PDA

View Full Version : G73Jh GSOD Vbios Update

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Brandan Tyler Lasley
02-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Yes, update your Realtek audio and HDMI drivers from the stock ones. In fact, on my Driver and Application Reference page, you'll find a list of the current drivers. I'd do the audio ones already mentioned, plus the Atheros Wifi and LAN. Also, I would update the vBIOS as well.

Thanks Chastity it seemed to have worked well I uninstalled every driver and reinstalled them. Also for some reason the quality of the picture improved along with speed.

Chastity@ASUS
02-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Glad things are finally squared away on that rig of yours. :)

GrooveyGregory
02-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Hey Guys also got the G73Jh Notebook and soon realized the Gsod problem but then simply switched back to old drivers and fixed it again (even though the whole process f***d up my catalyst control center). Currently playing Test Drive Unlimited 2 and realized i probably had 2 update some drivers to solve some lag issues. Would it be safe for me to the Vbios Update ?? And does somebody know what i could use as usb-start up device thingy cause i dont have any usb-stick around or could i just burn the files to CD and load it via DVD reader. Sry for my bad english it's not my first language ^^

Chastity@ASUS
02-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm surprised you donot have a USB flash drive. Stores give them away these days as promos. :) They're also dirt cheap for a 2G or 4G device.

The GSOD issue happens when you use the stock vBIOS with any Catalyst after 10.1. If you ever want to update your drivers, you will need to flash the vBIOS with the current release.

The utility needs to run from DOS, which is why you need a bootable device. I haven't had success with using a bootable CD. You can also use a USB HDD as long as it's formatted for FAT32 and boots to DOS. (The utility pack uses Win95 DOS)

Brandan Tyler Lasley
02-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Apparently Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 was causing a crash with the ATI Drivers.

I get a big White or Black screen then it says "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered, Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered". if it doesnt do that it GSOD's or BSOD's.

Chastity@ASUS
02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
stitch8 was kind enough to notify us that Germany's Asus site has an updated ATK package posted. Now whether or not this is part of the KB/TP package I don't know yet, but you are of course welcome to try it. Link is on my Download page.

J4y89
02-21-2011, 07:52 PM
I want to flash my vBIOS.
There are 2 files in the first post. Which file should I download?

Chastity@ASUS
02-21-2011, 11:05 PM
The 1st file in the original post is the original beta vBIOS. The second one is a modded one by me to enable Overdrive in CCC. On my Driver & Application Page sticky, I have a 3rd which is my current revision that has more battery friendly settings and Overdrive.

mkepple
02-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Flashed my vbios, and now I can't install any video drivers.

Steps:

1. updated to bios 213
2. updated to Chastity vbios v93_od
3. uninstalled all ati (control panel)
4. boot to safe mode, and run driver sweeper
5. boot to windows, and run driver disk. Install ATI drivers : FAIL

I can't install orig driver, or any of the ATI versions from AMD.

Did I do something wrong, or am i missing a step somewhere? Can i find the original vbios somewhere. I cannot locate it on the ASUS web site.

Thanks

Chastity@ASUS
02-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Do NOT install the drivers from the Driver Disc. The stock drivers do not work well with the updated vBIOS. Please download the ones from AMD or from my Driver and Application Page sticky.

At this point, grab a copy of ATI Crap Cleaner from my page, and run that from Safe Mode. Then install 11.01a Hotfix I have on that page. It's a complete set in one, and sometimes installs better than the WHQL package.

Another trick that works is to do a custom install, and install the DRIVERS ONLY. Then reboot, and install the CCC separately.

Brandan Tyler Lasley
02-23-2011, 12:38 AM
I thought i found the issue and resolved it but it appears not, it still randomly crashing with a blue screen of death and after it auto reboots the bios get stuck with the asus bios logo and never goes away until you forcefully shut it off. Then it reboots into windows and after 30 seconds it freezes and makes a ERRRRRR sounds like aloud transformer on a powerline.

Edit: The sound only occures when there is playback from the speakers. It did it also when I tried to upload this video that's why it took awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b6rgAvYad0

As you see the laptop is unresponsive to anything Ive gotten 5 of these in the past 30mins and the only way to escape them is in Safe Mode.

The time was 5:20 PM on the unfrozen clock.

The BSOD says something like: KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR i hope to catch it later. Windows restarts even with Automatically restart on error turned off and says something about not being able to access the hard drive and then the asus bios logo comes up and stays there.

mkepple
02-23-2011, 02:17 AM
Do NOT install the drivers from the Driver Disc. The stock drivers do not work well with the updated vBIOS. Please download the ones from AMD or from my Driver and Application Page sticky.

At this point, grab a copy of ATI Crap Cleaner from my page, and run that from Safe Mode. Then install 11.01a Hotfix I have on that page. It's a complete set in one, and sometimes installs better than the WHQL package.

Another trick that works is to do a custom install, and install the DRIVERS ONLY. Then reboot, and install the CCC separately.

I did just as you instructed. Even with your 11.1a drivers I do not have the option to install anything. See attachment. I have tried several versions of ATI drivers from the AMD website and now yours. None of them are able to detect my graphics card it seems.

All is not a total disaster though; I am able to force the driver install through windows device manager. Any attempt to install through ATI setup results in the following options. It seems that I'm stuck without CCC

Luis A Gonzalez
02-23-2011, 03:42 AM
OK so i have done everything installed the 213 bios updated the vbios and then i tried to run auto cad revit and bang blue screen it says atikmpag.sys error i dunno if is the same error you guys are trying to fix in this treat...i have done everything the temps look good 56 C idle with i think is good hehe...well sorry for my bad english. no pach for that hehe...hope you guys can help me.

i forgot im using the 11.2 version of ccc

Chastity@ASUS
02-23-2011, 08:10 PM
I did just as you instructed. Even with your 11.1a drivers I do not have the option to install anything. See attachment. I have tried several versions of ATI drivers from the AMD website and now yours. None of them are able to detect my graphics card it seems.

All is not a total disaster though; I am able to force the driver install through windows device manager. Any attempt to install through ATI setup results in the following options. It seems that I'm stuck without CCC

I would suggest restarting with a fresh OS install. That's just weird, assuming you have a JH ;) If you have a JW, it's normal. :)

Seth
02-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi guys,
First of all, a big thanks for your job Chastity.

I would like to know if the Bios 213 include the modification you've done ?
And, if it's not the case, is it possible to install Bios 213 using WinFlash ?
And, if it's possible to install your mod v93 using winflash ?

last question, is the last and current version of the ATI Catalyst drivers (11.2) still causing troubles without your v93 mod ?

thanks for your answer,

Seth.

Alex Lohn
02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Got everything working, did a full reformat last night I've just got a quick question. In HWinfo it says GPU fan speed is sitting at a steady 30%, and in Furmark it says 0%. Is there even a fan on the gpu heatsink? And if so is there anyway to crank it?

Also Seth, I'm running 11.2 Ccc right now, haven't had enough time to play anything but it did a half hour Furmark test maxed with no issues.

metro2000
02-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi Chastity,

thank you for the OD vbios update. I tried the latest fix_OD2 and my screen seems to flicker when I do just about anything. such are scrolling down a webpage !! I'm using the latest mobile 11.2 drivers from the ATI site on a Win 7 64 bit.

am I doing something wrong?

thanks.

-M

I made an updated vBIOS for the JH with some battery saving settings. On battery savings, I am getting about 3 hours browsing. :)

00: 700/1000 @ 1.15v (High Performance AC)
01: 400/500 @ 0.90v (Standard AC)
02: 400/500 @ 0.90v (UVD)
03: 100/150 @ 0.85v (Battery Savings Idle)
04: 300/400 @ 0.90v (Battery Saving Performance)

& Overdrive enabled

MD5 Checksum: 2B388F65A64C58622BEAD76D340F26F8
SHA-1 Checksum: 85939D8287CE8E4C29B46B6BBF3F981C7A00A6B0

File here (http://pcaudio.org/stuff/fix_od2.rar)

metro2000
03-01-2011, 01:34 PM
anyone??

kanuhong
03-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Hi Chastity,

thank you for the OD vbios update. I tried the latest fix_OD2 and my screen seems to flicker when I do just about anything. such are scrolling down a webpage !! I'm using the latest mobile 11.2 drivers from the ATI site on a Win 7 64 bit.

am I doing something wrong?

thanks.

-M

i got the same problem,can u fix it Chastity?

Chastity@ASUS
03-02-2011, 01:52 PM
redownload and flash the current version of fix_od2 (same download link) I adjusted the memory timings to minimize flashing. With Aero active, it's jumping between Standard and High Performance AC timings when there is activity.

00: 700/1000 @ 1.15v (High Performance AC)
01: 400/1000 @ 0.95v (Standard AC)
02: 400/1000 @ 0.95v (UVD)
03: 100/150 @ 0.95v (Battery Savings Idle)
04: 300/400 @ 0.95v (Battery Saving Performance)

ericos
03-02-2011, 04:44 PM
hi, i used your last version of fix_od2 and still have the screen flicker and i removed windows aero, and i dont know why but when i use hdmi external monitor now it wont take the whole space even if im at 1920X1080 and before vflash it was ok, my monitor cant even detect signal to open automaticaly when i plug the hdmi cable , i hate to open it manually . GJ by the way, we can now use amd overdrive to overclock video card!

Chastity@ASUS
03-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Do you get the flickering with AC or battery? What are your idle clock settings? If they are 400/500, then you are using the old firmware. If you are using a Download Manager, then it's caching the download and giving you the old file.

metro2000
03-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Hi

is there an advantage in running the Fix2 instead of the stock VBIOS? I was looking to drop the memory clock speed to run the laptop cooler...I'm always plugged into the wall, so running on battery is not really a priority for me...when testing the old Fix2, I noticed the GPU temp drop a lot. thought I can take advantage of that. but I see the new clock speed is back at 1GZ...so is there a real advantage?

thanks !!

ericos
03-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Do you get the flickering with AC or battery? What are your idle clock settings? If they are 400/500, then you are using the old firmware. If you are using a Download Manager, then it's caching the download and giving you the old file.

yes its running 400/500 and jump to 780/1290 when overclocked and on battery it goes to 100/150

on my usbflash i have 4 file: atiflash, fix_od2.rom, od2 and vflash

i just say that when i enter vlash command it does not work cause its searching for the old file so i used like : atiflash -p 0 -f fix_od2.rom (was somithing like that, i used te old command and changed the file at the end)

Did i make something wrong?

edit: the flickering is only with ac , on battery its fine and its on my laptop screen only not on my external monitor

SilverJ
03-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I've had my Asus g73jh for 6 months. For the past three months I've had the GSOD while playing World off Warcraft, sometimes twice a night and other times not for four or five days. The problem has been getting worse. I updated the Bios to 211 and then to 213, and finally found your site a couple of days ago and updated the vbios yesterday according to your instructions. I used the first link on the post, since I didn't see the 2nd one until today. However, I still got the GSOD last night. Before I try changing anything else, should I update the vbios with your second link (the one on the bottom of your main post here)? I've updated the video driver only using the windows update. I tried the ATI catalyst driver suite a couple of weeks ago, but uninstalled it since it made the game unplayable.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!

Chastity@ASUS
03-03-2011, 09:19 PM
yes its running 400/500 and jump to 780/1290 when overclocked and on battery it goes to 100/150

on my usbflash i have 4 file: atiflash, fix_od2.rom, od2 and vflash

i just say that when i enter vlash command it does not work cause its searching for the old file so i used like : atiflash -p 0 -f fix_od2.rom (was somithing like that, i used te old command and changed the file at the end)

Did i make something wrong?

edit: the flickering is only with ac , on battery its fine and its on my laptop screen only not on my external monitor

Yes, you are using an old fix_od2.rom. Redownload it and make sure it matches these hashes:

MD5 Checksum: 62675869EDFFA9026900E7938E9AA20C
SHA-1 Checksum: BDB632A597AC0E86EC11B8582638201F3E78770C

http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/fix_od2.rar

Chastity@ASUS
03-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I've had my Asus g73jh for 6 months. For the past three months I've had the GSOD while playing World off Warcraft, sometimes twice a night and other times not for four or five days. The problem has been getting worse. I updated the Bios to 211 and then to 213, and finally found your site a couple of days ago and updated the vbios yesterday according to your instructions. I used the first link on the post, since I didn't see the 2nd one until today. However, I still got the GSOD last night. Before I try changing anything else, should I update the vbios with your second link (the one on the bottom of your main post here)? I've updated the video driver only using the windows update. I tried the ATI catalyst driver suite a couple of weeks ago, but uninstalled it since it made the game unplayable.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!

You can reflash if you want the option for overclocking with ATI's Overdrive Tab in CCC. Many do. :)

After done with that, uninstall all your ATI drivers, and update to the current 11.02 package, linked below. You can use ATI Crap Cleaner (http://pcaudio.org/stuff/ATI%20Crap%20Cleaner.bat) to scrub before installing the new drivers.

http://www2.ati.com/DRIVERS/mobile/11-2_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe

SilverJ
03-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for your reply. Since I do not know much about computers, I want to make sure I understand my next steps. Will the ATI Crap Cleaner program uninstall the ATI drivers for me? Or are there instructions somewhere on how to do this? I'm afraid to doing something to make my computer inoperable. :p

ericos
03-03-2011, 10:15 PM
You can reflash if you want the option for overclocking with ATI's Overdrive Tab in CCC. Many do. :)

After done with that, uninstall all your ATI drivers, and update to the current 11.02 package, linked below. You can use ATI Crap Cleaner (http://pcaudio.org/stuff/ATI%20Crap%20Cleaner.bat) to scrub before installing the new drivers.

http://www2.ati.com/DRIVERS/mobile/11-2_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe

you are right, now its working fine ! good job! im running 400/1000 now

Now i must admit i am scared to use amdoverdrive because stock my videocard go to 95 celcius when playing sc2 .... And i really have bad fds in sc2 with the new patch from blizzard :( even at medium graphic... dont know what to do...

EDIT: now i uninstalled video driver and used aticrapcleaner but now cant réinstall the new driver, it say i have a .inf file missing ???

Chastity@ASUS
03-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Thanks for your reply. Since I do not know much about computers, I want to make sure I understand my next steps. Will the ATI Crap Cleaner program uninstall the ATI drivers for me? Or are there instructions somewhere on how to do this? I'm afraid to doing something to make my computer inoperable. :p

Use the ATI driver installer to uninstall with. Then run the ATI Crap Cleaner. Then run the installer, and do a full install.

Chastity@ASUS
03-04-2011, 01:24 AM
you are right, now its working fine ! good job! im running 400/1000 now

Now i must admit i am scared to use amdoverdrive because stock my videocard go to 95 celcius when playing sc2 .... And i really have bad fds in sc2 with the new patch from blizzard :( even at medium graphic... dont know what to do...

EDIT: now i uninstalled video driver and used aticrapcleaner but now cant réinstall the new driver, it say i have a .inf file missing ???

If you are trying to run the installer from the location it expands to "C:\AMD\..." the Crap Cleaner will have deleted it. Run the installer you downloaded again.

ericos
03-04-2011, 03:25 AM
its not working, i had to put back br38352 to be able to reinstall and while rebooting i flashed again with your file and everything is fine now... i redoanloader the installer before reflashing and was still not working, thats why i reflashed. And after i reflashed to br38352 it said ati catalyst was not good with this flash but the install worked ?? and then i flashed your file.... at least its working now lol

metro2000
03-04-2011, 01:22 PM
@Chastity

Hi. is there an advantage in running the Fix2 instead of the stock VBIOS? I was looking to drop the memory clock speed to run the laptop cooler...I'm always plugged into the wall, so running on battery is not really a priority for me...when testing the old Fix2, I noticed the GPU temp drop a lot. thought I can take advantage of that. but I see the new clock speed is back at 1GZ...so is there a real advantage?

thanks !!

Chastity@ASUS
03-04-2011, 04:21 PM
1) should you ever need to be on battery, you'll get an extra hour on battery savings settings

2) you'll have easy overclock options with Overdrive

3) I upped the memory settings to fix a nasty flashing issue from clocks jumping between standard and high performance while on Aero.

metro2000
03-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Cool. Thanks for the response. The laptop’s finally rock solid now. fixed the GSOD, did a repaste of the GPU, and eventually gave up on the trackpad issues and hooked up an wireless mouse. Nothing but trouble with this laptop. But at least is works now. :) I get to savor it now until it gets replaced.

SilverJ
03-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Thank you, Chastity! I ran the installer program 'Uninstaller' which didn't find anything to uninstall as far as I could see. Then I ran Crap Cleaner and saw that it uninstalled some things. Then I ran your Catalyst installer and things look good so far. WoW loaded without any problems, but I won't have a chance to play until later. I am very hopeful that the GSOD is gone. Thanks again for your help.

One week later: I haven't had a chance to play for several hours in a row, but so far the game has been working fine - no GSOD. Thanks for the help!

evangelo
03-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Hi Chastity,

I just purchased a new g73jh a week ago and it has been blue screening with "machine exception check" every few hours. I have since undertaken the following and still having the same issues:
1. updated bios to 213
2. updated vbios v93 for 5870M
3. uninstalled all ATI
4. ATI crap cleaner and drive sweeper
5. reinstalled ATI catalyst 11.02
6. updated intel chipset driver

All drivers were downloaded from your driver & application page. Not sure where i am going wrong. Can you provide some assistance? Thanks

Brandan Tyler Lasley
03-07-2011, 01:34 AM
The freezes are now every time i boot with the AC plugged in not sure if it had anything to do with it but when i had it in it freezes 6 times on boot like 10 seconds after logging in and didn't when i unplugged the AC with all bootable applications off except.

Asus Live Update, Realtek HD Audio Manager, WiMAX, Synaptics Pointing Device.

Chastity@ASUS
03-07-2011, 01:46 AM
If using P4GH, grab the recommended version as per the Driver Page.

evangelo: Try also updating your Realtek Audio & HDMI if you haven't already.

lockedog3000
03-09-2011, 02:13 AM
I need help setting up the bootable USB. I all download the porgram. I have win 7. I got all the file. for the update. the problem is the USB it won't let me format to a bootable USB. Plus the HP USB tool don't work on my laptop. I have to open with troubleshoot compatibility. please help. Thanks!!!

lockedog3000
03-09-2011, 02:14 AM
I need help setting up the bootable USB. I all download the porgram. I have win 7. I got all the file. for the update. the problem is the USB it won't let me format to a bootable USB. Plus the HP USB tool don't work on my laptop. I have to open with troubleshoot compatibility. Hope this stop the random freeze. please help. Thanks!!!

lockedog3000
03-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Now I have another problem. I can't seem to type anything on msdos. this suck ass! Can anyone please hlep me. Thanks.

Tristan Kennedy Irvine
03-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Will this fix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qowv-qtUNI this problem? And if not, what does?

Robert Hansen
03-12-2011, 10:37 PM
I recently RMA'd mt G73JH... the process was smooth and within 10 days had it back. this was on march 4th. a bit of back history first. I was having problems with windows about a year ago, and was instructed on how to repair. few months later i started getting gsod and at the time i had been able to fix it. then it started to shut down on me so i would have to do a cap drain to be able to power back up. after that i noticed on my start ups that my windows splash screen was displaying as psod (all negative colors) but would go away when startup was done. now at this point i had got my gpu repasted with 24k icdiamond, and my temps were fine. about 3 weeks ago i boot up and PSOD has now taken over my g73. rma'd it like i said... now i had rma'd it without the hard disks and memory so when the computer came back i slapped them in, formatted and started over. saturday was supposed to be my day of joy in playin bf:bc2... 20 minutes into the game, GSOD. now i am running current bios (213 i think.) current cata drivers, w7 sp1 installed, fully updated. will this vbios work with my drivers? should i just rma it again? tech support says that my hard drives aren't configured? like is that a joke? everything in bios looks fine. hwmonitor is showing all my voltages are right, all my temps are perfect, even while under load... anyways, any help would be nice thanks.

romaniamiamiam
03-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Ok I might be dumb to do this but... I didn't have an asus, but I did the flash anyway. Which resulted in a write error 10000 out of 20000 or something like that. Which I know that my card is screwed but still.

Galactica
03-17-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm very uneasy about doing this flash of the vBIOS. I have tried to update my BIOS myself and bricked my machine: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1788-Help!-I-flashed-my-BIOS-and-now-can%E2%80%99t-turn-on-my-G73JH

So I RMA it to Asus and now got it back with a new MB and is now running BIOS 211.

Is it safe to update vBIOS?

Is it safe to update when using BIOS 211?

TheOriginalTO
03-17-2011, 12:25 PM
If you use the bootable driver way then you shouldn't have any problems. I've had my laptop for a few months now and updated the bios from 206-213 and vbios as well. no problems

Brandan Tyler Lasley
03-17-2011, 10:19 PM
The errors are happening more often and they're getting realllllly annoying sine i can only boot my computer in safe mode because normal causes the screen to comletely freeze like I said before.

It starts this constant freezing on boot and continues it for awhile after this blue screen 0x0000007A
http://brandanlasley.com/asus/photo.JPG

I'm guessing its a CPU issue maybe a problem with overclocking because sometimes the computer mouse works and you can select stuff but nothing moves. I was finally able to boot after unplugging it.

scyth_e
03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
it is save to update vbios with bios version 213? do u have any problems after this update with GOSD?

Pyro411
03-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Scythe, I currently have the upgraded vbios with 213 on mine and have not experienced any issues. -- I am also using the modified 11.01a package driver set from the driver thread, so far the only downfall I've seen is the Windows Logo upon bootup is not rendered right but every game I've tested seems fine.

Chastity@ASUS
03-22-2011, 05:18 PM
You can use any BIOS of 209 or later, tho 213 is most recommended

scyth_e
03-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Chasity plz post here step by step with used soft for fix2, coz im little noob in reflashing or post some link if its somewhere on forum.
I dont want make some mistakes. thanks a lot.

Chastity@ASUS
03-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Follow the directions as in the OP, but just add the contents of fix_od2 package, and use the od2.bat for running the update. There's no need to run the other flashes, just this one.

Grandpa
03-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Just wanted to say thanks Chastity. I started doing some folding on my Laptops 5870M and started getting the GSOD. I flashed the bios to the one you have provided on the OP and the issue is now gone. Although I did not use the USB method it is a little easier to use TechPowerUp Radeon Bios Editor v1.27 to flas the bios. You can get it here http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1924/TechPowerUp_Radeon_Bios_Editor_v1.27.html Any way Thank You.

DKB
03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
G73JH, 211, ccc of 11.2, GSOD or freeze at least once a day. Followed this guide to update vbios, then updated bios to 213. No GSOD, Furmark: no problem, smokin Ceph in Crysis 2 for two days with no GSOD. Thanks Team ROG. You guys rock!

Oldtymr
04-28-2011, 09:03 PM
I would just like to thank you. I have had problems with this Laptop since I bought it. Some games wouldn't run on the older Asus reference drivers, and when I would update my driver I would get the GSOD or a deterioration of the graphics on my screen in explorer. I did exactly as you recommended and now I updated my drivers to 11.4 and have had no troubles, and have noticed a significant frame rate increase. I am glad I stumbeld onto this site.

Chastity@ASUS
04-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Welcome to the Asus family :)

alex2301ua
05-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Thank's a lot Chastity. Use your's manual, updated my Vbios and problem with GSOD disappears. Now I can Install new drivers without problem.
P.S. Plaese help me to find here thread about HM55 and SSD, cause many people had a problem with slow perfomance of SSD drives on this chipset and now i prepare to buy such drive.

Chastity@ASUS
05-01-2011, 07:22 PM
That has to do with Power Management and the bus. After a long thread, it's best to just leave it alone, since the only cure was to disable Power Management.

alex2301ua
05-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Thank's. Lot of people says that there is no problem with SSD on G73JH. So I'll try to buy one, and try it myself. Actually i really want to buy G74 ;)

Naik
05-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Should I update the Bios to 213 first or should I update the vbios first?

Githzerai
05-07-2011, 05:12 PM
I am on Bios 213 and I currently have stock vbios. This question is aimed at Chastity because it is her post and I want to simply know how to properly do the OD2 update. I want to know what files need to be on the bootable drive and which to run. Do I run Vbios then od2, or do I just run od2? A side note on a procedure isn't good enough for me to experiment with, I'd really like to enable overdrive and use the reference drivers and it isn't your technical ability I question, but if these explanations were more thorough and centralized I think user confidence would be higher and you would receive less questions. One thing I've learned is to be thorough, lest we end up with bricks. I also read thoroughly before asking questions, and I've been reading my guts out, but the tutorial at the front of the post could have a better explanation, and after reading 32 pages of posts, I'm not yet confident because I don't see everything in one place. Call me stupid, but snap answers aren't sufficient for those learning, and I consider myself quite technically inclined, but when I give a procedure I'm thorough, and I centralize it. This is no disrespect to you, I just want to be sure I'm taking the correct steps from the beginning to the end.
:confused:

hiueei
05-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I have asus G73JH, and i have bios 211 and cataclyst 11.4, GSOD problems as well, flickering screen. ANd my question... Do i have to uninstall cataclyst, install bios 213 (do you know maybe what changed in 213) and then instal vbios and install graphic drivers again ? Please tell me what to do. Maybe just update vbios ?

Chastity@ASUS
05-07-2011, 09:52 PM
@Githzerai : I'm a Githyanki, so I will not help you. (j/k) :)

1) Files required on bootable drive: ATIFLASH.exe (from my original OD package), FIX_OD2.ROM, and OD2.bat

2) Insert usb stick, turn on machine, and spam Esc to get boot menu. Boot to your USB stick.

3) At prompt, just run OD2.bat. Follow instructions. If you get an error DO NOT FLASH. When complete, shut down, wait 5 secs, and restart. I like to reset the BIOS to Defaults to make sure CMOS is clear and proper.

@hiueei: Just do the vBIOS update. No need to uninstall anything if you have it installed already. You may want to update to 213.

hiueei
05-07-2011, 10:05 PM
something changed in 213 ? Need to install it or better stay at 211 without risk

Githzerai
05-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Everything working now! Except grayed out OD?? I'll figure it out. Thanks for all your help Chastity. :D

Chastity@ASUS
05-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Everything working now! Except grayed out OD?? I'll figure it out. Thanks for all your help Chastity. :D

There is a lock icon on the page. Hit it to ungrey OverDrive.

Chastity@ASUS
05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
something changed in 213 ? Need to install it or better stay at 211 without risk

213 has improved keyboard compatibility to address lag issues.

jonmac510
05-19-2011, 09:19 PM
It seems like I have tried everything to stop my notebook from having GSOD issues but it continues. It is always while I am playing computer games. Sometimes when it freezes it looks like the GSODs I have seen from different images. Recently, it freezes and the vertical lines are a lot darker than the light grey like a lot of the images show. I have updated all the bios and flashed the new vBIOS over. Here are my specs:
ASUS G73JH
Windows 7 64bit
BIOS 213
vBIOS 012.020.000.032 (followed instructions for flashing from this site)
CCC version 11.2
video driver : 8.821

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong? Thank you in advance.

Chastity@ASUS
05-20-2011, 10:31 PM
When the driver crashes, it can produce a GSOD screen. I would uninstall 11.2, reboot, and update to 11.5a RC3 (available on my Driver page)

jokerxdragon
05-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Just wanted to drop in and say thanks to everyone involved in this update, feels good to be able to keep my G73JH video drivers up to date.

Clockster
05-24-2011, 02:20 AM
So I've been trying to do this for about an hour now and I do everything it says step by step. But then once I get to the boot screen from pressing escape on start up at Asus screen, my flash drive I made into the bootable flash drive doesn't show up as an option. All that is there are two SATA options and I tried both. One just started up normal and the other was at a screen similar to the DOS screen but it said reboot computer or insert a bootable media drive and press any key.

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong but I really would appreciate the help. I tried two different flash drives and formatted them back to normal FAT and then back to the FAT32 with the DOS several times and neither of them worked. And, yes the three files needed are on them.

Thanks again in advance.

pureskull
06-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Where is the service group and who do i contact? Any numbers emails or anything that would help me out greatly to return this computer? After update it just the same and worst of all it makes screeching noise when it crashes on YOUTUBE.

ctheroux
06-14-2011, 03:04 AM
I had random display crashes (Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04). The OS was still alive but no display. I have updated the vbios. It seems to have fixed the problem. No display crashes for about two weeks now!!! Thanks a lot.

benjitek
06-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Any word on when this will be available via the Asus G73JH driver download page? As I'm not much of a gamer, I apparently don't suffer from the issues being addressed by this update, however, I wouldn't mind having up-to-date video drivers. From the activity of updates at the Asus site, you'd think nothing more is ever coming :(

Chastity@ASUS
06-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Asus doesn't update the drivers because they support and expect you to use the driver releases from AMD.

integsta
06-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Ok i have a serious problem. I just did a fresh install of windows 7 ult. on my momentus xt ssd hybrid drive. I was have issues where the laptop would stay under clocked when going from battery to plug in. So i did i vbios flash and updated my bios 209, and started to get the GSOD. I didn't have it prior to the bios flash but seeing that flashing the bios is the only way to fixing the underclocking issue. I've also tried bios 211 and 213 but i still get the GSOD. All drivers are updated and CCC was uninstalled and reinstalled. Can anyone help me here? It seems like my only choice is to reformat my drive and start over again.

Chastity@ASUS
06-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Upgrade your JH to 213, reset the BIOS to defaults, and then do your fresh install. Would be the best way to insure best performance.

integsta
06-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Would i have to do a secure wipe, and would the secure wipe keep my bios settings?

broddam
07-01-2011, 04:48 PM
EDIT::::::NVMD....that was the vBIOS...i got it and the BIOS updated so far...

Just got my G73jh last week. keyboard doesnt light up but the blue bar under the screen does. Have tried the button multiple times in top left of keyboard. Hoping flashing BIOS will help. Mine came with 212 I think (Version G73JH 212). Other issues are it just seems sluggish to me. Have gotten lock ups, artifacting on desktop at times and occasional BSOD...have not seen a GSOD. Question is this, is the link in post 1 to DL the BIOS updated to DL 213? I cant tell. When I go to ASUS sight and DL the 213 file, its only one file, unlike these directions say there are 3.

Chastity@ASUS
07-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Fn+F4 to turn on kb lights

Please make sure your vBIOS version is 012.020.000.032.0383.G730 (as reported in BIOS) or 012.020.000.032.038352 (as reported by HW apps like GPU-Z / HWINFO32)

If not, download http://pcaudio.org/stuff/93vBIOS_OD.rar

optional v2 update: http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/fix_OD2.rar

slickthug
07-03-2011, 06:05 PM
hey guys i have the same problem in this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3e8ZrN-qjw
(skip to 12:50 to see it)

will the vbios update fix it?

Chastity@ASUS
07-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Here is the Rule for the vBIOS:

If you have a G73JH, and you plan to use a Catalyst driver later than 10.1, then you MUST update the vBIOS to the one included here, or else your system will NOT be stable.

/Rule

Diebold
07-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Awesome! This worked perfectly. I used to be plagued by GSOD, now it is a thing of the past. Thank you very much for this fix.

Val
07-11-2011, 07:57 PM
optional v2 update: http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/fix_OD2.rar

Any changes in optional v2 update?

zewl23
07-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Really nice, after flash (such an easy part - with the whole in one package). My problems disappear, G73Jh was stable only with ASUS VGA drivers, now everythink looks pretty clear, even when I choose to hurting my puppy with Fumark, etc. ;-) Before there was problems in certain games with textures, and etc... (caused by drivers - my opinium). After upgrading to 11.6 from ATi everythink pretty good ;-) with new vBIOS - no errors (GSOD, BSOD, etc.)
Nice work guys.

Some1
08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Solved The incredibly annoying stripes plague :D
Still, from time to time my screen freezes for a short time, which I guess is when I should've gotten a GSOD...
But for now i'll make do with that, TYVM. :D

(In case u'r gonna ask: 012.020.000.032.038352)

idrog-n
08-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi all
I'm the happy owner of an asus g73jh but i've a little problem with some videos games, like UT3, GRAW, GTA 4, like freeze, artefacts or hard reboot, or shut down, and waiting 5 minutes to reboot.

So, i need to know, if i have to flash my vbios.
I have the latest version of bios and ati drivers.

Thaks for your answers

Cheers,

Joris

Dvoraak
08-28-2011, 03:08 PM
While I do appreciate the fix (I've been dealing with this G73 for 8 months before finding this thread), I'm extremely nervous about trying it. I think I'll just lose my mind if I wind up with an unusable laptop.
A few weeks ago I went back to Best Buy and bought the G74. I thought that with the NV 560 graphics I'd have a usable laptop. After 10 minutes in BFBC2 it froze just like this one does. It went back to Best Buy the next morning. Did Asus really leave the same problem in 2 generations with different graphics hardware?

*edit* Ok the flash worked and I'm getting ready to sweep the old video drivers and install the latest catalyst. Just wondering, will this fix work with the G74Sx bbk7?

xeromist
08-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi all
I'm the happy owner of an asus g73jh but i've a little problem with some videos games, like UT3, GRAW, GTA 4, like freeze, artefacts or hard reboot, or shut down, and waiting 5 minutes to reboot.

So, i need to know, if i have to flash my vbios.
I have the latest version of bios and ati drivers.

Thaks for your answers

Cheers,

Joris

Your issue sounds like overheating. Make sure to clean your air vents with a can of air and that they are not obstructed at all during operation. However, if you have not done the update then I would still recommend it.

Rydell
09-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Chastity
http://pcaudio.org/stuff/93vBIOS_OD.rar

MD5 Checksum: 1B8342E01A80267FEAFC8EE8BD99CE72
SHA-1 Checksum: 5C84D94C3ECBAB4FC443A0296AF39A1FF4E16B38

I wanted to add that there is an updated version with improved battery life settings

http://pcaudio.org/stuff/fix_od2.rar
MD5 Checksum: 62675869EDFFA9026900E7938E9AA20C
SHA-1 Checksum: BDB632A597AC0E86EC11B8582638201F3E78770C

The second link is broke.

EDIT: So is the first one.

Chastity@ASUS
09-10-2011, 11:42 PM
As a quick patch, swap "donotblame.us" for "pcaudio.org" for some files to download. Once I get started at Asus, I'm going to try and get a host server on asusrog.

TheOriginalTO
09-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Flashed my vbios to OD2, and now whenever my laptop loads something my screen jumps up and down... please help me.

Chastity@ASUS
09-11-2011, 01:35 AM
A little more info plz

Krashkource
09-11-2011, 09:58 AM
I am experiencing the same issue after flashing the second version of the modified vBios (fix_od2.rar). It appears that the screen jumps at random up and down when the screen is drawn. This does not happen with the 93vBIOS_OD.rar files.

It almost looks as if it is a vsync issue or refresh problem. Not sure what can be done, had to revert back to the original bios from Chastity with OD support to get the screen to work again.

Chastity@ASUS
09-11-2011, 07:41 PM
This is being caused by some application causing the card to fluctuate between 3D mode and 2D mode (700/1000 clocks and 400/500 clocks) I have UVD set to 400/500 to minimize screen flashing when having videos running in the background, as many browsers use hardware acceleration.

Since I do not know what apps you are running, I cannot answer what is causing this. You can try shutting them off one at a time to find the culprit.

TheOriginalTO
09-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Do you think that ATT could be the culprit? it's the only thing i had running.

Rydell
09-13-2011, 02:43 AM
Ok installed the OD VBIOS update successfully - went into CCC, and overdrive isn't an option. I have the latest GPU driver listed on your G73 applications sticky and nada. I went ahead and tried reinstalling those drivers, still no dice. Maybe it was assumed I should have ran another command at prompt during the video flash? Before I go on a wild goose chase, is there something I'm missing here? I read your directions through and through, I think something was forgotten?

Josea
09-13-2011, 12:16 PM
rydell open the ...rom file that you flashed with and verify that OD is enabled, use http://www.techpowerup.com/rbe/ this tool to look at it in windows
Once you have the rom file open in RBE click additional features- method 2 S/B checked on and limits are 875 1300

Krashkource
09-13-2011, 05:50 PM
This is being caused by some application causing the card to fluctuate between 3D mode and 2D mode (700/1000 clocks and 400/500 clocks) I have UVD set to 400/500 to minimize screen flashing when having videos running in the background, as many browsers use hardware acceleration.

Since I do not know what apps you are running, I cannot answer what is causing this. You can try shutting them off one at a time to find the culprit.

Thanks for the reply, the only program running was Windows 7 with Aero, it did get worse when I ran a browser that had inbuilt hardware acceleration. On a side note, it does not occur when I am running the non battery optimized vBios update.

Chastity@ASUS
09-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Oops! I just realized I posted an older fix_od2, which causes the screen flickering. I've attached here the current one with better AC power settings.

TheOriginalTO
09-13-2011, 08:11 PM
lol, thanks. Going to flash now, be back with results.

/edit Everyone is working great, thanks chastity. You da best

colklink
09-14-2011, 02:27 PM
i tried that vbios was stable running everything 800 1100 then wife played coaster tycoon and got a bsod blamed it on me lol saw major gains in all benchmarks i think it was just her archaic game however mind you that the game never had issues with the original bios flash from gary other than the ocasional crash to desktop never a bsod

colklink
09-15-2011, 01:34 PM
so case in point i actually have a question is there a bandwidth issue restricting overclock on the od2 bios? it overclocks runs max temp 81c under load and thats giving a couple degrees i see people getting 840 clocks on gpu, then others like me only get 800 1100 but still get bsods or dx driver removal i am wondering if this is because of turbo mode conflicting in bandwidth or maybe a jh issue i got the best buy model because i have kids and extra 120 got me the you can kick it across the room warranty

TheOriginalTO
09-15-2011, 01:37 PM
what temp reading are you using, i noticed my flaw immediately. When furmark was saying 81 degrees ( which is the lowest temp recorded ) all other apps such as gpu-z and hwinfo were recording 95+ which then gives reason to the artifacts etc. that came with my attempt of an overclock. so until i get a cooling pad and possibly repaste there is no OC'n for me :(

colklink
09-15-2011, 03:30 PM
well i was just using ati overdrive tempature guage by tabbing out while playing i was getting no artifacts until i would hit the overdrive (turbo button) granted my wife did play her game for 2 hours before crash (bsod) but yeah only when i would hit turbo would i get the dx driver message also i have another question how does one enable mlaa on this laptop i have it completely teched and stable but would like mlaa ability

TheOriginalTO
09-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Chastity, I just wanted to let you know that your OD2 made it so SC2 no longer came out of 2d clock mode. I am now fully reverted back to the original vbios and everything is working great.

arcahthens
09-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Hi, I have a Asus G73jh-A1 right now that I Purchased during early August of 2011. I recently changed the bios to Windows 7 Ultimate and managed to get myself the problem people call GSOD. This problem occurs when i play CoD on Steam and Starcraft 2. This problem also occurs when i watch anything in 720p, at 480p it can play with no problem. I've researched a bit about his problem and many people say flashing would work, however, I'm wondering if the instructions in the 1st page is still correct or is their anything new that should be added to it?

colklink
09-16-2011, 11:57 AM
the process is still the same i recomend the original gsod vbios flash listed on page one the others work but the original vbios flash is most stable

Chastity@ASUS
09-17-2011, 12:16 AM
the process is still the same i recomend the original gsod vbios flash listed on page one the others work but the original vbios flash is most stable

More stable?! O.o They're just as stable as the original :) (Unless you go crazy with the overclocks)

Chastity@ASUS
09-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Chastity, I just wanted to let you know that your OD2 made it so SC2 no longer came out of 2d clock mode. I am now fully reverted back to the original vbios and everything is working great.

I never had a problem playing SC2 here. :shrugs:

arcahthens
09-17-2011, 05:10 AM
Ok, so chastity, are there any new changes with the info on page 1?

colklink
09-17-2011, 12:34 PM
hmm chas does the od2 enable mlaa or am i going to have to mess with regedit?

colklink
09-17-2011, 12:46 PM
i think yes its stable but im wondering if theres some reg limit or something that im not figuring out this laptop excites me

Chastity@ASUS
09-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Ok, so chastity, are there any new changes with the info on page 1?

Not that I am aware of, other than me working on getting my server back up, and hopefully find a home on asusrog's servers.

Chastity@ASUS
09-18-2011, 09:00 AM

MLAA is enabled through the driver, and not the vBIOS, so no. You'll need to do the registry edit, or uninstall, reboot, ATI Crap Cleaner, then install current build.

TheOriginalTO
09-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Well, that's odd that you've never had a problem.. but I guess it's whatever now :/ my system runs the best of this vbios so i might as well stick to it.

Vannos
09-18-2011, 09:20 PM
I just got done flashing my Bios to 213, updating my Vbios using the 93vBIOS.rar and the OD2 fix that you posted a few paged back. But, I am still having problems with the screen flickering under my mouse icon, this only happens while I am plugged in. If I run on battery I have no issues.

If anyone knows how to fix this I would appreciate it.

colklink
09-19-2011, 04:25 PM
just a quick update to the oc issues, it seems its possible that the overclocking ability of the gpu might have been degraded on some chipsets at least since catalyst 11.7 release 11.6 is appearantly still ok, not sure to the validity of this but it was on notebook review?

colklink
09-19-2011, 04:27 PM
http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/610489-catalyst-11-7-11-8-11-9-rcx-overclocking-broken.html

Josea
09-21-2011, 02:49 PM

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4330-Mlaa-enabled-the-easy-way!!!!
NICE work Colkiink! I will try it out and report back! +1 rep

xeromist
09-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I would say to give it a try. The advantage of having another visual quality setting is that you may be able to turn something else lower or off and get similar performance while it actually looks better. For example, you might be able to lower the resolution and have it still look good (depending on the game).

colklink
09-21-2011, 05:29 PM
as from what ive seen so far its heavlily game software specific most of the current titles benifit from the catalyst being set to adaptive aa and box filter so while not looking the best still sharp, catalyst however is supposidly reporting gains in 11.8 on some titles from using mlaa anyway easy to enable see other thread

bb2180
09-26-2011, 04:03 AM
First post here hoping my gsod issues can be fixed. I have updated the vbios to the one given on page 1, i have updated the bios to 213, and have catalyst 11.8 currently installed on my new laptop(got this a day ago). Im still getting gsods in AND out of games, whether im surfing the web or idle on my desktop there will be random flickering and the occasional gsod. I have looked all ovedr trying to find a fix that would help my situation but nothing i do is working. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I should also mention that this is after i reset it back to factory settings because when i had initially got it out of the box and tried the various fixes on the web it got to the point where my screen could not function at all the moment i started up the computer with the constant flickering/gsods

EDIT2: Now it wont even turn on..It powers up but the display never comes on. Im just going to return this piece of crap and save myself any more trouble.

colklink
09-28-2011, 12:50 PM
not a problem its why this forum exists i wonder if theres any other neat tricks left in this laptops bag

colklink
09-28-2011, 02:11 PM
thats a bummer about the laptop i wonder what steps you did to the point when it went down

topjben
10-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Hello guys,

I had some issues after doing this tutorial.
I had a hard time looking for someone who had the same problem than me but unfortunately i didn't find any answers to my situation.

I feel like this place is the best one to have an answer to my problem so there we go :

1 - I have flashed the Bios of my G73jh from 206 to 213 using winflash.
At this point everything allright, it had worked great, even the touchpad was working !

2 - I flashed the VBios with a bootable usb key just like the tutorial, until the "type VFlash" step.
It updated the Vbios correctly, the screen told me vbios update complete and to restart computer.
-> Restart using "Ctrl Alt Del"

And there ---> black screen.
I restarted again, black screen.

I found a tutorial to repair it :
Rename "Vflash" in "autoexec" (in the usb key)
Put-of both HDD.
Restart with usb key, wait 2 minutes then re-plug HDDs and restart, and everything should be in order.

But it has not worked, i am stuck with my black screen G73jh. X_X

I ask you guys if you have any solutions, i've taken a look on many forums in vain so i decided to ask help by myself here.
For information my G73jh is still under warranty, but i'd like to know if i can fix it by myself before engaging RMA procedure which i don't know if it works if i have flashed my computer ?

Thank you very much in advance for helping guys.
Ps: Sorry for the block, but everything is here.

Chastity@ASUS
10-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Why don't you download one of my files, and check the hash vs my posted hashes to ensure a proper download. Once verified it's good, extract the ROM and bat file, and name my bat file to "autoexec.bat" and blind flash again.

If it doesn't work, PM me your name, address, phone, and serial number of unit and we can get the RMA process started.

Disane
10-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi there! I've just registered after reading how many people have had issues flashing their vBios.

I managed to bump into a BSOD problem when updating my AMD 5870 with the Catalyst Center. Now the computer doesn't have any drivers for VGA.
At this point it would be a good idea (or at least better than going back to a broken driver) to flash my vBios, but looking at this forum, I just recognized that, this is a sign of "Better not do this!".
I have flashed many of my devices at home, and never hat any issues with flashing although this process scares me a little bit.

I bought my G73-JH from Germany like 7-8 months ago. I have also received the 2 year warranty.
My question is: Is there another way to flash the vBios? Does ASUS do this for their customers without any fee?
If not, then does vBios v93 require the 213 Motherboard BIOS upgrade as well?
Cause I don't think I have that...

UPDATE:

So I installed AMD Catalyst 11.9 without updating the vBios. First I got a Blue Screen of Death, than I played around and tried to install an older driver, it didn't work. Then I disabled my VGA in the Device Manager and installed 11.9 on top of the old driver. It works well at the moment. Does this mean that I wont be seeing the GSOD or any other problems that were mentioned here?
Oh yeah another thing, it appears the Catalyst control center has died in the process as well. It doesn't start up as it should although the VGA drivers are working perfectly.

topjben
10-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Why don't you download one of my files, and check the hash vs my posted hashes to ensure a proper download. Once verified it's good, extract the ROM and bat file, and name my bat file to "autoexec.bat" and blind flash again.

If it doesn't work, PM me your name, address, phone, and serial number of unit and we can get the RMA process started.

Thank you very much for your quick answer Chastity

I'll try your method as soon as i get back from work.
I'm currently going with the Asus Official 213 (downloaded from support.asus.com) that was working perfectly well.

Do i have to update the bios again before applying "93vBIOS_OD.rar" update on the Vbios.
I suppose i have to remove HDDs before doing that ? (just to be sure)
Thank you in advance.

EDIT: i have dowloaded "fix_od2.rar" but "93vBIOS_OD.rar" is a 404, can i do it with only "fix_od2.rar" ?

Chastity@ASUS
10-10-2011, 11:50 PM
sure, it has the bat and rom file. You already made a boot usb stick. No, you don't need to reflash the BIOS.

topjben
10-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Okay,

I have tried to blindflash my G73 with your "fix_od2.rar" but nothing happens, i guess that now the next step is RMA ? :/
I have only one question, does the warranty will still work ? Even if bios and vbios have been flashed, do i have to tell Asus France that i have done that ?

Thank you for your help

Chastity@ASUS
10-11-2011, 02:55 PM
A bad flash doesn't warrant a warranty void. Tho I cannot tell you what to say. :)

Exar661
10-12-2011, 01:34 PM
One question Chastity, I´m about to flash my vBios, I´ve already made my USB bootable. The 3 files (fix_od2.rom, od2.bat, atiflash.exe) have to be in the memory, right?, and the one I have to type after boot with the USB is od2.bat, is that correct?, I don´t want to mess up the vBios.
Thank you.

Chastity@ASUS
10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
One question Chastity, I´m about to flash my vBios, I´ve already made my USB bootable. The 3 files (fix_od2.rom, od2.bat, atiflash.exe) have to be in the memory, right?, and the one I have to type after boot with the USB is od2.bat, is that correct?, I don´t want to mess up the vBios.
Thank you.
sounds like you are ready to fire!

Exar661
10-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Thank you Chastity, everything went just fine, I will try now 11.10 preview 2 (wanna play rage).

P.S: Do you know where can I get ATI crap cleaner?

scyth_e
10-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I flased my vbios to version ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER012.020.000.032.038352 with fix_od2.rom
then i installed AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver 11.9 and everytime after boot catalyst control center has stopped working
so installed AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver 11.10 and after windowst start i got bluescreen
help pls what i did wrong?

scyth_e
10-15-2011, 12:14 PM
finally uninstaled all ati or amd stuff i instaled 11.2 driver and control center then instalen only 11.10 driver and it works for rage but textures are mixed so i probably must find some patch

covillans
10-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I did the vbios update = 012.020.000.032.0383.g730
Bios version. 1.28.119

I cant upgrade to catalyst 11.1 when i install catalyst it memory dumps and tosses all the settings for the video card.

Chasitity do you have any solutions as to why. I know im missing info let me know what you need.

avlartem
10-28-2011, 01:41 PM
What is the latest version of vBios for Asus G73JH?

Lance
10-28-2011, 10:33 PM
I would like to know the most up to date vBios as well and a link. I updated to the lastest vBios referred on this thread and was only able to update to Catalyst 11.8. Catalyst 11.9 was changing my resolution and not working corectly with the updated vBios. I recently started playing Battlefield 3 and am able to play it on Catalyst 11.8 but would like to upgrade to 11.9. Did they make some changes with 11.9 where we will have to upgrade our vBios again?

ShelbyZT2
10-30-2011, 03:56 PM
After we have completed this vbios update, are we then able to also update bios safely to 213 or does the vbios conflict with 213? Basically is 211 recommended for just the install or for running alongside the new vbios as well?

ajiichiban
10-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Hi there!,i was refered to this site beause i recently updated my g73jh video card driver to the latest one's and i'm having issues with flickering screen and crashing games. Would this flash fix my current problem? I haven't done any of this stuff so please go easy on me :) My bios atm is 213 and my video card driver is the beta one for the BF3. As i was reading the forum, I am a lil bit confuse on what to do first? Do i need to uninstall my drivers b4 flaahing vbios or just go ahead and flash it and l8er uninstall and reinstall my video card driver. I can't do much about my bios bcoz it's the latest one from the main site. Thank you very much.

TheOriginalTO
10-31-2011, 03:59 AM
Just use a bootable flash, put the 3 items on it, boot from the flash and run vflash.bat no need to uninstall drivers or anything.

nerfer2
11-02-2011, 02:37 AM
Hello all.

I have been absolutely terrified of updating the vBIOS on this laptop, hearing stories of people bricking theirs and whatnot. I went to the US last summer, since I bought it there the summer prior, but no service center had any idea what I was going on, and said since it wasn't supported by ASUS they can't do it.

Anyway, I might have to do this, as I am buying Skyrim when it comes out, and there is no damn way I am not playing Skyrim. So to clear things up

-Do I have to update my BIOS first?
-What are the risks, and what do I do to fix them if something does go wrong?
-My warranty is up, so how much would an RMA for a bricked g73jh be?
-I am also thinking of doing a reformat/reinstall windows 7, to start fresh, is this advised? Should I so it before or after updating my vBIOS?
-Can I get an RMA in Ireland?
-Is there any updated on this, like new files or anything?

Help would be great. I have been paranoid about this for a long while.

Muk_Zulus
11-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Hey guys,
This is my first post on this site and will not be my last, I just wanted to say thank you guys for this fix, I was very worried about attempting this fix, but it was very easy to do after calling Asus to verify my warranty (I’m good to 5/11/2012 lol )
But in all seriousness Thank you guys so much for this post it was very easy to do, just follow directions and you will not have any issues..
Before this fix I could not use any other driver other than the driver posted on Asus driver page which sucked big time, I was ready to sell the laptop when I purchased
Battlefield3 and it did not want to run at all, Now Battlefield3 runs great now and looks amazing .
Anyway Thanks again and keep up the awesome help !!!!!
.:Muk:.Zulus

Olkowsr
11-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Would this be the solution to why battlefield 3 let me play for 5-10 mins then crashes every game and I have to do a hard shut down (g73JH-X5)

Muk_Zulus
11-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Would this be the solution to why battlefield 3 let me play for 5-10 mins then crashes every game and I have to do a hard shut down (g73JH-X5)

Are you getting GSOD when it crashes?

ajiichiban
11-02-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm glad that it worked for me after flashing my Vbios gsod's and screen flickers are gone.. I can now play battlefield 3 without crashes that requires me 2 to hard shut down. Ty guys and keep up the goodwork :D

nerfer2
11-03-2011, 11:11 PM
I just made a bootable flash drive, so I can use it later on. Now when I was doing it, I accidentally deleted what the label was, and it gave me an error. I then put in another label, and it worked and was made successfully.

Will this have any affect on the flash?

xeromist
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
The volume label for the drive? That won't make any difference.

nerfer2
11-04-2011, 08:18 PM
The volume label for the drive? That won't make any difference.

Good, I am being overly cautious here. Trying to make sure every little thing I'm doing wont mess me up.

nerfer2
11-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Got another, hopefully last batch of questions.

Should I upgrade to the latest ATI drivers before the flash, or doesn't it matter?

What are the most common causes of failure?

Last time I tried installing ATI drivers, I had some sort of error. Should I rectify this before starting a flash? I heard of a program called ATI crap cleaner, and I am thinking it may be useful.

TrippleX
11-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Does this GSOD fix also work for the G73-SW-TX206 ?

Josea
11-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Nerfer2, I went from factory driver to 11.2 CCC - First I did the VBIOS - then immediately I updated the video driver- no problems
I would also try to fix the ATI driver update issue first - Chastity has written and excellent procedure that includes the crap cleaner.

nerfer2
11-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Nerfer2, I went from factory driver to 11.2 CCC - First I did the VBIOS - then immediately I updated the video driver- no problems
I would also try to fix the ATI driver update issue first - Chastity has written and excellent procedure that includes the crap cleaner.

Can't seam to find it, link? The ATI Crap Cleaner in chastity's stickied thread doesn't work.

Thanks for the advice though :D

superpoder
11-08-2011, 03:06 AM
Thanks for help. I pass 3 weeks trying to solve this.

Now I can play BF3.

one more time Thanks.

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Can't seam to find it, link? The ATI Crap Cleaner in chastity's stickied thread doesn't work.

Why not try Driver Sweeper (http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html). It has a tool for cleaning AMD/ATI.

nerfer2
11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Why not try Driver Sweeper (http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html). It has a tool for cleaning AMD/ATI.

Just did it and analyzed and deleted all the junk. Was able to successfully download ATI drivers. :D

For some reason though, whenever I start up, it asks to put in a disk for "Appdisk" or something like that. Oh well, someone tell me if this will affect anything or not, as it doesn't seem too just yet.

dstrakele
11-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Is the error you see at startup something like this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080124113538AAdQzYI ? If so, I suspect an HP Printer is trying to reinstall its desktop software.

Here's a more general article on how to resolve MSI Startup Errors: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00811375&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

PickledCommando
11-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Okay, I have a question based on weather or not I should or shouldn't do a vBios flash...
I'm running vBios version 012.017.000.004.035992 and I haven't really had a problem with any sort of GSOD ( I might have had 2-3 with in 2 years )

I'm wondering if it would be better for me to stay with the current vBios or try the 93vbios update
the reason why I'm thinking about it is because i have read somewhere that the temps drop to about mid 40's.Is this true?
Because I'm running at about 70C right now and I feel that is hot (when in game the temps just peek over 90C)

nerfer2
11-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Is the error you see at startup sinmething like this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080124113538AAdQzYI ? If so, I suspect an HP Printer is trying to reinstall its desktop software.

Here's a more general article on how to resolve MSI Startup Errors: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00811375&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

That's it! Felt like that may have been googleable and feel bad for asking but thanks a ton!

People here are very helpful, I am going to do the vbios update soonish. Thanks for fixing up some things all of you and thanks hooking me up with the Driversweeper, I heard about it but thought it wasn't free, all your help is very appreciated. :D

Somentine
11-09-2011, 09:22 PM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6222/img0016zh.jpg

this is what i got after i did the VFlash, just to let you know. did i do it right? or is something wrong?

I get this exact problem except mine has an added line of:

Programmed: 0 RomSize: 20000

or something like that.

Any idea?

nerfer2
11-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I get this exact problem except mine has an added line of:

Programmed: 0 RomSize: 20000

or something like that.

Any idea?

This kinda worries me. If you get that error what do you do?

waynet9103
11-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm having the same problem but just a blinking cursor at top. I went over it like 20 times same thing just a blinking bar at start up on the flash drive. I put a F in the volume label space while making it a boot drive and that didn't work ether. Im still stuck. I downloaded the files from brian@asus thread and followed the instructions it looks like my file were smaller in numeric size than ones i see on his screen. but i redownloaded them and still same in size.ill try puting a E in the volume label for now

Somentine
11-09-2011, 10:20 PM
This kinda worries me. If you get that error what do you do?

It hasn't done anything to my machine, it just doesn't flash the vbios.

nerfer2
11-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Snip

Good to know the error doesn't brick the the laptop. I also want to know what to do if this happens though, so when the time comes I can make sure it doesn't happen.

Also, can I remake my bootable flash drive after I already made it? Also should I update my BIOS, or is it unnecessary?

waynet9103
11-09-2011, 10:29 PM
driving me crazy because i just got this laptop as a upgrade from my hp core2 duo nivida 9200m GS 2gb ram were games were running smooth on low. Now not playing games with gray screen. The Witcher and rift seamed ok but Duke Nukem and rage were crap. just some of the games I have tried replaying on this ROG G73jh ati hd5870 6g ddr3. if i can flash these vbios I hope it will fix this Machine.I upgraded the bios to 213 now i got do another, was so simple with the other machine. I havent been doing anything but tring to fix this driver and bios problem. guess it what i get for buying gently used.... no updates! but i saved big if i can just get it running up todate. something isnt going right with the VFLASH..

nerfer2
11-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Why doesn't ASUS officially put this fix on their site anyway? It would clear up a lot of problems with RMA's and people not willing or understanding what to do.

waynet9103
11-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Bought my G73 a week or so ago, and was plagued with GSOD. Found this page via Google. I have just finished flashing BIOS and VBIOS. Seems ok so far. No crashes in CS4 and Bioshock (which is where I started having probs). One point, I spent a while trying how to figure how to boot from usb...in the boot options menu... Just to be clear, the option is on the save and exit screen :)
Anyway...so far so good, cheers.

I need a RMA or something. I flashed the bios NP. but I cant get it to boot off the usb drive to flash the vbios to get rid of this GSOD. I select boot order #1 as flash drive and chose to boot it from the save and exit screen. I just get a flashing bar or reinsert a doot disk if choose from save and exit screen. I put the 3 files in the flash drive after I made it a boot drive with the win98 file. I check the flash drive and they are there. I have had this laptop for over a week and it hasn't been fun so far.

waynet9103
11-09-2011, 11:58 PM
I have the ati driver problems, Then the cpu droped rating to 4.7 because a ati driver change my power settings. It took me a couple day to figure out what that was, Then went to new bios 213 I think, Now I still got do a Vbios update to fix the Gray Screens while playing games witch is what this hole mess is all about. the 5870 hd card :(

nerfer2
11-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Still want to know the most common thing that can go wrong, if anybody knows.

I may do it tomorrow, because if Skyrim doesn't run on my drivers, there is no way I am not doing it.

nerfer2
11-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Can someone answer please, the thing comes out tomorrow and I don't want to do the flash and not know what to do if something messes up.

Also still want to know if I should update my BIOS first.

PickledCommando
11-10-2011, 11:12 PM
From the looks of this thread, the worst thing that can happen is you have to RMA. Other then that, it looks like you just have to do a blind flash back to your original vBio's. Hope this helps.

ArScAn
11-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a G73JH-A1 with win7 ultimate 64bit and bios 213. I was playing bf3 since launch without any problems (on high - 25 to 30fps so I played on low 40fps - Catalyst 11.10).
Then yesterday I found the thread about the vbios update and I thought I should give a try to gain some fps and finnaly play on high on multiplayer.

I made the vbios update as described here (latest version fix_od2) from version 012.017.000.004.035992. Everything end fine on flash.

Then I unistalled Catalyst 11.10 and ran DriveSweeper, reboot and reinstalled Catalyst 11.10. Overdrive just showed up as planned.
Tried 800 x 1100 and on Catalyst test everything ran fine until 5 minutes later I got the brown stripes and pc frozen. That happened many times after Win logon and Catalyst load until I enter win safe mode and unintalled Catalyst.
Reinstalled again and tested on 750 x 1050. Everything fine on test and on windows for hours. When I tried to play bf3 the game frozen uppon enter the map.
Problem is that I disabled Overdrive and returned to stock speeds 700 x 1000 and pc continues to frozen on bf3 after some minutes... can't play anymore!!!!
Just to note that I never changed bf video settings and continue to play on low settings 1920x1080 as before vbios update.

Any ideas? Can you please help me????

Thank you very much!!!

dstrakele
11-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Did you attempt a restore to an earlier time?

If that fails, I believe the Vbios update thread contains info on how to backrev your Vbios. Perhaps someone who actually performed this procedure can weigh in and help you out.

PickledCommando
11-13-2011, 01:17 AM
ArScAn I had that same vBios,012.017.000.004.035992, I dont know if everyone else on this thread did also, but i am running at stock speeds 700/1000 with out any problems on the new vBios that is provided in the beginning of this tread.

P.S. I just did the Vbios update about 5 days ago, I am also running Bios version 213 and have the newest drivers for the 5870m card. BF3 has increased in FPS by a little with no crashing oh and temps dropped about 10C also when just in idle.

dstrakele is right when you launched the vflash command it stored your old vbios on the drive you used, if all else fails we can go back to that.

ArScAn
11-13-2011, 03:05 AM
I reflashed to the version available on page 1 (93vBIOSa.rar) from od2 from Chastity... Still getting pc freezes after some minutes on bf3!!
What temps do you get with the last vbios and Catalyst 11.10? I just tested on bf3 and GPU-Z showed 95-97ºC... Maybe the temperature is causing the pc to freeze? However I don't get BSODs, just hard restarts...

I don't know what to do anymore! I shouldn't had updated my vbios as I was running bf3 fine for hours!! I just hope my greed for some extra fps doesn't cost my pc!

I think I will try to backrev to old vbios (if its really stored in my pen drive). Maybe a repaste or older driver... Any ideas?

Update: I just viewed GPU-Z log and temps reached 100ºC... Tested with FurMark and temps reached 105ºC after 2min but no freeze or BSODs.
I thought repaste and a cooler cleaning will be the solution. My temps are correct or to high for the last vbios?
Another question. Someone knows where to find the old vbios (012.017.000.004.035992) for a test?

dstrakele
11-13-2011, 03:23 AM
I wouldn't worry about the backreving the VBios - you have a confirmed overheating problem to address.... There would be way more folks reporting overheating after the VBios update on this and NBR forum if it was a cause.

Do the blow out with compressed gas and see where that leaves you. If you're still running hot, see the Sticky on doing a repaste.

JRd1st
11-13-2011, 03:16 PM
A bckrev is faster and safer if the bios allows backrevving, but I see your point too, DS.

Microchaton
11-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Hello, after hesitating to do it for a while (various game freeze then instantly going into black screen with the fans going very loud, and system shutdown after a few seconds, usually leading to an impossibility to boot the laptop for a few minutes up to several hours...that's not the typical "GSOD" I googled but very similar...) I've triple-checked everything and followed the exact instructions (updated the bios to v 213 before, via WinFlash (I believe), everything happened as expected and after typing "dir" then "vflash", I tried to reboot the computer, which then shut down entirely for several hours and wouldn't boot again. It just restarted now.
Weird thing : during the flash, I had the exact same thing as written in the video, as in, my old and new flash versions numbers were the exact same -_- unlike what it is, I think, supposed to be : old bios supposed to be an older version. I'm going to try to play long sessions of Skyrim but I'm afraid something went wrong...
I didn't read all the 500 posts of the thread though, and I'll readily admit that I'm not really an expert in those things, I'm more "tech-savvy" than the average user by far, but nowhere near "expert" level.
If anybody could confirm that the issue I had is indeed the one this update is supposed to fix, and that the shutdown post flashing isn't bodeing awful stuff...
Thanks (sorry for awkward english I'm french)

Microchaton
11-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Update : Nope, Skyrim crashed after like 5 minutes and system shutdown, could reboot few minutes later... But apparently nothing changed since I "tried" to do the vBIOS update. really need help :( can't play most games atm, only like King's Bounty, League of Legends, might & magic heroes VI (even there it crashes sometimes) and a few others...

PickledCommando
11-14-2011, 01:12 AM
I reflashed to the version available on page 1 (93vBIOSa.rar) from od2 from Chastity... Still getting pc freezes after some minutes on bf3!!
What temps do you get with the last vbios and Catalyst 11.10? I just tested on bf3 and GPU-Z showed 95-97ºC... Maybe the temperature is causing the pc to freeze? However I don't get BSODs, just hard restarts...

I don't know what to do anymore! I shouldn't had updated my vbios as I was running bf3 fine for hours!! I just hope my greed for some extra fps doesn't cost my pc!

I think I will try to backrev to old vbios (if its really stored in my pen drive). Maybe a repaste or older driver... Any ideas?

Update: I just viewed GPU-Z log and temps reached 100ºC... Tested with FurMark and temps reached 105ºC after 2min but no freeze or BSODs.
I thought repaste and a cooler cleaning will be the solution. My temps are correct or to high for the last vbios?
Another question. Someone knows where to find the old vbios (012.017.000.004.035992) for a test?

I just want to make sure its this one that you DL'ed http://www.mediafire.com/file/xjc63t...l/93vBIOSa.rar

Right now with 11.10 and the new vbios i'm running at about 60C +or- 2C. While in game I'm right around 90C... I still dont know if that is a normality for people but it has been for me for some time now. ( I use hwinfo ) ... you can look in your logs to see what the failure is... or use a program to view your error logs.

If I remember right its about 120C is the max and it shuts down at, I think, 110C.

try the restore like was suggested ( maybe to a point before you did any update to 11.10 or the new vbios, ifs its avalible), try a older catalyst.

ArScAn
11-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Just made a repaste following ValkeriFire post (Link (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/527654-newbs-guide-repasting-your-g73.html)) and it SOLVED my problems!!
Temps were 77ºC on idle and 95-105ºC on BF3. Now temps are 55-60ºC on idle and 80-85ºC on BF3!
I continue to use the last vbios (first page) and now will test Chastity's version with overdrive!!
Thank you for the replies!

Update: Just after the post I tested bf3 for some minutes and the pc frozen again :(
So I made a clean install of Win7 and everything else! Played for half hour and no freezes until now...

Dilanger
11-16-2011, 11:25 PM
The FFXIV and the return of my GSOD blues!

I have updated my Vbios to 93vBIOSa.rar. I did that a year ago and FFXIV started up with no problem and ran like a charm.

I didn't play FFXIV since I was in Iraq for a year. I return and updated my g73jh to bios 213 and the latest ATI drivers.

The laptop can play every game except FFXIV. It will crash on start up like it did before the Vbios update.

My question is, is there a new vbios update or did I just make a critical error by going to bios 213?

Is it really worth the trouble just to try out a game?

Second concern is my cd-rom drive. IT will read written DvD's but nothing else. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled my cd-rom drivers.

xeromist
11-17-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure about FFXIV since I don't own it, but what happens with the drive? Does it do the bit where it spins up a bunch of times like it's trying to read and then just fails or what? Have you tried cleaning it? After my brother came back from Afghanistan his laptop looked like it had been through hell and the sand pretty much killed his optical drive.

Dilanger
11-17-2011, 12:55 AM
yeah I have cleaned the drive used all sorts of cds and DVDs. It'll only read written/ burned media discs. It will also write blank ones. I was lucky to keep my laptop indoors throughout my deployment. It will spin for a second and the I'll hear the laser try to read/ seach for the disc. It will start making clicking noises..rev up..click a few time rev down..repeat.

Dilanger
11-17-2011, 10:48 PM
012.020.000.032.038352 bios version down loaded from many Gsod posts

or

012.017.000.004.035992 from tech powerup.com

http://http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/77021/Asus.HD5870Mobility.1024.100104.html

Dilanger
11-17-2011, 10:49 PM
012.020.000.032.038352 bios version down loaded from many Gsod posts

or

012.017.000.004.035992 from tech powerup.com

http://http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/77021/Asus.HD5870Mobility.1024.100104.html

Dilanger
11-17-2011, 10:52 PM
---bad post I answered my own question

jaygrae
11-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Alright, my tech knowledge is pretty high so I understand damaged ram/overheat ect but this one is confusing the crud out of me.

I recently purchased a G73jh and can play all my games ect fine. I read up on the new bios 211 to 213, so flashed that and then read up on Chastity's vbios. So did that as well.

Now, here's where it gets weird. I have NO Freezes/artifacts nothing if I STICK with the stock ASUS main site radeon drivers. BUT as soon as I try ANY other amd official driver(s) they install just fine and everything is good, UNTIL I play games. I get weird looking tears/flashes of randomly drawn lines. They blink coming and going but its highly annoying. They happen the WORST in starcraft 2 but rarely seen in OBLIVION.

I can overclock the card up to around 825/1050 and NO errors show up on my gpu burn programs, OCCT and msi kombuster. If I overclock to much errors pop so I know the software is working.

So my question is this; screwed up video card??? Or is this just the curse of the G73jh. I dont mind using the stock drivers but what in the heck happens when they are so old I cant play newer games???

Please any advice/help would be great. I called ASUS and they told me to only use the stock drivers. (but I read thru all these forums and it seems like everyone else was able to upgrade just fine)

Lost,
Jason :(

dstrakele
11-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Please any advice/help would be great. I called ASUS and they told me to only use the stock drivers. (but I read thru all these forums and it seems like everyone else was able to upgrade just fine)

That hasn't been my experience. On this forum it seems like everyone (both NVIDIA and ATI) is experiencing problems after upgrade.

EDIT: Case in point, see the post below. thersys states he upgraded to the latest drivers (i assume he means video drivers) and now experiences problems.

thersys
11-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Here is a question, I bought G73 (bestbuy version) nearly 8 months ago, I was using it with stock drivers so had no GSODs but last week I finally flashed the bios and the vbios, downloaded the latest drivers then whole games on my laptop started to have framerate problems. I was easily playing Modern Warfare 2, Mass effect 2, Starcraft 2 at Highest Settings but now i bearly see 15-20 fps. Have any idea what is causing this problem??

jojohnie86
11-18-2011, 11:19 PM
hi guys.i cant make my computer boot from the usb stick.i put on bios first boot option the usb stick but nothing happens.It starts windows normaly.any ideas?

dstrakele
11-18-2011, 11:29 PM
hi guys.i cant make my computer boot from the usb stick.i put on bios first boot option the usb stick but nothing happens.It starts windows normaly.any ideas?

Hi jojohnie86 - Tell us step-by-step how you created the bootable USB stick. I have a feeling something went awry in the procedure you followed.

gigispeed1332
11-19-2011, 04:11 AM
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1104483&pagenumber=1&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=#ReviewStart

Going to buy this laptop and just wondering after reading through alot of forums on the GSOD issues, along with overheating issues, could someone please explain what I should do.

Should i update to 211 bios, 213 bios? then update to vbios? Should i update to vbios than 211 or 213.... Will the system already have these updates because its been out for a while??

I'm just wondering what I will need to do here and what I should do.. I would really appreciate alot of help because I am a massive newb when it comes to this and I want to make sure if I buy this laptop, I do everything right.

Thank you

cejlud
11-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Gigispeed - 1. update bios 213 - 2. Vbios FLASH Update - 3. Now you can update latest AMD (ATI) oficial drivers. ///// For me works fine no more GSOD in games with new AMD drivers. I play all kinds of new games and np. Only have problem with Elder Scrolls Skyrim where i have random freezing!!!! DOES ENYONE ELSE HAVE PROBLEM WITH SKYRIM game? On G73J? I only hope that bethseda come with some patch or amd with new mobility drivers and problem will be solved soon. ...cos i really want play this game without "GSOD" freezing like every other game.

So...If i was you gigi i would chose G74 with Nvidia at a moment ... /// Can someone help me PLS with Skyrim freezing?

zhelev81
11-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Hello,

I want to update my Video drivers of my laptop Asus ROG G73JH but I can't use the latest from the ati site because i read that I have to update my vBios .

First i updated my Bios which is now :

look here : http://csmega-bg.com/server/screens/asus/IMAG0028.jpg

Also vBios is there but I never done updates for vBios so I want to know what is the latest update ,where I get it and what are the steps to install it safely.I am using now video drivers from 2009 - version 8.683.0.0

I want to update them because I am crashing on latest games like Need for speed the run ,

Any help ??

Tnx in advance .

g73jh
11-24-2011, 12:41 PM
I now use atiflash 2.0.1.14.I have a bootable usb and flashed g73 with it the first time, but if you use the right winflash and your laptop is stable you should have no problem flashing in windows.Most people will tell u to flash from a thumb drive or a floppy. So make your choice and GL.

zhelev81
11-24-2011, 10:06 PM
please tell where do I get the files ??

Edit : I tried everyhitng ,my bios is 213 my vbios is from that files v93 so i think is latest but it doesnt want to install the 11.11 drivers .

I unsinstalled the drivers ,run drivers sweeper and still doesnt want to install the new 11,11 drivers ...

what is the problem please someone to help here ....

:((((((

cejlud
11-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Gigispeed - 1. update bios 213 - 2. Vbios FLASH Update - 3. Now you can update latest AMD (ATI) oficial drivers. ///// For me works fine no more GSOD in games with new AMD drivers. I play all kinds of new games and np. Only have problem with Elder Scrolls Skyrim where i have random freezing!!!! DOES ENYONE ELSE HAVE PROBLEM WITH SKYRIM game? On G73J? I only hope that bethseda come with some patch or amd with new mobility drivers and problem will be solved soon. ...cos i really want play this game without "GSOD" freezing like every other game.

So...If i was you gigi i would chose G74 with Nvidia at a moment ... /// Can someone help me PLS with Skyrim freezing?

I found solution with skyrim freezing on other forum. If someone else has this problem. You should turn off antialising and vsynch. Work for me.

excursion
11-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Hey guys I think I made a big mistake,

I have updated my duel 5870 cards inside an alieware X17 R2 using this method, The instructions where perfect and worked right up to the point when I restarted my machine, now I cant even get the computer to boot up. it spins up but nothing displays on the screen. I cannot even access the BIOS screen.

Any help with this would be appriciated.

Regards,

Sphynx
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
The 1st file in the original post is the original beta vBIOS. The second one is a modded one by me to enable Overdrive in CCC. On my Driver & Application Page sticky, I have a 3rd which is my current revision that has more battery friendly settings and Overdrive.

Hi, so this is all exciting and seriously can't wait to try this out and fix my G73JH!! But just wondering so should I use the atiflash that comes with the "updated Win98Boot" or the file u posted for the atiflash?

I appreciate the help

perithimus
11-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Nevermind. I worked it out.

Aragorn
12-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Is there a ASUS certified repair or support shop in the Fremont/Bay area? I would rather pay someone to do that so that if they brick my machine they are responsible for getting unbricked.

xeromist
12-01-2011, 04:46 AM
BIOS updates are covered by your warranty. If you do it and it bricks then you can send it for RMA (in which case the nearest facility is in the bay area so it should be quick).

Aragorn
12-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Well what if my G73 is not in warrenty anymore. I didn't do the upgrade because all the game I was playing didn't need it, but now when I am playing Diablo 3 beta, the game just randomly shutdown my machine. I first thought it was over heating but I put in warning detection and they never went off. I had them warn me when the temp got above 95 C. So the only thing left to try is to updatethe graphics drivers but that would require a vbios update.

xeromist
12-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Sorry, I'm not really sure what ASUS offers for machines out of warranty since I haven't had any problems.

no1smb
12-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Hey any chance of getting chastitys vbios 0d2, all the links on both sites (notebook review) are no longer working

JRd1st
12-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Maybe the new forum wil have them when it's up.

kb0sdq
12-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Does anyone have the vbios with the od 93vBIOS_OD ? the link http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/93vBIOS_OD.rar does not work also sent pm to Chasity no response.
Doug

nerfer2
12-20-2011, 02:56 PM
I may do the vBIOS soon.

My machine is out of warranty, what do I do if it bricks?
What is the most common problem?
What issues usually cause problems, so I can avoid them?

I need an answer soon, so I need to keep this bumped.

nerfer2
12-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Also, if I don't update my BIOS, will there be a problem with the vBIOS flash?

Sgt.Killgore
12-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Does anyone have the vbios with the od 93vBIOS_OD ? the link http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/93vBIOS_OD.rar does not work also sent pm to Chasity no response.
Doug

I think this is what you are looking for...

http://www.mediafire.com/?xjc63tdnscvv4ul

It worked for me. I got it from http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/634168-g73jh-vbios-93v.html

I was having troubles updating ATI driver. I flashed to BIOS 213 and then flashed the Vbios with the instructions in this thread.

I uninstalled everything ATI and then booted in safe mode and ran driver sweeper and then crap cleaner on the registry.

Installing CCC 11.12 went off without a problem.

Thanks to all who started this post!!

kb0sdq
12-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Hello Sgt.
Thanks for the link but that is the unmodded version. Chastity had a overclocked version that is a dead link now. But no worries
I started using Sapphire Trixx it works on everthing except the gpu voltage even works the fans so that cool I run my video card at 825/1100 and so far real stable. Have a merry Christmas
Doug

rouch
12-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Marry me! This has fixed my problem and saved Christmas, it was a christmas miracle.

Paedric
12-29-2011, 07:18 PM
As a happy owner of a GSODing overheating G73jh, I've finally decided to update the bios and vbios to get rid of those. I'm planning on RMAing it soon anyway, so this will be serve as a good experience.

However, I've had a look at the last few pages, and I'm not sure if the instruction in the OP are still valid, since there seem to be a new bios version available.

Is flashing to Bios 213, then the vBios of the OP alright, or is there a new version required?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hafidh@ITS
12-30-2011, 03:58 PM
is there any other link to the file? It seems that I can't get the link to worked, thank you :)

nick
01-02-2012, 07:32 AM
I'm really confused when it comes to bios vs vbios!
I went to asus' download page and downloaded the 213 bios and installed it using WinFlash. However I ALWAYS get a GSOD when I play any games.

Did I install the bios update correctly? in this thread it seems no one is talking about asus' pre-installed WinFlash.

Also this thread was started in 2010, when I'm reading through this it is very difficult for a novice like myself to understand what is applicable to current versions of software/firmware.

I've included a picture of my bios.

Thanks for any clarification!

nick
01-05-2012, 02:32 AM
bump ^ Help anyone?^

DeltaActual
01-09-2012, 09:09 PM
@nick- this is your system BIOS and it is fine. But, you need to update your Video BIOS.

brettt777
01-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Okay, I upgraded the vbios with the one from this thread, and then updated the main bios to 2.13. All went off without a hitch. I am wondering two or three things though.
-Does it matter what order I update these bios' in? I did the vbios first because it seemed easy and worked fine so then I felt brave enough to do the main bios, which also went very well. On the main bios, I used Win flash instead of a bootable flash drive. Apparently it worked; CPU-Z shows bios version 2.13.
-When I finished the vbios at the DOS prompt, it appeared that the old and new bios versions were the same. Sandra shows the video bios version as 038352.001 . Is this the correct version or is there something newer?
I haven't had time to see if my GSoD issues are solved yet. I am just happy that the bios updates were trouble free. i would just like to make sure I have the latest and greatest versions.

yotam
01-11-2012, 05:10 PM
hello
i did the flash as the guide that post here and all did good
also i did the bios update to 213
My problem is when i am trying to upgrade my driver i get blue screen and i can't update my driver to the new driver from ati web site
i using right now the old driver that come with the computer

any one please help

SvenS
01-11-2012, 06:06 PM
i have the G73JW with a GTX260M.

there are a vbios for this?

Greetings

nick
01-12-2012, 11:01 PM
hello
i did the flash as the guide that post here and all did good
also i did the bios update to 213
My problem is when i am trying to upgrade my driver i get blue screen and i can't update my driver to the new driver from ati web site
i using right now the old driver that come with the computer

any one please help

Uninstall all ati drivers and clean the registry(i use CCleaner) then restart before you attempt to install the new ones.

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
03-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I have a g74sx. A few days ago I had a GSOD and had to reboot. I haven't had one since or before and I've been using my notebook extensively. Is this a sign/symptom I should be concerned about? I've experienced BSOD's but never a GSOD.

tobenutte
05-08-2012, 01:25 AM
I have had a G73 from best buy for almost 2 years, and just had the first few GSOD this past weekend. I followed the steps to upgrade bios and vbios and it worked without a hitch. so far so good no issues so far.

Bremerche
05-08-2012, 03:45 AM
I need help. someone tell me what i'm missing:
I apparently am afflicted with the two most common G73JH issues:
1) audio jack not detecting properly
and
2) GSOD/video artifacting and lockups
Since this thread is working to address the GSOD, i'll elaborate there:
I've tried all the available 'fixes'. I've updated vBIOS to version 93 as provided by 'Gary'. I've updated the BIOS to 209, 211, AND 213. I've run the drivers available from ASUS support site as well as versions 10.10, 11.1, 12.1, and 12.4 (current). no change.
I've re-installed the OS from Windows 7 HP, to Windows 7 Ultimate, no change.
The computer works fine when it's not doing any 3D calculations ... BUT ... when 3D is attempted... all bets are off.
Windows Experience assessment won't complete without a driver crash
World of Warcraft artifacts and crashes display driver
Starcraft 2 artifacts and crashes display driver

I'm pretty tech savvy, and this has me at a stand still.
HELP!
-C

xeromist
05-08-2012, 03:33 PM
It could be a deeper problem with the GPU. Did this start suddenly? How are your temps? Have you cleaned with compressed air?

If you have high temps despite cleaning then it might be time for a repaste if you're up for it.

Bremerche
05-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Purchased about a week and a half ago. (G73JH-BST7 refurb unit)

Temps look ok, last reading in Furmark (only runs ~3 seconds) looks to be 60 degrees. I'll try compressed air.

during normal operations (now that i've used it longer) the display driver is stopping 'and successfully recovering'. almost akin to a low voltage problem. AMD OC tool shows appropriate voltage options (.95 and 1.15). was going to try to Overvolt it to 1.2 to see if that helped (since i'm way under temp spec) any but can't find a way to trick it past the locked settings. running temp seems to be 51-53 degrees on desktop rendering.

better to opt for re-paste, or is discression the better part of valor (pursue a return :( )

really would like to keep the thing, it's got SOO MUCH potential!

appreciate the help.
-C

just a thought... I've not attempted the above testing with 'turbo' turned on. does that affect voltage regulation as well, could/should that affect it?
Thx again. -C

xeromist
05-08-2012, 09:20 PM
First, I wouldn't crack it open if you have a warranty of some sort. I assumed being an older model that it was out of warranty.

Did you confirm that the vbios did get updated? If it did and the thing is still having issues then I would just return it at this point. Even if you could get it working through further tweaking I have a suspicion what ever this is may have been why it was "refurbished" in the first place. Better to push problems back on the seller while you can and get a trouble free machine from the get go.

Bremerche
05-09-2012, 06:16 PM
yup, vBIOs update confirmed. even went from the v93 to the v93_od... well.. now i wait for ASUS to decide my mobile gaming fate! :)

thanks for the input!

as a general question (open to all). i see a fair amount of 'glitchy' issues with the G73, then lesser to the G74. I'm new to the G-Series culture, is this a known minefield? or are these predominantly anomalies?

Thanks again,
-C

xeromist
05-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Unfortunately no one can answer that. The problem is that happy customers don't go searching for an internet forum to compose an expletive laced post telling everyone how everything is working as expected. So you will find many complaints but that doesn't really mean anything given a large number of shipped units. ASUS doesn't publish failure/RMA rates so the only people that actually know don't talk about it.

I will say this: the most common complaints I've seen seem to stem from integrated peripherals so if you have a problem it's really going to depend how you use it as to whether it even bothers you. For example, if you generally use an external mouse then trackpad performance probably doesn't matter much.

Bremerche
05-11-2012, 08:39 PM
well. looks like i get to be introduced to the wild world of Asus RMA. Laptop off to the fixit farm. We'll see what they come up with.

Thanks for all the input.

-C

reifnotreef
05-16-2012, 05:54 AM
as a general question (open to all). i see a fair amount of 'glitchy' issues with the G73, then lesser to the G74. I'm new to the G-Series culture, is this a known minefield? or are these predominantly anomalies?

Thanks again,
-C

Well I'd have to disagree with the post above. Sure you wont see people saying "Everything works as intended with my laptop!" because no one ever posts that unless it's a review.

I will say my G73jh has had more problems than any computer I have ever owned, worked on or seen in my life.
But I've learned a lot from it, and love it to death. Sure I used to get GSODs every now and then, and I still get random lock-ups/freezes every once in a while.

But it's well worth it, even 2 years later!

helsvon
05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
not trying to necro this thread, but my HPUSBDisk.exe only gets as far as to warn me that my flash drive's contents will be deleted. I confirm it and it just crashes the applicaiton. Did I miss something? Afterwards, I know the drive is not formatted because Windows can't read the flash drive. Any ideas? I really need to fix this GSOD issue and can't figure this out.

dstrakele
05-20-2012, 06:39 PM
If I were experiencing this problem I'd:

1) Check the Windows System and Application Event Logs for Warnings and Errors that may point to a troubleshooting direction.

2) Try to successfully format the Flash Drive with Windows Disk Management. If that also failed, I'd try a new Flash Drive.

3) If Disk Management was successful, I'd try disabling any 3rd Party Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software that I've installed. They may be conflicting with HPUSBDISK.EXE.

4) Run CHKDSK C: /F /R from the Command Prompt launched to "Run as Administrator" to confirm your HDD and file system are sound, then redownload all the vbios update files to a new folder on C:.

5) I would install ThrottleStop. USB port failure when the CPU drops down to a lower power mode C-State is reported for some G73JH and JW systems. ThrottleStop is a workaround for this issue. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8943-G73-Freezing-Crashing-Issue-WORKAROUND-FOUND for more details.

Bremerche
05-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Might want to make sure your USB is also not partitioned. a lot of the cheaper USB vendors will soft partition a USB to show up as both a CDFS (CD) and Mass Storage Device, so that they can auto run their own backup software etc.

if it is partitioned in this way, manufacturer website usually has a 'partition delete' utility you can run on it.

if you get ultra desperate :) you could boot to a SARDU or Linux Live CD and format it FAT/FAT32 etc.

Good LUCK! (still waiting on RMA update from my G73, so a little jealous :) )

-C

WarSon
05-25-2012, 11:46 PM
it works! :D thanks alot!

lord_neno
05-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I Have a lot of GSOD with diablo3 (and vBios93) :(

DerpMcFlerp
05-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Do I have to update my BIOS first to do this? Also, does flashing my VBios formats my HD? Sorry, just got this laptop and I got this GSOD thing quite often. Well, system restoring helps at first, but now I'm just sick of this GSOD thing I just wanna get rid of it. And yeah it happens a lot when gaming. Oh, and there are random freezes, too. The sound loop and all. sigh

kiba
06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Do I have to update my BIOS first to do this? Also, does flashing my VBios formats my HD? Sorry, just got this laptop and I got this GSOD thing quite often. Well, system restoring helps at first, but now I'm just sick of this GSOD thing I just wanna get rid of it. And yeah it happens a lot when gaming. Oh, and there are random freezes, too. The sound loop and all. sigh
it is not reccommended that hou reflash your vbios without also flashing uour bios as the new vbios was meant to work with the new bios. I had all the problems you have before reflashing, and it now runs like a champ

mrogle
06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
I have the same proble. When i try to update to the newest vga driver (cataclyst 12.4) it doesnt work. The computers acts if there wouldnt be any driver installed. I have the vbios and bios flash. I also tried to uninstall my current driver and erase the last informations with the ccleaner, unfortunately with any success. This is unbelivible that a 2k laptopn doenst work, without a new vbios that makes a vga driver update impossible. This was definitely my last asus product. I think the programmes stoped their work with the g73 forward a long, long time :(

Matt932
06-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Hi brian my name is matt i tried downloading the files but i can even acces it caus eit says i have to buy a rar account i thought it was free
i wanna update my vbios cause i am overheating n my laptop shuts off i have a g73

kiba
06-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I think the programmes stoped their work with the g73 forward a long, long time :(

yes, this is because all issues with it were fixed a long, long time ago. if you follow the instructions in this thread, you will solve the issue, it works perfect for me and countless others.

netH
06-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Would you like to tell me how to check if I have v93 or v93_od ? in TechPowerUP GPU-Z it says bios version is 012.020.000.032.038352 (BR038352.001). Thanks a lot for response!

peitro
06-13-2012, 09:46 PM
@Chastity
Hi I tryed to flash the vbios ,but i get "error 0FL01" rom not erased ,any idea ?
my VBIOS is : 012.017.000.004.0359.A33G ,I think the problem is in: A33G

mrogle
06-14-2012, 05:36 PM
yes, this is because all issues with it were fixed a long, long time ago. if you follow the instructions in this thread, you will solve the issue, it works perfect for me and countless others.

So the newest Cataclyst driver works at your asus g73 ?

peitro
06-14-2012, 07:28 PM
@Chastity
Hi I tryed to flash the vbios ,but i get "error 0FL01" rom not erased ,any idea ?
my VBIOS is : 012.017.000.004.0359.A33G ,I think the problem is in: A33G

ok i solved it ,the prob was the locked vbios,just unlock it and flash.

Pietro

metalogik
06-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Hello. I'm new to these forums, but have owned a G73jh A2 for about 2 years now, and have had occasional GSOD problems. Having finally found what appears to be a solution here, I would like to try this fix, but am hesitant due to my general lack of technical knowledge. To put it another way, I'm scared to death that I might brick my cantankerous baby if I do something wrong.
My question(s): what kind of firmware maintenance should I do before/in addition to updating the vbios? For example, I see in a previous post that I should update my bios as well, but a couple of hours on the forum has failed to yield a link to that bios version (whatever it may be), or instructions on its installation. I keep seeing references to chipset updates, debates about the stability of different catalyst driver versions, exhortations to use driver sweeper and ati crap cleaner, etc, but all of the conversation seems to assume that I know why I need these things and what their effects on my comp's performance will be. The "drivers, apps, and how-tos" thread gives a wall of links with little to no description, and if there is any actual "how-to" it's buried in the 60+ pages of the thread. The "G73/74/53 series driver and application reference" thread is similar.
So what are the best-practices and order of operations to get my machine performing as intended?

Thanks in advance for any hand-holding. Obviously I need it! :p

PS: A locked sticky thread kept up to date by moderator would be incredibly helpful for this sort of thing, and apologies if something like that already exists.