PDA

View Full Version : XTU isn't saving overclocks (after fresh install 8.1)

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 10:08 AM
I've recently re-installed Win8.1 fresh and solid, when I overclocked my CPU the settings don't seem to stick after restart. I heard there's something that needs to be done in the BIOS?

.. I don't want to have to update to 209 if I don't need to.

hmscott
09-21-2014, 10:38 AM
I've recently re-installed Win8.1 fresh and solid, when I overclocked my CPU the settings don't seem to stick after restart. I heard there's something that needs to be done in the BIOS?

.. I don't want to have to update to 209 if I don't need to.

Darnassus, there isn't anything to set in the BIOS.

When you change the values, and Apply them, then Save them in a Profile.

That Profile will be loaded at each successful / non-crash boot.

If you crash or power off without a clean shutdown/restart, then XTU won't load the Profile at the next boot. XTU does that in case you crashed due to a setting made in XTU - it doesn't know if it was responsible for the crash, so any time you crash or power off without shutdown/restart, you need to go into XTU, select the Profile, Show Values, Apply again.

Wulff
09-21-2014, 11:13 AM
i have a question about XTU as well, how do you manually set the voltage to lets say -50mV ? i had a look but it seems i can only adjust the settings by reducing it by almost -1mV by clicking on the + and - buttons , is there a way to manually enter -50mV?

FalconFX
09-21-2014, 11:17 AM
i have a question about XTU as well, how do you manually set the voltage to lets say -50mV ? i had a look but it seems i can only adjust the settings by reducing it by almost -1mV by clicking on the + and - buttons , is there a way to manually enter -50mV?

Yeah, its easy, just click on the number its self and a drop down menu will popup where you can scroll down and up to set the desired voltage :)

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Or just move the slider bar.

Scott I also get a message about my "Watchdog" not being available. I accidentally installed a program by Intel and I wanted to get rid of it, I think Watchdog was ripped out at the same time.. how can I put it back?

hmscott
09-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Or just move the slider bar.

Scott I also get a message about my "Watchdog" not being available. I accidentally installed a program by Intel and I wanted to get rid of it, I think Watchdog was ripped out at the same time.. how can I put it back?

Darnassus, it's probably shared between the app you uninstalled and XTU? I have it, and it has the same install date as XTU. You probably would do best to uninstall XTU and reinstall it to get the right version XTU needs installed - otherwise google for a download for just the Watchdog app - if it is available separately without needing a developer/installer license from Intel.

I am running 5.1.0.23, and that is the newest that shows up in a search:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=xtu

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 11:34 AM
I can't find it. It was Intel SSD Toolbox, and when deleting it, it wouldn't go, so I had to tear it out. (Was using it to check trim)

I've got something called Intel Management Engine Components, should I just delete everything Intel and try another Driver Search?

hmscott
09-21-2014, 11:36 AM
I can't find it. It was Intel SSD Toolbox, and when deleting it, it wouldn't go, so I had to tear it out. (Was using it to check trim)
I've got something called Intel Management Engine Components, should I just delete everything Intel and try another Driver Search?

No, you need Intel Management Engine Components :)

Just uninstall Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU, and reinstall the latest version. That will reinstall WDT Watchdog :)

Just as an aside, this may be why you were having problems with your last Windows install - don't randomly uninstall things - you need pretty much every thing that is there on a base Windows Install :)

Google / Read +10x - Uninstall 1x :)

Wulff
09-21-2014, 11:37 AM
yeah i know about those up or down buttons but i see people having this set at -50mV but the XTU program alolows me only to in- or decrease by 0,9765625 mV so thats why i asked if there is a manual way to set it to 50mV

hmscott
09-21-2014, 11:38 AM
yeah i know about those up or down buttons but i see people having this set at -50mV but the XTU program alolows me only to in- or decrease by 0,9765625 mV so thats why i asked if there is a manual way to set it to 50mV

Wulff, you can type into the value field manually as well.

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Did an 'Apply' on XTU, rebooted, still didn't save.. annoying. I'll re-install XTU. Maybe I do have wrong version.

Here's the picture of the WatchDog error: http://i.imgur.com/mK9FyKN.png

Edit: Ahh sh!t. http://i.imgur.com/sIgVkEd.png

Wulff
09-21-2014, 11:42 AM
ok ok, will try that as well when back home again later, but when i just tried it and wanted to type -0,5 it wouldnt let me hehe and went to +5 i think lol quite a difference

hmscott
09-21-2014, 11:45 AM
ok ok, will try that as well when back home again later, but when i just tried it and wanted to type -0,5 it wouldnt let me hehe and went to +5 i think lol quite a difference

Wulff, try using a period '.' instead of a comma ',' :)

FalconFX
09-21-2014, 11:46 AM

Type in -0.5mV, well that's overkill man, the least is -1mv i guess :D

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Dammit Wulff make your own thread. >:c

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Still can't get XTU to save settings.. :'c

hmscott
09-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Still can't get XTU to save settings.. :'c

Darnassus, did you install XTU with right click As Administrator?

What error do you get when you try to Save a Profile - you should get a dialog that asks the name for the Profile - check the taskbar to see if there is a dialog hidden under the XTU window, like a UAC request to approve.

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 01:44 PM
I turned off UAC, hate the damn thing.

Seems I needed to install it as Admin, it's all here now.

Even when freshly installed it and opened it, it was already overclocked which is really weird.

I deleted the overclock and re-overclocked it just in case.

http://i.imgur.com/Or9kZzJ.png

Here it all is. Watchdog is there now, and I didn't get the error http://i.imgur.com/mK9FyKN.png

All is good now. Thanks.

Stupid how something so small as Run as Admin screwed that up.

hmscott
09-21-2014, 01:47 PM
I turned off UAC, hate the damn thing.

Seems I needed to install it as Admin, it's all here now.

Even when freshly installed it and opened it, it was already overclocked which is really weird.

I deleted the overclock and re-overclocked it just in case.

http://i.imgur.com/Or9kZzJ.png

Here it all is. Watchdog is there now, and I didn't get the error http://i.imgur.com/mK9FyKN.png

All is good now. Thanks.

Stupid how something so small as Run as Admin screwed that up.

Darnassus, XTU, even though it wasn't installed as Admin, saved the profile, it just didn't set it at boot. So when you reinstalled as Admin, the profile was set and ready to load and set :)

Yes, it's almost like XTU should say something during install if it notices it wasn't installed as Admin...