PDA

View Full Version : G750 jw screen backlight went out after replacement

Josephcpod
10-03-2014, 11:59 PM
I have a g750 jw and the screen cracked. After the screen was replaced by the same part number by a repair man the screen worked fine for about a minute then the back light went out. Other lcd screens were tried and the lcd works but the back light won't come on. Could it be the a part of the mobo? If so how do I fix it. Or is there a way to just get a new mobo. Everything else works plugged in an external display via hdmi and works fine. Please help!!

hmscott
10-04-2014, 12:08 AM
I have a g750 jw and the screen cracked. After the screen was replaced by the same part number by a repair man the screen worked fine for about a minute then the back light went out. Other lcd screens were tried and the lcd works but the back light won't come on. Could it be the a part of the mobo? If so how do I fix it. Or is there a way to just get a new mobo. Everything else works plugged in an external display via hdmi and works fine. Please help!!

Josephcpod, the JW comes with a 1 or 2 year warranty, and Asus has been known to help people outside the warranty for problems like this. Did you ask Asus yet for a service RMA?

Even though you had other service done, you can still ask Asus - they can only say no - but typically they say yet - and often only charge shipping - but even if they charge parts too - at least it will be fixed :)

You can create a login here, register your JW, and file a Technical Inquiry. Be polite and honest, and you may need to go through a few interactions before you get the RMA set up, but be nice and be persistant and it will likely work out fine.

https://vip.asus.com

Please come back and let us know what Asus says, and how it works out :)

Josephcpod
10-04-2014, 12:19 AM
I purchased it refurbished will that make a difference?

hmscott
10-04-2014, 01:00 AM
I purchased it refurbished will that make a difference?

Josephcpod, when you register the laptop, it should show what the warranty period is for the laptop. Using that serial number will get the info. When you file the Technical Inquiry - make sure the provenance of the laptop, where you got it and when it died is in the description / request for RMA.

Only Asus can say yes or no to the RMA :)

Please come back and let us know what Asus says.

Josephcpod
10-04-2014, 02:07 AM
Could this be the repair mans fault

hmscott
10-04-2014, 02:26 AM
Could this be the repair mans fault

Josephcpod, that is one of the vagaries of laptop repair. It may have happened when he replaced the screen, or it may just be coincidence. It's hard to prove / tell which. At best he might replace the backlight parts for cost of parts - or he might reduce the labor charge. You can't really say it is his fault or responsibility.

You could follow that route, or go to Asus to get it fixed, before another thing breaks :)

That is why it is best to get laptops repaired by the vendor that made it in the first place, they have the best chance of knowing the correct steps or sequence to follow to disassemble and replace parts. It might be that Asus would have replaced the backlight as part of the LCD replacement - it might be like breaking the gasket on an engine service - you always replace the old gasket with a new one even if it wasn't the original problem - as it is easily replaced and has the potential of becoming a problem if not replaced.

Check with Asus. :)

Josephcpod
10-04-2014, 02:32 AM
I will do that come Monday currently he still has the computer at the shoppe keeps saying it has to be part of the board it not sure where to look

hmscott
10-04-2014, 02:44 AM
I will do that come Monday currently he still has the computer at the shoppe keeps saying it has to be part of the board it not sure where to look

Josephcpod, that is why it is good to have the original OEM fix the laptop if possible, as every laptop is different, and the repair person has to figure out what is new / different from the other repairs he has seen. He sounds like a conscientious person if he is still working to fix it for you :)

You might ask him to contact Asus about the repair, they might be able to point out what he is missing, and help him narrow down the problem / fix.