PDA

View Full Version : Cannot change brightness settings G750JM

Mountian Man
09-23-2014, 02:58 PM
When I first got my notebook the brightness was working just fine. Throught the course of troubleshooting an issue with horizontal lines on the screen (which I was able to fix) I could not change the brightness at all on the notebook. This means the hotkeys don't work, windows can't change the brightness, and I have turned off all of the possible places that auto brightness could be active noted on this link: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6042-adaptive-brightness-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

I have tried installing the oldest drivers Asus recommends on the download page but I have not had success. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Does anyone know of a piece of software I may have uninstalled that could cause this to happen? I'd rather not reinstall the OS if I don't have to.

Prostar Computer
09-24-2014, 10:31 PM
It's hard to offer input considering we don't know what "through the course of troubleshooting" encompasses.

And when you say you tried installing the oldest drivers Asus recommends, which drivers are you referring to?

I understand a recovery or format + reload of Windows isn't ideal, but it may very well save you time in troubleshooting.

Darnassus
09-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Did you recently install a new NVIDIA driver..?

Kelusion
09-24-2014, 11:18 PM
When I first got my notebook the brightness was working just fine. Throught the course of troubleshooting an issue with horizontal lines on the screen (which I was able to fix) I could not change the brightness at all on the notebook. This means the hotkeys don't work, windows can't change the brightness, and I have turned off all of the possible places that auto brightness could be active noted on this link: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6042-adaptive-brightness-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

I have tried installing the oldest drivers Asus recommends on the download page but I have not had success. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Does anyone know of a piece of software I may have uninstalled that could cause this to happen? I'd rather not reinstall the OS if I don't have to.

Well you might have uninstalled the Hotkey related software which came along withit, nonetheless it would have helped a lot more, if we knew what did you removed and what did you did in-order to fix the Horizontal Lines issue?

You can go to the official Asus Driver Support webpage and install the following,

1- ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities (Expand ATK - Version V1.0.0033)
2- Keyboard Device Filter Utility (Expand Utilities - Version V1.0.0.5)

From here - http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JM&p=3&s=521

Restart your system and check it out, let us know :) if this resolves it or not.

Mountian Man
10-06-2014, 06:57 PM
I finally figured out the problem and this appears to be a general windows 8.1 problem not specific to ASUS computers...

Basically if Windows installs too many Monitor drivers in the device manager it somehow causes windows not to be able to adjust the brightness.

Go to Device Manager, under View select "Show Hidden Devices", go to the "Display Adaptors" and disable all video card drivers, go to the section "Monitors" and delete all monitors listed (windows can reinstall them if needed). After you re-enable the video card drivers brightness began working again. I believe this is a problem with ACPI and device detection on windows...

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing this sort of problem...I believe this caused "flashing" (the monitor turned on and off really fast after windows login) on a completely different laptop that had an Nvidia dedicated graphics card with the intel 4000 onboard...

hmscott
10-06-2014, 07:02 PM
I finally figured out the problem and this appears to be a general windows 8.1 problem not specific to ASUS computers...

Basically if Windows installs too many Monitor drivers in the device manager it somehow causes windows not to be able to adjust the brightness.

Go to Device Manager, under View select "Show Hidden Devices", go to the "Display Adaptors" and disable all video card drivers, go to the section "Monitors" and delete all monitors listed (windows can reinstall them if needed). After you re-enable the video card drivers brightness began working again. I believe this is a problem with ACPI and device detection on windows...

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing this sort of problem...I believe this caused "flashing" (the monitor turned on and off really fast after windows login) on a completely different laptop that had an Nvidia dedicated graphics card with the intel 4000 onboard...

Mountian Man, nice find/fix :)

I checked and I have 1 hidden duplicate Generic PnP Monitor as well!

I don't have any display issues that I have noticed, and I can set brightness ok too.

How many did you have showing as hidden before deleting them?

Mountian Man
10-06-2014, 09:59 PM
I had 9 showing up origionally. Everytime the laptop is connected to a screen it creates a new driver object. One of the drivers must have somehow become corrupt. I don't nessassarly think it was all of them that caused the problem, just one specific instance where the driver either did not install correctly, or was connected to the active monitor driver in a way it was not supposed to be.

hmscott
10-06-2014, 10:08 PM
I had 9 showing up origionally. Everytime the laptop is connected to a screen it creates a new driver object. One of the drivers must have somehow become corrupt. I don't nessassarly think it was all of them that caused the problem, just one specific instance where the driver either did not install correctly, or was connected to the active monitor driver in a way it was not supposed to be.

Mountian Man, sounds right. I only had 2, but oddly I haven't connected to an external monitor since rebuilding the RAID0 - I wonder how it got 2 builtin monitor entries? I deleted it and rebooted, it's still gone.

Thanks for the heads up on the issue/fix :)

hmscott
10-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Mountian Man, I thought "hey, maybe there are other hidden devices from other updates / installs", and then I looked...

I wonder if there is a quick way to clean these up... remove all hidden devices?

hmscott
10-07-2014, 12:31 AM
It turns out there is a way to find and remove all the hidden devices, or Ghosts as this program Ghostbuster calls them.

Remove/Uninstall Hidden(Ghosted) Devices
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/remove-uninstall-hiddenghosted-devices/

https://ghostbuster.codeplex.com/

I had 179 Chosts! And, 129 actual devices:

I right clicked on each Ghost, Selected Add Device, and sometimes whole groups of Ghosts got added to be removed and sometimes it was 1 Device / Ghost at a time.

I did it in several passes and made Restore Checkpoints, but nothing went wrong, and now I have a clean device list.

So far everything is still working :)

Mountian Man
10-07-2014, 10:18 PM
If this is the build of the laptop that ASUS installed maybe it installed more drivers than it needs? You can try removing them if you want, just scan for new hardware after if something isn't working.

It seems that ASUS doesn't use 'sysprep /generalize' which removes all non essential drivers from the OS when setting up the OOBE in the factory. That's about the only reason I can think of why you'd have so many installed drivers from disconnected devices...

GottiBoi55
10-07-2014, 11:13 PM

Thanks Mountain Man, I had a total of 11 monitors showing in my Device Manager.
I haven't had any issues, but I did uninstalled all grayed out listings.
I did run my Sharp Aqous 32" via the HDMI port couple of time, but I didn't think that would generate 10 monitors listed in Device Manager. (but it did)
Thanks again for sharing, that's a good find my friend.

GottiBoi55
10-07-2014, 11:25 PM
If this is the build of the laptop that ASUS installed maybe it installed more drivers than it needs? You can try removing them if you want, just scan for new hardware after if something isn't working.

It seems that ASUS doesn't use 'sysprep /generalize' which removes all non essential drivers from the OS when setting up the OOBE in the factory. That's about the only reason I can think of why you'd have so many installed drivers from disconnected devices...

I did run a test with my USB Flash drives, I uninstalled the drivers for them, then windows reinstalled them again once I inserted the thumb drives back in.
Windows will keeps those drivers for future use, for the next time you need to use that device, or any other device you use.

hmscott
10-08-2014, 12:45 AM

Mountian Man, it's likely my doing, I am often updating drivers and the Realtek one is a real winner sometimes, I forgot Sysbot interferes with installing the Maxx Audio WIzard, and so I went through a bunch of regressing and then remembered, and did a new install + I have had this build going since 1/1/14, so lots of installs / updates since.

I will try to remember to check when I do an Asus Backtracker restore to a new SSD, and run Ghostbuster to see if the out of the box install has any hidden Ghosts :)

armis71
10-27-2014, 11:40 AM
I can confirm that this brightness issue is with monitor drivers. I just ran across this again after I installed Teamviewer 9. The app has an option to install a monitor driver (which helps blanks out the screen when connecting remotely to your PC for privacy purposes). After uninstalling the monitor driver from Teamviewer, the screen brightness option started working again.