PDA

View Full Version : please help... mulitple threads, no real answer.

beelvanbuuren
10-24-2011, 05:56 AM
i have an asus g74 with all current drivers, everything's working fine except my microphone is not being recognized!, i know its working cause he playback show sound but this thing does not wanna work!, pleas help. =( its a new laptop all it says is no recording device found.

dstrakele
10-24-2011, 06:02 AM
What are you attempting to do to generate that error? Are you trying to configure Skype? Use Sound Recorder? Configure it in Realtek Audio Manager?

beelvanbuuren
10-24-2011, 06:10 AM
i tried to use sound recorder and i get the recording device not found, i try skype same issue, then on facebook video it says no audio being recorded, i tried updating my driver to the new r266 and all my audio stopped working so i had to revert back to the current driver. funny thing is the playback is proof the the mic is working.

dstrakele
10-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Do you get that error when you attempt to configure the mic in the Microphone tab of Realtek Audio Manager?

beelvanbuuren
10-24-2011, 06:19 AM
no none at all

dstrakele
10-24-2011, 06:33 AM
What version driver is displayed in the Details tab of Realtek High Definition Audio Properties in Device Manager?

beelvanbuuren
10-24-2011, 06:35 AM

dstrakele
10-24-2011, 06:49 AM
If you go to Control Panel - Manage Audio Devices - Recording tab, is there a Microphone displayed? If so, can you select Properties?

If you right-click on Microphone, is "Disabled" checked?

beelvanbuuren
10-24-2011, 06:54 AM
there is a microphone tab, and yes the usual settings like volume/playback and sound isolation n stuff. my mind is full of phuck rite now, this should be working.

dstrakele
10-24-2011, 06:58 AM
I was refering specifically to the "Recording" tab in Control Panel - Manage Audio Devices. Not the Microphone tab in Realtek Audio Manager. Now in the Recording tab, is there a Microphine displayed? If so, right-click on it. Is "Disabled" checked in the popup menu?

beelvanbuuren
10-24-2011, 07:02 AM
i dont see a recording tab = /

dstrakele
10-24-2011, 07:13 AM
What happens if you go into Device Manager and scan for hardware? Does that allow the microphone to be found?

beelvanbuuren
10-24-2011, 07:15 AM
a scan shows the device is not found.

dstrakele
10-24-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm hittin' the sack, beelvnbuuren! Hang in there! Maybe some other good folks will weigh in with their suggestions. I'd recommend googling the error in the meantime. That's what I'll do tomorrow if you still need a resolution.

beelvanbuuren
10-24-2011, 07:27 AM
thanks for the help, have a good one.

chrsplmr
10-24-2011, 11:58 AM
dstrakele+
Best of Luck beelvanbuuren...........

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 12:43 PM
To be clear, you go into Control Panel and click on Sound and you have no "Recording" tab?

beelvanbuuren
10-24-2011, 08:34 PM
dstrakele+
Best of Luck beelvanbuuren...........

thx brah

beelvanbuuren
10-24-2011, 08:34 PM
To be clear, you go into Control Panel and click on Sound and you have no "Recording" tab?

to be 100% clear i do not have a record tab on the realtek audio settings, but in sound i do have a record tab in control panel with a mic showing, i hope that clears up any confusion i may have caused.

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Do you see Realtek High Definition Audio in the recording tab?

Do you see the green bargraph fluctuate when you make a sound?

beelvanbuuren
10-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Do you see Realtek High Definition Audio in the recording tab?

Do you see the green bargraph fluctuate when you make a sound?

realtek audio shows a mic tab
no none at all, but when playback is turned on it is clear that the mic works as it echos in the speakers

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Uninstall your realtek hd audio driver package. Then install this one - ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Audio/Realtek/Audio_Realtek_ALC269_Win7_64_Z6016392.zip

beelvanbuuren
10-25-2011, 12:42 AM
downloading file rite now lets see what happens *fingers crossed*

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 12:52 AM
Well if this doesn't work I think you should rma that notebook.

dstrakele
10-25-2011, 01:00 AM
downloading file rite now lets see what happens *fingers crossed*

I strongly recommend you uninstall your current Realtek HD Audio driver - REBOOT - confirm the driver file(s) are removed from your system - install the new Realtek HD Audio driver. It may also be helpful to disable any Antivirus scanning for the installation.

Since you reported you have no "Recording" tab in Control Panel - Manage Audio Devices, it makes sense that Sound Recorder reports "No Recording Device Found". However, since Playback does pick up sound from the microphone, it appears to be a software issue. I'm hoping the clean Audio driver installation will set your system straight and the "Recording" tab will then be present and configurable in the Sound dialog.

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 01:12 AM
Since you reported you have no "Recording" tab in Control Panel - Manage Audio Devices, it makes sense that Sound Recorder reports "No Recording Device Found". However, since Playback does pick up sound from the microphone, it appears to be a software issue. I'm hoping the clean Audio driver installation will set your system straight and the "Recording" tab will then be present and configurable in the Manage Audio Devices dialog.

Exactly! That was my reasoning. ;)

dstrakele
10-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Y'know, now that I reread his previous posts, it sounds like he DOES have a Recording tab in the Sound Dialog. He further states there is a microphone present in that tab. I wanted him to right-click on that microphone and confirm "Disabled" is NOT checked in the popup menu.

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 01:19 AM
He said he had a rec tab in Sound but no microphone. So I figure either no driver or no mic for real. Lol

Also, I forgot to tell him to "show disabled devices"

beelvanbuuren
10-25-2011, 03:14 AM
unfortunately the software did not work and completely shut off all sound, so i had to revert back to the original driver. seems like im running out of options to fix this stupid problem.

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Go into Control Panel >> Sound >> Recording and right click on one of the items. Click on Show Disabled Items.

What do you see?

beelvanbuuren
10-25-2011, 03:31 AM
i see my microphone, stereo mix

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 03:33 AM
Right click on everything and be sure it's enabled.

beelvanbuuren
10-25-2011, 03:36 AM
my mic is enabled, except the set default tab on the bottom is cleared out, and the stereo mix will not turn on at all.

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 03:40 AM
See if youcan download this and install it - http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/infinst_auto.exe

That's the Intel Chooser drivers.

beelvanbuuren
10-25-2011, 03:42 AM
hmm link seems to not work for me, got another source?

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 03:43 AM
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Instal lation+Utility

When you install it use the -overall parameter

beelvanbuuren
10-25-2011, 03:46 AM
am i downloading the INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets?

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 03:47 AM
yes

beelvanbuuren
10-25-2011, 03:50 AM
chip set was installed. don't see any changes.

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 03:57 AM
i would tell you to install Realtek hd again, but that screws you up.

You're rebooting after all these installs and uninstalls, right?

Anyway,I'm going to sleep. Goodnight.

dstrakele
10-25-2011, 03:58 AM
On my G74SX-A1, in the Recording tab of the Sound dialog, the Stereo Mix is disabled, the Microphone is enabled (like yours), Set Default is greyed out because the built-in mic IS the default (it displays a white checkmark in a green circle), and when I speak, the mic level is displayed in green bars on the right. Do you see any activity there when you speak? If not, go into the Realtek HD Audio Monitor, select the Microphone tab, and slide the recording volume all the way to the right. Click on the Microphone Boost button and confirm the slider is at the midpoint (+12.0 dB).

Can you now use Sound Recorder to record your voice?

beelvanbuuren
10-25-2011, 03:58 AM
nite bro, im gonna be contacting asus again to see if they have any insight, it sucks when u pay 1400 for a laptop and the mic doesn't work

beelvanbuuren
10-25-2011, 04:01 AM
On my G74SX-A1, the Stereo Mix is disabled, the Microphone is enabled (like yours) and when I speak, the mic level is displayed in green bars on the right. Do you see any activity there when you speak? If not, go into the Realtek HD Audio Monitor, select the Microphone tab, and slide the recording volume all the way to the right. Click on the Microphone Boost button and confirm the slider is at the midpoint (+12.0 dB).

Can you now use Sound Recorder to record your voice?

no activity, i tried maxing out volume and DB and still nothing. tried do doing the sound recorder and the same no recording device is shown.

dstrakele
10-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Don't forget to read my previous post......

EDIT: OK, our posts crossed. I'm starting to believe there may be a hardware problem with your built-in mic. Just tell me if it does display as the Default recording device.

Here is a thread where the webcam would not function: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4723-Webcam-problem&highlight=camera It was similar in behavior to your case and turned out to be a hardware problem.

beelvanbuuren
10-25-2011, 04:08 AM
yes mic is set as default device. if it was a hardware issue wouldn't i not get playback from the speakers?

dstrakele
10-25-2011, 04:15 AM
I'm thinking that Recording and Playback may be handled separately by the hardware. Not certain, mind you, but I'm starting to suspect it after all the troubleshooting. You did uninstsll yout current audio driver - REBOOT (I cannot overemphasize this) - check for audio driver files, then reinstall the audio driver, correct?

If that is the case, I would attempt a System Restore to an earlier time if the mic EVER worked to record anything. If not, the last attempt to avoid an RMA would be to do a System Recovery from the ASUS Hidden Partition, or better yet, a clean install of Windows 7, with installing the necessary drivers.

Of course, the best way to handle a problem like this on a NEW system, is to go back to the retailer, explain nicely that the mic doesn't work, tell him what was done to troubleshoot the issue and ask if he can exchange your faulty system for a new one that works properly.

beelvanbuuren
10-25-2011, 04:19 AM
yeah i did everything in the order you told me. I bought my laptop 4-5 months ago with no warranty package, do u think asus would cover a hardware problem such as the mic if needed?, i would call rite now but time on my watch and cannot make the call till tomorrow.

as far as i know, the mic has never worked, also a system restore would suck, i don't think i truly ever made a backup disk.

dstrakele
10-25-2011, 04:42 AM
If the ASUS hidden partition exists you should see it in Disk Management. If it is there, you hit F9 at the ASUS splash screen on Startup to access ASUS System Restore. It should return it to factory condition, but I've seen posts where folks have problems with this. You could always be lucky, right? ;>{)>

There is also an ISO image of Windows 7 Home Premium in http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference if your Asus System Restore from the hidden partition fails.
You burn the image to a DVD and use the number on the tag on the bottom of your system to activate the installation.

I googled "recording device not found" and came across several hits. The resolution was either "reinstall the audio driver" or "enable the microphone in the Recording tab of the Sound dialog". Seems to me we've been there, done that....

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 10:45 AM
What I don't understand is why installing a new Realtek package kills his sound. That makes it seem like software, somehow. :confused:

dstrakele
10-25-2011, 08:10 PM
What I don't understand is why installing a new Realtek package kills his sound. That makes it seem like software, somehow. :confused:

I can see how a failed audio driver installation would cause loss of all sound. But when he does get an audio driver installed (and from attempting a clean install), the microphone exists and is enabled in the Recording tab of the Sound Dialog, yet no sound can be recorded from it by any application and the error "No recording device found" is reported.

The fact that sound from the microphone can be heard in Playback makes it appear to NOT be a hardware failure. Hopefully, a clean Windows 7 install will resolve his issue, or he can choose to use a USB microphone as an alternative. The built-in mic does not have the best performance, even when it is working....