PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia GeForce 344.11 WHQL Drivers on G750JM

usmanm77
09-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Hello guys, Please has anyone tested the newly released NVidia 344.11 Display driver on the JM?.. If Yes, does this one too show the BSOD?

hmscott
09-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Hello guys, Please has anyone tested the newly released NVidia 344.11 Display driver on the JM?.. If Yes, does this one too show the BSOD?

usmanm77, so far positive results reporting into the JM BSOD thread :)

Help..new G750JM after geforce experience update to 2.1 >>>BSOD
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48151-Help..new-G750JM-after-geforce-experience-update-to-2.1-gt-gt-gt-BSOD&p=437523&viewfull=1#post437523

usmanm77
09-19-2014, 03:48 PM
usmanm77, so far positive results reporting into the JM BSOD thread :)

Help..new G750JM after geforce experience update to 2.1 >>>BSOD
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48151-Help..new-G750JM-after-geforce-experience-update-to-2.1-gt-gt-gt-BSOD&p=437523&viewfull=1#post437523

This is good news. Still, ill keep my fingers crossed and wait for 24hrs and then I will install it.

CĂ©dric
09-19-2014, 03:54 PM
sry guys i just get 1 BSOD :(

Jaitsu
09-20-2014, 07:27 AM
None thus far here after 24 hours, but if Cedric is having BSODs I'm still not holding my breath...

CĂ©dric
09-20-2014, 07:57 AM
i get 2 BSOD in 24h
back to 332.60 :/

usmanm77
09-20-2014, 06:36 PM
i get 2 BSOD in 24h
back to 332.60 :/

That's sad. Ill still wait for other people's review.

MegaMouseGW
09-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Shoot got it as soon as it went live and not a single BSOD yet.

Darnassus
09-20-2014, 08:25 PM
What does the BSOD look like? A literal blue screen with the error text? I've had one occurrence where I just get a black screen and my unit turns off. As if something pulled a killswitch. No error or anything and had to turn it back on. And that was in a game called Warcraft 3.

Running on 340.52

Drinkbeer87
09-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Glad a few have tested it out and posted there findings. I'm gonna wait a few days and see what people are saying about it. Would be nice if they finally come out with one that works for us though.

Jaitsu
09-21-2014, 12:08 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzczOJsZzalmNDlobWhGUTdTa1E/edit?usp=sharing Looks like this, Darnassus.

And that's odd. What version of Windows are you running? Did you switch to Windows 7, perchance? I've been hearing that Windows 7 users aren't getting the BSOD, and if that's the case, that just might be motivation enough for me to finally ditch Windows 8.

Also: Thought I should mention, I'm still running 344.11 and still have no BSODs. But given that others have gotten multiple, it's probably just luck.

kobby2k6
09-22-2014, 09:42 PM
any updates on using the 344.11 driver on Asus G750jm? I'm still on 337.88, I haven't had a single BSOD since getting this PC in June of this year. Does the new driver improve anything?

Jaitsu
09-23-2014, 02:26 AM
Kobby: Oddly, *I'm* still not getting any blue screens with 344.11 yet, but Cedric has reported three, so I'm not sure what to think at this point. I've been using it since the day it came out, though I haven't been gaming very often, and exiting games is often what triggers the BSODs.

CĂ©dric
09-23-2014, 03:50 AM
Hi guys

So first of all im using windows 8.1. I have BSOD with 344.11, 340.52 and i had to go back to 332.60 and now i have no BSOD anymore.
Jaitsu u're reallu lucky if u don t get BSOD with 344.11 or maybe u have a secret (black magic? voodoo? humain sacrifice maybe?) i'd really like to know.
I've heard about ppl dont get BSOD running W7 and if that's 100% confirmed, i think i will go back to 7. i need more feed back to be sure.
So pliz if u reply this post, dont forget to precise wich windows u're running.

PS: i have exactly the same BSOD as Jaitsu.

Darnassus
09-23-2014, 05:39 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0bzczojszzalmndlobwhgutdta1e/edit?usp=sharing looks like this, darnassus.

And that's odd. What version of windows are you running? Did you switch to windows 7, perchance? I've been hearing that windows 7 users aren't getting the bsod, and if that's the case, that just might be motivation enough for me to finally ditch windows 8.

Also: Thought i should mention, i'm still running 344.11 and still have no bsods. But given that others have gotten multiple, it's probably just luck.

lol.. ;( Big sad face.

Yeah I didn't get any of that.. my unit just instantly turned off. Practically like having a blackout and not having a battery in the machine.

But I don't know if it was a general error, or if my 340 is screwing up. It's only happened once in the space of two weeks. So 340 seems safe.. at least for us JX users.

BenF2409
09-23-2014, 06:42 AM
I installed 344.11 and got a BSOD straight away.

jsm451
09-23-2014, 08:00 AM
I fortunately haven't had a single BSOD on my JM with the 344.11 driver

Jaitsu
09-23-2014, 01:45 PM
lol.. ;( Big sad face.

Yeah I didn't get any of that.. my unit just instantly turned off. Practically like having a blackout and not having a battery in the machine.

But I don't know if it was a general error, or if my 340 is screwing up. It's only happened once in the space of two weeks. So 340 seems safe.. at least for us JX users.

OH, you're on a JX.. Man, and you had my hopes up. :P It's the JM that's been notorious for having so many BSODs with anything beyond 332.60. I dunno about the JX.

desertrose
09-23-2014, 03:48 PM
I had a BSOD with the new driver on the second day of using it. And not even while starting or exiting a game, just out of nowhere while listening to music...

NovaHova
09-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Been a huge while i got a BSOD. Cant even remember it tbh, must have a magic JM, good for me.
You guys should just update everything you can, windows update. All of them, and obviously asus JM drivers themselves, i have the most important ones updated.

FalconFX
09-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Anyone installed the new driver on a JH ??, if so, any problems to report ?

cosmicmango
09-23-2014, 09:59 PM

Updated on 9/18 without any problems.

hmscott
09-23-2014, 10:03 PM

FalconFX, G750JH batting 1.000 - always compatible with new Nvidia drivers :)

FalconFX
09-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Thank you cosmicmango & hmscott, im updating now :D

swaaye
09-24-2014, 12:30 AM
Been a huge while i got a BSOD. Cant even remember it tbh, must have a magic JM, good for me.
You guys should just update everything you can, windows update. All of them, and obviously asus JM drivers themselves, i have the most important ones updated.
Or install Win7. I haven't had a BSOD at all this way, for a month and a half since install. It's said there is some issue with NV's post 332.60 drivers on 8.1 and the G750JM. It's impossible to know the truth when the companies aren't talking though.

It's a ridiculous workaround but it works. There are a few extra steps to getting 7 on these machines though.

usmanm77
09-25-2014, 12:32 AM
Okay so i also decided to install the 344.11 yesterday. After the installation, i ran Call of Duty Ghosts for about 10mins, and then it happened. The BSOD appeared. Now, i've never ran any update on this machine before because i was scared of all the random issues with the display driver.
i now immediately reverted to 332.60 but my mind wasn't at rest due to the performance difference noticed in the 344.11 so i went back at it again. I ran to campus just so i could connect to free Wi-fi and updated the system using Windows Update (I installed everything i could see there) which took about 15mins to complete.
I now went back to the dorm and reinstalled the 344.11 (Mind: i selected custom install and ticked the clean install option during installation), i restarted and ran all the games that were installed on my pc and even played Crysis 3 for about an hour. No BSOD was observed and the system is absolutely fine. Well so far i guess.

All in all anyone with BSOD problems with the 344.11 should try installing the updates, maybe there's a fix in there somewhere. ill continue to use this driver until something comes up but for now all is well :).

FalconFX
09-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Me too, i updated yesterday, in terms of performance, maybe a little bit, but no problems so far :)

swaaye
09-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Let us know if after a week you are still problem free.

kobby2k6
09-28-2014, 05:58 AM
I have the newest driver(344.11) installed on my g750jm for the past two days, played BF4 for 2 hours, played Fifa for a bit as well and played tomb raider for an hour and haven't had a single issue. I haven't had a single BSOD while gaming or after gaming on this PC since I got it in June of this year. I previously had the 378 or 377 driver installed. I did a clean install of the newest driver and used the nvidia Geforce Experience to run the update.

Darnassus
09-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Just letting you guys know I'm running 344.11 on my JX and so far it's been going so much better than the 340 updates.

No crashing on Watchdogs so far, or any other games I've been playing. ( Although with my 340 I had Geforce Experience installed, so that may have been the problem before. )

Thought anyone was wondering whether to update or not.

JM guys I can't vouch for you sorry if your card poses different results. ;x

usmanm77
09-28-2014, 08:34 PM
This is the 5th day with the new drivers on my JM. Still no BSOD :)

kobby2k6
10-03-2014, 03:54 PM
4 days so far. I have been playing shadows of Mordor and dead space 3, still haven't had a single BSOD. I can definitely confirm that this driver update is stable for my g750jm

CĂ©dric
10-03-2014, 05:36 PM
I had 3 BSOD in a 1 week with the last nvidia driver. not that bad comparing with the 340.52..

FalconFX
10-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Let us know if after a week you are still problem free.

Its almost 10 days now, and im using 344.11, pretty good with no issue on JH

CĂ©dric
10-04-2014, 12:39 PM
I've just received a funny mail from asus (i've contacted them about BSOD) and according to them i have BSOD cuz i've switched the original hard drive for a SSD.

FalconFX
10-04-2014, 12:55 PM
I've just received a funny mail from asus (i've contacted them about BSOD) and according to them i have BSOD cuz i've switched the original hard drive for a SSD.

Well that interesting, no upgrades anymore then, The easily accessible parts underneath are just for marketing then :D

CĂ©dric
10-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Best part is if i want them to fix BSOD i have to send them back the laptop and i'll have to pay cuz warranty gone when i switched the origianl hard drive..

FalconFX
10-04-2014, 02:05 PM
But isnt the whole purpose of easy access to drives and RAM is to avoid voiding warranty due to upgrades ??, so if you decide to to upgrade from HDD to SSD you are screwed ?, well thats new for me :(

hmscott
10-04-2014, 05:36 PM

CĂ©dric, that is not true, ask to be escalated to the Manager. The Disk/memory are user replaceable, you haven't voided your warranty.

Asus will want you to run the out of the box OS configuration, I have heard that. If you have done your own Windows install Asus can claim that is the problem.

If you created an Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB Flash recovery drive, or saved your original HDD with the OS install on it, you can boot off of the Asus build, upgrade the Nvidia driver to the newest one, and if it fails then they will support you.

That is why you want to keep the Asus OS around in some form for support issues.

BTW, it looks like users that are updating completely to Windows 8.1 and installing all the latest Windows 8.1 drivers for all their included hardware - not just the Nvidia driver, aren't getting BSOD's with 344.11 with the latest Microsoft Updates.

Others have cured the JM BSOD problem by doing all the Windows Updates + install the latest Windows 8.1 drivers

Please give it a try and see if that solves the problem, then you don't need to RMA to Asus :)

CĂ©dric
10-04-2014, 06:02 PM
As always hmscott thx for replie.

the fact is i've reformated the original hard drive the first day i get the laptop (i wanted to use the origianl hard drive as an external device. yes i know, it was a stupid idea, trust me next time i wont do things so fast) and i make a clean windows instal on the ssd. i've even lost the windows 8.1 key.

About BSOD, i've completely updated windows and the latest Windows 8.1 drivers (yes u already gave me thoses links and i thank u again) exept this one WLAN_AtherosKiller_Win81_64_VER11461285. got an error when i try to install it.

hmscott
10-04-2014, 06:08 PM
As always hmscott thx for replie.

the fact is i've reformated the original hard drive the first day i get the laptop (i wanted to use the origianl hard drive as an external device. yes i know, it was a stupid idea, trust me next time i wont do things so fast) and i make a clean windows instal on the ssd. i've even lost the windows 8.1 key.

About BSOD, i've completely updated windows and the latest Windows 8.1 drivers (yes u already gave me thoses links and i thank u again) exept this one WLAN_AtherosKiller_Win81_64_VER11461285. got an error when i try to install it.

CĂ©dric, so my guess is you could ask Asus to reload the Asus OS install, update the Nvidia driver to the latest one, and test to see if they get BSOD's.

I don't think this is a hardware problem Asus can solve by themselves, this is a problem with Nvidia driver and Microsoft Windows 8.1.

If you can run without BSOD on 332.60, then the hardware is fine.

If you are still getting BSOD with your Windows 8.1 install updated, and others are running ok on their Asus Windows 8.1 install, then restoring your laptop to the Asus OS Build is the first step to solve the problem.

Only Asus can reinstall their OS build, unless you can get access to another JM that still has the Asus OS install and recovery partition that you can use to Create an Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive. Then you can use that flash drive to restore the Asus OS to your SSD.

If we can figure out what is missing from the Microsoft Media Windows 8.1 install vs the Asus OEM Windows 8.1 install, then you could just fix that...

BTW, looking in your Programs and Features list, what is the name/version of the Wifi driver you do have installed?

kobby2k6
10-05-2014, 04:14 AM
Best part is if i want them to fix BSOD i have to send them back the laptop and i'll have to pay cuz warranty gone when i switched the origianl hard drive..

I'm using the Samsung EVO SSD, no BSODs here. It may be something else causing it.

CĂ©dric
10-06-2014, 01:18 PM
CĂ©dric, so my guess is you could ask Asus to reload the Asus OS install, update the Nvidia driver to the latest one, and test to see if they get BSOD's.

I don't think this is a hardware problem Asus can solve by themselves, this is a problem with Nvidia driver and Microsoft Windows 8.1.

If you can run without BSOD on 332.60, then the hardware is fine.

If you are still getting BSOD with your Windows 8.1 install updated, and others are running ok on their Asus Windows 8.1 install, then restoring your laptop to the Asus OS Build is the first step to solve the problem.

Only Asus can reinstall their OS build, unless you can get access to another JM that still has the Asus OS install and recovery partition that you can use to Create an Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive. Then you can use that flash drive to restore the Asus OS to your SSD.

If we can figure out what is missing from the Microsoft Media Windows 8.1 install vs the Asus OEM Windows 8.1 install, then you could just fix that...

BTW, looking in your Programs and Features list, what is the name/version of the Wifi driver you do have installed?

Hi

Thank for advices but i think i'll just sell this laptop and buy another one, this JM is really pissing me off. Im not sure yet i've got to think about it.

Here's my Wifi driver: WiFi_Intel_Win81_64_VER17015

Christophe771
10-06-2014, 04:40 PM
reading from everything here, i'm not updating to the latest drivers then. dont have to fix what is not broken.

hmscott
10-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Hi
Thank for advices but i think i'll just sell this laptop and buy another one, this JM is really pissing me off. Im not sure yet i've got to think about it.
Here's my Wifi driver: WiFi_Intel_Win81_64_VER17015

CĂ©dric, I feel your pain. I have reinstalled OS's on laptops before and got caught up in this kind of situation - years ago now - but the pain is still there :(

Fortunately for me at the time, I had the flexibility that having recovery and driver DVD's from the vendor packed in with the laptop, so I could quickly recover and get back functionality.

That is why I am so repetitive here in the forum in suggesting everyone backup their recovery partition to a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive with Asus Backtracker before blowing away their boot drive, even if you don't know why at the time, it's always a good idea to keep the recovery media from your purchase - it's an asset not to be thrown away.

There is no performance improvement by doing a from scratch Windows install over the vendor OS Build.

The vendor OS Build works just the same, and if you don't want some of the vendor included software, take 5 minutes and uninstall it - it is way quicker than going through the exercise of doing a from scratch Windows install manually. Especially when it results in partial functionality, worse performance down the road, or updates / fixes don't work.

At some point everyone assumes they can install Windows themselves from scratch and download drivers to recreate the OS config that the vendor created specifically for the laptop they created. Very rarely do you get full functionality by doing this.

Even if you personally are successful in doing it, and I have had that happen a number of times, sharing your success often causes others to try to replicate your effort, and some don't have the expertise to handle exceptions, and get into trouble.

Initially, it might seem like the from Microsoft Media Windows install worked. But eventually something goes wrong, or you discover missing functionality, or poor performance.

Often problems aren't discovered right away, and situations like this come up - down the road USB 3.0 performance drops, or BSOD fixes that work for those with the vendor OS build don't work for from scratch Windows installs.

If you didn't do a backup of the included recovery partition, and it has been lost due to repartitioning or reformatting, you don't have any easy options left to recover back to the Vendor OS build.

You can recover from this, and be happy knowing that it is an experience you don't need to go through again :)

Even if you only want to sell the JM, you will want to RMA the JM to Asus to restore the Asus OS Build and recovery partition so everything is the same as it was out of the box, or you will be putting this situation in someone else's lap when they buy your JM.

And, when you get the JM back, and make the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive, you can update Windows, Windows drivers, and run stably with fast USB 3.0 and have no BSOD from Nvidia drivers 344.11 and after.

You might even want to keep the JM :)

hmscott
10-06-2014, 05:56 PM
reading from everything here, i'm not updating to the latest drivers then. dont have to fix what is not broken.

Christophe771, keep reading :)

The message is: Don't blow away your only OS recovery media - the recovery partition on the boot drive - before backing it up onto a boot-able flash drive, so you can restore the Asus OEM Windows Build, in case your own install doesn't work out as you hope it will.

In this case it appears there are 2 things that don't work right for many that have done a from scratch Windows install, both on the JM, and the other on new JM/JS/JZ's with from scratch Windows installs.

For those that are still running the original Asus OEM Windows build, with all Microsoft Windows 8.1 updates applied, and have installed all the latest Windows 8.1 drivers, including the Nvidia 344.11 driver, the BSOD problem on G750JM's seems to be fixed.

For those that are still running the original Asus OEM Windows build, with all Microsoft Windows 8.1 updates applied, and have installed all the latest Windows 8.1 drivers, their USB 3.0 performance has maintained full performance. But, some with a from scratch Windows installs are complaining about slow USB 3.0 performance.

ComputerTech
10-12-2014, 04:19 PM
I've been running the 344.11 driver for 2 weeks on my JM and have yet to BSOD. I previously had 337.88 and saw at least 5 blue screens in 3 weeks of use. I'd recommend the 344.11

Jaitsu
10-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Chiming in to agree with everyone else that's said it: 344.11 seems solid, at least after installing all Windows Updates (there were a few mentioning DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bluescreen fixes). Definitely recommend; massive performance boost. Hopefully it's not just a fluke and the problem is finally over. I've been running it since the day it came out, and not a single bluescreen or clocking malfunction yet.

kobby2k6
10-14-2014, 03:20 AM
2 weeks so far, not a single BSOD or problem with the 344.11 driver and never had BSODs to begin with (purchased PC in June or July, can't remember)

BenF2409
10-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Still not sure about installing it, last time I did that I got a BSOD straight away so had to go back to 332.60.

Qlix0804
10-15-2014, 09:47 PM
What does the BSOD look like? A literal blue screen with the error text? I've had one occurrence where I just get a black screen and my unit turns off. As if something pulled a killswitch. No error or anything and had to turn it back on. And that was in a game called Warcraft 3.

Running on 340.52

I had this happen to me. 344.11, also have had a bunch of OpenGL errors with Chrome since updating.

edit - not completely accurate. I just remembered, I installed 344.11 today, crashed last night (as if someone just pulled the battery out). Only change yesterday was a blizzard patch for WoW. So I dont know. Today the OpenGL errors started happening after 344.11.

Just did a few windows updates, will keep everyone posted. This is JW btw.

Jaitsu
10-16-2014, 04:15 AM
...Sigh.

So, maybe I was wrong and it's just been a fluke that I've gone this long without a BSOD. Just quit Warframe, aaand

http://i.imgur.com/XH8vWkPs.jpg (http://imgur.com/XH8vWkP)

Hello, Blue Screen, my old friend... DRIVER_POWER_STATE's failed again...

CĂ©dric
10-16-2014, 05:57 AM
...Sigh.

So, maybe I was wrong and it's just been a fluke that I've gone this long without a BSOD. Just quit Warframe, aaand

http://i.imgur.com/XH8vWkPs.jpg (http://imgur.com/XH8vWkP)

Hello, Blue Screen, my old friend... DRIVER_POWER_STATE's failed again...

Hi Jaitsu

My guess is ther's still BSOD even with the latest nvidia driver 344.11 but they are pretty rare. With olders drivers i used to BSOD about 4-5 (even more) per day and now with the 344.11 it's mostly like 1 per 2 tweeks.
I'm SURE that ther's still BSOD even for guys who said issue's gone, just read Jaitsu, first BSOD in what ...3 weeks ? a month ?

ComputerTech
10-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Make sure to keep windows up to date and I like to restart my computers immediately after when doing any driver updates.

mardy
09-27-2017, 07:32 AM
i have problem on my Asus G73sw-a1 I'm watching movie and the screen goes black but still have sounds, and i plug my external monitor (HDMi) and its works. Any body here can tell me what is the problem on my laptop? Thanks in advance