PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JS screwed Recovery.

samboy87
09-21-2014, 04:34 AM
hello everyone.

i did a backup via Asus backtrack 3.0.6 and everything went good, i booted up my usb recovery and did a clean install. but in the middle of it i got an error!:( "failed to read or write from usb'' and i lost everything! i didnt have windows or the original recovery anymore! and was booting bios in loops. well now im sitting on a non-activated windows. well cracked enterprice. and was wondering if someone could send me a backup recovery for the G750JS. i still got the backup on the USB ''corrupted one'' maybe a few missing files or something. but if i could get an backup from anyone i could compare the files and see what i'm missing or can change. and maybe do a new recovery.

the maps i got in the recovery, and size of the maps. please let me know what im missing.

files/maps-

Boot - 17.2mb
EFI - 15.4mb
en-us - 71.8kb
Recovery - 244mb
Recovery Image - 10.5gb
Sources - 285mb
bootmgr 418kb
bootmgr.efi 1.576kb

hmscott
09-21-2014, 05:38 AM
hello everyone.

i did a backup via Asus backtrack 3.0.6 and everything went good, i booted up my usb recovery and did a clean install. but in the middle of it i got an error!:( "failed to read or write from usb'' and i lost everything! i didnt have windows or the original recovery anymore! and was booting bios in loops. well now im sitting on a non-activated windows. well cracked enterprice. and was wondering if someone could send me a backup recovery for the G750JS. i still got the backup on the USB ''corrupted one'' maybe a few missing files or something. but if i could get an backup from anyone i could compare the files and see what i'm missing or can change. and maybe do a new recovery.

the maps i got in the recovery, and size of the maps. please let me know what im missing.

files/maps-

Boot - 17.2mb
EFI - 15.4mb
en-us - 71.8kb
Recovery - 244mb
Recovery Image - 10.5gb
Sources - 285mb
bootmgr 418kb
bootmgr.efi 1.576kb

samboy87, that's sucks, sorry to hear it. :(

Did you try more than 1 time to do the restore? It might have glitched. Which USB port did you have the recovery drive plugged in to? I have done it successfully with it in the left front port and the right front port.

Try it a few times before giving up.

samboy87
09-21-2014, 01:14 PM
samboy87, that's sucks, sorry to hear it. :(

Did you try more than 1 time to do the restore? It might have glitched. Which USB port did you have the recovery drive plugged in to? I have done it successfully with it in the left front port and the right front port.

Try it a few times before giving up.

hi hmscott yes i've tried it multible times and on all USB ports, with no success :(

hmscott
09-21-2014, 01:16 PM
hi hmscott yes i've tried it multible times and on all USB ports, with no success :(

samboy87, PM Darnassus - ask nicely for the steps she used to install from Microsoft Windows 8.1 media :)

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 01:21 PM
If you get a chance to find another JS somewhere or anywhere.. in a store for example. Reboot it so it's fresh, then make another BackTracker on the USB you used, but using 3.0.7 backtracker, downloaded from here.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

When creating a BackTracker on USB you should be using no programs, playing no games, or letting the unit go to sleep on accident.

Sadly I only have a JX, so I do not think I can send you a copy of mine.

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 01:22 PM
samboy87, PM Darnassus - ask nicely for the steps she used to install from Microsoft Windows 8.1 media :)

... If I handle this one, will you fix my Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? >;c

hmscott
09-21-2014, 01:27 PM
... If I handle this one, will you fix my Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? >;c

Darnassus, sure, I am posting there, check my last question :)

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Samboy how're you holding up? Still going with finding a new BackTracker or are you going to install fresh on 8.1?

By the way, what did you mean by you "lost everything" didn't you backup your hard drive?

samboy87
09-21-2014, 04:13 PM
i had a backup on F:recovery on the SSD and USB, but when i did a clean windows install everything was wiped out. i didnt get a option what drives i wanted to wipeout. i did a clean install from the USB recovery i maded. booted up USB and did an Asus Backtrack clean recovery. got the error and saw that i didnt have any drives in BIOS :confused: only my USB Recovery, that was corrupted? and i dont have an win8 licensed cd here, so i used my wifes laptop and downloaded a win8 enterprise copy, and was putting Win8 install.wim files on the recovery USB and tricked it, so i could boot up and install windows. with success i can use an cracked win8 that is activated but still miss my asus ghetto modded Win8 ,''the original one''.;)

i live in the netherlands, and its hard to find an Asus G750JS. i bought the last and the only one, and they havnt got any more orders on it. so it will be hard to find one, and make an back up :( i hope anyone with an G750JS can put up an backup here, otherwise im stranded and need to buy a new Win8 license :( that would suck offcourse.

and stupid of me offcourse i didnt recover my OEM key before Formating. :(

samboy87
09-24-2014, 02:26 AM
I have good news my ROG friends!

i cleaned my whole system! no recovery , nothing!.

i downloaded an Untouched prefect Win8.1 OEM windows!. After the installation he didnt recover my OEM key. so i was frustrated!

i tried to activate my machine with ''call for activation'' and guess what! it worked! now my operating system is original! and not only that! fresh as well :D without any bloadware or anything!. well i downloaded all my drivers from asus :P the only thing i dont like is, that i could'nt change the language to dutch! so now im sitting on an english one. but if anyone know how to change language in windows would be preciated!

P.S i score better in 3Dmarks now :confused: from ''Asus Windows'' without most bloatware i scored 7280. now with clean install i score 7600! with no overclock!

hmscott
09-24-2014, 05:45 AM
I have good news my ROG friends!

i cleaned my whole system! no recovery , nothing!.

i downloaded an Untouched prefect Win8.1 OEM windows!. After the installation he didnt recover my OEM key. so i was frustrated!

i tried to activate my machine with ''call for activation'' and guess what! it worked! now my operating system is original! and not only that! fresh as well :D without any bloadware or anything!. well i downloaded all my drivers from asus :P the only thing i dont like is, that i could'nt change the language to dutch! so now im sitting on an english one. but if anyone know how to change language in windows would be preciated!

P.S i score better in 3Dmarks now :confused: from ''Asus Windows'' without most bloatware i scored 7280. now with clean install i score 7600! with no overclock!

samboy87, the "bloatware" had nothing to do with your improved score, please don't start that rumor :)

None of the Asus software affects the GPU/CPU performance. A fresh install will often have less software installed than your last test on the system you were running on before - and that difference is small enough to be due to an Nvidia driver difference.

Glad to hear you got it all up and running :)

samboy87
09-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Hi hmscott! yeah thx man! yes i know that a clean install doesnt improve performance but i did score more than usual :P but one thing i see is that my system i slower on I/O, normally with ''Asus windows'' it booted up really fast! and now it takes a few seconds more. how come?

other question i have is . how often can i activate my windows with ''Call to activate'' ? i have the OEM windows on my USB stick, as a recovery if something does get screwed up. but if i want to do fresh installs later on in the future, can i still call to activate? i'm pretty suprised that i could activate a Clean OEM windows that i downloaded. because first when i booted up the new windows it was a build version, and he didnt recover my Key from the BIOS/Motherboard so i tried to activate it with ''call to activate'' and it worked.

hmscott
09-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Hi hmscott! yeah thx man! yes i know that a clean install doesnt improve performance but i did score more than usual :P but one thing i see is that my system i slower on I/O, normally with ''Asus windows'' it booted up really fast! and now it takes a few seconds more. how come?

other question i have is . how often can i activate my windows with ''Call to activate'' ? i have the OEM windows on my USB stick, as a recovery if something does get screwed up. but if i want to do fresh installs later on in the future, can i still call to activate? i'm pretty suprised that i could activate a Clean OEM windows that i downloaded. because first when i booted up the new windows it was a build version, and he didnt recover my Key from the BIOS/Motherboard so i tried to activate it with ''call to activate'' and it worked.

samboy87, sorry to hear that it negatively affected the IO, but if you update the INF/ Chipset driver it might help. As well as the other hardware driver updates for Windows 8.1 in general.

The whole Windows Activation scheme is iffy, and you might not be done with it. Lets hope it doesn't kick it back down the road, from reinstalling. At times I have to think Microsoft tightens up and loosens up activation depending on the phase of the moon :)

Did you use the actual key as part of the call to activate? The activation software must have dug a bit deeper than the installer to get the key out of the BIOS, because if you didn't give it another key or the one in the BIOS, it wouldn't have activated.

When you first install Windows, it goes through several cycles of analyzing what runs at boot, and reorders it on the disk for faster IO at startup. So the first few boots are going to be slower. And if you are doing Windows updates, driver updates, and some applications installations, it will also keep reordering files for best performance at boot - so it may be a while before things settle down and you get your fast boots back.

Let us know how it goes :)

samboy87
09-25-2014, 02:20 AM
hi hmscott. strange thing is that when i did an call activate, i didnt have any key or something to give them. i only had numbers 1-9 and under all thoes numbers i had like 48 numbers to give them in total.

hmscott
09-25-2014, 07:39 AM
hi hmscott. strange thing is that when i did an call activate, i didnt have any key or something to give them. i only had numbers 1-9 and under all thoes numbers i had like 48 numbers to give them in total.

samboy87, then the system pulled the key from the BIOS and within that key response it acknowledged the validity.

I have been through similar with phone responses. You may not need to re-activate on a reload again, but then again you might.

If it gives you an error due to too many activations there will be a number to call to talk to a person, I have had to do it - and even "discussed" how I was loading the same motherboard / license with new hardware - video card, SSD, memory swap, but the motherboard was the same - they let me activate - that was with Windows 7 Ultimate.

If you run into a problem, be nice to the person at the other end, and persist through the many hand-off's back and forth between departments and you should be ok.