PDA

View Full Version : Screw ASUS RECOVERY WIZARD!

Andili
10-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Hi All,

What the hell is the problem with the ASUS RECOVERY WIZARD?
I switched of my laptop, went to bed got up next day switched on my Laptop G75VW and the boot went straight to the ASUS RECOVERY WIZARD. I tried everything to fix the problem - reboot, secure boot, went to boot up menue, windows repair CD and so on. No it would alsways take me back to the Asus Recovery Wizard. I then decided to go with the first option - repair first partition - which should ONLY repair the windows operating system!

I was shocked when I saw that my C DRIVE went through a factory reset after the Wizard was finished.

I did a backup and restore point but somehow they disappeared as well.

Thank god that once a month I save all my Docs on a external.

That should not have happened due the Wizard option said - only repair first partition...

Andy

Clintlgm
10-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Interesting this if the first time I have heard of Asus recovery wizard I guess it has something to do with F9 recovery. Apparently your boot sector go corrupted or perhaps window boot. I would check your hard drive it could be failing.

Andili
10-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Hi Clintlgm,

I use Acronis Hard drive health monitor, so far never had a single Alert.
I do not have a clue what happened there but my point is that if it says - only repair/recover first partition - thats what it should actually only do.

Now I am trying to recover my lost Data which is more than a nightmare...

Clintlgm
10-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Yea I can Imagine, I keep Drive Images incase of issue like this the versions from Acronis True Home Image later than April 2014 will restore and boot UEFI GPT disk Images ? I mention this as you mention Acronis Hard Drive health Monitor.
Also you might look into Minitool they have a data recovery program it it works as will as there partition Wizard could be helpful.

Andili
10-05-2014, 07:11 PM
I downloaded Mini Tool, thanks for the suggestion.
Do you know your way around Partitions?
After the Forced "Asus Recovery Wizard" recovery I now have 3 Hard Disk Drives showing on "My Computer"

A new Drive with the name "I:Boot".

Clintlgm
10-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Well only the C: drive should have a drive letter, the others should not
First partition should be Recovery partition 300 MB no letter
2nd EFI System partition 100 mb no letter
3rd C: drive letter If there is a 4th partition it would be the recovery partition no letter

here is what mine looks like I Don't have the Asus Recovery partition as I clean installed windows 8.1.1

Well sorry system is not letting me upload the picture

Andili
10-05-2014, 08:18 PM
I was trying to upload images and yes you are right it wont let us upload pics..

Not sure if I would change it due to having so much Bull.....t for the last 2 days.

Clintlgm
10-05-2014, 11:52 PM
I guess you didn't by any chance have made a Asus Backtracker recovery media?, Still you need to get your data back to do that your going to have to use some recovery tool. I really don't have any experience using any of them. I do know that data that hasn't been written over should be recoverable.

Andili
10-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Hi Clintlgm,

Unfortunately the Asus Backtracker is only for Win 8.
I will get the new G750JZ soon but still like to keep my G75 in perfect working condition.

I might give it to a Professional LAptop mechanic to see what the problem is.

Clintlgm
10-07-2014, 11:46 PM
I see you restored using AI recovery, I had the same issue when I use them for some reason they gave drive letters to system partitions that shouldn't have any.
I would recommend just clean installing if your going to stay with 7 ISO are easy to get http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/ you can also us Minitool partition wizard to remove the driver letters from the system partitions and give the letters C: back to C and D back to D