PDA

View Full Version : G750 JM Warm on right side of Keyboard

Christophe771
09-21-2014, 02:00 PM
Greetings fellow mateys.

I have Core temp installed. It shows core temperatures on average 50. All 4 cores.

But the right side of my keyboard is now warm. Actually quite noticeably warm. So, I am wondering if this is anything normal ?

The left side is still cool. I am not going to open it.
Everything is fast and smooth. I hardly have any lags. But the warmth on the right side of the keyboard is bothering me a bit. Actually now, 3 quarters of my laptop is warm. But the core temperatures isstill 50 or below. The keyboard keys towards the right and the metallic plate itself is warm.

Is there any particular setting i missed out or is hogging ? Any advice ? Is this completely normal ?
I assumed rog g750 would be incessantly cool machines. What is under the cursors on the keyboard ? Most heat is from that area. No I am not playing games now.

Windows 8.1 installed on SSD, secondary drive is 1tb 7200rpm

I only got this laptop a week ago. Please advise, thanks.

hmscott
09-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Greetings fellow mateys.

I have Core temp installed. It shows core temperatures on average 50. All 4 cores.

But the right side of my keyboard is now warm. Actually quite noticeably warm. So, I am wondering if this is anything normal ?

The left side is still cool. I am not going to open it.
Everything is fast and smooth. I hardly have any lags. But the warmth on the right side of the keyboard is bothering me a bit. Actually now, 3 quarters of my laptop is warm. But the core temperatures isstill 50 or below. The keyboard keys towards the right and the metallic plate itself is warm.

Is there any particular setting i missed out or is hogging ? Any advice ? Is this completely normal ?
I assumed rog g750 would be incessantly cool machines. What is under the cursors on the keyboard ? Most heat is from that area. No I am not playing games now.

Windows 8.1 installed on SSD, secondary drive is 1tb 7200rpm

I only got this laptop a week ago. Please advise, thanks.

Christophe771, is it warm from the keyboard to the right corner? That is where the disk drive is mounted. Unfortunately there isn't a good draw for air in that corner. The best thing to do, what I did, was to remove that 2nd bay drive and put it in a USB 3.0 external enclosure:

http://www.siig.com/it-products/controllers-storage/hard-drive-storage/drive-enclosures/usb-3-0-to-ide-sata-6gb-s-2-5-enclosure.html

And, I replaced it with an SSD, which still runs pretty warm for an SSD, but within tolerances, and a lot cooler than an HDD would run:

The cooling for the RAID0 SSD's ain't great either, but they are tough :)

Notice how cool the disk is outside the laptop :)

Removing the HDD's from a laptop are the first thing I do, removes a lot of heat from the laptop cooling system.

Please check your 1TB HDD temp with Crystaldiskinfo, and let us know what it is.
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Darnassus
09-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Yeah it's just the mechanical drive (HDD) being warm. To be honest, I wish that drive was under the left side of the unit, where you put your left hand. It would make the steel brush finish much more tolerable during the winter. ;d

For me, the surface on the left is freezing cold. But on the right, it's cool. Not cold, just a little below room temp. ;d

In fact, practically half the laptop is in reverse in my opinion. I wish the disc tray was on the right..

Christophe771
09-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Dear hmscott and Darnassus,

Much thanks for your prompt and considerate reply.
Thx, I have installed that Cystaldisk.
Apparently, my disk temperatures are 33 for the HDD and 37celcius for the SSD. Weird. There is still some heat dissipating to the keyboard buttons now although laptop was turned on 10 minutes ago.

Left side of the keyboard is cool as usual. Right side is warm a little. Core temp is showing the quad cores in the 40s.
I might exchange the 1tb with a 5400rpm 500gb from my previous laptop.
I decided to switch to "Balance" power saving now and see how it goes. Previously on Power4Gear High performance.

The warmth is a little irritating and bothersome to me. I thought it has very efficient heat channeling. On software everything is fine as it should be. Could it be the laptop requires thermal paste ?

hmscott
09-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Dear hmscott and Darnassus,

Much thanks for your prompt and considerate reply.
Thx, I have installed that Cystaldisk.
Apparently, my disk temperatures are 33 for the HDD and 37celcius for the SSD. Weird. There is still some heat dissipating to the keyboard buttons now although laptop was turned on 10 minutes ago.

Left side of the keyboard is cool as usual. Right side is warm a little. Core temp is showing the quad cores in the 40s.
I might exchange the 1tb with a 5400rpm 500gb from my previous laptop.
I decided to switch to "Balance" power saving now and see how it goes. Previously on Power4Gear High performance.

The warmth is a little irritating and bothersome to me. I thought it has very efficient heat channeling. On software everything is fine as it should be. Could it be the laptop requires thermal paste ?

Christophe771, moving to Balanced should reduce CPU temp's at idle, so the internal heat will dissipate instead of continue to build.

I have found that Power4Gear doesn't do anything the standard Windows Power Plans can do, Balanced is what I use most, then High Performance for benchmarks and some gaming - I don't run on battery much - but Power Saving is there for that. Power4Gear would swap in it's own Power Plan after I manually set Windows Balanced or High Performance - like when unplugging the laptop to move it and plug it back in - P4G would have gone and changed my manual settings. It doesn't hurt to uninstall it :)

FYI - I also uninstall Splendid, but use the ICC profile in the package - used without installing Splendid. I also uninstall Asus Gaming Mouse, Asus LiveUpdate, Asus Vibe, and Asus DVD.

Any HDD internal will contribute heat to the laptop, and there isn't a good air draw over the hdd to cool it - it cools by conduction to the chassis - as you have found :)

Have fun!

Christophe771
10-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks for your reply hmscott,

Those are good tips, I will uninstall those as well.
You are right, the heat appears when I elevated the laptop to allow air to flow under it which actually served the opposite, it didn't allow heat to be conducted away and to the table strangely.
Conventional laptops work better when the persistence of air flowing under it is not blocked but not the case here. So this is a good tip, get a metallic table that is a good conductor of heat to dissipate heat away from your laptop. The heat is simply for comfort, not really a maintenance issue as on crsytaldiskinfo and coretemp, it showed my cores, gpu and harddisk temperatures to be low. Safely below the 50 degree celcius mark.

And as a matter of fact, the ssd drive is commonly warmer than the hdd. So, it is true, g750 remains a cool laptop. Only a little warm on your right keyboard if where you live is warm and without air conditioner in your room, get a table with good thermal conductivity. It just allows heat from the disks to flow downwards to the table instead of upwards to where your keyboard is.

i have used a fan blowing the small vents below the laptop with hardly any results, the heat from the disks still moved upwards, that is partly cuz the model was plastic but with very powerful fans, it's better to get a metallic plate to be placed under your laptop.

Try it for yourself to see, compare by elevating your laptop from the back with bottle caps and another with a metallic plate or whatever surface that conducts heat well. I would change my router so i can use the laptop in my room, which has air conditioning. Now I have to move my desk...

hmscott
10-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your reply hmscott,

Those are good tips, I will uninstall those as well.
You are right, the heat appears when I elevated the laptop to allow air to flow under it which actually served the opposite, it didn't allow heat to be conducted away and to the table strangely.
Conventional laptops work better when the persistence of air flowing under it is not blocked but not the case here. So this is a good tip, get a metallic table that is a good conductor of heat to dissipate heat away from your laptop. The heat is simply for comfort, not really a maintenance issue as on crsytaldiskinfo and coretemp, it showed my cores, gpu and harddisk temperatures to be low. Safely below the 50 degree celcius mark.

And as a matter of fact, the ssd drive is commonly warmer than the hdd. So, it is true, g750 remains a cool laptop. Only a little warm on your right keyboard if where you live is warm and without air conditioner in your room, get a table with good thermal conductivity. It just allows heat from the disks to flow downwards to the table instead of upwards to where your keyboard is.

i have used a fan blowing the small vents below the laptop with hardly any results, the heat from the disks still moved upwards, that is partly cuz the model was plastic but with very powerful fans, it's better to get a metallic plate to be placed under your laptop.

Try it for yourself to see, compare by elevating your laptop from the back with bottle caps and another with a metallic plate or whatever surface that conducts heat well. I would change my router so i can use the laptop in my room, which has air conditioning. Now I have to move my desk...

Christophe771, few of us have metal desks to absorb the heat and dissipate it. Most desks reflect the heat back, and worse, hold the heat in the area under the laptop, raising temps over time.

The vents under the laptop are where the laptop cooling system draws air. They are large enough to allow free flow of air, so forcing more air in won't make the fans run faster and move more air - the fans are the limiting factor, not the vents or the airflow through them.

If you do block the bottom vents, like if you put the G750 on a bed or couch that comes up and around the chassis - cutting off free air flow - the temperatures will rise quickly and can be a problem for models that run near the thermal throttling threshold - the CPU /GPU will throttle performance, and even shutdown or crash.

You want to keep the vents open - you don't want to remove the feet to get the chassis closer to the metal for better conduction :)

Unfortunately, the G750 doesn't have vent holes for air flow around the disk bay's I am not sure if the air draw over them is much at all. That is why I recommend removing spinning media HDD's from the G750 Bay's and install cool running SSD's - check reviews to find the coolest running - besides the fastest running. If you want to keep your hand rest cool :)

If you have a metal desk, you could face the fan at the metal under the laptop, to help dissipate heat quicker - not sure if it will help, but if you have the interest it might be worth a try :)