PDA

View Full Version : G73Jh GSOD Vbios Update

Pages : [1] 2 3

Brian@ASUS
09-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks to Gary key we now have a GSOD fix for the G73 Vbios update. Follow these instructions.

This solution is to fix the GSOD problem that has been reported. It is provided as is and will only be supported by yours truly until officially released on our support site. If you are not comfortable flashing the vBIOS on the G73Jh and have a GSOD issue with drivers other than those at the ASUS support site then I highly suggest you contact our Service group to arrange a RMA. Although every precaution has been taken to ensure the safety of this flash, there is always the possibility of a failed flash due to power outage, hardware modifications to the unit, or simply bad luck.

That said there are three compressed folders within the downloaded file - 93vBIOSa.rar (http://www.mediafire.com/?xjc63tdnscvv4ul). The fine people at HP produced an excellent USB Disk Tool that allows you to create a bootable USB Flash Drive and this program is located in the HPUSBDisk.rar folder. In order to create a bootable drive you will also need the required DOS files and the great personnel at Microsoft provided the files in the Win98boot.rar folder. Extract both folders to your hard drive and open the HP USB Disk tool and follow the instructions to create a clean bootable flash drive. Additional instructions on how to do this are easily available via Google. After creating the bootable flash drive (FAT32 is the safest option) then you will want to extract the three files listed below to this drive.

For those of you who already have a bootable USB Flash Drive then you will want to extract the atiflash.exe, BR3852.001, and Vflash.bat files to this drive. Now you are ready to wave bye bye to the GSOD blues.

1. Insert your bootable USB flash drive with the 93vBIOS.rar contents extracted on to it.
2. Reboot and quickly start tapping the Delete key to enter the BIOS. You will want to navigate to the Boot section of the BIOS and then change the Hard Drive boot settings on Option 1 to your Flash drive. Exit the BIOS while saving the settings and the unit should boot of the USB drive now.
3. Once you have booted off the USB drive, simply type VFlash and you should see a flash completion screen in a couple of seconds. Remove the flash drive and power down the system.
4. Wait ten seconds and then power up the system and enter Windows, hopefully without any GSOD problems.
5. I highly recommend BIOS 0211 or above with this fix as the vBIOS was certified on BIOS 0211.
6. Although they are rarely mentioned, a big thanks to the beta testers (Chasity, etc) and our engineers/product managers in Taiwan for their dedicated attention on this matter.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact me. If this fix proves successful for you then it would be nice to hear it but more importantly if it did not work then post it here.

we have created a video for you to follow step by step on updating your VBios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPte3QO_L4w

Updates-
1. AtiFlash.exe updated for users having issues with previous version.
2. This vBIOS works with driver sets 10.1~10.8 and should work with future releases unless the driver base code is changed again.
3. Updated Download Site - http://www.mediafire.com/file/xjc63t...l/93vBIOSa.rar (http://www.mediafire.com/file/xjc63tdnscvv4ul/93vBIOSa.rar)

Another update-
Thanks to Chastity, there is now an unofficial overdrive version that allows your G73jh to take advantage of ati overdrive! Thanks Chastity! (note-the overdrive update is not supported by ASUS and overclocking your G73 beyond its limit may void warranty. update at your own risk!)

http://donotblame.us/stuff/93vBIOS_OD.rar

MD5 Checksum: 1B8342E01A80267FEAFC8EE8BD99CE72
SHA-1 Checksum: 5C84D94C3ECBAB4FC443A0296AF39A1FF4E16B38

I wanted to add that there is an updated version with improved battery life settings

http://donotblame.us/stuff/fix_od2.rar
MD5 Checksum: 62675869EDFFA9026900E7938E9AA20C
SHA-1 Checksum: BDB632A597AC0E86EC11B8582638201F3E78770Chttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPte3QO_L4w

Brian@ASUS
09-04-2010, 07:04 PM
tested with furmark and confirmed 0 issues!

NGX
09-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Right on, the peeps over at notebook review have been excitedly waiting this for some time.

MattL
09-05-2010, 02:44 PM
After flashing this new vbios I've had no troubles.

Pyro411
09-08-2010, 03:15 PM
So far so good, only issue was WGA popped up on me due to me forgetting to set SATA operations back to AHCI after the flash, other than that all is good.

fr0g
09-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Bought my G73 a week or so ago, and was plagued with GSOD. Found this page via Google. I have just finished flashing BIOS and VBIOS. Seems ok so far. No crashes in CS4 and Bioshock (which is where I started having probs). One point, I spent a while trying how to figure how to boot from usb...in the boot options menu... Just to be clear, the option is on the save and exit screen :)
Anyway...so far so good, cheers.

MJonkers
09-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Any idea when it is placed on the support page of asus? I can use my laptop with original driver from asus but not with ati drivers, it results in GSOD and strange hanging sounds.

Gr Marc

Brian@ASUS
09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Any idea when it is placed on the support page of asus? I can use my laptop with original driver from asus but not with ati drivers, it results in GSOD and strange hanging sounds.

Gr Marc

try using the new gsod fix

Linkkus
09-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi, I have the A2 model. Just tried the vBios fix. It was much easier than expected :)
Next thing was installation of ATI 10.8 drivers.
NO PROBLEMS!
I used to have the GSOD in ~1 min (with other but ASUS drivers). After a fix, I made few minutes test (had a lack of time) with new ATI drivers and with no issues. Hope it's a true g-bye to "GSOD blues" :)
Thank You, guys

Asusairwolf
09-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Can i burn these files to a cd and reflash from the dvd drive? Thanks in advance

Jason

warhead
09-23-2010, 03:10 AM
I was looking forward to having my problems of the past three months finally being addressed. I love this laptop, and use it as my primary workstation. Unfortunately, 211 , downloaded directly from Asus website, and following this kind advice, resulted in a non-functioning G73. Flash went through fine, shutdown, never came back on. Tried letting it sit overnight without the battery in place, no joy. No POST, no Power light from AC, nothing. Tried the pinhole reset on the bottom, pulling the HDD and RAM out and reseating, nothing. Is there no option for BIOS recovery on this thing?

Thanks ASUS for any assistance, even it it means pointing me to RMA

Brian@ASUS
09-23-2010, 04:32 AM
did it stop working after the vbios update or the bios update? these are 2 separate items

eamonn
09-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Using the G73JH-RCNX09 (Bestbuy model) here, and was on the stock drivers without ever a single GSOD, or any other issue.
Upgraded to the 10.8 drivers when trying out the Final Fantasy XIV beta, as it wouldn't load with the stock drivers. After that I started getting GSODs in there, and in Starcraft 2 which had worked fine before.
Reverting back to the stock drivers fixed the problem, but of course I could load up the FFXIV beta anymore.
Found this post, updated the Bios, then the vBios, and tried with stock drivers, no problems.
Upgraded to the 10.8 drivers, and haven't had a single GSOD in the 2 weeks or so.
Been playing Starcraft 2, FFXIV beta, Civ 5, all without issue.
Thank you for the fix! :)

warhead
09-23-2010, 01:01 PM
did it stop working after the vbios update or the bios update? these are 2 separate items

Bios update from here: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us chose my model, clicked BIOS, saw that there was a 211 at the top and ran it. I had done this before when 209 came out without any problems. It also did the 'won't power on thing, but somehow I got it to power up by pulling the HDD, RAM, etc . This time, however, it's not cooperating. Not even the AC active light is lit when plugged in.

Thanks for the reply.

w

dajoola
09-25-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm getting stuck somewhere between steps 2 and 3. I (think) I made the bootable flash drive correctly, then rebooted, then hit delete like crazy during reboot, and the BIOS screen came up. Made the changes on option 1 to make it my flash drive. Saved changes and exited. Then I get an old school dos prompt with a blinking cursor waiting for me to type something:

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
(c) Copyright Microsoft Corp. 1981-1998

c:\> [blinking cursor]

What do I type? I tried typing VFlash like the instructions say, but it said "Bad command or file name" and just gave me back the blinking cursor.

jeprira
09-25-2010, 12:10 PM
looks like c: is your hard drive and your USB should be something else.... if you type "dir", do you see a list of files one of which is vflash? I think you need to type the letter of your USB key followed by a colon, "E:" for example

TayCole
09-25-2010, 01:52 PM
I was playing a lan with a few people from school when i first encountered a GSOD the laptop was about a week old. I got a purple screen with i think it was vertical lines. didn't know what the error was never read up on GSOD before so i just though the game had glitches causing the laptop to crash, i force restarted by holding the power button for a few seconds, the computer was up and running fine for about another week. then last night a got another GSOD while playing Crysis, it was the same purple GSOD. i wondered what was going on. I force restarted again seeing as it had completely frozen. when the laptop had started up and gone into widows i got an orange colored GSOD with vertical lines. I had to force restart again. This time when i hit the power button after the GSOD that i had restarted from i got a completely black screen, nothing on it at all. The lights came on the keyboard light and caps and num lights come on and then go off but all the other lights stay on. this is usual at boot. But i had nothing on screen. I created a bootable flash drive with the files you have provided i have tested it out on another pc i have that works, the flash drive boots into dos and i can run the vflash command which obviously would give me a adapter not present error because the computer the flash drive was tested on didn't have a ATI Hd 5870 like the g73 did. I tried putting in the bootable flash drive in to the g73 and then starting up the computer using the power button then right after the lights went on holding the ESC button which should have brought me in to the boot device selector??? Am i correct? i have tried every single move on the arrows (none down, 1 down, 2 down, 3 down, 4 down, 5 down, 6 down) Nothing seems to boot into the flash drive. there is not activity on the LED indicator of the flash drive, So technically i'm trying to Blind flash. If you could help me out in any way at all that will allow me to boot into the flash drive to be able to flash the new vBios or to fix the problem i am having now i will be so so so so so so grateful. Please help. Btw my Bios is on 211

IcePanther
09-26-2010, 09:10 PM
@dajoola :
Did you copy the three files (VFlash.bat, atiflash, and the vBIOS itself) to the USB device after running the HP tool ?
The C: prompt seems normal to me (windows automatically assigns C: to the boot drive -except for floppy disks, AFAIK), it's what I encountered when trying to flash the vBIOS, but the files appear to be missing, in your case. You could use the dir command, as jepira suggested, to see if they're in here.

My update results, as we were told to report :
The vBIOS update has fixed random crashes (green screen with stripes, hanging sound) while playing Fallout 3 on my machine with the newest mobile drivers (10.8) from ATI, so it seems to work, even if I didn't encounter GSOD's while running furmark before or after installing it. My BIOS is 211.

jeprira
09-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Sorry, my reply was a bit quick. I don't have my G73 with me so I can't do it myself, but if you google through notebookreview forums, you'll see some guides on blindflashing.
I can't remember which key brings the boot menu up... isn't it "delete" and not "esc"?

For myself, BIOS 211 and vbios update have fixed all issues with my G73. Only thing remaining is high GPU temperatures but only a GPU repaste will fix that and I'm waiting to see if the situation evolves before sending to RMA due to my low trust on Asus RMA in France. Reports are quite random, some people are happy, others live a nightmare... so I hang on until I really have to send it in.

EDIT: it is ESC... that you have to hit.

Try another USB stick, perhaps.

How to blind flash guide (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/492039-help-i-bricked-my-g73-vbios-6.html#post6647309)

Krupp
09-27-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm having a problem with the new vflash update and I'm still getting the GSOD. Pasting a post I made at notebookreview.com

This first occurred when trying to play Final Fantasy XIV.

G73jh-b1
Already have tried: (These are current settings right now):
93Vbios fix
211 Bios Update
10.8 ATI mobility installed

I've already tried reinstalling all of these without positive results.
The GSOD has expanded from the game to occurring during stress and benchmark tests. It would crash during FurMark and ATI Tool tests. The screen is also flickering once in awhile.

The running temperature is between 68-73 degrees Celsius. Clock goes 405/1000 to 700/1000 when playing a game. I'm not sure what is causing the problem or how to fix it. Any help would be great! Thanks!

TayCole
09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Nah i tired that with your bios and with ziddy's but it doesn't seem as if the laptop is actually booting. When teh hardrives are in it doesn't show activity that it is actually booting? So maybe my main bios not vbios is dead? is there any way to recover that ?

pawntec
09-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Thank you very much it worked it's only been 24hrs but i was playing about 4-5 hours straight in cod:waw so we'll see once i play an directx10 or 11 game. but other then that it hasn't got the GSOD. thanks again.....-=peace=-

Hikarusan
09-29-2010, 07:38 AM
So do I only need to do these Bios Firmware update if I have to upgrade my drivers, or will ASUS provide a driver that is compatible with the new games? From reading these post look like flashing the firmware is dangerous.

jeprira
09-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Flashing firmware always has some risk, but it is not a huge risk if you follow the instructions.

At this point, there is nothing from Asus (unless they reply to this post...) saying they will keep updating the drivers.

So, right now the only option is the vbios fix. I've done it. Works very well. Running 10.8

Keep in mind that the vbios changes some important things about the way the GPU works. It's advised that everyone does the vbios update to avoid future problems.

If you have no issues, then wait until you do GSOD and then do it...

valdinekayne
09-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Can someone please explain to me this step by step how to do it. i know it has been explained, but when i plugged my Flash Drive in, i only get a black screen with a blinking icon after the start up "Asus" screen. i dont know what im doing wrong. so pls someone help me.

Fawkes
09-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Can someone please explain to me this step by step how to do it. i know it has been explained, but when i plugged my Flash Drive in, i only get a black screen with a blinking icon after the start up "Asus" screen. i dont know what im doing wrong. so pls someone help me.

Yeah i got that to. Just press the ESC Key when booting up, quickly, then it will ask you from what device or i/o you want to boot, select the usb. Then apply the standard procedure.

valdinekayne
09-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah i got that to. Just press the ESC Key when booting up, quickly, then it will ask you from what device or i/o you want to boot, select the usb. Then apply the standard procedure.

Yeah i did that, and it givs me the Microsoft...C>: w/e prompt, though i chose the "boot" from "ext. hard disk" that i am using for this procedure. idk what i did wrong there.

IcePanther
09-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Yeah i did that, and it givs me the Microsoft...C>: w/e prompt, though i chose the "boot" from "ext. hard disk" that i am using for this procedure. idk what i did wrong there.
This seems normal. Did you try typing "VFlash" (without the quotes) and pushing enter ? If so, did it do something or not ? If it did nothing, then, it's not normal.

valdinekayne
09-30-2010, 05:39 PM
This seems normal. Did you try typing "VFlash" (without the quotes) and pushing enter ? If so, did it do something or not ? If it did nothing, then, it's not normal.

it did do something, but in the end it said something about an error. this is for windows 7 right? the win98boot thingy too?

valdinekayne
09-30-2010, 07:15 PM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6222/img0016zh.jpg

this is what i got after i did the VFlash, just to let you know. did i do it right? or is something wrong?

IcePanther
10-01-2010, 08:20 AM
The win98 boot thing is in fact a mini-windows 98's DOS mode. It is an independent system and boots on its own so it's completely unrelated to Windows 7, as would, for instance, booting on a Linux CD would be.

It seems that an error occurred during the flashing process, which failed to erase the vBIOS.
Some people (http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60473) say it can be a BIOS problem. Is your BIOS (not vBIOS) version 211 ? Brian@Asus said it was recommended to use this version to flash the vBIOS in the first post of this thread.
Other threads (and the one I linked, too) suggest using -pa instead of -p 0 (as you see in the command line when you executed the VFlash command), but I can't advise for or against it, since I don't know the documentation for atiflash.exe. Maybe someone else will be able to help you more.

valdinekayne
10-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Apparently my bios is 211. gonna try the reboot again and update what happens. =)

valdinekayne
10-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Well, i even tried instructions from here (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/492354-all-g73jh-problems-solutions-here.html). But i still get that error. idk what im doing wrong. even checked out the link you are doing. But any help is appreciated at the moment.

efrain_nges
10-15-2010, 05:30 AM
Hello everyone,

I bought an ASUS G73JH one month ago, In these days I've been having a problem every time I open more than 2 PDF files, play any game or even working with AutoCAD 3D, the computer's screen turns black however everything is turned on (keyboard, HDD, etc.) What should I do? My laptop has BIOS 209 preinstalled. Moreover, I would like to know which is the safest way to update it to the BIOS 211? Would this vBIOS update fix my problem? Or should I send my laptop to the RMA? Which I would prefer to avoid because I've read that it takes many months and not always with the desirable results.

Thank you in advance.

Brian@ASUS
10-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Put a video of the Vbios flash process

69_Goat
10-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Nice vid, Brian.

Should be helpful for people with this problem.

The first thing I noticed was the Lambo thumb drive. lol

donludovit
10-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Hello, I have G73Jh-TY085V and I must using old asus provided drivers, cause any other causing BSOD - "computer was shut down to prevent damage", or something like this...I using Bios 209, cause when I upgrade to 211 somthing was wrong, my computer after restart show my battery is 100% charged and calculating time to using laptop on battery from 100% but in fact battery have only 60% and when they showing me I have 40% battery laptop just shut duwn, cause battery was empty, but laptop dont recognized that.....so I must downgrade back to Bios 209, so is this vbios update only for 211?...and one more question, probably when will be this vbios update officialy relased on asus support site?..thx

Spunkgamer
10-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Hello, I have G73Jh-TY085V and I must using old asus provided drivers, cause any other causing BSOD - "computer was shut down to prevent damage", or something like this...I using Bios 209, cause when I upgrade to 211 somthing was wrong, my computer after restart show my battery is 100% charged and calculating time to using laptop on battery from 100% but in fact battery have only 60% and when they showing me I have 40% battery laptop just shut duwn, cause battery was empty, but laptop dont recognized that.....so I must downgrade back to Bios 209, so is this vbios update only for 211?...and one more question, probably when will be this vbios update officialy relased on asus support site?..thx

When you start you laptop spam the F2 button and when it enter bios setting sceen it will show what bios you are running at this point in time the 211 is the top one but some are running the 209 the 211 changes how the fans run a little better imo and the vbios is needed to run anything other then the one video driver on the asus site. I do not think that the vbios will make to a offical release but it is put out by Gary Key from asus and it stops gsod and allows the use of ati's 10.8 video driver which you can download from www.ati.com as for when the pc shuts down in battery mode it depends on what setting you are using on laptop like high performance vs battery saving mode which can be changed by pushing the function key and the space bar FN+spacebar hope this helps.

Chastity@ASUS
10-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Just wanted to pop in and mention that if you need more information about flashing your vBIOS, you can click on the link in my sig and review the giant thread over at NBR about it, plus check out other options that are available. :)

efrain_nges
10-17-2010, 05:09 AM
Hi,

I updated the vBios, but after have installed the ATI drivers 10.8 the Catalyst Center doesn't recognize the GPU, it says that it is not supported. What should I do? Did I miss something? My G73JH has the v211 BIOS. Moreover my video problems remain equal or worse. Every time I run a game the screen turn off and I have to reboot the computer. Please help me, I really need my computer for the school projects mainly.

Thank you.

Chastity@ASUS
10-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Uninstall all things ATI, reboot. If you have Driver Sweeper, use it to clean out ATI Drivers. Then run the 10.8 installer, and only install the driver under a Custom install. Reboot, and then install the other items you want.

efrain_nges
10-25-2010, 04:03 AM
Hi there,

Does this vBios update void the laptops warranty?:eek: How can I downgrade to the original vBios of the laptop?:(

Chastity@ASUS
10-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Why would Asus put out an update that would void your warranty?

Brian@ASUS
10-25-2010, 04:51 PM
nope it wont void warranty. just follow the video guide, we recommend using the 209 bios

Spunkgamer
10-25-2010, 05:36 PM
nope it wont void warranty. just follow the video guide, we recommend using the 209 bios

Why 209 bios and not the 211?

Brian@ASUS
10-25-2010, 05:45 PM
im just told 209 works better. i believe they are coming out with a better and newer bios than the 211

M!tch
10-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Thank you Brian, for this gsod fix.

Ryenjo
10-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi, i've just purchased the G73JH-X3, and read everything about the GSOD problems. Got a little bit scared though, but with the guides and videos, I decided that it would be better to update the video card driver and the vbios. Brian said that the 209 seems to be working better, since my G73 came with the 209 bios, I shouldnt update it?
I mean, the steps I should follow now are:
1-Update the vBios
2-Update the BIOS
3-Update the CCC to 10.10 ?

Tought I'd had to update the BIOS first, then the vBIOS, can someone tell me exactly which steps I should follow?

Thanks for the attention.

Spunkgamer
10-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi, i've just purchased the G73JH-X3, and read everything about the GSOD problems. Got a little bit scared though, but with the guides and videos, I decided that it would be better to update the video card driver and the vbios. Brian said that the 209 seems to be working better, since my G73 came with the 209 bios, I shouldnt update it?
I mean, the steps I should follow now are:
1-Update the vBios
2-Update the BIOS
3-Update the CCC to 10.10 ?

Tought I'd had to update the BIOS first, then the vBIOS, can someone tell me exactly which steps I should follow?

Thanks for the attention.

Basicly what Brian said is update vbios stay with bios 209 uninstall ati driver reboot install ati 10.10 set.

Thai09
10-26-2010, 01:40 PM
im just told 209 works better. i believe they are coming out with a better and newer bios than the 211

This is hillarious!

I upgraded BIOS from 209 to 211, and now it seems the 209 was better?

I only play Flight Simulator X, an outdated code, a monstrous hog, which uses the CPU more than the GPU, and IMO the stock ASUS driver works OK, with temps @ 75 to 80 Celcius.

Im located in hot and humid Bangkok, so these temps might be higher than usual...

Question: Will there be any benefit in flashing the vbios and upgrading to 10.10 temps wise?

Or should I wait for something showing up officially at the Asus Support Site?

Thanks

Ryenjo
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Basicly what Brian said is update vbios stay with bios 209 uninstall ati driver reboot install ati 10.10 set.

So, should I uninstall the ATI drivers before or after I flash the vbios? Im using the 9.7 CCC at the moment.

Chastity@ASUS
10-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Flash the vBIOS before you change any drivers.

dr1ss
10-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Hello guys, I've a G73J too (the one with 6GB RAM and the 1600px wide screen)

Here is some things u need to know :

1- I get purple stripes screen while playing Battlefield Bad Company 2... And it seems like it's the only game that does that (and it's my favorite :()
2- I've never flashed my G73 and never updated any driver
3- I've the 209 BIOS

So here is my question... is this normal ? having this problem with the original drivers/bios ? Should I flash the VBIOS and/or update my VGA drivers ?

Thank you (and sorry for my poor english)

Iamcac
10-26-2010, 11:40 PM
after you fixed the gsod how do u update the bios to 0211

Thai09
10-27-2010, 07:50 AM
OK, went ahead and made a FAT32 USB bootable USB...

Read the instructions and watched the video.

Problem: The written instructions says hit the delete key, enter BIOS, select boot etc.

On the video the guy hits something else, what?

Makes a fast, very fast decision on what to boot, I cant see it!

While I enter the BIOS and select my bootable USB, save and shutdown, NOTHING HAPPENS!

Sigh... I wish WE THE COMSUMER could get some consistent, quality, official support to this product, instead of this pure nonsense going on,

with people/users/players actually telling ASUS what to do...

I wont fiddle around with this thang anymore, located in Thailand, a RMA is near impossible, customer service is non-existing in this backyard!

Good luck to the rest of you!

Thai09
10-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Ok, after a brisk walk around the block just for cooling off (difficult, its 33 C here!) I decided to try VBios flash one more time...

Important: Be sure you load the default settings in BIOS so you can see the USB!

The key the guy in the vid is hitting is ESC, and there you choose the USB directly.

Sorry, if this sounds completely noobies, but I am! Went from a desktop to this "monster" because I travel a lot..

To my utter amazement the Vbios flash was a succes, and Im now off to download the latest ATI driver.

BTW: I see the temps are down a few degrees on the stock Asus driver, so its doing something. :)

Thanks!

Ryenjo
10-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I've flashed the vBIOS successfully as well. Updated the drivers to 10.10. Bye bye GSOD.

Spunkgamer
10-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Glad you all were able to get the vbios updated and loaded up new ati drivers to the 10.10 set. You will find in the world of tech that the newer and more cutting edge the product the more it ends up the user needs to work with others to find bugs and report to asus like on this forum so they can hear your problem and try to help you get the most out of your laptop.

Spunkgamer
10-27-2010, 12:32 PM
after you fixed the gsod how do u update the bios to 0211

Brian@asus is saying that the 209 bios is the one to use. I'm using the 211 myself but here is a link on the how to http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/492354-all-g73jh-problems-solutions-here.html

dr1ss
10-27-2010, 05:31 PM
I've just flashed my vBios (I was so scared right before lol but everything went smooth) and installed the 10.10 ATI drivers...
I'll give it a shot tonight at home and see if I'll get any GSOD :p

dr1ss
10-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Good news ! no more GSOD !!! Thank you brian ;)

Thai09
10-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Installed 10.10 driver, the VBios, and Bios 211, and its rock solid!

Obvious difference in IQ from the stock driver Ive been using the last 3 months...

Any problems?

Nope, just hope the temps stay where they are now, and I dont need a repaste later..:p

Zelkein
10-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi guys,

I've had a G73JH for 3 months and been surviving the intense gaming with the overclocking trick... The problem is it works in 90% of games, but some games still flickers, glitches or juste GSOD (starcraft 2).

I've been reading this forum and another one related to this one and tried almost every tricks... I just didn't want to flash custom vbios because I wanted to keep all of my comp's features...

I'm no noob with PC's so don't reply to me saying stuff like '' Did you update your drivers or normal bios? '' I've done every thing in almost every way, tried 4 different drivers and bios to be able to flash vbios without getting the 0FL01 Error... I've tried the different commands like: atiflash -p 0 -f br38352.001, tried with -pa, with 1 in the place of 0, tried the switch -i command etc... etc...

The only way I got the atiflash to ''work'' is with the basic command vflash or atiflash -p 0 -f BR38352.001 ... But there again I still get 0FL01 Error at the end...

Is there a chance the updated vbios isn't compatible with some laptops?

If someone can help I'd appreciate, because RMA would be hell...

Thanks

Spunkgamer
10-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Use the vbios in chastity's post here http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/515309-how-fix-your-gsod-blues.html#post6667334 it has everything the unoffical gary key and brian@asus has but unlocks ati ccc overdrive. Also http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/492354-all-g73jh-problems-solutions-here.html is a help page to fix many of the g73jh problems.

Zelkein
10-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Thank you for the fast answer.

I'll try right away and edit my post with further details!

Zelkein
10-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Nope... Didn't work still got the same error... I'm posting a screen of the bug...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs011.snc4/33907_444973873993_737493993_5411823_468428_n.jpg

Got another idea?

Thank you

jao87
10-29-2010, 04:43 PM
ive had my G73 for about 4 months now, on updated drivers i get a GSOD 1-2 mins into benches, been running stock drivers and BIOS 209 , my question is brian suggested to flash the vbios with 209 but after flashing should i flash the bios to 211 .I have the bestbuy model - RBBX05 ,im acutally really nervous about flashing my bios's but it would be nice to use updated drivers.

thanks in advance

dr1ss
10-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Hehe I was like u 3 days ago... I kept the 209 Bios and updated just the vBios... didn't have any GSOD since.

Spunkgamer
10-29-2010, 07:45 PM
ive had my G73 for about 4 months now, on updated drivers i get a GSOD 1-2 mins into benches, been running stock drivers and BIOS 209 , my question is brian suggested to flash the vbios with 209 but after flashing should i flash the bios to 211 .I have the bestbuy model - RBBX05 ,im acutally really nervous about flashing my bios's but it would be nice to use updated drivers.

thanks in advance

You do know that there is a differance between bios 209 & 211 and the vbios right?

jao87
10-29-2010, 08:18 PM
yeah i do, temps are better in 211 i guess? im just wondering if its recommended to update to 211 after i update the vbios.. i saw a guide somewhere but i cant find it now

EDIT: also how can i make a backup of my current vbios? (just in case)

Talmerith
10-30-2010, 05:24 AM
Alright I got a G73 about two months ago and am at the end of my rope with constant GSOD issues (which the store I bought it from claim do not exist or are "just the games I'm playing"... yeah.. right..) When I brought it back and they told me "nothing is wrong with it" I mentioned the vbios update thing and they told me it was a completely unofficial fix and that the person who posted it got banned for doing so... Yet all I can find is people saying this is THE fix for the GSOD. Is there any truth to what they said?

Spunkgamer
10-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Alright I got a G73 about two months ago and am at the end of my rope with constant GSOD issues (which the store I bought it from claim do not exist or are "just the games I'm playing"... yeah.. right..) When I brought it back and they told me "nothing is wrong with it" I mentioned the vbios update thing and they told me it was a completely unofficial fix and that the person who posted it got banned for doing so... Yet all I can find is people saying this is THE fix for the GSOD. Is there any truth to what they said?

It is a unoffical release brought to you by Gary Key asus tech manager. This means what? Well it is virus free has all the hardware fixes that the g73jh needs for video. If you use the chastity version one it is same as garys but it unlocks overdrive in your ati ccc program. If you RMA it, it is the same one that asus will use to fix your problem. I am not sure why they don't have it on the asus support site other then it might cause them a legal nightmare. It is a simple task to do watch video print out instructions and always make sure you do any type of bios upgrade with the laptop plugged into a solid power sorce never on battery power.

Gary's post http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/515309-how-fix-your-gsod-blues.html

Also list of other fixes http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/492354-all-g73jh-problems-solutions-here.html

When done you should be at this point
Bios 209 or 211
Vbios updated
checked asus http://support.asus.com/ make sure you have all the lastest drivers.
update driver ati to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

Chastity@ASUS
10-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Nope... Didn't work still got the same error... I'm posting a screen of the bug...

Got another idea?

Thank you

I would suggest you redownload the package. Maybe it got mildly corrupt when it got downloaded. I've seen many people use my package to update with, and have had no errors. I uploaded a newer one today to get rid of the extra directory which was confusing some people.

http://pcaudio.org/stuff/93vBIOS_OD.rar

MD5 Checksum: 1B8342E01A80267FEAFC8EE8BD99CE72
SHA-1 Checksum: 5C84D94C3ECBAB4FC443A0296AF39A1FF4E16B38

jao87
10-30-2010, 08:50 PM
successfully flashed my vbios!, running 10.10 and tested with 3dm06 with 0 issues
thanks brian;)

Brian@ASUS
11-01-2010, 05:10 PM
stick with the 209. if you follow the video guide, its really straight forward.

Brian@ASUS
11-01-2010, 05:19 PM

honestly, "most" sales reps that sell you products don't REALLY know whats going on. they are there to just sell sell sell, maybe 10% are actual enthusiasts active on the forums that know whats going on. i went to best buy and they didn't know the difference between a 425m and 5870. they also didn't know what or about the GSOD issue i was asking them about. like most ASUS enthusiasts, get the proper info online =]

Talmerith
11-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Right so I ignored stupid store people and flashed the vbios, much easier then I expected and so far no GSOD with the latest ATI drivers on games that used to GSOD in five minutes so horray! I hope it lasts, I payed too much for this computer to just give up on it but boy am I NEVER buying Asus or ATI again after going through so much crap to make this thing work. I am still having one problem however. Before I found out about the vbios, I updated my Bios to 211, but since I did that one of my few games that didn't GSOD is now randomly closing itself, this started before I did the vbios so I know it has noting to do with that. I tried going back to the 209 Bios to see if that will fix it, but the winflash program won't let me, it just says there is already a newer version installed. Is there a way to put 209 back on?

wteo40
11-04-2010, 07:35 AM
good day I brought up to date mine asus g73jh-a1 for the vbios that are here, bios for 211, drive ati 10,10, realtek 2,53 and notebook is not more disconnect when atige the temperature of 110 therefore does not arrive until it, is being between 104 and 108C in the program furmark, still I am running risk being better to change the thermal folder? it forgives my English therefore I am of Brazil and my temperatures are in degrees celsius

wteo40@hotmail.com

Chastity@ASUS
11-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Right so I ignored stupid store people and flashed the vbios, much easier then I expected and so far no GSOD with the latest ATI drivers on games that used to GSOD in five minutes so horray! I hope it lasts, I payed too much for this computer to just give up on it but boy am I NEVER buying Asus or ATI again after going through so much crap to make this thing work. I am still having one problem however. Before I found out about the vbios, I updated my Bios to 211, but since I did that one of my few games that didn't GSOD is now randomly closing itself, this started before I did the vbios so I know it has noting to do with that. I tried going back to the 209 Bios to see if that will fix it, but the winflash program won't let me, it just says there is already a newer version installed. Is there a way to put 209 back on?

Use EasyFlash in the BIOS.

josh22
11-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Well I just flashed my vbios and all is great!.....I have been playing MW 2for a few hours with newest AMD drivers and no problems...and no GSOD!.....thx again for all the work...:)

Brian@ASUS
11-05-2010, 01:11 AM
wteo, running furmark, are you overheating or gsoding? if it peaks at 108, it should be fine as normal games will never go as high as furmark. when we did the vbios update, we tested it on furmark to ensure it would be ok.

dr1ss
11-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey brian... u seem to have a good knowledge on the HD 5870..
While actually playing for more than a hour.. I reach 90
I know that this card's max temps is around 110, after that it juste shuts down..
So can u tell us what's the max temp without harming the card ? if we reach 100-105 is that a bad thing for the card ?

Thanks in advance.

Talmerith
11-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Use EasyFlash in the BIOS.

Perfect! I went back to Bios 209 and the jittery graphics and random crashing is gone! Finally FINALLY This computer is acting like the awesome gaming laptop it's supposed to be. Even if Asus is retarded for not releasing this as an official fix I'm very thankful to everyone involved with the vBios update. If anyone else is getting jittery graphics and games randomly closing after getting the vBios update, make sure you use Bios 209 with it, not 211, it works much better.

wteo40
11-06-2010, 06:51 AM
wteo, running furmark, are you overheating or gsoding? if it peaks at 108, it should be fine as normal games will never go as high as furmark. when we did the vbios update, we tested it on furmark to ensure it would be ok.

AM MONITORING MY NOTEBOOK FOR PROGRAM GPU-Z AND IT SHOWS THE OSCILLATIONS TO ME OF THE TEMPERATURE THAT WHEN I AM PLAYING ARRIVES 108 DEGREES CELSIUS AND IN NORMAL USE OF WORKS AND INTERNET IT IS IN 60 AND 70, I AM WITH THERMAL FOLDER IC DIAMOND 7 BUT AS THE NOTEBOOK AFTER THE CORRECTION OF THE VBIOS IS NOT PRESENTING MORE DEFECT IS IN THE DOUBT IF I HAVE THAT TO MAKE THE EXCHANGE OR NOT, I AM OF THE BRAZIL AND WE DO NOT HAVE ASSISTANCE FOR NOTEBOOK ASUS BEING THUS THE OWNER OF THE STORE THAT I BOUGHT THAT IT WILL GO TO MAKE THE EXCHANGE, WITH TEMPERATURE REACHING 108 I CAN DAMAGE MINE NOTEBOOK OR NOT? IT WAS OCCURRING GSOD AND THE TEMPERATURE IN 110.

a_non_moose
11-08-2010, 03:23 AM
Bios 211, vBios with OD and works fantastically. Running 7 folding clients (6cpu, 1 GPU) and the Gpu is 825/995 core clock and hasn't skipped a beat.

Did seem like 830 core was too much, as either the vid restarted or folding balked 1/2 way through a unit.

Temps are at 75C, of course it's 4C/39F outside and 65F inside.

Plain mobile 10.10 cats running, haven't done the .10D yet, might not need to.

Wanted to say many thanks, because the problems with vid restarts and related issues was driving me crazy and I've not had the lappy for
more than a month, yet.

wteo40
11-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I CARRIED THROUGH the EXCHANGE OF the VBIOS BUT MY NOTEBOOK STILL REACHES 108 BUT IT IS NOT HAVING GSOD, IT IS IN THIS 70 TEMPERATURE WHEN I AM PLAYING and 80C IN NORMAL USE USING a BASE UNDER IT IS THUS. I AM WITH THERMAL FOLDER IC DIAMOND 7 BUT AS I AM NOT MORE HAVING GSOD IT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT IS INDICATED OR NOT TO MAKE THE EXCHANGE OF THE THERMAL FOLDER

Brian@ASUS
11-15-2010, 06:28 PM
if it doesnt reach 108 degrees, there is no need to change the folder temps. we set it at 108 to throttle and to ensure you don't put extra wear and tear on the GPU.

i believe the system shuts down at 130 degrees

j00zl33t
11-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Hey all, I seem to understand everything from what Ive read for the most part, but i still have a few questions..

1.What button is actually being pressed in the vid? del, esc, or f2? It seems like he's pressing Esc which goes against the instructions since that says press/tap delete

2.Im SERIOUSLY lost on how to make a bootable USB. I have a 2gb USB that i want to do this on. Watching the vid i feel very comfortable, but then when i read the instructions it confuses me. First off, in the vid, he does nothing but format the USB as FAT32 as well as associate it with the win98boot folder..in the instructions it has all this other stuff about using HP USB disk tool which wasnt included in the vid..so can i just ignore that HP usb folder included in the package? If i cant, can somebody PLEASE PLEASE post the instructions.

3.From what i understand this is the best way to do it in this order;
-If currently at BIOS 209 stay there
-Flash vBIOS
-Update drivers
-Leave at 209 until official BIOS update is out
...that sound about eight?

sorry..admittedly i am a complete noob at this but of course im eager to learn more. Thanks for bearing with me.

Brian@ASUS
11-16-2010, 03:14 AM
1. he is pressing esc.
2. you need to use the HP disk storage format to create the usb bootable drive. you need to make the usb thumb drive bootable so that it can be detected during start up, otherwise it will not recognize your usb drive during boot.
3. yes recommended to keep 209. the bios we have now is the official.

just follow the video as all the tools are within the rar file.

Yuna44
11-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Some help here ! Tuto (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?774-G73jh-vBios-update-tutorial-for-GSOD-matter.) :)

j00zl33t
11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
1. he is pressing esc.
2. you need to use the HP disk storage format to create the usb bootable drive. you need to make the usb thumb drive bootable so that it can be detected during start up, otherwise it will not recognize your usb drive during boot.
3. yes recommended to keep 209. the bios we have now is the official.

just follow the video as all the tools are within the rar file.

Thank you!

j00zl33t
11-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Here is the HP Usb boot tutorial from http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/492354-all-g73jh-problems-solutions-here.html

Making a bootable DOS USB Key (credits to zfactor):
- Extract and install the HP Drive Key program.
- Extract the DOS boot files somewhere and remember where you extracted them.
- Insert a USB stick.
- Now run the HP utility. (Vista users need to start the HP Drive Key Program as an administrator by right clicking the icon and selecting "Run as Administrator")
- In the HP Drive Key program Choose FAT32 as the filesystem. Name the volume whatever you (you can just leave it as it is since it doesnt matter). Under "Format Options" make sure the box next to "Quick Format" isnt checked and "Create a DOS startup disk" is checked. Find the button next to "Using DOS system files located at:" and click the little browse button "..." next to the blank and navigate to wherever you extracted the DOS boot files earlier and Click OK once youve pointed to the bootme map. Now click "Start" and the HP Drive Key utility will turn your USB device into a bootable DOS disk! It will popup a window asking you to confirm. Answer OK and it will continue.

Basically just do that prior to everything in the vid and you should be good to go!

Brian@ASUS
11-16-2010, 10:39 PM
yup, let us know how it goes and if it works for you.

Brian@ASUS
11-17-2010, 05:54 PM
another update with chastity's overdrive bios chastity does this work for 10.10 and above?

Notimebob
11-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Hi guys,

I seem to get a problem when I'm booting from the usb....instead of going to the command prompt (dos window), it starts loading windows files and i get the gray background screen for maybe 8-10 sec (not GSOD), then it reboots and starts up Win7 again.
I only thing I've done is to install the 211 bios. Other than that I've followed the instructions step by step.

Any clues anyone?

cheers!

Brian@ASUS
11-17-2010, 07:31 PM
during boot did you press esc to bring up the boot menu?

Notimebob
11-17-2010, 07:44 PM
yeah I get up the boot menu and choose boot from usb, but instead of seeing the dos windows, it starts loading windows files...

Brian@ASUS
11-17-2010, 09:58 PM
hurmmm not sure, either you didnt format it correctly with the HP boot tool or didnt copy the right files over? are there other files on the usb drive?

Notimebob
11-17-2010, 10:06 PM
the only files on the usb are the ones I copied over; atiflash.exe, BR38352.001 and VFlash.bat.....tried formating with the HB boot tool several times. could it be that the usb stick itself is an issue? it's an old one, 256mb.....could try with an other one.

Yuna44
11-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Did you select USB or the name of your stick?

- Restart and tapping on the key "Escape" Until the following window appears. Then select your USB stick and validate (it is the same name as the one who appears when you format the USB stick with HP USB Disk, For me: IOCELL celldisk...).

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/608804P1030586bis.jpg

Tuto here (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?774-G73jh-vBios-update-tutorial-for-GSOD-matter.&p=3921&posted=1#post3921)

And did you try to do your USB bootable stick with unmarking the option "Quik Format"

Notimebob
11-18-2010, 03:59 PM
I ofcourse selected to boot from the Usb stick, since I only get 3 options to select; HD, DVD-rom and the usb stick. Tried with unchecking/checking quick format, but none seems to work. I gonna try with another Usb stick and see if that helps.

Notimebob
11-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Looks like it was the usb stick after all, used another one now and it worked. Guess the old one is going in the bin. :)

j00zl33t
11-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Another noob q:

Everything is good to go...Now how do i turn/make my bootable USB (used in this process) back to normal?

Brian@ASUS
11-18-2010, 10:59 PM
just do another quick format in non boot mode.

j00zl33t
11-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Yup figured that out right after. Thanks anyway though! :)

Now ive got BIOS 209 and vBIOS 211. Time to install the new ATI 10.11! Thank you Brian!!!

edit: on a side note ive got a few q's

1. how long should we expect to remain in BIOS 209?
2.My 5870's driver is 8.791.0.0 which was updated via Catalyst 10.11..i was also told that 10.10e hotfix was better for now? any truth to this?

Kari
11-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Thank you, your procedures worked well on a G73JH-A1 aprox 1 month old before it's brainwashing procedure.

BIOS 209, vBIOS from the 93vBIOSa.rar and ATI 10.11 Catalyst.

Works wonderfully and whole system seems to run aprox 10 C cooler. Both on gaming and idle internet surf. (surf at ~52 C) Game topography seems to be rendering far smoother as well.

Whole system is much quieter much of the time.

Kudos to Brian@ASUS and all the folks involved in this fix.

Kari

freezeex
11-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi I just updated my vbio in the 98boot.
not sure if I did this right but I pressed the power button the restart the system
is there anyway to check the computer vbio system?

wteo40
11-22-2010, 01:38 PM
good personal day. I am in doubt how much the exchange of the vbios. I carried through my update of vbios using the guide disponibilizado in the first page but I was informed by one another forum of the disponibilizao of vbios final that they are using.

link do post.: VBIOS - http://es.asusxperts.com/asus-gaming-series/4292-recursos-y-soluciones-g73jh.html

it would like to know if necessary to modify my vbios for this informed in the forum of link or is the same thing inform therefore me that it improves powerplay

Xellon
11-22-2010, 09:22 PM
I've made a dummy proof tutorial on updating and several other fixes in my description here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXOgnHwAlH4

Hope this help. Also, One of the asus beta testers provided a vbios with overdrive options in CCC (sry if this was mentioned already). Everything is in the description.

Chastity@ASUS
11-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Just to chime in about the modded vBIOS:

There really is only 2 changes

1) The on-battery clocks were lowered to 250/500. Those are conservative settings that I have never gotten feedback on about not working with other laptops other than my own. This setting helps with extending battery life.

2) Overdrive is enabled, and was given ample headroom for overclocking. You will see more performance in overclocking the core rather than the memory setting, since the VRAM is already fast. A common setting that most people can use is 800/1000, or 800/1100. Note that temps will run hotter on faster clock speeds. Some people have found sweetspots at higher clocks, but YMMV.

Overclocking is not recommended if your core temps while gaming or under load is 95C or higher with stock speeds. If they are, then you should consider having the GPU checked for loose heatsink mount screws and/or dried-out thermal paste.

Chastity@ASUS
11-26-2010, 04:50 AM
another update with chastity's overdrive bios chastity does this work for 10.10 and above?

The 93vBIOS, both Asus' and my modded version, is good for 10.3 and later Catalyst Mobility releases from AMD, since it addresses the code changes AMD made at the time of 10.3's creation. I have heard that people use this vBIOS with earlier Cats as well, tho why would you? :)

Cbbutts
11-27-2010, 05:13 PM
I have been experiencing horrible screen refresh issues, lines all over the screen when you move a window etc.

I have the 209 Bios, I have tried the 9.12 drivers, all the way to the latest release. I have flashed the vBios with the instructions on here, but no matter what I do I still have refresh issues. I have tried to verify that the refresh rate is the same in all areas, and it shows 60 across the board.

If I move a window on the desktop I get all sorts of ghosted windows, as soon as I right click and do a refresh, it is fine. If I run without the ATI drivers or at a lower screen res, then the problem is non-existent.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

j00zl33t
11-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Is there a reason why we are instructed to put our USB stick on the front left slot as opposed to the other ones?

Mark Dano
11-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Is there a reason why we are instructed to put our USB stick on the front left slot as opposed to the other ones?

Replace USB with PENIS or DICK and ON to IN......

BA DUM TSSSSSS

BTW THE GAME!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FUNNYJUNK!

Spunkgamer
11-29-2010, 03:23 PM

I would say no. Ease of access? Left handed people use right side of brain so they are always right so use the left front port.

Brian@ASUS
11-29-2010, 09:39 PM
@cbbutts, try doing a clean driver install, delete all ati drivers and try bios 211. see if that helps

@mark, you're crazy...

Mark Dano
11-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Haha i am?

j00zl33t
11-30-2010, 01:04 AM
I was wondering...can you somehow 'rollback' or reinstall BIOS and vBIOS to a previous version? Or will it not let you?

Tigris
11-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi!

First post and of course a post for seeking help.

I bought a G73JH-1ATZ (this is A1, I suppose?) with HD5870, 6GB DDR 1333, 740QM (i7) last week. A very nice computer indeed, but as most of you, I experience problems. Especially when playing Steam games (i.e. Call of Duty: Black Ops).

1 .The game freezes (the sound still plays)
2. After 20-30 seconds the screen flickers into the Windows desktop (as if you are ALT+TAB)
3. Flips back to a black screen
4. Back in the game

This ordeal takes about 50 seconds and you can imagine the frustration.

Solutions I've tried:

- Made a bootable USB-stick and ran the VFLASH.bat (as described in this thread) - no problems during this
- Reinstalled the Realtek HD Sound drivers (at NBR they said this could be a possible cause for Steam games to crash/freeze)

None of these have helped and I wondered if I should try something different or in a special order?
My bios is 211 and my ATI drivers are 10.2x something (I installed them via the CCC updater, so probably the latest one).

Thank you.

Spunkgamer
11-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi!

First post and of course a post for seeking help.

I bought a G73JH-1ATZ (this is A1, I suppose?) with HD5870, 6GB DDR 1333, 740QM (i7) last week. A very nice computer indeed, but as most of you, I experience problems. Especially when playing Steam games (i.e. Call of Duty: Black Ops).

1 .The game freezes (the sound still plays)
2. After 20-30 seconds the screen flickers into the Windows desktop (as if you are ALT+TAB)
3. Flips back to a black screen
4. Back in the game

This ordeal takes about 50 seconds and you can imagine the frustration.

Solutions I've tried:

- Made a bootable USB-stick and ran the VFLASH.bat (as described in this thread) - no problems during this
- Reinstalled the Realtek HD Sound drivers (at NBR they said this could be a possible cause for Steam games to crash/freeze)

None of these have helped and I wondered if I should try something different or in a special order?
My bios is 211 and my ATI drivers are 10.2x something (I installed them via the CCC updater, so probably the latest one).

Thank you.

here is my opinion you say you reinstalled realtek but i'm not sure as ver. so I use steam with no problems and I have realtek driver 2.54 http://www.realtek.com/downloads/ it's the high def. audio codec link on page. Also when you hit download area it's 64 bit and also dl the ati hdmi audio driver 2.49. Go to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx DL the 10.11 driver. As always uninstall current drivers then reboot system and install new ones.

Tigris
11-30-2010, 03:02 PM
here is my opinion you say you reinstalled realtek but i'm not sure as ver. so I use steam with no problems and I have realtek driver 2.54 http://www.realtek.com/downloads/ it's the high def. audio codec link on page. Also when you hit download area it's 64 bit and also dl the ati hdmi audio driver 2.49. Go to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx DL the 10.11 driver. As always uninstall current drivers then reboot system and install new ones.

Thanks for the tip.

Did you have problems with Steam before you did this?

Spunkgamer
11-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I read up and did all the updated drivers before using the laptop as I do with all my new pc's so I can't help you there.

Brian@ASUS
11-30-2010, 05:48 PM
let us know if it works tigris

Tigris
12-01-2010, 08:21 AM
let us know if it works tigris

So I did what Spunkgamer proposed: Uninstalled the Realtek HD Audio drivers, installed the 254-version and the ATI HDMI 2.49 driver. I didn't need to reinstall the display drivers, since they already were version 10.11.

* drumroll *

I think it works. I played Black Ops (Steam) for about 1.5 hours with absolutely no problems at all. It could be luck, but I doubt it. The funny thing is that this reinstall also removed artifacts from Black Ops. Before the update, Black Ops sometimes looked like a christmas tree; faces black with red flickering dots, buildings green and weapons blue.

I also tried World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2 and World of Tanks - all smooth like... something very smooth.

Spunkgamer
12-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Glad it worked for you.

Brian@ASUS
12-01-2010, 05:36 PM
awesome

oogawooga
12-02-2010, 06:45 AM
just to make sure.... the vBIOS does NOT get rid of HDMI functionability right

Tigris
12-02-2010, 08:10 AM
So I did what Spunkgamer proposed: Uninstalled the Realtek HD Audio drivers, installed the 254-version and the ATI HDMI 2.49 driver. I didn't need to reinstall the display drivers, since they already were version 10.11.

* drumroll *

I think it works. I played Black Ops (Steam) for about 1.5 hours with absolutely no problems at all. It could be luck, but I doubt it. The funny thing is that this reinstall also removed artifacts from Black Ops. Before the update, Black Ops sometimes looked like a christmas tree; faces black with red flickering dots, buildings green and weapons blue.

I also tried World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2 and World of Tanks - all smooth like... something very smooth.

I think I celebrated too early on this one. Last night I tried again (Black Ops), and same old problems continued: It freezes after 2-3 minutes in-game, turns black, flickers into Windows and then back. This happened every other 5-10 minutes.

Are we sure this is due to the laptop or could it be something wrong with the game itself? If I can't play Steam games on an acceptable level on this computer, I have to deliver it back to the store.

oogawooga
12-02-2010, 08:25 AM
okay so no one replied, so i did it anyways..... i still get this blank screen with or without vertical lines, but i can still hear sounds
i am using the latest catalyst

Tigris
12-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Now I'm completely lost, I think I've tried every tip that I can find on the net. Two days ago I even formated the entire computer and installed W7U - a clean install in other words. Only added the drivers for the video card and tested different games.

All games works fine, except for Steam games. They crash. A lot. Now how can I blame the sound drivers if they're not installed? No Realtek drivers, no ATI HDMI, no EAX HD 4.0, no nothing - just basic Microsoft drivers.

Could it be something corrupt with my hardware? And if it was, shouldn't all games have problems? So my conclusion is that Steam and Asus are not friends. If I can't get it to work by Monday, I'll send it back and let the store take a check.

Spunkgamer
12-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Load up realtek driver 2.54 from www.realtek.com high def. audio codec software and also load the ati hdmi from same site, load creative software from your driver disc and add Chastity fix http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/519474-my-petition-getting-creative-mb-upgrade-g73jh-13.html steam has problems with some sound drivers but these all work on my machine.

reef_boy
12-10-2010, 02:12 PM
worked great for me! uPDATED de vbios and since i had no issues at all!!! B-E-A-UTIFUL! Thanks!

factorback
12-11-2010, 04:49 PM
also worked great for me yesterday evening. was a bit confusing doing all the steps as i ended up having about 80 windows up but apparently i put all the files in the correct places and the flash went as described. no GSOD since !!! thanks for the info, took awhile to find a fix for me.

Mark Ellison
12-12-2010, 02:46 AM
So far all is well since I updated my vBIOS as well. Thanks for your hard work guys. :)

Also, may I suggest putting the newest vBIOS version in the OP? It took me a little bit to figure out if I had the most up to date version or not since I've had my G73J since mid-October otherwise, I would've updated sooner.

cirdanmiriel
12-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Hello all,

Well I bought my Asus G73JH at the end of August and like you I cannot upgrade my ATI Firmware because of some GSOD or even freezes that eppears rapidly.
So you said that it solves all of this and I really want to try but first I have some questions about it:

1) Is this update reversible? I mean is it possible after flashing as you show here to flash back to the original vbios after that?
2) If yes, How to backup the original vbios to reflash it again if necessarely or, where could the original vbios be found?
3) I have the original bios (209 I think), is it necessary to update the bios also?
4)I have read on some other forums that after flashing the vbios, some features won't longer work (HDMI, VGA and so on), is it right?
5) well, I think that's enought questions for today :D

Many thanks in advance to those who will answer me, and of course to you guys who found how to fix it ;)

Chastity@ASUS
12-14-2010, 05:51 PM
1) Is this update reversible? I mean is it possible after flashing as you show here to flash back to the original vbios after that?

Yes, you can revert back, but there is no reason to do so. You don't lose anything having the beta vBIOS, except GSOD's :)

2) If yes, How to backup the original vbios to reflash it again if necessarely or, where could the original vbios be found?

Original vBIOS is available here (http://pcaudio.org/stuff/vbiosG73Stock.zip).

3) I have the original bios (209 I think), is it necessary to update the bios also?

You can use BIOS 209 or 211 with the beta vBIOS. In fact there is even a new 211 beta (http://pcaudio.org/stuff/G73jHBetaAS211v2kbfix.rar) to address keyboard lag and trackpad issues.

4)I have read on some other forums that after flashing the vbios, some features won't longer work (HDMI, VGA and so on), is it right?

The beta vBIOS is from Asus, and supports all our outputs (HDMI & VGA). So no, you will not lose any functionality. The issue you are referring to is using a vBIOS made for another company's 5870M card. (MSI to be exact)

cirdanmiriel
12-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Well, thanks a lot Chastity for your quick answer
I will try the flash soon and report my feedback here:D

Cheers,

P.S: sorry for English mistakes, French powa' >_<

cirdanmiriel
12-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Hi all, just to let you know that I flashed my VBIOS and that... it works!
no more GSOD, Freezes or anything else... my G73 works just like a charm ^^
...and I am quite sure that I won some FPS in games also... :D

Thank you so much, you guys are awesome !

Cheers,

petediy
12-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Very good

IdeaJason
12-20-2010, 08:44 AM
HI all, Im having a continued problem even after the update. I was loving my g73 & having no problems. I even played my game a few times then all of a sudden these artifacts like static were popping up all over. I did the vbios & say it update. Now anytime I run my game, Eve-Online, I get the artifacts again & then after the game is off I still get random micro artifacts, smaller then the ones in the game.

I have no heat issues & never had a grey screen. Just popcorn size artifacts.
I searched for this issue in every term possible & read 8 pages of this thread. I hop I didn't go over someone else's answer.

Thanks for your help in advanced!

Namaste,
IdeaJason

Gegaaaa
12-22-2010, 06:57 AM
BRIAN ASUS please help i heave the same problem as valdinekayne , i have bios 211 , and ati driver 10.8 , i do everything as it follows but there is error ROM isnot ERASED please help

Chastity@ASUS
12-23-2010, 12:19 AM
The video BIOS is locked. Using the DOS ATIFLASH.exe, use this comand:

atiflash.exe -unlockrom 0

Then proceed to run VFlash.bat or updateod.bat (depending which package you downloaded)

Gegaaaa
12-23-2010, 05:50 AM
i downloaded this package - 93vBIOSa.rar that was given in this site

Gegaaaa
12-23-2010, 05:51 AM
So firts i have to type atiflash.exe -unlockrom 0 and then VFlash.bat am i right?

Gegaaaa
12-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks Chastity i did it vbios was locked . Thanks very much

Gegaaaa
12-23-2010, 07:21 AM
I have only one question should i update ati driver to 10.12

Brian@ASUS
12-23-2010, 07:44 AM
See gegaaa told you our community is smart. Smarter than me. Thanks chasity for your support!

Gegaaaa
12-23-2010, 10:15 AM
thank u all guys i really appretiate this

Chastity@ASUS
12-23-2010, 04:06 PM
I have only one question should i update ati driver to 10.12

Now that the update is done, you can use any of the AMD driver distros, so 10-12 is perfectly fine.

Fonkser
12-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Hi, my laptop is 6 months old, I use stock drivers and now GSODs started to happen. I updated BIOS to 211 because at first I thought it was overheating, but it didn't help. Will updating Vbios help me, as I'm using stock drivers?

MarkS
12-23-2010, 10:20 PM
... I use stock drivers and now GSODs started to happen.... Will updating Vbios help me, as I'm using stock drivers?

Yes! That's what it's for - fixing the GSOD issue and allowing you to use new driver from AMD :)

Chastity@ASUS
12-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Actually, using the stock drivers shouldn't have a GSOD issue. Can you give us a better description of your problem?

Fonkser
12-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Actually, using the stock drivers shouldn't have a GSOD issue. Can you give us a better description of your problem?

I have the laptop for 6 months, with stock drivers and never had any problem until some days ago, when I had GSOD (screen with gray stripes and looping sound) in Left4Dead 2 . At first I thought it was overheating (temp got to 103C with Furmark running for 15 min), then I updated to bios 211. But I'm still getting GSOD in L4D2 (usually after 1 hour playing), Need for Speed Shift (about 1h too) and Dirt (at random). It's strange because there are games that run fine whitout gsod, like Bioshock, Batman:AA and Metro 2033, and even Furmark never gave me one.

I'm not sure if the temperature has anything to do whit it, today it was a bit colder and Furmark never passed 90C, but I got gsod anyway. I've never had any thermal shutdown. I don't overclock. So I have no clue on what is causing this...

Gegaaaa
12-24-2010, 07:53 AM
before updating vbios i updated bios 211 , but it didnot help i got gsod ,than thanks to chastity i updated vbios and it actually worked no more gsod.

Chastity@ASUS
12-24-2010, 03:39 PM
I have the laptop for 6 months, with stock drivers and never had any problem until some days ago, when I had GSOD (screen with gray stripes and looping sound) in Left4Dead 2 . At first I thought it was overheating (temp got to 103C with Furmark running for 15 min), then I updated to bios 211. But I'm still getting GSOD in L4D2 (usually after 1 hour playing), Need for Speed Shift (about 1h too) and Dirt (at random). It's strange because there are games that run fine whitout gsod, like Bioshock, Batman:AA and Metro 2033, and even Furmark never gave me one.

I'm not sure if the temperature has anything to do whit it, today it was a bit colder and Furmark never passed 90C, but I got gsod anyway. I've never had any thermal shutdown. I don't overclock. So I have no clue on what is causing this...

1) Since you are on 211, you really should also update your vBIOS. (Link for it is in my sig)
2) Once the vBIOS is done, upgrade your drivers to Catalyst 10.12 WHQL (https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/DRIVERS/mobile/10-12_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe). (Run the installer, do a complete uninstall, reboot, run installer, express install)
3) Read my thread on G73JH Thermals (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-(Read-This-First)). You are due for a repaste of the TIM.

Linkku
12-25-2010, 10:29 PM

It should not do gsod in any asus vga drivers, maybe you got a faulty GPU card. Faulty GPU can cause overheating and the repasting your GPU does not help ****. Best option is to sent it to RMA.

Fonkser
12-27-2010, 01:01 AM
1) Since you are on 211, you really should also update your vBIOS. (Link for it is in my sig)
2) Once the vBIOS is done, upgrade your drivers to Catalyst 10.12 WHQL (https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/DRIVERS/mobile/10-12_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe). (Run the installer, do a complete uninstall, reboot, run installer, express install)
3) Read my thread on G73JH Thermals (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-(Read-This-First)). You are due for a repaste of the TIM.

Updated vbios, installed 10.12 ati drivers, and no more gsods :D
I don't think I need a repaste atm, load temps don't usally get past 90C unless the weather is really hot. But if they get past 100C I'll do it.
Thanks!

It should not do gsod in any asus vga drivers, maybe you got a faulty GPU card. Faulty GPU can cause overheating and the repasting your GPU does not help ****. Best option is to sent it to RMA.

Yes I thought GPU was faulty, gsod with stock drivers seems to be a hardware issue. Didn't think updating vbios or drivers would do anything, but somehow gsods stopped.

blackangelpr
12-27-2010, 04:00 AM
Greetings i need some advice because i have already end up not having any other idea.. the bios its to update, also the vbios ... i run Battlefield bad comapany 2 by steam, team speak and xfire before and i was having the vertical lines or what ever name is abut also was very slow ... then i wipe out the computer start from starch ... the issue is while playing battle field the image halt and also the computer... i did look in another forums that says they have audio problems so i do have the default windows audio driver... still its giving me every day a willing to put it on fire!! (>_<) ... P.S mine have one dead dot around the 1st week of ussage but not big deal i just need to play... so please help...

blackangelpr
12-28-2010, 03:34 AM
have just tested driver: Fabric ones and ati catalyst 10.8 & 10.12 and still halt around 30 minutes on the game, and in medium , also without the antivirus and or xfire open ,,,,, what whould asus do if they do not fix this?? ithis problem happen so far while playing but i buyt it for it ... not for normal usage... (>_<) should i RMA ? ~!!

Chastity@ASUS
12-28-2010, 06:36 AM
May I ask, what do you mean by "halting"? Is the game crashing or locking up, or is the whole machine shutting down?

blackangelpr
12-28-2010, 04:19 PM
May I ask, what do you mean by "halting"? Is the game crashing or locking up, or is the whole machine shutting down?

frozen or and also the whole system :( do not know what else to try i feel like a beta tester now hahah...

(hlt)
n.
A suspension of movement or progress, especially a temporary one: The car rolled to a halt when it stalled.

v., halted, halting, halts.
v.tr.
To cause to stop: The government hopes to halt tax fraud.

v.intr.
To stop; pause: The hikers halted for lunch and some rest. See synonyms at stop.

[German, sing. imperative of halten, to stop, from Middle High German, from Old High German haltan.]

blackangelpr
12-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Oh by the way i have not re-paste any of the gpu or cpu , how could i know my temps on windows?

Chastity@ASUS
12-28-2010, 06:21 PM
With a hardware monitor application, like HWINFO32

blackangelpr
12-28-2010, 08:04 PM
With a hardware monitor application, like HWINFO32

Benchmark result with HWiNFO32:
CPU: 122007
FPU:79074
MMX: 103674
Memory Transfer Speed: 5742
DiskL
Read Burst Rate: 10.69 MB/s
Random REad 32.66 MB/s
Random Acess: 17.44 MB/s

Settings while on web browsing:

Temp:
CPU Digital Thermal Sensor: Celsius
CPU=0 Core0: Current:48.0 Min: 45.0 Max: 53.0
CPU=0 Core1: Current:48.0 Min: 45.0 Max: 53.0
CPU=0 Core2: Current:47.0 Min: 44.0 Max: 60.0
CPU=0 Core3: Current:47.0 Min: 44.0 Max: 58.0

Asus G73 EC: RPM
CPU: Current:1984 Min:1977 Max:2198
GPU: Current:3075 Min:3063 Max:3079

Intel PCH:
PCH Temperature: Current:60.0 Min:60.0 Celsius Max:60.0 Celsius
CPU Core: Current:24.412w Min:23.665w Max: 37.123w

S.M.A.R.T: Celsius
ST9500420AS: Current:39.0 Min:39.0 Max:40.00
ST9500420AS Air Flow: Current:39.0 Min:39.0 Max:40.00
ST9500420AS: Current:39.0 Min:37.0 Max:39.00

ATI On-die @ GPU [#0} Ati Mobili... :Celsius
GPU THermal Diode: Current:61.0 Min:61.0 Max: 62.0
GPU TSO (DispIO): Current:60.0 Min:59.5 Max:61.0
GPU TSO (MemIO): Current:61.5 Min:61.0 Max:62.5
GPU TSO (Shader): Current:60.5 Min:60.0 Max:62.0
GPU Fan Speed: Current:30.000% Min:30.000% Max:30.000%
GPU Utilization: Current:0.000% Min:0.000% Max: 8.52%

PS: Also i have read in another forums that buying a USB audio card will fix the BC2 issue and also by disabling the Realtek Integrated Audio

Any recommendations are welcome ...

blackangelpr
12-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Benchmark result with HWiNFO32:
CPU: 122007
FPU:79074
MMX: 103674
Memory Transfer Speed: 5742
DiskL
Read Burst Rate: 10.69 MB/s
Random REad 32.66 MB/s
Random Acess: 17.44 MB/s

Settings while on web browsing:

Temp:
CPU Digital Thermal Sensor: Celsius
CPU=0 Core0: Current:48.0 Min: 45.0 Max: 53.0
CPU=0 Core1: Current:48.0 Min: 45.0 Max: 53.0
CPU=0 Core2: Current:47.0 Min: 44.0 Max: 60.0
CPU=0 Core3: Current:47.0 Min: 44.0 Max: 58.0

Asus G73 EC: RPM
CPU: Current:1984 Min:1977 Max:2198
GPU: Current:3075 Min:3063 Max:3079

Intel PCH:
PCH Temperature: Current:60.0 Min:60.0 Celsius Max:60.0 Celsius
CPU Core: Current:24.412w Min:23.665w Max: 37.123w

S.M.A.R.T: Celsius
ST9500420AS: Current:39.0 Min:39.0 Max:40.00
ST9500420AS Air Flow: Current:39.0 Min:39.0 Max:40.00

ATI On-die @ GPU [#0} Ati Mobili... :Celsius
GPU THermal Diode: Current:61.0 Min:61.0 Max: 62.0
GPU TSO (DispIO): Current:60.0 Min:59.5 Max:61.0
GPU TSO (MemIO): Current:61.5 Min:61.0 Max:62.5
GPU TSO (Shader): Current:60.5 Min:60.0 Max:62.0
GPU Fan Speed: Current:30.000% Min:30.000% Max:30.000%
GPU Utilization: Current:0.000% Min:0.000% Max: 8.52%

PS: Also i have read in another forums that buying a USB audio card will fix the BC2 issue and also by disabling the Realtek Integrated Audio

Any recommendations are welcome ...

I just find out that apparently its the integrated audio card i have been playing around one hour and a half with all programs open and high resolution and this computer have been great so far the temperatures are for the cpu around 66-74 and the ati: 68-71 Great! now i guess ist just wait until a fix comes up and buy a usb audio card in between..

Chastity@ASUS
12-29-2010, 02:26 AM
I just find out that apparently its the integrated audio card i have been playing around one hour and a half with all programs open and high resolution and this computer have been great so far the temperatures are for the cpu around 66-74 and the ati: 68-71 Great! now i guess ist just wait until a fix comes up and buy a usb audio card in between..

I just got BC2 from Steam. Let me play with it a bit before you go and get a USB Audio dongle. (Heh, I said dongle) blackangelpr, what settings are you using on your G73?

blackangelpr
12-29-2010, 04:46 AM
I just got BC2 from Steam. Let me play with it a bit before you go and get a USB Audio dongle. (Heh, I said dongle) blackangelpr, what settings are you using on your G73?

I wipe out the whole computer install the same version of windows 7 and wonder why say my key its now valid? any ways all driver from the asus web page except:

-Audio that its disable for now: And the result is no more problem in battle field for 3 hours consecutive - Yes!!! i am happy again but no audio (>_<)
-Video card - I have the Catalyst 10.12 so far so good :)

Please note the game only halt during online gaming...

Version: G73JH Bios Ver:211
Vbios: that Brian provided in the forum -> 012.020.000.032.0383.G730
Ec Version: 612C1D80203
Direct X: 11

After the update of the Bios and vBios the only two problems i have its the audio while gaming online and the windows key that seems not valid ...?

I keep reading in the past week or more and i found one that have mention on EA forum that its a problem with the Battle Field Bad Company 2 since they utilize DX9 and they say the c++ portion of the program do not deal right with DX11 or Realrtek
so they are waiting for realtek to solve this issue since they say its their problem..

also i have the HWiNFO32 report if you need it.

thank you in advance...

MarkS
12-29-2010, 07:34 PM
@blackangelpr:

You can re-activate your Windows key online, or at worst, by phone. Start menu, Right-click "Computer" and choose "Properties...". Scroll to the bottom of the properties page and find the activation links.

Realtek provides driver updates for their audio codecs fairly regularly, and the latest version works well. Get the driver here (http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false) (use the one labeled "Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64bits) Driver only (Executable file)"). I also recommend installing and using the "ATI HDMI Audio Device" driver from there as well.

FWIW, BFBC2 was the first game I purchased for my G73JH, and I've never had an issue with it.

blackangelpr
12-30-2010, 01:14 AM
@blackangelpr:

You can re-activate your Windows key online, or at worst, by phone. Start menu, Right-click "Computer" and choose "Properties...". Scroll to the bottom of the properties page and find the activation links.

Realtek provides driver updates for their audio codecs fairly regularly, and the latest version works well. Get the driver here (http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false) (use the one labeled "Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64bits) Driver only (Executable file)"). I also recommend installing and using the "ATI HDMI Audio Device" driver from there as well.

FWIW, BFBC2 was the first game I purchased for my G73JH, and I've never had an issue with it.

did you play using steam also? just to get sure i am not sure if the porblem its only limited to steam users or everyone using realtek

Chastity@ASUS
12-30-2010, 01:24 AM
I was playing the game, and wasn't getting any stuttering during gameplay. I'd like to know what settings you are using ingame, and what FPS are you expecting to get. Also, turn on your MSN Live chat, I've been trying to get you online.

MarkS
12-30-2010, 01:39 AM
did you play using steam also?

Yes.....

blackangelpr
12-30-2010, 05:26 AM
I was playing the game, and wasn't getting any stuttering during gameplay. I'd like to know what settings you are using ingame, and what FPS are you expecting to get. Also, turn on your MSN Live chat, I've been trying to get you online.

Settings.ini

[WindowSettings]
Width=1024
Height=768
Fullscreen=true
RefreshRate=60
VSync=true
[Sound]
Quality=high
VoipEnable=true
SpeakerCount=1
[Graphics]
Effects=medium
Soldiers=medium
Vehicles=medium
Overgrowth=medium
Undergrowth=medium
StaticObjects=medium
Terrain=medium
Shadows=medium
Bloom=true
HSAO=false
MSAA=1
Water=medium
MainQuality=medium
Texture=high
DxVersion=auto
Aniso=2
Detail=medium
RenderAheadLimit=2
Fov=55

blackangelpr
12-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Game Settings:
[GstAudio]
DialogueVolume=0.700000
CarRadio=0
VoipEnable=0
OriginalVOForEnemyTeam=1
MusicVolume=0.700000
VoipPushkey=0
SoundSystemSize=0
VOLanguage=0
Volume=1.000000
VoipRecieveVolume=0.500000
[GstGameplay]
KitConfig_2=428~M1A1 Thompson~ABBR_M1A1~263~M1911~ABBR_M1911~undefined~ SYRINGEV~ABBR_SYRINGEV~13~sp_ammsupp~P_SPEC_AMMOSP _ABBR~14~sp_bodarm~P_SPEC_HLTHSP_ABBR~4~sp_coaxmg~ P_SPEC_VEHFL_ABBRV
ColorBlindMode=1
KitConfig_3=486~M95~ABBR_M95~263~M1911~ABBR_M1911~ 493~MRTR-5~ABBR_MRTR-5~13~sp_ammsupp~P_SPEC_AMMOSP_ABBR~7~sp_buldmplus~ P_SPEC_MARKSP_ABBR~4~sp_coaxmg~P_SPEC_VEHAF_ABBR
KitConfig_0=undefined~M16A1V~ABBR_M16V~undefined~T T33V~ABBR_TT33V~undefined~M79V~ABBR_M79V~undefined ~sp_ammsupp~P_SPEC_AMMOSP_ABBR~undefined~sp_bodarm ~P_SPEC_HLTHSP_ABBR~undefined~sp_coaxmg~P_SPEC_VEH FL_ABBRV
ToggleCrouch=1
KitConfig_1=402~UMP~ABBR_UMP~266~TRCR-357~ABBR_TRCR~384~RPG7~ABBR_RPG7~13~sp_ammsupp~P_S PEC_AMMOSP_ABBR~14~sp_bodarm~P_SPEC_HLTHSP_ABBR~4~ sp_coaxmg~P_SPEC_VEHFL_ABBRV
CurrentSoldierWeaponList=
HoldToZoom=1
Telemetry=1
PunkBuster=1
Subtitles=1
CurrentKit=3
HintSystem=1
KitConfig_6=undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined
KitConfig_7=undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined
KitConfig_4=undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined
KitConfig_5=undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefine d~undefined~undefined~undefined~undefined
ToolTips=1
CurrentSoldierWeaponIndex=-1
[GstInput]
Scheme0FlipY=0
Scheme3InputType=0
Sensitivity0=0.500000
Sensitivity1=0.500000
Sensitivity2=0.500000
Sensitivity3=0.500000
Scheme2InputType=0
Sensitivity4=0.500000
Scheme4InputType=0
Sensitivity5=0.500000
Scheme0Sensitivity=0.350000
InvertScrollWheel=0
Scheme1InputType=0
InputAcceleration=0
Scheme3FlipY=0
Scheme2FlipY=0
Scheme0InputType=0
Scheme4FlipY=0
Vibration=2
[GstPersistence]
FavoriteGamesConnectDate=Empty
FavoriteGamesConnectCount=Empty
RecentGames=551067809,cf1dea4f-1da0-4dc6-bcdc-525a136e2720,ROOT CANAL 24/7;875905241,b2fced7f-e56f-4244-9068-c964815a80a4,NO RULES. 1000 Tickets. HARDCORE. Conquest/Rush;751230412,6d3528b7-72bb-451f-963e-f3e691e072c5,ConvictGaming.com|Mature|Hardcore|New York|;1233647465,ce227e17-e5a4-4878-8878-61d5a64d32fa,BRIG DALLAS HC W/ LIVE ADMIN ;1204965610,b4280eea-2e1e-43e1-96b2-7624a857f362,=QLS= HC Heavy Metal CQ 500 Ticket ;673948998,47150807-6cbc-4816-a363-fe91d0598c29,>NN< Total Gaming HARDCORE USA;2970138017,06cca621-0723-41bf-8340-df5fa4b93ae6,=(eGO)= 24/7 Hardcore Mixed Mode [GameME];4260916641,d957ee83-03bc-4de6-8181-efc7efdd2711,[Brawr] HC Chicago Conquest;610956268,859164ac-fcc4-4b21-8b4e-998c791fccca,=Danish=Nervine Records S3rv3r=;4262674673,87084594-9152-4b1e-b453-6ec3cc66b3c3,Rabbit BFBC2 Server #2;2392465172,9802c21b-1d33-4e3d-a12d-0acbf5935810,[sFx] HC 24/7;2652697076,6e377461-4916-46d8-a2bc-82e765dcbc8a,Iron City Evil |Conquest| HC;2422989453,d8a9300d-e377-4dc1-93df-d08aff558615,SimHQ BFBC2 Server;
FavoriteGames=Empty
ClanTag=PR
[GstPlayerProfile]
ServerFilterSettings=yes,yes,no,yes,no,yes,na
MPPlayed=0
IntroPlayed=1
ServerDropDownSettings=CONQUEST,ANY,0
[GstRender]
Brightness=0.500000
Contrast=0.390000

blackangelpr
12-30-2010, 05:29 AM
crash report:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- (file:///C:/Users/Cristobal%20Ortiz/Documents/BFBC2/crashreport.xml#) <report>
<version>2</version>

<sessionid>38fb22844d1bd50d</sessionid>

<type>crash</type>

<sku>ea.dice.RomePC.Cl</sku>

<createtime>2010-12-30 01:03:15</createtime>

<buildsignature>602574</buildsignature>

<systemconfig />

<categoryid>0x734A73BD</categoryid>

<stack>0x734A73BD 0x734A7476 0xBF1092 0x20000 0x20000 0xC0F316 0xBDD2D1 0x72312119 0xC0C420 0xC1EB1B 0xC1EB2E 0xC20EDA 0xBDE353 0xAC86F4 0xACD8F8 0x5B2074 0x7585166B 0xB1A458 0xB1A45F 0x156EE80 0xAFA834 0xAFA856 0xAFA86E 0x7585166B 0x7585166B 0x5B25D9 0xB4094B 0x75851126 0xB40B59 0xD6286E 0xD6286E 0xD6286E 0x75AD0849 0xD6286E 0xB3C58E 0xB3C58E 0x1975A68 0xB648A6 0x1975A8C 0xED7198 0x14D8C08 0x734929BB 0x1975A68 0x73498CED 0x73492A47 0x75853677 0x77609D42 0x75879775 0x75879775 0x776403DD</stack>

<threads />

<screenshot />

<memdump />

<contextdata>registers: Edi 4c690000, Esi 30710010, Ebx 30710010, Edx 00000000, Ecx 00000004, Eax 4c690000 Ebp 0b9cfb5c, Eip 734a73bd, Esp 0b9cfb54</contextdata>

</report>

blackangelpr
12-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Yes.....

What drivers are you using for the audio? and what settings?

MarkS
12-30-2010, 08:26 PM
What drivers are you using for the audio? and what settings?

I'm using the R2.55 driver from Realtek - the one I mentioned in this previous post (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73Jh-GSOD-Vbios-Update&p=6590&viewfull=1#post6590).

I use the stock Creative software along with the latest Realtek drivers. The only Creative features I use are the bass boost and the equalizer.

On BFBC2 I use the "high" video setting and I've forced DirectX 11 in the settings.ini file....everything else default.

blackangelpr
12-30-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm using the R2.55 driver from Realtek - the one I mentioned in this previous post (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73Jh-GSOD-Vbios-Update&p=6590&viewfull=1#post6590).

I use the stock Creative software along with the latest Realtek drivers. The only Creative features I use are the bass boost and the equalizer.

On BFBC2 I use the "high" video setting and I've forced DirectX 11 in the settings.ini file....everything else default.

have try it already ... also i just finished testing the compromising R2.54 the SRS or Soround Sound System if is that the meaning where working unspectacular but while in BC2 Vietnam they halted after 30 minutes

Last test:
RealTek
File Version: 2.11.15.0
Product Version: R2.54

blackangelpr
12-31-2010, 01:10 AM
have try it already ... also i just finished testing the compromising R2.54 the SRS or Soround Sound System if is that the meaning where working unspectacular but while in BC2 Vietnam they halted after 30 minutes

Last test:
RealTek
File Version: 2.11.15.0
Product Version: R2.54

With the drivers mentioned above and setting the bc2 settings.ini SpeakerCount=0 as cero ... i was able to play for hours when the unit halt i reboot and very fy the temperatures every one was max out as the HWiNNFO32 says

do this temps are enough to halt the system?

30.12.2010 20:39:13 CPU Digital Thermal Sensor CPU#0 Core0 64.0 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 CPU Digital Thermal Sensor CPU#0 Core1 64.0 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 CPU Digital Thermal Sensor CPU#0 Core2 64.0 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 CPU Digital Thermal Sensor CPU#0 Core3 64.0 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 Intel PCH PCH Temperature 65.0 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 Intel PCH CPU Core 47.524 W
30.12.2010 20:39:13 S.M.A.R.T. ST9500420AS 38.0 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 S.M.A.R.T. ST9500420AS Airflow 38.0 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 S.M.A.R.T. ST9500420AS 36.0 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 S.M.A.R.T. ST9500420AS Airflow 36.0 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 ATI On-die @ GPU[#0] ATI Mobility RADEON HD 5870 (BROADWAY XT/GL) GPU Thermal Diode 62.0 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 ATI On-die @ GPU[#0] ATI Mobility RADEON HD 5870 (BROADWAY XT/GL) GPU TS0 (DispIO) 60.5 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 ATI On-die @ GPU[#0] ATI Mobility RADEON HD 5870 (BROADWAY XT/GL) GPU TS1 (MemIO) 62.0 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 ATI On-die @ GPU[#0] ATI Mobility RADEON HD 5870 (BROADWAY XT/GL) GPU TS2 (Shader) 61.5 C
30.12.2010 20:39:13 ATI On-die @ GPU[#0] ATI Mobility RADEON HD 5870 (BROADWAY XT/GL) GPU Fan Speed 30.00%
30.12.2010 20:39:13 ATI On-die @ GPU[#0] ATI Mobility RADEON HD 5870 (BROADWAY XT/GL) GPU Utilization 0.74%

Chastity@ASUS
12-31-2010, 05:14 AM
none of those temps would warrant temp protection shutdown. and why are you not using 2.55 for audio and hdmi driver?

blackangelpr
12-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Happy New Year Chastity (^_~) wish you and everyone here long life and happiness....

About the computer issues:
Yesterday i play for long hours without an issue but when reach night the system halted even while not in the game and sound disable... i have also try that audio but
this computer have been a pain to find what is wrong LOL .... i have no more clues may be the censors are not right? let me know if you have any other idea that i could try... *Cheers*

Chastity@ASUS
12-31-2010, 10:21 PM
start with the basics: update your Intel INF ( -overall), SATA drivers if using Intel's, and turn off in BIOS anything you don't absolutely need. (Camera, Wifi, Media Reader, etc) Update to current anything you are using, and see if it continues. If you are good, enable one thing at a time, and update their drivers to current. Repeat until all is good.

blackangelpr
01-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Hello there again: the update for the intel hardware that you give me, and drivers for the video have been working like hevean on Battlefield bad company 2 Thank you a million!!

blackangelpr
01-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Everyone could see the result from the 3DMark11 Basic Edition at: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/327987

getmealive
01-03-2011, 09:27 PM
thanks for this good salution, this helped me after I had GSOD with my damned G73JH. now I don't see FurMark v1.8.2 crashes anymore. but before it crashed several times before this fix. thanks, keep working on this.

Kornetto
01-05-2011, 08:48 AM
First of all Hi everybody :) I'm happy new user of G73JH and i've landed here beacouse of GSOD... dont want to explain how funny it was in my situation , i think some drivers made crasches , first in F1 2010 and than some times in 3dmarks and Asus control desk.I was trying to uninstall and install audio drivers beacouse screen artifacts started after installing realtek newest drivers (i dont know if i have problems to set up subwoofer , just have stereo speakers in configuration :/ , i will search later forum and maybe find solution :) )
@blackangelpr i did Benchmark result with HWiNFO32 when i saw there is something like that :) and i was wondering why You have Read Burst Rate: 10.69 MB/s , i have above 92 MB/s .... Maybe its off topic but for first post please excuse me all :)
Greets from Poland

blackangelpr
01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Greetings MR Kornetto,

Luckly we have been there already and have a solution for it :)

For your issue, my friend, please follow these setps:
1) follow the step provided at the first page of this forums to flash your Bios to ver. 211 and your raphic card bios also then as provided by asus you could use this driver:
2) unistal your video drivers and also utilize Driver Sweeper that can be found at: http://www.phyxion.net/
3) Reboot your G73JH and procced to download the newest driver provided by asus at: http://support.asus.com.cn/download/download.aspx?model=VGA&f_name=VGA_ATI_SG_Win7_32_Win7_64_Z877200.zip&f_type=1&os=30

or

Any other version that work best for your games...
or use another one of your preference....

4)update Intel INF Update Driver here:
http://support.asus.com.cn/download/download.aspx?model=Chipset&f_name=Chipset_Intel_INFUpdate_Win7_32_64_Z9111024 .zip&f_type=23&os=30

5) reboot agian

Thrust me it will make a big difference....

About my personal problem: Apparently it have been an issue between Battlefield Bad Company 2 audio c++ functions since they utilize DX9 to make the game and we are currently using DX11 and Realtek on board sound drivers but since they keep blaming each other to be the responsible i just buy an external USB sound card, so for gaming i will use that and for other things i keep using my regular G73JH speakers....

I hope this help you my friend if not.... I know Miss Chastity will do, she is great at this....

Best luck for you.

blackangelpr
01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
First of all Hi everybody :) I'm happy new user of G73JH and i've landed here beacouse of GSOD... dont want to explain how funny it was in my situation , i think some drivers made crasches , first in F1 2010 and than some times in 3dmarks and Asus control desk.I was trying to uninstall and install audio drivers beacouse screen artifacts started after installing realtek newest drivers (i dont know if i have problems to set up subwoofer , just have stereo speakers in configuration :/ , i will search later forum and maybe find solution :) )
@blackangelpr i did Benchmark result with HWiNFO32 when i saw there is something like that :) and i was wondering why You have Read Burst Rate: 10.69 MB/s , i have above 92 MB/s .... Maybe its off topic but for first post please excuse me all :)
Greets from Poland

Oh about the Read Burst Rate i will keep you posted... will try again after all changes to the laptop, so thank you for mentioning...

Chastity@ASUS
01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
http://tinyurl.com/2fr84z5

All your drivers and apps, plus an improved Intel INF installer. :)

Kornetto
01-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Thx ":) already been there.
Now im trying to do some overclocking , i think it will be stable with 800 core and 1100 mem . Tried 840/1070 (vantage 9405 , 2006 13004pts stable) but were bugs with mafia II benchmark , was loosing graphic card:/ .
I will set 800 to 1100 and put furmark on max details :)
btw, max GPU temp is 80degrees . I think its still off topic or? ^^
I think im happy with this score :)
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7436/furmark000000.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/i/furmark000000.jpg/)

dablemont
01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi there, I had to register just to express my gratitude for the tutorial video. If it wasn't for it, I'd never had the courage to do this process myself! Thank you.

sage99
01-06-2011, 03:46 AM
Hi Guys, just want to get your opinion whether i'll update the vbios - so far, not experienced any GSOD yet(crossing my fingers), been playing AC2, CIV4, torchlight, SC2 - so far the only problem experienced is on SC2, once exited from the game, the cursor appeared corrupted

everything on stock except for the BIOS - updated to 211

thanks in advance

Chastity@ASUS
01-06-2011, 04:46 AM
if you want to be able to use drivers past 10.1, you will need to update the vBIOS. kind of a given to say "yes, I will update." :)

sage99
01-06-2011, 05:45 AM
thanks sir chastity, currently downloading bc2 from steam, if encounters gsod then i'll use use version of vbios with od.

Fezteeny
01-06-2011, 09:04 PM
I tried to flash the vBios but every time i type in vflash, it says "BR38352.001 not found." it only shows BR38352. What happened to the .001

Fezteeny
01-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS!! I DID EXACTLY WHAT THE VIDEO SAID TO AND THE BR.... FILE STILL WONT LOAD!!! IT SAYS THAT THE FILE BR.....001 CANT BE FOUND!!

Fezteeny
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Oh................:)wait, i fixed it..:)..i used another .rar extractor

Chastity@ASUS
01-06-2011, 11:24 PM
<insert palmface graphic here>

Chastity@ASUS
01-08-2011, 06:04 AM
I made an updated vBIOS for the JH with some battery saving settings. On battery savings, I am getting about 3 hours browsing. :)

00: 700/1000 @ 1.15v (High Performance AC)
01: 400/500 @ 0.90v (Standard AC)
02: 400/500 @ 0.90v (UVD)
03: 100/150 @ 0.85v (Battery Savings Idle)
04: 300/400 @ 0.90v (Battery Saving Performance)

& Overdrive enabled

MD5 Checksum: 2B388F65A64C58622BEAD76D340F26F8
SHA-1 Checksum: 85939D8287CE8E4C29B46B6BBF3F981C7A00A6B0

File here (http://pcaudio.org/stuff/fix_od2.rar)

Oliver
01-08-2011, 02:46 PM
02: 400/500 @ 0.90v (UVD)

Hi Chastity!
First of all a big THANKS for the great job you did. I'm looking forward for your planned G73JH review and installation guide. (I think I read about those plans somewhere)

I'm going to try your new vbios, but will first check the clocks with the AMD Clock tool to see wether my NB likes it.

A short question: What stands "UVD" for? I saw in some threats and have no clue.

So long...
Oliver

Edit:

Damn, I actually really like that vbios, but my screen flickers like hell. I know it's not supposed to be dangerous, but it's annoying.
Going back to your first vbios (OD)....

Hellman4710
01-15-2011, 04:14 AM
if you want to be able to use drivers past 10.1, you will need to update the vBIOS. kind of a given to say "yes, I will update." :)

False, Ive been on the stock VBios for about 6 - 7 months on constant new drivers from the ATI Website, had GSOD here and there but never frequent, therefore your information is wrong, just like the rest of you on NBF, you all think that your information is right when you have barely any information to back it up.

Chastity@ASUS
01-15-2011, 05:12 AM
False, Ive been on the stock VBios for about 6 - 7 months on constant new drivers from the ATI Website, had GSOD here and there but never frequent, therefore your information is wrong, just like the rest of you on NBF, you all think that your information is right when you have barely any information to back it up.

Open up the HDD panel of your G73JH. On top you will see half of your GPU. On the GPU is a tag with your P/N (Part Number). It ends with a -C0x or a -C1x, where x = some number. This is your card's revision number. C0x cards are the original design cards that have no GSOD issues. C1x cards were modified by Asus for some revision of the memory, and timings were adjusted to reduce heat production. These are the cards with GSOD issues, and require the vBIOS update. Not all revisions were equally sensitive, so you may have gotten a good one. I got a C13, and it liked to GSOD often.

All of this was confirmed by Asus' R&D techs, as was the vBIOS update. Anything else you need corrected?

Fezteeny
01-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Id just like to say that none of you answered my last post.......so i just decided to fix it myself. I immediatly went to Alienware and bought the new R3 version. BAM PROBLEMO solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anybody else have the same issues i have should just give up until the company decides to build something without screwing up. Shame on you Asus....oh, by the way my Asus makes a pretty good doorstop...not to shabby!!

Chastity@ASUS
01-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Id just like to say that none of you answered my last post.......so i just decided to fix it myself. I immediatly went to Alienware and bought the new R3 version. BAM PROBLEMO solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anybody else have the same issues i have should just give up until the company decides to build something without screwing up. Shame on you Asus....oh, by the way my Asus makes a pretty good doorstop...not to shabby!!

Actually, you answered your own question by changing to a different rar extractor, and never came back with another problem. Sorry if you never fixed your issue. Enjoy your Alienware.

Fezteeny
01-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Actually, you answered your own question by changing to a different rar extractor, and never came back with another problem. Sorry if you never fixed your issue. Enjoy your Alienware.

O...after i typed that i decided to call customer support and they told me to F9 it. I thought to myself that that wouldnt work but he was sure that it was Windows update error. I dont have a lot on my laptop so i didnt bother backing it up and i did what he said. He said he was positbe about what he told me to do and so far i have had no issues.

Chastity@ASUS
01-15-2011, 07:38 PM
To be honest, I'm still a little fuzzy on what your original issue was, but I am glad that a restore of your installation fixed your issues for you. If you need any more help with some of the updates, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Fezteeny
01-15-2011, 07:49 PM
To be honest, I'm still a little fuzzy on what your original issue was, but I am glad that a restore of your installation fixed your issues for you. If you need any more help with some of the updates, don't hesitate to ask. :)

My original problem would be that my laptop Blue screened after a good 5 minutes of playing my favorite game-Metro 2033. That started to annoy me. Now i kinda regret buying the Alienware if i now have a great machine...*sigh*

Chastity@ASUS
01-15-2011, 10:25 PM
I take it from your posts that you have some variant of the G73JH model. Would you mind opening the HDD panel on the underside of the unit, and tell me what part number you have for your GPU? You'll see it as P/N and some long number ending in -C0# or -C1#. Also what BIOS and vBIOS do you have installed? You can get that info from the BIOS (f2 on POST) or from something like CPU-Z and GPU-Z, or HWINFO32.

Hellman4710
01-16-2011, 10:56 PM
@Chastity Id like to apologize to you for denying your facts, but sometimes on that forum it seems like half of the normals on there just **** out the info they post, but I respect you and your ability to back up your info. Anyhow I just flashed my vBios and i am satisfied i did, I didnt check what gpu number thing i had but i will soon.

Chastity@ASUS
01-17-2011, 01:22 AM
No offense taken, and thanks for the feedback. :) I'm interested to see what revision you have.

Hellman4710
01-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Im guessing Im one of the few lucky ones out there, the revision was C13 just like yours :O and I would rarely GSOD

Chastity@ASUS
01-17-2011, 09:37 PM
The point being you should not be GSOD'ing at all, which is why we have the vBIOS update.

Hellman4710
01-17-2011, 10:45 PM
I know lol :D Thats why i flashed mine :)

Hellman4710
01-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Hey chastity what are your idle clocks with the vBios supplied here from you? Is it still the same? The only difference being the battery clocks?

Chastity@ASUS
01-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Well, I have 2 versions out. Both have 700/1000 for performance stock settings.

fix_od.rom has 405/1000 for AC idle and UVD, and 250/500 battery mode
fix_od2.rom has 400/1000 for idle and UVD (to prevent flickering) and 100/150 for battery idle.

The new battery settings give me 2.5 hrs on Quiet Office, and 2.75 hrs on Battery Saving, tho it can be longer. (It reports 3 hr 11 min) Depends on what you are doing. I also disable the camera and ODD in Power4Gear Hybrid, plus Bluetooth.

Fezteeny
01-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Dear, Chastity...

We hope that you will soon buy the Alienware M17x R3 so that your genious can carry over towards other people. Im not saying that you should quit on Asus but that you should also try out something new...just in case mine blows up into smoke..maybe you could help the community out.

Thanks,
Fezteeny

P.S.....Join the dark side...we have cookies :)

Chastity@ASUS
01-19-2011, 12:21 AM
I'll be more than happy to supply support on the M17X-R3 when someone sends me one. ;)

Hellman4710
01-19-2011, 02:56 AM
Hmm, I have one last issue and I would like your help, when I put the computer onto battery mode the other day, it seems to make a high pitched noise coming from the GPU, and the noise is current when I have it on power but its not as loud. Do you have any idea what this could be?

Chastity@ASUS
01-19-2011, 03:05 AM
it's the circuits for the power supply. I usually get a mild case of that when on battery, but I haven't checked it in awhile. If it continues the only fix I know is a mobo replacement. I've always wondered if it's due to the grounding for the motherboard.

yzkiley
01-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Hi all

My first post on this site. I just purchased a g73jh at Bestbuy in Canada. Everything was working great for about 2 weeks and then slowly GSOD's started to occur and finally got to the point of leading me to your site. I followed your VBios update but used the modified version for afterburn feature. This computer already had bios version 211 and I had already updated ati drivers to 10.12. All I have to say is Thanks for the Vbios flash file and instructions. This PC runs like a champ now and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. No more crashes yah. Once again Thanks. Now back to fragging we go.........................

Chastity@ASUS
01-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Congrats on fixing your issue! +1 :)

Hellman4710
01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Should I be worried about it? Or will it cause no damage?

Hellman4710
01-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Never mind, I went looking around came up with a forum that gave me this, and it worked. Idk what registry i edited but i hope it doesn't harm anything.

http://asusnoise.blogspot.com/

Edit: Bad idea to do this, I looked at my CPU temps with the idle off and it idls at 60C on all cores, not gonna happen with me. I just hope the noise isn't going to do future harm.

Aroth
01-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Ok, I recently started getting the GSOD while playing games and decided to update the vBIOS. Unfortunately I do not have access to a USB flash drive or will I be able to in the immediate future. Any and all attempts to create a boot-able CD to install the vBIOS update have failed. Either it they hang up while loading DOS or they are unable to read the files on the CD that are outside of the boot sector. If someone could please make an ISO image and upload it somewhere for me I would greatly appreciate it. That or direct me to somewhere I can get a DOS boot-disc utility that can read SATA DVD-ROM drives.

z1411
01-29-2011, 10:41 AM
So since Ive bought this laptop, like many other people Ive had heating issues. Playing games for longer then 10 minutes resulted in my computer immediately shutting down. I bought a cooling pad awhile back, which actually increased my play time into increments of 20 minutes. Anyways, after I saw this post I was thrilled, I jumped right on it, and flashed my vbios... Sadly Ive seen no change. Im still idling at 80c. I did see that my clock speed changed, but it didnt seem to affect anything. Was wondering if there was anything else I could do...

Two more things, first off, I cannot get seem to get Catalyst to install / update. Im not sure if this is needed or required. I saw someone link it a few pages back. I downloaded mobility, when I run it it extracts the install files, and runs it. ATI catalyst pops up, asks me what language, and if I want to install or uninstall, I hit install and nothing happens. Ive tried running as admin, and Ive tried uninstalling and installing... Among a few other things.

Another thing is, Ive read on a few forums about the fans, and there being problems with them. Not being able to control the speed of them specifically. Most of my effort in trying to get this computer not to overheat was going into trying to get the fan speeds up to par, so I was curious to know if there were any known fixes on that front.

rfowler30
01-29-2011, 01:51 PM
before i flash my vbios i wanna get this clear. in order to use the updated vbios version with overdrive and lower timings for battery life. I just wanna get one thing clear, the od2 files in the rar i combine them with the 93vbios rar. only i remove the fix_od.rom and the updateod.bat, replace it with the fix_od2.rom and the od2.bat. then i make a flash drive, format it with the hp tool, then flash the vbios in the bios is that correct?

Chastity@ASUS
01-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Ok, I recently started getting the GSOD while playing games and decided to update the vBIOS. Unfortunately I do not have access to a USB flash drive or will I be able to in the immediate future. Any and all attempts to create a boot-able CD to install the vBIOS update have failed. Either it they hang up while loading DOS or they are unable to read the files on the CD that are outside of the boot sector. If someone could please make an ISO image and upload it somewhere for me I would greatly appreciate it. That or direct me to somewhere I can get a DOS boot-disc utility that can read SATA DVD-ROM drives.

I tried making a bootable ISO, but unfortunately this Caldera DOS' cd driver doesn't detect our SATA ODD. :( Kind of defeats our purpose.

Chastity@ASUS
01-29-2011, 10:00 PM
before i flash my vbios i wanna get this clear. in order to use the updated vbios version with overdrive and lower timings for battery life. I just wanna get one thing clear, the od2 files in the rar i combine them with the 93vbios rar. only i remove the fix_od.rom and the updateod.bat, replace it with the fix_od2.rom and the od2.bat. then i make a flash drive, format it with the hp tool, then flash the vbios in the bios is that correct?

1st you make the bootable USB drive, then copy atiflash.exe, fix_od2.rom and od2.bat to the usb drive. You can also add /win98boot files if you want more DOS command tools available.

Chastity@ASUS
01-29-2011, 10:02 PM
So since Ive bought this laptop, like many other people Ive had heating issues. Playing games for longer then 10 minutes resulted in my computer immediately shutting down. I bought a cooling pad awhile back, which actually increased my play time into increments of 20 minutes. Anyways, after I saw this post I was thrilled, I jumped right on it, and flashed my vbios... Sadly Ive seen no change. Im still idling at 80c. I did see that my clock speed changed, but it didnt seem to affect anything. Was wondering if there was anything else I could do...

Two more things, first off, I cannot get seem to get Catalyst to install / update. Im not sure if this is needed or required. I saw someone link it a few pages back. I downloaded mobility, when I run it it extracts the install files, and runs it. ATI catalyst pops up, asks me what language, and if I want to install or uninstall, I hit install and nothing happens. Ive tried running as admin, and Ive tried uninstalling and installing... Among a few other things.

Another thing is, Ive read on a few forums about the fans, and there being problems with them. Not being able to control the speed of them specifically. Most of my effort in trying to get this computer not to overheat was going into trying to get the fan speeds up to par, so I was curious to know if there were any known fixes on that front.

80C idle temps? Your thermal paste on the GPU has degraded, and needs to be redone. No firmware/software/cooling pad will change this. You can either look at the BTOTech vid for guidance on opening her up, or take it to an Asus ASP to have them repaste it for you.

z1411
01-29-2011, 10:49 PM
80C idle temps? Your thermal paste on the GPU has degraded, and needs to be redone. No firmware/software/cooling pad will change this. You can either look at the BTOTech vid for guidance on opening her up, or take it to an Asus ASP to have them repaste it for you.

Will applying it myself void the warranty? And will sending it in cost me? Its been like this since the day I bought it. As soon as I installed my first game, and ran it, it shut down. Ive scrolled through about a hundred (literally) threads about not being able to control asus laptop fan speed and that being a pretty severe issue. Im sort of stuck on the fan topic, because the cooling pad had such a drastic effect (10-15c difference in idle temp with it on), but still overheats. Theres many threads on the g73j laptop, but this question seemed more informed, and its about the c90s. This problem seems to be the general story of nearly every laptop, and I believe mine.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/186441-does-anyone-know-how-control-asus-c90s-fan-speed.html

Anyways, if it doesnt void the warranty then I would happily reapply the thermal paste myself. I assume it would be a long time without a laptop if I were to send in the computer to have them do it, and probably cost me a pretty penny. But either way, even with thermal paste, I would very much like my fans to work the way they should... >.<

Edit: Just played Minecraft for about an hour. Lol, temp shows it maxed at 100.5c. What temp does it need to be to start melting my ****? As far as I know Minecraft isnt the most heavy duty game out there >.>

Chastity@ASUS
01-30-2011, 01:53 AM
One of the first things you can try is utilizing a can of compressed air. I don't know how bad dust and cigarette ash is by you, but it's an easy fix to try. If that doesn't help, then you can RMA it. I suggested getting an RMA to do the repaste, so that you don't have to run a risk of having it gone forever in RMA Hell. Opening the case will void the warranty if you break something. :)

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-(Read-This-First) < Some info on overheating systems

cHaOserveR
01-30-2011, 11:56 AM
I tried making a bootable ISO, but unfortunately this Caldera DOS' cd driver doesn't detect our SATA ODD. :( Kind of defeats our purpose.

Here ya go

http://chaoserver.com/g73jh-aio.rar

made with dr dos, has the unaltered, od, and od2 on there

freshforfun
01-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Hi guys,

first of all thanks for the instructions for the flashing process, everything worked fine for me with the vbios update. In order to get a better performance, i decided to format my g73jh tz091v and did a fresh clean install just of the most important software like graphics and audio drivers, turboboost driver and so on. I also installed the newest driver of ati, 11.1, and i also tried 10.8. My biggest problem now is that i have a really bad performance while playing starcraft 2. Without doing the format and the original and standrad software of my notebook i had a framerate like 40 -55 fps, while having everything on ultra. Now i have a framerate like 30-40. I dont understand the behaviour of the notebook. Should the performance not be better with the vbios update and the newest ati driver? I just had the idea that the bad performance could have a connection with the higher resolution of the notebook after the vbios update (Now its at 1920 x 1080). And if this is the reason for the bad performance, where is the clue in updating the vbios ? I mean if the performance was better with the older vbios and the old drivers, i must admit that doing this update was really a wrong decision. Or did i do anything totally wrong?

I would be really happy if somebody of you can help me.

Greetings
freshforfun

Spanner_Man
01-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Without doing the format and the original and standrad software of my notebook i had a framerate like 40 -55 fps, while having everything on ultra. Now i have a framerate like 30-40.
Make sure SC2 is updated to v1.2.0

I just had the idea that the bad performance could have a connection with the higher resolution of the notebook after the vbios update (Now its at 1920 x 1080). And if this is the reason for the bad performanceThat would be why your running at a lower FPS. Change the game settings to the previous resolution that you had before hand if you must need the higher FPS.

where is the clue in updating the vbios ? I mean if the performance was better with the older vbios and the old drivers, i must admit that doing this update was really a wrong decision. Or did i do anything totally wrong?The performance change difference you see is because you can run games at a higher resolution. Turn down your settings until you have a balance between acceptable FPS, quality and resolution.

I have to point out though that the G73jh has a 60 Hz refresh time from what digging I've done on the OEM producer behind the LED screen. So your FPS will be no higher then 60.
For tweaking SC2 i suggest you read this (http://techspotlight.net/uncategorized/the-starcraft-ii-tweak-guide-improve-your-graphics-performance)

freshforfun
01-30-2011, 08:53 PM
thanks for you reply! I already tried to change the resolution to the old one, but when i do this there is lots of space left and right of the screen and it also does not really affect the fps rate, only like 3 fps more!

Spanner_Man
01-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Did you read the link i provided as well in regards to tweaking SC2 settings? Its at the end of my first reply to you.
And I think that this should be discussion be moved to another/new topic as its starting to drift away from the OP's

freshforfun
01-31-2011, 12:53 AM
yeah i did, and it worked fine for me ! I have now like 10-15 fps more, thank you a lot! But whats up with other games? So the only reason for less fps is really the high resolution? i really need to try some other games in order to check the fps rate... but for now thank you a lot man :)

Izekael
02-04-2011, 04:55 AM
I have a weird issue. I am getting the GSOD and driver restarts, but only when I have the steel series cataclysm mmo mouse in use. When I am using my razor mouse It works fine. Could the vbios still be causing the problem or the cata mouse?

Chastity@ASUS
02-04-2011, 02:40 PM
I would think the mouse drivers

Xero187
02-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks a million for the vBios update.

This laptop went from a disappointed return with truly promising performance, to my favorite new toy!

G73 + 120gb SSD & W7 = Awesomeness =)

ASUS FTW

rfowler30
02-06-2011, 04:14 PM
i don't know if other ppl have this issue after updating their vbios but i do. whenever i load cpuz it never shows the info of my gpu core, shaders, anything other than the ati mobility radeon 5800 series and 1024mb. also i read on the notebook review forum that ppl were able to use amd gpu tool on stock vbios, whenever i load that program it can't recognize any hardware supported. should i flash another vbios till i see my information or wut. i used the vbios on this post to change them. or could it be im not using asus windows 7 64, as ive read their os acts as an identification system or something like that. ALSO cpuz doesn't recognize I have a voltage for the cpu as well, is this an os issue or what.

mastersquall
02-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Well, I have 2 versions out. Both have 700/1000 for performance stock settings.

fix_od.rom has 405/1000 for AC idle and UVD, and 250/500 battery mode
fix_od2.rom has 400/1000 for idle and UVD (to prevent flickering) and 100/150 for battery idle.

The new battery settings give me 2.5 hrs on Quiet Office, and 2.75 hrs on Battery Saving, tho it can be longer. (It reports 3 hr 11 min) Depends on what you are doing. I also disable the camera and ODD in Power4Gear Hybrid, plus Bluetooth.

before flashing vbios with your vbios i replaced fix_od with fix_od2 . so i hope i did every thing ok :confused:

Christopher Thiesen
02-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi, i tried now with a number of usb sticks and i simply cant get the system to boot from it... I made the startup disk with the HPtool, unflagged quickformat, selected the windows98 folder, changed boot option to usb (well, pressing ESC too). and it cant find it. I noticed theres an EasyFlash option in the bios, so i tried putting the biosupdate in root but it doesnt show either. What could be the cause? are all my usbsticks unable to act as boot devices? I tried burning a cd but that didnt work either. In fact, ImgBurn usually notices when there are bootable files, and it didnt with this (ok so its windows98 but wth?) Is there no other way to achieve this? how do u guys flash multiple systems? cant i somehow do this through PXE ? WinPE? apparently my I/O's are busted, sometimes it doesnt even recognize the mouse and im forced to run a scan for hardware change in device manager... well, minor problem! but im starting to WISH for a BSOD.. thats how mad i am at the Green Son Of Drudgery....

Thank you in advance,

Chris.

Kari
02-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Thank you, your procedures worked well on a G73JH-A1 aprox 1 month old before it's brainwashing procedure.

BIOS 209, vBIOS from the 93vBIOSa.rar and ATI 10.11 Catalyst.

Works wonderfully and whole system seems to run aprox 10 C cooler. Both on gaming and idle internet surf. (surf at ~52 C) Game topography seems to be rendering far smoother as well.

Whole system is much quieter much of the time.

Kudos to Brian@ASUS and all the folks involved in this fix.

Kari

Hello again Brian and Chastity,

Should I update my machine to the newer drivers and Bios ... or sit put for now?

Everything works fine at the moment.

I guess the main question is whether the fixes are completed or an ongoing process?

Thank you for your reply,

Kari

Chastity@ASUS
02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
If everything is working, then sit tight and wait.

thyes
02-15-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm trying to flash my BIOS to version 211 (the one that fixes the GPU fan). Downloaded it from Asus' official site
http://www.asus.no/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81 (nevermind the .no, norwegian).
Saved the file on a USB thumb and rebootet my comp. When I'm in the BIOS and in Easy Flash, the computer can't find the USB thumb. I tried reformatting it, downloading the file again, and I've also tried all 3 USB ports on my PC. It won't find the file.

It seemed like the different "FS" sections were my HDD partions, because I recognized my folders in one of them.
What can I do to get this flash done?

Btw, I read somewhere that it was adviced to turn off the lights on the keyboard, the light bar right under the screen, and the 3 lights on the top left (lightswitch, overclock etc). But now the lights on my keyboard won't come on again. The bar and the buttons all light up, but not my keyboard.
When I start my PC, the keyboard has light for a few sec, but shuts down when further into the boot process. Annoying, how can I get the lights back on?

Chastity@ASUS
02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
The USB drive should show up as FS0, and I would have it formatted for FAT32. People using NTFS ones have had issues in the past with EZ Flash.

You can turn your lights up with FN+F4.

thyes
02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I found out how to turn on the lights again, lol @ me.
I have formatted the USB drive to FAT32, but it still doesn't show up :/

Brandan Tyler Lasley
02-19-2011, 07:18 AM
I have a problem with my Asus G73JH from best buy brought 3 months ago. I updated the vbios (it actually made it worse and more often) and I still have a problem where when i login to windows i can play around abit and then windows just freezes on and makes a weird sound or it crashes with a BSOD and it can't create a dump file so it just reboots.

I'm kinda just stuck in safe mode now and playing a game in safe mode is horrible even worse trying to do projects on.

any ideas?

Thanks

Chastity@ASUS
02-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Yes, update your Realtek audio and HDMI drivers from the stock ones. In fact, on my Driver and Application Reference page, you'll find a list of the current drivers. I'd do the audio ones already mentioned, plus the Atheros Wifi and LAN. Also, I would update the vBIOS as well.

Val
02-19-2011, 05:05 PM
My G73JH has only one problem - sometimes after exiting a game there is a short freeze and it says "Display driver stopped responding and was recovered". It may also happen when a game running and I push alt+tab . Sometimes it freezes completely, so I have to push power button. I use the latest vga driver and flashed vBIOS v93. Any advice how to fix this?