PDA

View Full Version : Should i buy from Tigerdirect?

WinterMisha
09-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Hello
I am looking for JS model and i found this one:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8991768&CatId=3985
Price is okay for me i dont really mind about ssd on top of it i get 16gb ram istead 12gb like anywhere else,should i buy from them?
Thank you you

Nate152
09-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Hello WinterMisha

Tigerdirect is a reputable online store to purchase from. I purchased a few items from there and they are always on time.

You will be glad for the ssd, an ssd makes a computer more snappy and start up and shut down times are faster too compared to an hdd.

If tigerdirect has the cheapest price for you then yeah go for it.

kahale
09-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Nooooo don't buy from them. If you run into problems exchanging it for a new one will cause you headaches. 15 day return exchange policy with prior manufacturers approval. NO RETURNS FOR REFUND. I bought a laptop that was faulty and now I'm dealing with asus with multiple rma's etc. It ain't worth the risk despite those low prices.

chrsplmr
09-23-2014, 09:16 PM
TigerDirect and NewEgg have both been good to me. .c.

WinterMisha
09-24-2014, 12:01 AM
hello
Well i could not find any better deal all the other sellers were offering 12gb ram and this one is 16 for 1500$ ONLY
Should be delivered to me at Friday very exided :P
THank you

Nate152
09-24-2014, 01:02 AM
You're welcome

Do you have some games ready to install when Friday comes?

WinterMisha
09-24-2014, 02:50 AM
Hello
Not really... i used to have JX and JM but i sold them out to my friends because of "BACKLIGHT BLEEDING"
you can check my video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKVIs8EUjU
I only hope that JS wont have same issue...
Thank you

GottiBoi55
09-24-2014, 04:09 AM
Good choice, and good price!
I purchased two "G series' from Tiger Direct, had no problems with both NBs.
This JZ I have now I purchased from Newegg.com, both reseller are good, only thing is New Egg has a 30 day return/exchange policy. (more time to test the NB)

Good luck, and congrats on your new JS;)

WinterMisha
09-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Good choice, and good price!
I purchased two "G series' from Tiger Direct, had no problems with both NBs.
This JZ I have now I purchased from Newegg.com, both reseller are good, only thing is New Egg has a 30 day return/exchange policy. (more time to test the NB)

Good luck, and congrats on your new JS;)
thank you

Darnassus
09-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Go find a store that's local to you. I myself bought it from a store in town ( I live like 2 hours away from it ) but I'd rather travel a couple hours playing Playstation on my iPhone than having to wait for months long of shipping.

Besides, you might be able to cut a deal.. I got 4 years free warranty with mine. ;3

I had 15 days to swap for a new unit, too if something went wrong.

WinterMisha
09-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Hello.
Its only gonna take 2-3 days and i allready ordered.
Should be there tomorrow i hope so

hmscott
09-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Hello.
Its only gonna take 2-3 days and i allready ordered.
Should be there tomorrow i hope so

WinterMisha, that's great, I am happy for you to be giving a G750 another try :)

You know what to test and what to look for given your previous experiences, and the only thing I can add is that I had good experience buying lots of high-end components from TigerDirect, and the one or two times I needed to return a Graphics Card that was DOA and the wrong memory shipped, TigerDirect was very quick and responsive in the return and credit or replacement.

I will cross my fingers that the JS is a keeper :)

WinterMisha
09-24-2014, 11:22 PM
WinterMisha, that's great, I am happy for you to be giving a G750 another try :)

You know what to test and what to look for given your previous experiences, and the only thing I can add is that I had good experience buying lots of high-end components from TigerDirect, and the one or two times I needed to return a Graphics Card that was DOA and the wrong memory shipped, TigerDirect was very quick and responsive in the return and credit or replacement.

I will cross my fingers that the JS is a keeper :)
Thank you
Really hope it wont bleed anything else is okay with me :)

GottiBoi55
09-25-2014, 01:29 AM
I had my JZ from Newegg.com in three days, and the shipping was "free".
Plus, I saved about $160 in sales tax, because Newegg.com is based out of the state of Florida.

WinterMisha
09-25-2014, 04:03 PM
I had my JZ from Newegg.com in three days, and the shipping was "free".
Plus, I saved about $160 in sales tax, because Newegg.com is based out of the state of Florida.

well looks like its going to be there today :D
will report later

WinterMisha
09-25-2014, 11:08 PM
Hello
just got it
ofc it have backlight bleeding ....
i have question box were sealed but there was no plastic on power button and web cam does it mean that laptop is not new and somebody already peal it off?

WinterMisha
09-26-2014, 03:08 AM
mmm
temps while browsing and youtube around 45c-60c
temps while gaming CPU 79c-80c GPU 80c
is that normal?way too high for asus no?

hmscott
09-26-2014, 03:54 AM
Hello
just got it
ofc it have backlight bleeding ....
i have question box were sealed but there was no plastic on power button and web cam does it mean that laptop is not new and somebody already peal it off?

mmm
temps while browsing and youtube around 45c-60c
temps while gaming CPU 79c-80c GPU 80c
is that normal?way too high for asus no?

WinterMisha, is the bleed offensive? Mine haven't been noticeable. Is it better than the last batch?

Are you running Power Plan Balanced? That helps keep temps down.

JM/JS/JZ all have a large section on the CPU enabled that the JW/JX/JH don't, the iGPU - and it is always active putting out the video signal even if it isn't actively doing rendering. That raises the average temp 10c over the previous generation. Your temps seem better than average - some JM/JS hover in the 90c range - with throttling while heavy load like gaming.

You can monitor thermal throttling with hwinfo64 - start it in Sensors Only mode, there is a Row for Thermal Throttling, start hwinfo64 before the game, and leave it on in the background, then come back to look to see if Thermal Throttling ever occurred during the runtime of the game.

You can mitigate the temps as well by using undervolting on the CPU with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility XTU - start at -50mV and work up/down from there. Range I have seen successful is -20mV to -125mV - make sure you are using negative offset not positive :)

hwinfo64 download - I use the BETA
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Intel XTU - 5.1.0.23 latest
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=xtu

It seems that the GPU cooling on the JM/JS/JZ isn't as aggressive , or as full reaching as the JW/JX/JH - on the JM/JS/JZ you need to manually turn on Full Fan Speed in the Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops provided on the JM/JS/JZ in order to get - well - Full Fan Speed :)

Give that a try to reduce the GPU temp, it is also a little higher than I would think it should be - mine stays in the 60-70c range.

WinterMisha
09-26-2014, 02:19 PM
WinterMisha, is the bleed offensive? Mine haven't been noticeable. Is it better than the last batch?

Are you running Power Plan Balanced? That helps keep temps down.

JM/JS/JZ all have a large section on the CPU enabled that the JW/JX/JH don't, the iGPU - and it is always active putting out the video signal even if it isn't actively doing rendering. That raises the average temp 10c over the previous generation. Your temps seem better than average - some JM/JS hover in the 90c range - with throttling while heavy load like gaming.

You can monitor thermal throttling with hwinfo64 - start it in Sensors Only mode, there is a Row for Thermal Throttling, start hwinfo64 before the game, and leave it on in the background, then come back to look to see if Thermal Throttling ever occurred during the runtime of the game.

You can mitigate the temps as well by using undervolting on the CPU with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility XTU - start at -50mV and work up/down from there. Range I have seen successful is -20mV to -125mV - make sure you are using negative offset not positive :)

hwinfo64 download - I use the BETA
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Intel XTU - 5.1.0.23 latest
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=xtu

It seems that the GPU cooling on the JM/JS/JZ isn't as aggressive , or as full reaching as the JW/JX/JH - on the JM/JS/JZ you need to manually turn on Full Fan Speed in the Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops provided on the JM/JS/JZ in order to get - well - Full Fan Speed :)

Give that a try to reduce the GPU temp, it is also a little higher than I would think it should be - mine stays in the 60-70c range.

Bleed is same as before on the right side of the screen...
GPU reaches 80c no matter what i set low balanced high its 80c same for the CPU 79c
My old JM never reach more then 61c on GPU but CPU were 83c
does anybody here have JS what temperatures you get?

hmscott
09-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Bleed is same as before on the right side of the screen...
GPU reaches 80c no matter what i set low balanced high its 80c same for the CPU 79c
My old JM never reach more then 61c on GPU but CPU were 83c
does anybody here have JS what temperatures you get?

WinterMisha, Balanced Power Plan with CPU min/max 0%/100% affects CPU temp between load peaks, frequency peaks, temp drops - when you have the High Performance Plan running the CPU min/max is 100%/100%, and the processor stays hot all the time - heat never gets a chance to dissipate and cool down. Sustained Max CPU of 100% on either plan has the same peak CPU temp.

GPU isn't affected by Power Plan.

Did you try enabling the Full Fan Speed through Asus GPU Tweak Tool for Laptops ? That should bring down the GPU temp.

WinterMisha
09-26-2014, 04:50 PM
WinterMisha, Balanced Power Plan with CPU min/max 0%/100% affects CPU temp between load peaks, frequency peaks, temp drops - when you have the High Performance Plan running the CPU min/max is 100%/100%, and the processor stays hot all the time - heat never gets a chance to dissipate and cool down. Sustained Max CPU of 100% on either plan has the same peak CPU temp.

GPU isn't affected by Power Plan.

Did you try enabling the Full Fan Speed through Asus GPU Tweak Tool for Laptops ? That should bring down the GPU temp.
full speed is very loud
i was just wondering is that okay?does everybody who owns JS have same temps?or just me that is all i want to know :)
thank you

hmscott
09-28-2014, 12:35 PM
full speed is very loud
i was just wondering is that okay?does everybody who owns JS have same temps?or just me that is all i want to know :)
thank you

WinterMisha, all the JM/JS report high temps, but Asus says that is ok, so it is up to you whether you run with Full Fan Speed or not - I would assume that since Asus includes the option they intend for it to be used. Some do some don't run it. I think the JZ is fine without running it, but some insist on running it anyway - I wouldn't enjoy the fan noise myself.

You will need to dig through the forums to find the reports, I think dblkk had a number of posts with temps / images of results for JS's and JM's, he went through a few before giving up. His app need required heavy rendering and the CPU temps were just too high for his use.

Please post some test run results for temps, images of hwinfo64 Sensors only view and GPU-Z Sensors tab for CPU/GPU benchmark/stress runs to see what you are seeing. Numbers help :)

WinterMisha
09-28-2014, 02:39 PM
WinterMisha, all the JM/JS report high temps, but Asus says that is ok, so it is up to you whether you run with Full Fan Speed or not - I would assume that since Asus includes the option they intend for it to be used. Some do some don't run it. I think the JZ is fine without running it, but some insist on running it anyway - I wouldn't enjoy the fan noise myself.

You will need to dig through the forums to find the reports, I think dblkk had a number of posts with temps / images of results for JS's and JM's, he went through a few before giving up. His app need required heavy rendering and the CPU temps were just too high for his use.

Please post some test run results for temps, images of hwinfo64 Sensors only view and GPU-Z Sensors tab for CPU/GPU benchmark/stress runs to see what you are seeing. Numbers help :)
15min of dota 2

hmscott
09-28-2014, 02:52 PM
...15min of dota 2

WinterMisha, when hwinfo64 starts it comes up with a dialog that says:

Select Sensors only, then you get a more detailed list of results, including Thermal Throttling, which you want to watch. As long as you aren't Thermal Throttling, the temps are fine.

Those DOTA temps are low, so nothing to worry about there. If you run with vsync limiting FPS to 60 max, you can disable vsync and let it run wide open at full FPS, and that might run temps up to max.

If you run prime95, Heaven, Furmark, and look at the hwinfo64 sensors output, and the GPU-Z output, you can see the max temps possible on your CPU/GPU - normal gaming won't stress the CPU/GPU enough - some games will, but not most

Prime95 home, download and run FFT some RAM, highest CPU/Power load
http://www.mersenne.org/

Heaven Benchmark
https://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Furmark home
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

GPU-Z ROG version - click on Sensors tab for temps / freqs / volts / etc.
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2397/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-7-9-w-asus-rog-skin/

More testing! :)

WinterMisha
09-29-2014, 12:10 AM
WinterMisha, when hwinfo64 starts it comes up with a dialog that says:

Select Sensors only, then you get a more detailed list of results, including Thermal Throttling, which you want to watch. As long as you aren't Thermal Throttling, the temps are fine.

Those DOTA temps are low, so nothing to worry about there. If you run with vsync limiting FPS to 60 max, you can disable vsync and let it run wide open at full FPS, and that might run temps up to max.

If you run prime95, Heaven, Furmark, and look at the hwinfo64 sensors output, and the GPU-Z output, you can see the max temps possible on your CPU/GPU - normal gaming won't stress the CPU/GPU enough - some games will, but not most

Prime95 home, download and run FFT some RAM, highest CPU/Power load
http://www.mersenne.org/

Heaven Benchmark
https://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Furmark home
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

GPU-Z ROG version - click on Sensors tab for temps / freqs / volts / etc.
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2397/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-7-9-w-asus-rog-skin/

Most testing! :)
after running Heaven Benchmark for 3h is that any good?

hmscott
09-29-2014, 01:33 AM
...after running Heaven Benchmark for 3h is that any good?

WinterMisha, that's great, but a 15 minute run would have been enough.

When you run Furmark, it has a built-in 15 minute burn-in test.

Prime95 runs hot, so don't run it longer than 10-15 minutes.

So far so good :)

WinterMisha
09-29-2014, 02:00 AM
Well i had to leave for work so i left Heaven running after 3h i come back and that's what i got
So your saying those are god temperatures for a brand new few days old laptop?

GottiBoi55
09-29-2014, 02:03 AM
after running Heaven Benchmark for 3h is that any good?

Check out this link below from another thread, I ran FurMark @ full on 100% stress for one hour, and CPU was very stable!
At first the FurMark full on stress shocked the CPU to 95c, but after about 10 minutes the temps settled down to around 78c to 87c on average.
(No thermal throttling what so ever)
Now my idle temps hover around between 35c to 37c, and with web surfing they will hover around 47c to 49c.
(Very respectable temps IMO)

Hey guys for some reference points, these are my... (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51496-Asus-g750jm-running-hot.&p=436375#post436375)

hmscott
09-29-2014, 02:11 AM
Well i had to leave for work so i left Heaven running after 3h i come back and that's what i got
So your saying those are god temperatures for a brand new few days old laptop?

WinterMisha, yes, those are better than average JS temps :)

Also, be careful, I wouldn't leave long running tests unattended for a while - what if it HACF'd ? (halted and caught fire!)

When you are sure things are ok after some testing, then I let jobs run 24/7 - as long as I am sure the room is ventilated and it will stay cool enough to cool the hardware while I am gone.