PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-BBK7 Sceen Color Question

SippyCupXIII
10-24-2011, 06:01 AM
Hello All,

I just made an account here after recently buying a G74SX-BBK7 from the Best Buy that I work at. Overall I have been very happy with this computers performance. I can play all my games with no problems and great performance. Took me a while to get everything setup how I wanted since I have a lot of programs I use and I keep my computer very organized but it wasn't too bad. I was debating on getting this one, the new G74SX-BBK8 or the G74SX-A1 off the website but I didn't think the $205 (BBK8) or the $655 (A1) price difference was worth it but I could be wrong so maybe you guys can comment on what you would have done. I was limited to getting a laptop from Best Buy though since I was trading in my HP I just bought in May (shouldn't have) which I was getting over $400 in giftcards and I needed the 18 months no interest to pay the difference so keep in that in mind when commenting. This is also not my main gaming computer as I have a desktop that I will be using while at home. I got this so take over to friends houses and game without the hassle of tearing down my oversized computer and monitor as well as for my friends to come game at my house as well.

However, I have a question about the screen color of the monitor. I know the BBK7 has a lower end resolution (1600x900) vs the A1 (1920x1080) but that isn't the concern that have even though I am sure that it will play a part in my question since it is probably a lower end display in general. What I am curious about is if there is a way to change the color settings of the monitor for Full Screen Applications like Games, etc. I am using the Asus Splinded Utility to adjust the screen while in Windows but the settings do not carry over to Full Screen Applications. This screen has a really bad blue overtone which makes everything have a extreme cool color tone. I am happy with how the screen looks in Windows after using the Asus Ultility even though it isn't perfect (still has a slight blue overtone) but I would be happy with these color settings for games. I have done a lot of searching and even tried to set the color options in the Nvidia Control Panel but they also don't stay when opening a game. So I am really at a loss.

So I came here hoping that you guys might have some info/suggestions for me to get this fixed. Also as I mentioned above let me know your opinions on my decision to get the BBK7 over the BBK8 and A1 models. Thanks for your time guys!

SippyCupXIII

dstrakele
10-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Have you tried Windows "Display Color Calibration"?

BrodyBoy
10-24-2011, 06:32 AM
What I am curious about is if there is a way to change the color settings of the monitor for Full Screen Applications like Games, etc. I am using the Asus Splinded Utility to adjust the screen while in Windows but the settings do not carry over to Full Screen Applications. This screen has a really bad blue overtone which makes everything have a extreme cool color tone.
In the Nvidia Control Panel, do you have the "Other applications control color settings" option checked?

SippyCupXIII
10-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the fast replies guys.

dstrakele: No I have not, I have never used it before but I will try that out and let you know.

BrodyBoy: Yes, I have checked that setting and it doesn't help. It doesn't work on my desktop either though. I am using the 285.38 beta driver on both machines if you need to know that.

I will post back when I have tried the Windows Color option. Let know what else you guys think, thanks again!

BrodyBoy
10-24-2011, 06:49 AM
Well, that setting is an override, right? You're telling the video driver to let applications control the color settings rather than use your settings.

That's why I asked....it seems to me that, if you want your settings to be maintained when using your programs, you need to UNCHECK that box. (There are actually several settings of this nature....Nvidia settings vs. application/video player settings....you might want to check on how you've configured those.)

dstrakele
10-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Good job, BrodyBoy!

SippyCupXIII
10-24-2011, 07:23 AM
BrodyBoy: Sorry, I mis-read your statement, I did have it set to use Nvidia Settings when I was using that option and I still received the same results that I mentioned adove. It doesn't stay when opening a Full Screen Application.

dstrakele: I have tried to use the Windows Color Management option and while I am able to get the color to almost the right settings when I still open a Full Screen Application the settings don't stay. I might not be selecting some settings correct though after calibrating. The other thing I noticed is that if I have the Windows Color Management window open when I launch a game I get a message that says "The Device pages has been refreshed due to a hardware change." I am not sure if this means anything or not but can this possibly stand for that some other color profile is being loaded when I open up Applications?

JRd1st
10-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Go through this tutorial (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5823-display-color-calibration.html) when you do the Windows Color Management and I think your answer is after the end of the tutorial in the forum posts.

Good Luck!

SippyCupXIII
10-25-2011, 04:25 AM
JRd1st: I went though that tutoral exactly but it still didn't fix the issue. I am able to get the color how I want it with the Windows Color Management but no matter what I do it won't stay when opening a Full Screen Application. As soon as I close the application Windows is set the calibrated settings automatically. I read about the problems with the third party software causing this to mess up but I removed the Asus Splinded Utility and closed any Asus processes I saw in the task manager but that still didn't help. So does anyone else have any other suggestions for me? Maybe someone from Asus on the forums give me a idea. Thanks for the help guys!

SippyCupXIII
10-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Just wanted to stop back in to see if anyone else has any ideas on fixing this issue. I have tried a couple of small things here and there but haven't had any luck. Thanks guys!