PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JM and Windows 10 Techincal Preview - Not working good atm.

kaltoreth
10-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Hello.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up if you wanna install the Windows 10 Tech preview on your asus g750XX.

DONT! (Atleast not yet ..)

Optimus, which we all love and adore, will not work atm. Windows 10 doesnt recognize the swapping, and if you try to play games, you will get some weird error about the Nvidia 8XX card is not ready etc.

So wait for Nvidia to release some Windows 10 TP beta driver before you install it :)

Save you some time, since atm it wount work.

WIth that said, Win 10 looks AWSOME and working in the environement is pretty awsomesauce. Cant wait for a working driver to be released :)

hmscott
10-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Hello. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up if you wanna install the Windows 10 Tech preview on your asus g750XX.
DONT! (Atleast not yet ..)...

kaltoreth, I find Virtualbox is a good way to test new OS's, and also keep multiple VM's on my G750JH for doing Linux development work.

Windows 10 Preview runs on Virtualbox 4.3.16, but the Guest Additions won't install, so Display Adapter driver is the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter - not the best performance.

Here is a quick how to on setting up a Windows 10 VM if you haven't used Virtualbox before:

How to install Windows 10 Technical Preview on Oracle VirtualBox
http://betanews.com/2014/10/01/how-to-install-windows-10-technical-preview-on-oracle-virtualbox/

Download VirtualBox
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Download Windows Technical Preview
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-download?ocid=tp_site_downloadpage

For me the install booted, started, and completed - but it ended in a black screen - I waited for idle disk indication (on Virtualbox and disk light on G750JH), and used the Virtualbox "reset" menu item, and the Windows 10 VM booted up fine. Updates for Virtualbox/Guest Additions should help smooth out this process.

I did a Windows Update within the VM, and installed 2 updates.

kaltoreth
10-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Hey man :)

Yeah, im running the W10 on virtual box aswell :) And as you can see on the picture i added, i did run it on Virtual plattform for a day or two before formating my computer and installing it.

But I wanted to test it out "live" on my comp. I refreshed it an hour after installation, and atm running it on Virtualbox in fullscreen mode
(When im not playing)

Its a great OS, and everytime i minimize and go down to my live system, i miss the Desktops, I miss the Start button, i miss the small graphical thingies etc :)

Asap when Nvidia releases a new driver, I will go back to W10 on my ASUS as main OS :)

hmscott
10-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Hey man :)
Yeah, im running the W10 on virtual box aswell :) And as you can see on the picture i added, i did run it on Virtual plattform for a day or two before formating my computer and installing it.
But I wanted to test it out "live" on my comp. I refreshed it an hour after installation, and atm running it on Virtualbox in fullscreen mode
(When im not playing)
Its a great OS, and everytime i minimize and go down to my live system, i miss the Desktops, I miss the Start button, i miss the small graphical thingies etc :)
Asap when Nvidia releases a new driver, I will go back to W10 on my ASUS as main OS :)

kaltoreth, do you use ClassicShell or some other Windows "Start" menu add-on with Windows 8.x? It helps :)

So far, I'm not at all impressed with the ever increasing list of shinny flashy tiles added to the start menu - it doesn't add anything functional as far as I can tell over a simple pop up list - and I can fit a lot more items in a simple text or much smaller icon list.

I have already seen some start menus with so many tiles that when it pops up it covers the screen - I wonder if I can add so many it scrolls off screen - I wonder how W10 solves that problem.

I liked it better when the tiles were banished to their own page, which I could ignore :)

Anyway, it is nice and pretty, and I could live with it.

There may be many more drivers that aren't functional with W10 than the Nvidia driver. Did Wifi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, Realtek sound, etc work ok with W10?

It's odd that Nvidia didn't come out with a W10 driver for the preview release, I think they did for Vista, Win7, Win8...

kaltoreth
10-04-2014, 06:04 PM
hmscott - Yeah mate. Im using classic Shell :)

All drivers worked for me. I backed up my eSupport drivers folder and installed all missing drivers via that folder.
The only problem I have, which mostly everyone with Optimus have atm, is that W10 is having problems with the swapping of GFX cards.
EDIT - THats not W10's fault. The Nvidia drivers needs to adapt. Which will happen soon. And this is a Technical Preview - One does not install a Tech Preview without excepting some issues :)

I kinda really liked the tiles on the Start menu :) But for me, but im a Nerd. Been once since mid 80's - So flashy and new - Im sold haha :)

hmscott
10-04-2014, 06:17 PM
hmscott - Yeah mate. Im using classic Shell :)

All drivers worked for me. I backed up my eSupport drivers folder and installed all missing drivers via that folder.
The only problem I have, which mostly everyone with Optimus have atm, is that W10 is having problems with the swapping of GFX cards.
EDIT - THats not W10's fault. The Nvidia drivers needs to adapt. Which will happen soon. And this is a Technical Preview - One does not install a Tech Preview without excepting some issues :)

I kinda really liked the tiles on the Start menu :) But for me, but im a Nerd. Been once since mid 80's - So flashy and new - Im sold haha :)

kaltoreth, as it is, with just a few flashy tiles it is liveable, but I am looking forward to users with a zillion tiles in their start menu and getting a desktop lock up ;)

Here is a thread on Windows 10 Nvidia drivers, in a Nvidia driver forum I watch for updates :

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393430

They say W10 came with 340.52, and updating to 344.11 breaks the Nvidia Control panel, so maybe if you regress to 340.52 it will work?

Windows 10 Start Menu Tiles - Problem solved :)

How to Make the Windows 10 Start Menu Look More Like Windows 7
http://www.howtogeek.com/197586/how-to-make-the-windows-10-start-menu-look-more-like-windows-7/?PageSpeed=noscript

Or, if you want the Windows 8.x Start Screen Back...

Kill the Start menu and get the Start screen back in Windows 10
http://betanews.com/2014/10/03/kill-the-start-menu-and-get-the-start-screen-back-in-windows-10/

Tindreal
10-04-2014, 08:39 PM
I have tried Windows 10 with ASUS G750JZ and so far it is almost the same experience as Win 8.1.

3D gaming performance is about the same, however after I have installed all drivers, the windows desktop became laggy/choppy.

Oh and currently there is a bug with DX9 so it is hard to show FPS in games, since FRAPS does not start and MSI Afterburner disables the 880M after about 30 sec of gameplay.

hmscott
10-05-2014, 12:49 AM
I have tried Windows 10 with ASUS G750JZ and so far it is almost the same experience as Win 8.1.
3D gaming performance is about the same, however after I have installed all drivers, the windows desktop became laggy/choppy.
Oh and currently there is a bug with DX9 so it is hard to show FPS in games, since FRAPS does not start and MSI Afterburner disables the 880M after about 30 sec of gameplay.

Tindreal, cool :)

What version drivers for Nvidia and Intel are you using?

Maybe one of the new drivers isn't working well for Windows 10, causing it to get choppy after?

Many games have a benchmark mode / program along with the app, you can get the FPS from those, or will they fail like FRAPS?

gazzacbr
10-05-2014, 07:30 AM
EDIT: just noticed this is for JM and i have JX... but anyway,
no problems at all here with windows 10, clean install on an empty partition.
only had to load the 344.11 from nvidia and all was working.
but i dont have optimess.
i actually like the combo-start menu and will put links to my most used programs as a quick-start (which will not include any metro ones)

@kaltoreth: love that quote from captain kirk, i do remember that from the movie as a great one-liner :D

hmscott
10-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Nvidia Official - Windows 10 Technical Preview Display Driver Feedback Thread
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/779136/geforce-drivers/windows-10-technical-preview-display-driver-feedback-thread/

"This thread is intended to collect and gather display driver feedback from Windows Insider customers testing Windows 10 Technical Preview on NVIDIA GPUs. Alternatively, we have also have a feedback form available online at:

http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=1d8700ce58c496be0f9e3a6d9648b209

Please include specifications of your computer with your driver feedback and a detailed description of the problem. If the problem you encountered only occurred once, please check if you can reproduce the issue a second time by repeating the same steps you used before. Last but not least, also describe any steps necessary to reproduce your issue so that our software QA team can better duplicate the problem. Thank you. "

"FOUND a possible solution. I have a Dell N5110 i7-2630qm gt525M@825/1650/1000 8GB RAM DDR3 256GB 840PRO.
The way I solved it (note that I have Intel HD3000) was to install latest drivers as usual, and then head to Nvidia Control Panel, select GT525M as the preferred graphics unit. After doing so, I head to Intel Control Panel and surprise: it shows it auto-configured itself as 40Hz. Changing the setting back to 60Hz removed the stutter and allowed the Nvidia chip to take over gaming and HDMI output as usual. All games (DX9-11), as well as Windows itself, work the same way they did in Windows 8.1.
TLDR: Check to see if Intel Graphics Control Panel has your integrated graphics set on 40Hz output and change back to 60Hz. "

hmscott
10-09-2014, 06:28 AM
Windows 10's 'built-in keylogger'? Ha ha, says Microsoft – no, it just monitors your typing
YOU said it was OK when you installed that Technical Preview
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/07/windows_10_data_collection/