PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on the G750JZ/M/ screens

JerJer123
09-25-2014, 08:37 AM
I currently have the G74SX (a very old model of the G series) that I purchased back in 2011/2012. I'm thinking about upgrading to the newer model -probably the G750JZ, since it has the best Gfx card - in a few months.

I'd like to know how the screen quality is for users with this laptop, or any of the versions of the G750J* with the new 800Ms.

I'm very concerned because I've seen numerous reports/complaints of the screen on these laptops to be "bad". I see alot of users report issues of seeing horizontal or vertical lines in the screens on dark background. This is worrying to me because the G74 had the same issue years ago (luckily I was persistent with Nvidia and they fixed the issue in a driver update.)

I know the screen is Matte, which will be different than my glossy screen, so I would like to know what you all think of your models...and if you have experienced the vertical lines issue and if there was a fix.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

JerJer123
09-25-2014, 04:20 PM
bump

swaaye
09-25-2014, 06:42 PM
In my opinion, the biggest disappointment with the 17.3" LCD options is they are all TN and have poor viewing angles. It doesn't take much of an off-angle to throw off the color and gamma. I've used two AUO models and an LG panel and all aren't great in this respect.

The other aspects are mostly personal preference. My ideal screen is probably a matte IPS panel. Though in a dark room, gloss panels are really crispy clear and that's nice too. Gloss panels also tend to be brighter. The diffuse matte layer of course reduces the backlight effectiveness a bit.

KoolASUS
09-25-2014, 07:53 PM
I have a G750JH. AUO219D screen. vertical lines. Never fixed by Asus, never will be. recent Nvidia drivers are "cheating" by introducing a weird "grid" pattern. (I have still the 311.83 driver)

Only fix : to buy an Alienware (with 980M :rolleyes:), when it will be out. Plus, on Alienware, Optimus can be disabled very easily. And you can get a glossy 3D screen.

do NOT buy an Asus now. The Geforce 980M will ship in one month. (again, Alienware users can easily upgrade the GPU. with Asus, it's impossible)

I'll shut up now. mods or "mods-like people" don't like it when you complain about Asus, here............

swaaye
09-26-2014, 02:48 AM
The problem is there aren't many 17.3" LCDs to choose from to put in these notebooks. I think the best one is the 3D screen. It has been this way for years.

JerJer123
09-26-2014, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Others, feel free to chime in :)

Jaitsu
09-26-2014, 07:43 AM
I have no problem with "vertical lines" or anything on my G750JM, but what I do seem to have is an issue with the panel not being sealed properly, or something. I have ~7 pixels that seem to "leak" light (they aren't stuck on or off, but against certain colors, they're too bright) and one big unsightly grey dot several pixels wide near the bottom edge of the screen where it appears to have allowed some dust in between the screen layers, that won't come out.

For details on the odd pixels: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?50556-Strange-sort-of-dead-pixels-enough-for-an-RMA&country=&status=