PDA

View Full Version : Stable GPU Tweak? (Program version itself)

Darnassus
09-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Which is the most stable GPU Tweak?

One problem is it keeps reverting my custom screen Hz, even after I specifically set it both in NVIDIA Control Panel and GPU Tweak itself.. (I've worked around it by deleting all the profiles and resetting it all.)

The other is GPU Tweak keeps crashing and refuses to work unless I reboot the unit.

I'm using the second latest now, moving onto the third..

Win 8.1 G750JX (No Optimus)

hmscott
09-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Which is the most stable GPU Tweak?

One problem is it keeps reverting my custom screen Hz, even after I specifically set it both in NVIDIA Control Panel and GPU Tweak itself.. (I've worked around it by deleting all the profiles and resetting it all.)

The other is GPU Tweak keeps crashing and refuses to work unless I reboot the unit.

I'm using the second latest now, moving onto the third..

Win 8.1 G750JX (No Optimus)

Darnassus, I have been stable on 2.6.7.0 for a while, but I have to click on a profile number after booting to set the speed, it comes up at default speed. Not such a bad thing, but not optimal.

Darnassus
09-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Know a version prior without that bug? It stuffs up my screen Hz if I need to do that.. :'c

hmscott
09-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Know a version prior without that bug? It stuffs up my screen Hz if I need to do that.. :'c

Darnassus, if you have your Nvidia Control Panel set to a Custom resolution at the same HZ as Asus Tweak Tool, you won't have that problem. I have my Custom resolution set to 1920x1080 @ 70hz, and Asus Tweak Tool Profiles set to 70hz.

Darnassus
09-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Yes that's what I've done. That's not my problem anymore.

My problem now is the GPU Tweak sometimes is crashing when I try to open it

hmscott
09-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Yes that's what I've done. That's not my problem anymore.

My problem now is the GPU Tweak sometimes is crashing when I try to open it

Darnassus, what version are you running?

Darnassus
09-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Second latest.. 2.6.9, after leaving 2.7.1.8

hmscott
09-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Second latest.. 2.6.9, after leaving 2.7.1.8

2.6.7.0 is the newest stable version I found... 2.6.9.0 crashes on me too. I am running 344.11 Nvidia driver.

Darnassus
09-26-2014, 04:27 PM
God damn it.

Thanks hmscott, saved me two re-installs. I'll stick to this one and install it next time the program crashes.

Darnassus
09-30-2014, 12:32 AM
Crashed.. 4th latest. (2.6.7.0)

Darnassus
09-30-2014, 01:07 AM
Seems it crashes every time I play a game that forces my refresh rate back down to 60, when I have it set at 85.

AshernFive
09-30-2014, 01:32 AM
I recently updated GPU Tweak 2.7.1.8 on the 26th, and since then, my G750JM has randomly shut off. 80% of the time. I just started researching it after it happened the 2nd time, and I found this thread.

I went to Asus and looked for any updated drivers and GPU tweak was the only one I found that had an update available, so I'm starting to think that GPU tweak is what is causing this. The first time, I was running a game, GuIld Wars 2, and out of nowhere my laptop shut off completely. All else I had running was iTunes and a firefox browser (that only had about 5 tabs up). I was hoping that it was the occasional hickup (by now, I should expect that something is seriously wrong the first time it happens instead of shrugging it off).

Today it happened again while I was in Autodesk Maya, and it definitely wasn't an overheating occurrence because the scene I had open was not large at all, and to my knowledge, the laptop wasn't blowing out much heat. So should I uninstall this version of GPU Tweak and find an older one? Or just system restore?

meankeys
09-30-2014, 02:15 AM
I say the latest version is very buggy. I'ts been crashing on me as well. I run win 7 64 R4BE Asus R9 295X2 . I also would like them to fix the full wegit so that it will start when windows restarts. It does not seem to remember my settings.
ty

AshernFive
09-30-2014, 03:06 AM
Just an update, now playing the same game in the same environments that I've been playing usually -- in such environments, it never gets much past 55*c, but now the fan seems to be running hot on the CPU side. I'm probably gonna do a system restore tomorrow to before I installed this new gputweak.

hmscott
10-03-2014, 08:53 PM
2.6.7.0 is the newest stable version I found... 2.6.9.0 crashes on me too. I am running 344.11 Nvidia driver.

AshernFive, the CPU was running cooler on the same laptop? Did you use XTU to increase the multiplier? That would increase the temps, if you didn't balance the speed increase with an Undervolting setting.

Also, if you moved from a Balanced Power Plan to a High Performance Power Plan, the CPU speed never drops, and the CPU can't cool off in between usage peaks. That can increase the average CPU temp too.

Also important to note, the JW/JX/JH use the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphic Cards, and the JS/JM/JZ use the Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops. The latest version for the JM/JS/JZ would be v1.0.9

Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, release 2.6.7.0 for the G750JW/JX/JH is the newest stable version reported.
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics%20cards&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa

Darnassus
10-04-2014, 04:13 AM
Well, 2.6.7.0 isn't stable to me, it seems.. crashed when minimising on Wash Doges

hmscott
10-04-2014, 04:25 AM
Well, 2.6.7.0 isn't stable to me, it seems.. crashed when minimising on Wash Doges

Darnassus, do you mean the laptop crashes after applying the 2.6.7 profile? Or it crashes later while playing the game?

The 2.6.9.0 crash I got was in the Tweak app, not a game.

If you are getting a crash in a game, that is not Tweak tool itself, it is the OC settings - reduce them :)

Try setting default in Tweak tool, then test again. Eliminate the OC itself as the problem, just leave the Tweak settings at defaults.

Darnassus
10-04-2014, 05:34 AM
No no I mean the GPU Tweak program just stops responding. That's why I am looking for another version.

When I open it to check my temps, it just hangs, then dies.

hmscott
10-04-2014, 10:35 AM
No no I mean the GPU Tweak program just stops responding. That's why I am looking for another version.

When I open it to check my temps, it just hangs, then dies.

Darnassus, once I set the speed by picking Profile 1 or 2 at boot time, I click the X on both panes to close them, exiting the program. Once the speed has been set Tweak Tool doesn't need to keep running - unless you want to use it for temp/speed monitoring - but I use the standalone TechPowerUp GPU-Z ROG version - so I don't need to keep Tweak tool load and running.

But, then again, I often just let Tweak tool run, and it runs fine for hours, and never crashes when I open it.

Maybe try an older version than 2.6.7.0 ?

AshernFive
10-05-2014, 05:47 AM
Sadly I don't know much about changing the settings in GPU Tweak. I haven't altered any settings since I installed the update. I haven't had my computer crash since I last posted, and I also haven't done a system restore. Can I ask, what is the difference between GPU Tweak for GFX cards, and GPU Tweak for laptops?

hmscott
10-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Sadly I don't know much about changing the settings in GPU Tweak. I haven't altered any settings since I installed the update. I haven't had my computer crash since I last posted, and I also haven't done a system restore. Can I ask, what is the difference between GPU Tweak for GFX cards, and GPU Tweak for laptops?

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Graphics-Cards&p=387929&viewfull=1#post387929

AshernFive
10-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Oh thanks. It seems I installed the GPU Tweak for GFX Cards on my G750JM. Even though I haven't changed any settings, I think I'll uninstall it and update my Tweak for Laptop. (There's nothing that will mess up when I uninstall it is there)?

hmscott
10-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Oh thanks. It seems I installed the GPU Tweak for GFX Cards on my G750JM. Even though I haven't changed any settings, I think I'll uninstall it and update my Tweak for Laptop. (There's nothing that will mess up when I uninstall it is there)?

AshernFive, when I tried Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops on my JH, I uninstalled the 'for Graphics cards version and when I found the 'for Laptops version didn't work, I uninstalled it before reinstalling the 'for Graphics cards version.

To be safe I would uninstall both, starting with the most recent installed app, and then install the 'for Laptops version.

The latest version is v1.0.9, is that what you had installed?

If you are looking for OC capability, you can simultaneously have installed MSI Afterburner to set the GPU and memory frequency - make sure you have the OC switch in 'for Laptops disabled first.

I haven't done this myself, so search in the forum for other JM/JS/JZ user reports - I haven't seen many and don't have a link handy. If you do find them, please post reference links here.

Good luck :)

AshernFive
10-06-2014, 02:42 AM
Apparently my 'For Laptops" was on v1.0.5, so I'll uninstall both the for GFX and For Laptop and then just install the updated For Laptop. Thanks for the info, never would have known there was even a difference!

meankeys
10-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Hopefully they will hear our feedback and fix some of the things we our talking about. I would love for them to fix the full wegit thingy to boot to the wegit instead of having to set it every time I reboot.

ty