PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Pad for Asus ROG G550

metal_signature
09-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Hello, Im planning to get a cooling pad for my G550 Laptop. Im choosing between a CM-X3 or a CM-SF-15. Do any of you guys have experience using any of these two? Is the X3 enough to cool may laptop when I use my laptop? And my issue is that with the SF15 the laptop might be bigger than the cooling pad even though it says it supports 15.6". Any opinions on this? :)

Maxter
09-23-2014, 11:17 PM
no need for a cooling pad. Laptop was very well built. Cheers!

Darnassus
09-24-2014, 02:32 PM
no need for a cooling pad. Laptop was very well built. Cheers!

Mr Maxter >;x

Purchase a cooling pad if it keeps your mind at ease, just remember to use the unit on a hard flat surface.

Dr. Zchivago
09-24-2014, 02:44 PM
To add to Darnassus' comment, regardless of where the laptop drafts air in, heat conducts through the plastic downward as well as into the heat sinks, so you'll never do wrong by having a cooling pad.

For my G55vw, I use a cheap Targus riser that has two fans blowing air up, and I have noticed some (not much) difference in GPU operational temperatures, idling and under load.

Z

Darnassus
09-24-2014, 03:07 PM
To add to Darnassus' comment, regardless of where the laptop drafts air in, heat conducts through the plastic downward as well as into the heat sinks, so you'll never do wrong by having a cooling pad.

For my G55vw, I use a cheap Targus riser that has two fans blowing air up, and I have noticed some (not much) difference in GPU operational temperatures, idling and under load.

Z

Seriously? That CPU.. rock on.

What did you mean by "regardless of where the laptop drafts air in, heat conducts through the plastic downward as well as into the heat sinks."

And yeah there's no loss in having a cooling pad, when worst comes to worst and things start to get toasty for some random reason, that cooling pad you bought for that JUST IN CASE scenario begins to look very friendly..

I'll admit, I've turned on my cooling pad when I play top notch demanding stuff, brings my *C down by 10-15 on this unit. (30-40 on my old one) But I've got a special cooler. >;3

Dr. Zchivago
09-24-2014, 05:26 PM
What did you mean by "regardless of where the laptop drafts air in, heat conducts through the plastic downward as well as into the heat sinks."

The air pulled through the keyboard flows through the system, and picks up some of the ambient heat. Primary heat dissipates via the heat sinks in the back of the laptop, which absorbs heat from the heat pipes, which absorb from the CPU/GPU.

However, the energy disspated by the heat sinks doesn't account for all of the cooling. Since your lap/pillow/comforter and even your table-top absorbs some of the heat through the bottom of the laptop, the presence of that energy makes it more difficult for heat to be dissipated (like sitting in front of a fan in a hot room - if the air temperature is close enough to your body temperature, there won't be much cooling).

The solution: even with a laptop like ours - which drafts the majority of its cooling air through the top - the presence of a warm environment below prevents the system from cooling to its full potential (see the fan in the hot room). As you've pointed out, your cooler brings down your loaded temperatures, not because it's providing the cooling system with a steady supply of air, but because it is absorbing heat from the bottom of the case and the components that aren't connected to the air-cooling system (RAM, hard disks, wireless network adapter, etc.).

Z

Dr. Zchivago
09-24-2014, 08:32 PM
I've never taken apart my laptop - lol - but, the point is still valid.

Zero_Tyranos
09-26-2014, 02:35 AM
I've tried mine with a couple of games and was surprised how well the cooling system works, I think is not a bad idea to get a cooling pad, I use a cooler master cooling pad that its surface is aluminum that helps a little with heat dissipation, only be careful when placing the laptop over glass or that has a cloth over it and you'll be fine xD