PDA

View Full Version : G73Jh GSOD Vbios Update

Pages : 1 2 [3]

sicmofo
06-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Hello. I'm new to these forums, but have owned a G73jh A2 for about 2 years now, and have had occasional GSOD problems. Having finally found what appears to be a solution here, I would like to try this fix, but am hesitant due to my general lack of technical knowledge. To put it another way, I'm scared to death that I might brick my cantankerous baby if I do something wrong.
My question(s): what kind of firmware maintenance should I do before/in addition to updating the vbios? For example, I see in a previous post that I should update my bios as well, but a couple of hours on the forum has failed to yield a link to that bios version (whatever it may be), or instructions on its installation. I keep seeing references to chipset updates, debates about the stability of different catalyst driver versions, exhortations to use driver sweeper and ati crap cleaner, etc, but all of the conversation seems to assume that I know why I need these things and what their effects on my comp's performance will be. The "drivers, apps, and how-tos" thread gives a wall of links with little to no description, and if there is any actual "how-to" it's buried in the 60+ pages of the thread. The "G73/74/53 series driver and application reference" thread is similar.
So what are the best-practices and order of operations to get my machine performing as intended?

Thanks in advance for any hand-holding. Obviously I need it! :p

PS: A locked sticky thread kept up to date by moderator would be incredibly helpful for this sort of thing, and apologies if something like that already exists.

http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g73jh/

Here is the link for everything you might need. Updated Catalyst drivers can be downloaded from the amd website. in regards to performance issues, if you ask me, if it aint broke then dont fix it. If all games are working fine on your laptop and you dont run into an overheating gpu then i would advice against updating anything. but blowing some canned air into the vents every now and then to keep the temps down wouldnt hurt

Disane
07-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Hi there!

I believe I've made a post previously a few months ago. I've problems upgrading my ATI Catalyst drivers. I also experience missing letters when typing on the keyboard and the touchpad is useless.
I've just registered my notebook at asus.com and became a VIP member of something like that. Anyway I would really like to put an end to these problems, so I checked my BIOS and vBIOS yesterday:

BIOS ver. 211 (Outdated)
vBIOS ver 012-017-000-004-0359-A33G (Outdated)

And I have a m5870 P/N: 60-NY8VG1000-C14 (I believe this is the series that is very much affected by GSOD)

Interestingly, so far I have not had any problems with the stock drivers. No, GSOD at all. The only problem I have is that I'm unable to update my ATI Catalyst Drivers. Last time I got a BSOD when trying to update the AMD ATI Catalyst Drivers (sorry but I can't remember what the error message said, but I can remember that Windows Instantly rebooted my computer after showing me the blue screen message). After I've recovered from the faulty update, I lost my Catalyst Center as well. I can't launch my Catalyst center anymore, and I can't say which Catalyst driver am I running right now.

I can play Diablo III, StarCraft 2 without any problems. No overheating at all...
But when it comes to OpenGL applications even Matlab (at least the OpenGL rendering) doesn't work which I need for my work at the University.
I've tried installing RAGE which also failed to start (Tech4 launch engine gave me an error that some OpenGL module cannot be initialized). Need for Speed: The RUN also failed to start, Battlefield 3 as well (It seems all games which use Frostbite 2).
2 Weeks ago I've tried to install Max Payne 3. It kinda worked until I've started a new game from the game menu. In the options menu I couldn't change anything and the VRAM indicator showed 0 / 0

By the way the notebook is still under warranty if I'm right. The bottom of the case says that I've purchased it on 2011-01 and I have 24M Warranty.

Anyways, I want to know if there is an ASUS Service Center located in Austria/Vienna, where I could let someone update both EFI BIOS and vBIOS for me with full responsibility.
Cause I don't think I have the nerves to do it alone...

Disane
07-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Hi there!

I believe I've made a post previously a few months ago. I've problems upgrading my ATI Catalyst drivers. I also experience missing letters when typing on the keyboard and the touchpad is useless.
I've just registered my notebook at asus.com and became a VIP member of something like that. Anyway I would really like to put an end to these problems, so I checked my BIOS and vBIOS yesterday:

BIOS ver. 211 (Outdated)
vBIOS ver 012-017-000-004-0359-A33G (Outdated)

And I have a m5870 P/N: 60-NY8VG1000-C14 (I believe this is the series that is very much affected by GSOD)

Interestingly, so far I have not had any problems with the stock drivers. No, GSOD at all. The only problem I have is that I'm unable to update my ATI Catalyst Drivers. Last time I got a BSOD when trying to update the AMD ATI Catalyst Drivers (sorry but I can't remember what the error message said, but I can remember that Windows Instantly rebooted my computer after showing me the blue screen message). After I've recovered from the faulty update, I lost my Catalyst Center as well. I can't launch my Catalyst center anymore, and I can't say which Catalyst driver am I running right now.

I can play Diablo III, StarCraft 2 without any problems. No overheating at all...
But when it comes to OpenGL applications even Matlab (at least the OpenGL rendering) doesn't work which I need for my work at the University.
I've tried installing RAGE which also failed to start (Tech4 launch engine gave me an error that some OpenGL module cannot be initialized). Need for Speed: The RUN also failed to start, Battlefield 3 as well (It seems all games which use Frostbite 2).
2 Weeks ago I've tried to install Max Payne 3. It kinda worked until I've started a new game from the game menu. In the options menu I couldn't change anything and the VRAM indicator showed 0 / 0

By the way the notebook is still under warranty if I'm right. The bottom of the case says that I've purchased it on 2011-01 and I have 24M Warranty.

Anyways, I want to know if there is an ASUS Service Center located in Austria/Vienna, where I could let someone update both EFI BIOS and vBIOS for me with full responsibility.
Cause I don't think I have the nerves to do it alone...

UPDATE: I've just called the ASUS Service Hot Line in Austria. It appears that there is no Service Center in Vienna. I also received a confirmation that my notebook is still under warranty. The guy said I should do it alone and when done, after flashing the EFI BIOS, I should set the it back to factory mode. Is that alright? What do you guys think?
In which order should I flash my Notebook? EFI BIOS 211 to 213 and then vBIOS 0.120.017.xxx to vBIOS 012.020.xxx ?
Or, first vBIOS 0.120.017.xxx to vBIOS 012.020.xxx and then EFI BIOS 211 to 213 ?
Thank you for your answer in advance.

In the next few days I'll be backing up all my data and try to figure out how I'm going to do this. It would be a drag if the notebook would fail on me. I've got work to do on it, in the middle of july. I cant really afford a brick -> RMA :S

stmalk
07-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanx for software but I encountered another problem after installing this VBios. My ATI CCC doesn't save scaling setting anymore. I use external 27" Samsund LED panel with my ASUS G73JH and before upgrading VBios it worked on 1920x1080 perfectly. But now, I edit scale parameter, reboot my laptop and after rebooting I'm getting a small scaled desktop in the center again. And I always should go to CCC and to to scale settings, move them back and forth and after this everything goes full screen again.
I don't know why it's like this but I googled one guy who encountered the same problem with his ASUS 5870 GPU and he reflashed it using this http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/77021/Asus.HD5870Mobility.1024.100104.html

I don't know if I can do the same as I used VBios version from this thread. I'm afraid something can go wrong and kill my laptop.
What do you guys think?

and yes, my BIOS is 213

Randypants
08-07-2012, 02:40 AM
Can someone just please lend me assistance?
I've been trying to update my bios with the previous method listed in the forum and my USB drive that I just bought and it is write protected. I don't know how to word this but I just need some help because this tutorial lacks any in-depth information about fixing my vbios.

madmatter
10-09-2012, 08:46 PM
In the battery fix OD version of bios by Chastity does anyone know what files I need on the flash drive to perform the update. I cannot get this to work. Thanks for the help.

seastar
10-23-2012, 11:42 PM
...what to say... I've been experiencing intermittent issues with my G73JH, all related to BSODs and GSODs. I'm a gamer, which is why I bought a gaming laptop, so I'll be up-front and say this usually occurs in games; specifically, Diablo III and then Guild Wars 2.

With Diablo III, I eventually got it to work by reinstalling the Asus driver for my ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870. I already had the Asus driver, but I reinstalled it as it seemed to be having issues and I didn't want to risk a generic ATI driver. That worked for the few months I played that game.

With Guild Wars 2, it's been more...odd. The issue happens randomly and not when expected, meaning, it doesn't necessarily happen during graphic-intensive sequences or heavy-battle situations. Sometimes, I'm just running around clearing map and BOOM! BSOD. Arena Net tried to help - they told me that my driver was ancient and told me to get an updated one from ATI. I did.

All was well for about 2 months and then....GSOD. Twice yesterday. So I updated the ATI driver, which also happened to release an update yesterday. Catalyst Control Center had serious issues, so I deleted it and left the driver. All was well, again, and I played for several hours in intense story mode....

But I'd gotten an email from Asus by this time advising me to flash my BIOS. I stumbled on this thread (thank you, it is helpful) and tried this. I was golden for about 2 hours and then...no, not a BSOD or GSOD... I got an update, computer rebooted, and then windows explorer became unresponsive. Win 7 would just not boot up!

So I've restored to an earlier point in the day and it's running again. Redid the update and it booted. But I'm afraid to flash again. It seems odd that it would have caused problems hours later, though, so I'm curious what thoughts you all have?

I have run Malware and AV, both clean.

xeromist
10-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Doing a system restore won't revert the vbios so if you did the update then you are still updated. I would keep an eye on it and possibly set up some temperature monitoring to ensure that you aren't overheating.

warchicken
10-24-2012, 09:32 PM
...what to say... I've been experiencing intermittent issues with my G73JH, all related to BSODs and GSODs. I'm a gamer, which is why I bought a gaming laptop, so I'll be up-front and say this usually occurs in games; specifically, Diablo III and then Guild Wars 2.

With Diablo III, I eventually got it to work by reinstalling the Asus driver for my ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870. I already had the Asus driver, but I reinstalled it as it seemed to be having issues and I didn't want to risk a generic ATI driver. That worked for the few months I played that game.

With Guild Wars 2, it's been more...odd. The issue happens randomly and not when expected, meaning, it doesn't necessarily happen during graphic-intensive sequences or heavy-battle situations. Sometimes, I'm just running around clearing map and BOOM! BSOD. Arena Net tried to help - they told me that my driver was ancient and told me to get an updated one from ATI. I did.

All was well for about 2 months and then....GSOD. Twice yesterday. So I updated the ATI driver, which also happened to release an update yesterday. Catalyst Control Center had serious issues, so I deleted it and left the driver. All was well, again, and I played for several hours in intense story mode....

But I'd gotten an email from Asus by this time advising me to flash my BIOS. I stumbled on this thread (thank you, it is helpful) and tried this. I was golden for about 2 hours and then...no, not a BSOD or GSOD... I got an update, computer rebooted, and then windows explorer became unresponsive. Win 7 would just not boot up!

So I've restored to an earlier point in the day and it's running again. Redid the update and it booted. But I'm afraid to flash again. It seems odd that it would have caused problems hours later, though, so I'm curious what thoughts you all have?

I have run Malware and AV, both clean.

Did that, crashed to blue screen. Had to restore to an older version of windows, but my Bios is still 213 and vbios is still updated to 012.020.000.032.0383.G730

If you ever figure out ANY hd5870 driver that works, Ill take it I mean the driver that came with the system was made in 2009. I've heard that the 10.8 Catalyst Control center worked, but the only 10.8 I could find was for desktop and not the mobility version.

shortnstubby
11-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Sometime after a fresh reboot can be 10mins or 10 hrs I begin to get this weird pixelation that will eventually lead to a BSoD what does not make sense is that if I play a full screen dx9+ games it will never have an issue and will never crash. its only when im at a desktop using different programs or browsing the net. I have tried almost everything I can from running msi combuster for numerous tests, memtest 86 for a few hours, prime 95 for well over an hour even ran some video card memory test program. and all return back 100% fine. I have went as far as formatting and then doing a full system restore. but all of this seamed to start shortly after I brought the bios of the motherboard and gpu up to date. have tried all the gpu bios from this thread which lead to same result, and got the 213 bios off the asus website. I also have tried many different ati mobility drivers including the 10-8 that is recomended in this forum, the 12-8 and 12-10 as well, all lead to same issue.

The exact model of my laptop is the: G73JH-X2
http://www.microcenter.com/product/327059/G73JH-X2_Laptop_Computer_-_Matte_Black

Here are a few screen shots of what happens:

Thank you to anyone that can provide help. I am willing to try anything at this point.

shortnstubby
12-04-2012, 12:54 AM
After beating my head off the wall for basically 2 days straight (I finally got annoyed enough to track down this issue), I downgraded vbios, motherboard bios to stock, used a 2nd hard drive installed fresh copy of windows, installed only sp1, went and installed video drivers, opened browser and started to notice something that I could finally make happen every time. It can be seen here in this video Weird Blocks on mouse over links and text - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Eox4070to). I did a search for archived video drivers and came to notice someone with a different model 5xxx series ati card said they had issues (never stated specifics) on a 12.6 driver and reverted back to 12.4 well I had nothing to loose so went and uninstalled my current driver which was the latest driver 12.10, ran ati crap cleaner, and installed 12.4 series driver and bam no more black block(could this be the resolution to my weird pixels as well? lets hope so), so now I have re updated the vbios and motherboard bios to current versions and in almost 24 hrs no bsod, no weird pixels, seams all is good now lets just hope it stays this way. Thanks for all the help and being inspirational for me to finally dig though this and resolve the issue.

The site I found the drivers on was An archive of AMD Mobility Catalyst Windows 7 x64 drivers – PCR's notepad (http://notepad.patheticcockroach.com/1285/an-archive-of-amd-mobility-win-7-x64-drivers/)

Thanks again.

ancienthordes
07-03-2013, 08:05 PM
i really feel sad about you lappy condition.actually my problem was when i play games black screen and gsod appears.
so wat i did was simple updated vbios 93vbiosa and not chasity one.used pendrive made it abootable usb with help of rufus application.successfully flashed.with all my research i used ati mobility catalyst 12.3,i know its too old but hey u wanna comfort then u use this version.
please uninstall current ati catalyst and in safe mode do use driver sweeper again to remove long list ati files.i hope you know all these.
pardon my english

pish180
07-23-2013, 03:58 AM
Just did my vBIOS upgrade and so far... so good! I'm rather impressed.

I was having problems with updating the AMD ATI drivers on my G73JH. While playing Company of Hero's 2 (among other games) the laptop would insist on GSOD. I reverted back to OEM (Asus's website) and no more crashes. But this caused incompatibility with the new Logitech gaming software (which is required for alternate DPI settings on my mouse). The Logitech software would crash as soon as Windows 7 would load with the OEM ATI drivers. I updated the BIOS and no crashing where I could consistently get the computer to GSOD.... and much better performance!

==========
Company of Hero's 2 (COH2) Benchmark Comparison:
OEM DRIVERS pre-BIOS update (Low FPS, Max FPS, Avg FPS):
3.70 - 26.95 - 15.60

13.6 Beta DRIVERS and BIOS update (Low FPS, Max FPS, Avg FPS):
8.89 - 32.10 - 19.31
==========

cumberlandbm
07-28-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm a brand new owner to my first Asus laptop and going with the G73JH has been a rough road so far. However, after cleaning out dust in the fans, days of driver updates, and a few more for BIOS updates, it is now working perfectly. I've followed most of the threads offered through here and thought I would add to this thread in case people are wondering if this update is still current in the year 2013 (since most of these threads go back to 2010).

This is still the solution if you are getting freezes/crashes on your graphics card. I had three large problems with my laptop: 1. Dust clogged in fans resulting in 90+ degree temps on both GPU/CPU which resulted in a lot of random restarts, 2. Previous owner had the wrong display driver installed and reinstalling CCC helped move things along, and 3. Updating the vBios fixed the rest of the issues of random crashes, BSOD, and GSOD issues.

I looked everywhere to try and make sure this vBios version is the most up to date version and it appears it is. After trying it out, it works great.

QQallday
08-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Has anyone tried this fix with BIOS 209, does it also work so that I can update drivers? I'm too scared to update my BIOS for fears of bricking my computer.

kb0sdq
09-03-2013, 02:38 AM
I updated my G73 to bios 213.
I also updated the vbios. than I did a clean install of windows, never had a problem since,
Happy ROG_n

Doug

billyray520
10-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Today I updated my vBios to Chastity's OD2 version. All this time I was using OEM vBios and OEM drivers. I have resisted doing this since 2010, but finally I feel it must be ok. So, I am happy to report that my G73jh A1 with 8 GB Ram and 2 SSDs with BIOS 213, and Windows 7 64 bit works great with ATI latest drivers: 13-9 I tested HDMI port: works great like before, I tested blu-ray player on latest movies using Corel WinDVD PRO 11: works fine. Tested my games, still work normally. Everything works good, and I really like the way it can downclock now when in high performance mode, plus on battery it downclocks ever more than OEM, giving better battery life. Temps are improved too! I never did have BSOD or GSOD issues, but still I'm glad I did it! :o

invisible132
11-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Hello. I've updated vBios, but can't find a normal driver. Downloading from ati site is impossible. Can someone provide me a download link to latest stable drivers? thanks.

This Guy
01-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Ever since I flashed my vBIOS everything worked out perfectly up until a few weeks later I've been getting random crashes and BSOD's getting an error BCCODE 124. I'm not really sure what caused all this but whenever I startup after a BSOD the keyboard lights up then it doesn't show anything although I could see backlight from the monitor (might be GSOD's). It'd be lucky if I get through the windows startup because it'll crash eventually before reaching the desktop. Can anyone help me here?

streamingindie
05-17-2014, 06:57 PM
With all the potential of these laptops to be plagued with this same issue and have ASUS not handle this issue since 2010 is evidence that they don't give a crap about the users. I get better service from freeware Ubuntu.
I have reloaded drivers and crashed repeatedly.. the only way I had solved this was to remove and replace the display adapter drivers which always worked for a while..
Having used this machine for years now in this state as my primary machine for portable video editing, I have come to the conclusion that no matter how good the hardware is, with this careless attitude toward the needs of the user I will avoid any products with the ASUS logo.
I have wasted hundreds of man hours chasing shadows and bios issues that could have been solved on the support page years ago.
ASUS will never get my endorsement because of this.

todski
06-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Hi there, bit worried about the old bump but here goes:

I'm running a G73jh that's never had a catalyst driver update. I've tried running the latest catalyst driver update (14.something) and get a blue screen and have to revert to the 2010 version on the ASUS website to get the machine back to what it's used to.

Anyway, so I've found this fix and thread. All looked fairly simple. Checked my BIOS version: 211 so I thought 'great, no need to update that as it was tested on this version'

So next I downloaded the vBIOS 93 update rar and followed the instructions. Format check, fat32 check, msdos startup check, the three files onto thumby check, reboot check, boot from usb check.

THEN the problem:

On the instruction video, once thumby is booted, it goes straight to a dos prompt. When I do it i get a grey loading bar with the words 'windows is loading files' it loads up then i get a 'windows is starting' with the whirly red green blue yellow. then i get a cursor loading and an odd grey background. Then I get screen filling red letters saying 'ERROR' and a kindof top window bar saying 'cannot load c:\recovery.dat'

Nothing else happens and i have to hold power to restart. windows then loads normally off the hd.

I've tried several times with the different versions of the vbios93 rar, including the od version. always does the same thing.
gonna look for another thumby but i suspect i need to update the bios to 213. will that help?

thanks for anybody able to reply.

billyray520
06-09-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure you *need* to update you BIOS to 213, but I think it IS a very good idea to do that first. I know I didn't have any problem with the vBIOS upgrade using 213. 2nd, make sure you don't have any subdirectories on your flash drive (with the vBios I mean.) 3rd. you are correct, you should be looking at a MS DOS A:> prompt when it boots correctly. You might have to go into the BIOS (F2) then go to the exit/save tab, and you should have a boot device list. Select the flash drive to boot. That is when you can run the update. I recommend the OD2 vBios myself. It has all of the bells and whistles, plus it can be upgraded with the latest Catalyst drivers.

JeffF73
07-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Hello, I am new to the Asus world and wanted to say thank you for this, It worked great for me as I flashed bios to 213 along with vbios and all worked flawlessly. no more GSoD and games run better as well as the GPU has cooled down about 10 Degrees F.

RoG_Skipper
07-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Hello.
Me also, I used the OD2-Version and my GPU cooled down while gaming about 10 C! Before my temperature was ~80 C and now 70 C.
And before while doing nothing in energy saving mode, I got always about 60. Now I have less than 50!

Update: the BIOS Update did nothing.
Temps still the same while gaming.

JeffF73
07-21-2014, 08:31 PM
I reflashed with the OD vbios and opened ccc enabled overdrive and everything seems to be working properly. have not noticed a temp drop from the original vbios update let alone anything else yet. but all seems to be working fine so far as performance goes I am able to play games on higher settings with no problems. The only thing I was confused about is when I tried to install the actual software AMD Overdrive it would not take because it says my laptop does not have overdrive capabilities.
Thanks

p.s I would have used the OD2 vbios but the MD5 Checksum is not a match

Wargen56
08-09-2014, 12:36 AM
I've had this laptop for a while, was a hand me down from my sister, the GSOD problems have been happening for a long time and it seems like this is the only helpful thread i've seen, however i've never done this before, after downloading the .rar file, what do i use to open it, if anything. is there something im missing? or do i need to download a program to open it/extract the files needed. sorry for being so late on the issue, and thank you for any help.

JeffF73
08-09-2014, 02:42 PM
I've had this laptop for a while, was a hand me down from my sister, the GSOD problems have been happening for a long time and it seems like this is the only helpful thread i've seen, however i've never done this before, after downloading the .rar file, what do i use to open it, if anything. is there something im missing? or do i need to download a program to open it/extract the files needed. sorry for being so late on the issue, and thank you for any help.

Hello Wargen56
I will be glad to help you out here, I used a program called 7-zip to extract the files download location can be found here http://www.7-zip.org/ very easy to use and free, right click on the rar file that you have downloaded and choose "extract here"

QQallday
10-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Old bump, but looking for help regarding stable drivers. I've updated bios to 213, vbios to chastitys one, and am running latest drivers, which unfortunately cause my screen to flash black during gaming/browsing internet. Sometimes the gpu seems to give out and its a blackscreen and I have to hard restart. Anyone know the latest stable drivers? I'm on 14.4 currently.

Verdict
10-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Old bump, but looking for help regarding stable drivers. I've updated bios to 213, vbios to chastitys one, and am running latest drivers, which unfortunately cause my screen to flash black during gaming/browsing internet. Sometimes the gpu seems to give out and its a blackscreen and I have to hard restart. Anyone know the latest stable drivers? I'm on 14.4 currently.

That seems abnormal. The 14.4 drivers worked fine for me for a while. I am now on the newest beta driver.

I don't think thats the driver.

QQallday
10-23-2014, 05:57 PM
what are your system specs? are you using the latest vbios and bios? Im beginning to think it has nothing to do with drivers either, but i doubt
my gpu is dying...could it have something to do with openCL or something?

Verdict
10-24-2014, 06:08 PM
what are your system specs? are you using the latest vbios and bios? Im beginning to think it has nothing to do with drivers either, but i doubt
my gpu is dying...could it have something to do with openCL or something?

Which Chastity vBIOS are you using? The OD2 has a mismatched MD5, while the OD has proper MD5.

QQallday
10-25-2014, 01:01 AM
012.020.000 is the vbios im using. Im pretty sure its chastity's but im not sure if its OD2 version because I dont think i got it off this site as the link was dead. Regardless, my asus h73jh has started shutting down random 2-10 minutes after powering up. Does someone have the stock vbios in case everything i try fails so i can just reset everything to factory? Honestly if i cant play games on this **** can i at least browse the web godammit asus.

Does factory reset in bios reset vbios too? Kinda iffy about touching that even as a last resort because the last time i tried it it might have ****ed my system. Any help is appreciated.

And verdict if you could link me the proper vBIOS that would be great ill try flashing it if my computer doesnt die before it goes through, would be great

QQallday
10-25-2014, 01:03 AM
im also not quite sure what md5 means so an explanation would be great, ty

QQallday
10-25-2014, 01:05 AM
Checking my gpu temps and they are going through the roof over 100, which would explain the shut downs now. This didnt happen during my flickering screens, I guess the random shutdowns are breaking my fans too! How can i lower my temps before my gpu fries!

Verdict
10-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Checking my gpu temps and they are going through the roof over 100, which would explain the shut downs now. This didnt happen during my flickering screens, I guess the random shutdowns are breaking my fans too! How can i lower my temps before my gpu fries!

The very first post in this thread on page 1 should have the original vBIOS. I am not going to directly link it myself as I don't want to accept responsibility for any issues.

An MD5 is a method for ensuring the file is proper, on the first page, at the bottom - you will see Chastity vBIOS. Currently, the MD5 for the OD2 doesn't match, you can check this by DLing a free "MD5 Checker", its a long series of digits and letters that you check against the posters original MD5.

Finally, it seems heat is your problem - which usually isn't the fans, its the paste. From what it sounds like, you need to repaste your system and your shutdowns will stop. As will the flickering.

In 2d mode (outside of games), if you do not experience issues, it is more likely heat - as you said its over 100. 100 isn't too hot for the GPU but you're saying "over 100", you might be hitting thermal shut down on the CPU or GPU.

This is a repaste guide, do so at your OWN risk or contact an ASUS repair center.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/613570-g73-jh-jw-disassembly-repaste-guide.html

QQallday
10-30-2014, 07:46 AM
So the problem got so bad that i couldnt open my laptop and it kept shutting down after a few minutes, and i think this led to fan problems. I held down the power button for a minute and tried reopening again, reinstalled drivers, and everything seemed to run smoothly. 2 day since update, no more flashing black screen when browsing, but its recurring when full screen gaming again (TF2/CSGO/Dota2). Temps are fine. No idea whats causing this but i doubt its hardware, probably something to do with drivers/software not working well with the newest vbios/bios. Anyone figure this out?

And thanks for the help verdict ill check out the md5....

QQallday
10-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Okay so i did not check MD5 but i am pretty sure i used chastitys vbios original, the one listed in the mediafire link under point 3. Should i be using one of the updated vbios's instead? Are they more stable? I assumed they only had extra features that werent necessary.

Verdict
11-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Okay so i did not check MD5 but i am pretty sure i used chastitys vbios original, the one listed in the mediafire link under point 3. Should i be using one of the updated vbios's instead? Are they more stable? I assumed they only had extra features that werent necessary.

To rule out any problems, try flashing to Gary's VBIOS (officially supported one).

danemorgan
11-05-2014, 02:12 AM
thanks your info for vbios update ;)
http://green101.cf/1/g.png

billyray520
11-06-2014, 12:44 AM
For the G73jh with the ATI gpu:
I have the OD2 vBIOS and the BIOS version is: 012.020.000.032.038352
The OEM vBIOS version is: 012.017.000.004.035992

The MD5 checksum number for OD2 (the latest version) was updated (but not in this thread unfortunately)

Note:
I delved into the MD5 discrepancy further and found this post (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/620683-g73-jh-vbios-overdrive.html) for Oct. 2011 (much later than the quote at the beginning of this thread):

Thanks for the mirror but the MD5 for that file is 49E9CAFCCD83F36A71641C8194B68C07 Never mind, I found this post DONT USE The Rage ATI DRIVERs Per Bethesda (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/615826-dont-use-rage-ati-drivers-per-bethesda-2.html#post7988463) and Chastity said it was normal.
I have updated the bios and it worked.

So Chastity updated the Hash to the above number for OD2. See Post #1 on this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference/page121).
But she calls it "Modded v93 vBIOS with lower timings for battery life (updated)" instead of OD2

Thanks to Verdict for making me aware of this issue! ;)

Aaron M.
12-12-2014, 09:11 PM
i have used the BIOS provided in the RAR file and i still get crashes randomly even if i just turn it on sometimes it just freezes and stops and alot of times i get gray stripes across my screen which i assume is what GSOD means does anyone know whats wrong this is what i flashed with these items on my USB Drive the win98boot, atiflash, BR38352.001, fix_od.rom, updateod, and VFlash and i already used the HP USB Tool

Aaron M.
12-12-2014, 09:59 PM
also i dont know if you could help me with this but when i try to install Intel Turbo Boost it says my system does not meet the requirements Windows 8 home Prem 64 bit activated Asus G73jh

Aaron M.
12-13-2014, 12:56 AM
i have some more information this started happening after i reinstalled my OS and installed Realtek but i need Realtek for my Heaphone jack and subwoofer to work correctly are there any replacements i could use instead of RealTek?

QQallday
12-25-2014, 09:46 PM
i have some more information this started happening after i reinstalled my OS and installed Realtek but i need Realtek for my Heaphone jack and subwoofer to work correctly are there any replacements i could use instead of RealTek?

Hi Aaron,

I'm having the same problem too. I uninstalled realtek drivers to test/downgraded to stock audio drivers but problems persisted, so I don't think its realtek audio driver problems. I'm using the latest realtek drivers.

I'm noticing massive flickering in certain games (vertical gray/colored stripes) and I'm not sure if this is a monitor problem, driver/gpu problem, or something else - my RAM might be faulty, does this cause these problems?

I'm running the latest vbios, bios and the latest drivers(14.12 catalyst omega). Also, does using chastitys OD2 vbios automatically downclock when gpu not in use? Would this mean that my power supply might be faulty/not enough so that getting a new adapter could fix my display problems? I'm not using batteries.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

kgetting
03-05-2015, 02:53 PM
I tried following the instructions as explained in the video.. But when I boot up to the USB drive, all I see is a blinking cursor. No "c:\" and I cannot type anything. Also, why haven't they come up with an easier way to install new video bios? ASUS has an easy utility now to upgrade your bios.

kgetting
03-06-2015, 01:33 AM
I was able to load with these instructions (much improved): http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?774-G73jh-vBios-update-tutorial-for-GSOD-matter