PDA

View Full Version : StartUp Not Working

Brandon1993
09-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Hello everyone,

A few days ago one of the hard drive's in my g750 died on me (2 months out of warranty:(:(:( ) So i brought it to best buy to get a new one put in. When i picked it up today i noticed they actually installed window's 8.1 onto it and when i go to restore it back to factory settings it says my disc is invalid....

Anyone know if theres a quick and easy way to be able to restore my g750 without it?

Thanks

hmscott
09-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Hello everyone,
A few days ago one of the hard drive's in my g750 died on me (2 months out of warranty:(:(:( ) So i brought it to best buy to get a new one put in. When i picked it up today i noticed they actually installed window's 8.1 onto it and when i go to restore it back to factory settings it says my disc is invalid....
Anyone know if theres a quick and easy way to be able to restore my g750 without it?
Thanks

Brandon1993, was it the boot drive that failed? Or the secondary storage drive that failed? I am assuming Boot drive because BestBuy shouldn't have reloaded your OS if it was a secondary drive failure - or did they?

BestBuy should know better than the to put a standard Windows 8.x install on an Asus G750. The G750 has a recovery partition, which can be backed up to a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive to use as a restore/recovery boot device.

You didn't mention which model G750 you have, JW/JX/JH? You can ask BestBuy to opne the box and use one of your model to create that recovery flash drive with Asus Backtracker, and then they/you can use that recovery flash drive to reinstall the OS to the boot drive - be sure and pull out the secondary drive if you want to preserve data on it - and disconnect any USB HDD/SSD you have connected as the recovery program blows away all the partitions it finds and recreates them as they were out of the box.

Even though you are out of warranty you could have asked Asus to fix the drive - they will most of the time - if you are close enough to the end of the warranty - 2 months is likely ok. You can also now ask Asus to RMA the laptop to restore the OS. You might ask BestBuy for your old drive and money back if Asus will RMA and replace the dead drive for you - it's worth asking.

Set up a login, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry asking Asus to replace the dead HDD here:
https://vip.asus.com

Please come back and let us know how Asus/BestBuy fix this for you :)

Brandon1993
09-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the reply hmscott!

I believe its the JW (765M, 2x 750 GB HardDrive, 12 GB of ram)

Oh wow I didnt think ASUS would of possibly just fixed it for me, not gonna lie though big reason I brought it BestBuy was so I could have it back quicker lol.

Im not very computer savy so I honestly wouldnt have a clue what im doing with the flashdrive and whatnot.

Prostar Computer
09-29-2014, 03:10 PM
As long as it works then you don't necessarily need the recovery partition for the original Windows 8 install/image from Asus' factory. You can make your own recovery image using Windows or any third party utility, and keep that as your recovery image.

Since you mentioned being not very computer savy though, you can ask Best Buy to do this, or you can request that either they or Asus' restore the system to its factory image. If Best Buy will do it, they will probably need to order recovery media from Asus which will cost you.

hmscott
09-29-2014, 05:13 PM
As long as it works then you don't necessarily need the recovery partition for the original Windows 8 install/image from Asus' factory. You can make your own recovery image using Windows or any third party utility, and keep that as your recovery image.

Since you mentioned being not very computer savy though, you can ask Best Buy to do this, or you can request that either they or Asus' restore the system to its factory image. If Best Buy will do it, they will probably need to order recovery media from Asus which will cost you.

Prostar Computer, Asus doesn't sell/provide recovery media for the G750 series. You need to send in the entire laptop for RMA and then Asus will restore the original install.

That is why it is so important to let users know they need to create an Asus Backtracker flash recovery USB 3.0 16GB drive - before doing anything else - if they blow away the recovery partition and haven't created the Asus Backtracker flash recovery USB 3.0 16GB drive, they are on their own trying to recreate the OS install on their G750, unless they RMA the laptop back to Asus.

As a provider of G750's you might consider including an Asus Backtracker created USB 3.0 16GB flash drive made from the G750 you are shipping to clients - I wish Asus would do that - but they don't.

If a USB 3.0 16GB recovery media were included with G750's it would save many people from the sorrows that result from not having separate recovery media included / available for purchase.