works.

Darnassus, now that you have done both, which do you prefer? Doing the Asus Backtracker restore, and downloading and installing all the updates from the Windows 8.0 install, or figuring out all the missing stuff in a Microsoft Media install of 8.1?

Which method would you recommend an average user to do?

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 10:03 AM
I can't properly answer that but I'll do my best as I didn't even bother with the BackTracker. The only reason I made the BackTracker was in case something broke and I had to go back. I don't like installing 8, then upgrading to 8.1 I feel it makes a lot of mess. It's purely a failsafe.

I most definitely prefer installing 8.1 fresh. I've re-installed everything onto my OS and reclaimed over 100GB's worth of space and my drive is only 240GB big. Of course 20GB was the internal restore partition so 80GB was somewhere that I could not find.

I'll check through my backup of my old OS later, see where most of the bloat was.

My only issue right now is XTU isn't saving my overclock settings.

For an Average User: I'd recommend BackTracker, less hassle, does it all for you, boom, unit is wiped and ready to start again.

For a user who knows what they're doing and wants to know exactly what's in their unit, and what to put onto it to get it into it's utmost performance: Fresh install 8.1 of course.

End note: When I used BackTracker, I only used it for an hour. My system booted to desktop, worked on the internet and that's all I needed to know.

pokerface
09-22-2014, 03:52 AM
Another way to check is to run an elevated command prompt, then type the command line:

If the result is '0', TRIM is enabled.

That only checks if the TRIM command was successfully send but it DOES NOT check if it actually reached the SSD

The program linked above (trimcheck.exe) will also tell you if TRIM is really working or not