PDA

View Full Version : Drivers, Apps, and How-to's

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Jallopy
02-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Pilgrim: 9.1.7.7 Doesn't turn off touch pad.

BrodyBoy
02-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Pilgrim: 9.1.7.7 Doesn't turn off touch pad.
There have been several owners who found otherwise. Do you have the latest BIOS installed, and did you remove the previous driver before installing it?

If you want to give it another go, I'd suggest you try ths:

(1) make sure the BIOS is updated
(2) uninstall/remove the current touchpad driver & reboot
(3) install the Sentelic 9.1.7.7. driver & reboot
(4) do a repair install of ATK Package 1.0.0014

(As a side note, I've come to believe that this funky touchpad on/off thing is more about the ATK driver than the various touchad drivers themselves. The ATK driver has "hooks" that tie into other drivers...touchpad, WLAN, etc...and when the those associations are messed up, you get things like a touchpad that won't stay turned off. Just my own little theory.... ;))

dstrakele
02-20-2012, 10:17 PM
(As a side note, I've come to believe that this funky touchpad on/off thing is more about the ATK driver than the various touchad drivers themselves. The ATK driver has "hooks" that tie into other drivers...touchpad, WLAN, etc...and when the those associations are messed up, you get things like a touchpad that won't stay turned off. Just my own little theory.... ;))

The Brody ATK/Driver Association Theory.... right on up there with the Brody Stability Principle!

ghostx87
02-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Is anyone having issues with the 9.1.7.7 touchpad drivers? I'm not sure but I believe it’s the touchpad causing these weird issues i.e. opening 100s of tabs in my browser or opening the same application 100s of times :confused:.

TruFloridaGator
02-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Do these all the drivers in the OP work with G73JH?

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Do these all the drivers in the OP work with G73JH?
Probably, but not necessarily. I think they are tilted more toward the G74 and G73SW, but many of those drivers are indeed common to most current PCs: chipset, audio, video, LAN, WLAN, cardreader, touchpad are usually the same (dependent on component manufacturer, in some cases). The one you want to be careful about is the ATK Package, as the latest versions are not necessarily appropriate for all models.

BrodyBoy
02-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Is anyone having issues with the 9.1.7.7 touchpad drivers? I'm not sure but I believe it’s the touchpad causing these weird issues i.e. opening 100s of tabs in my browser or opening the same application 100s of times :confused:.
Yikes....that sounds annoying! I'm sure there isn't a wider issue in the Sentelic driver, as something like that would have gotten some attention around here.

It sounds like a key press or mouse click is getting "stuck" and repeating....a lot. Has it only happened since you installed 9.1.7.7? IF so, I would try completely uninstalling that driver, rebooting, and testing the computer with just the generic Windows driver for a couple days. If the issue still exists, you'll know it's not that specific driver. I realize this doesn't solve the problem yet, but it's important to try and identify the source of the problem.

Boosted_R
02-21-2012, 09:43 PM
i'm running 9.1.7.7 and it works fine, not as good as my 8 year old toshiba laptop but ok...... sounds like hardware issues

Jallopy
02-22-2012, 12:06 AM
OK. BrodyBoy's procedure for installing the Sentellic 9.1.7.7 driver in message #502 worked. Thanks.
On/Off of touchpad now works!

Seems last time I tried Sentellic 9.1.7.7, I was using the previous ATK and didn't repair it.
You're probably right about the ATK hooks.

wargreymon
02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Does anyone have problem with the brightness control? mine only can control during window logon screen.
**I tried reinstall ATK package but only can control after complete uninstalling. After Installed the newer version ATK package the brightness cant control again. =(

BrodyBoy
02-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Does anyone have problem with the brightness control? mine only can control during window logon screen.
**I tried reinstall ATK package but only can control after complete uninstalling. After Installed the newer version ATK package the brightness cant control again. =(
Are you only talking about controlling it with the function keys, or do you mean none of the control methods work?

wargreymon
02-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Yeap, i cant control it using the hotkey on keyboard.

BrodyBoy
02-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Try a repair install of the ATK Package, in Control Panel.

In the meantime, 'til you get that working properly, you can use the Mobility Center for making quick changes. (WIN + x)

wargreymon
02-24-2012, 12:35 AM
Try a repair install of the ATK Package, in Control Panel.

In the meantime, 'til you get that working properly, you can use the Mobility Center for making quick changes. (WIN + x)

hmm. strange i did not saw the brightness control in my mobility center either. was the hotkey connected to that?

BrodyBoy
02-24-2012, 12:53 AM
hmm. strange i did not saw the brightness control in my mobility center either. was the hotkey connected to that?
No...that's a Windows gadget. Is that the only control that's missing? Here's what I see, for comparison:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/MobilityCenter.png

wargreymon
02-26-2012, 01:25 AM
No...that's a Windows gadget. Is that the only control that's missing? Here's what I see, for comparison:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/MobilityCenter.png

Mine the brightness control n presentation setting missin.

aviwil
03-01-2012, 08:14 AM
The Fresco Driver on the start of this thread , Fresco Logic USB 3.0 v3.5.4.0 , contains a patch - AsPatch10430001 .
I have a G73SW-A1 . Can someone please explain what it's for , and if necessary ?
Thanks .

dstrakele
03-02-2012, 06:06 AM
I just installed the new NVIDIA v. 295.73 WHQL driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-295.73-whql-driver.html) on my G74SX-A1.

So far, so good. Not seeing any unusual DPC Latency spikes in DPC Latency Checker. It also resolved the video corruption issue on my external monitor after the display resumed from the configured ( in Power Options) shut off of the display after 10 minutes of inactivity. This issue occurred with the version 290.53 BETA driver.

The release highlights indicate improved performance in a couple of games:

•Game-changing performance boost of up to 45% in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, “the fastest selling title in Steam’s history”
•Up to 2x performance Mass Effect 3 with SLI technology.

TJC99
03-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a g53sx and I think I just screwed myself. The laptop did not come with a recovery disk, and I used the link provided to download a copy of Win7. I am not very technically savvy, but I tried to reinstall Win7. The laptop boots from the disk but doesnt do anything. I tried using a different copy but it keeps asking me to insert a disk to boot from.

*sorry if this was not the appropriate place to post this*

BrodyBoy
03-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a g53sx and I think I just screwed myself. The laptop did not come with a recovery disk, and I used the link provided to download a copy of Win7. I am not very technically savvy, but I tried to reinstall Win7. The laptop boots from the disk but doesnt do anything. I tried using a different copy but it keeps asking me to insert a disk to boot from.

*sorry if this was not the appropriate place to post this*
So where are you at this point.....unable to boot? Stuck trying to install Windows? I'm not clear which part you need help with.

In any event, I do have a suggestion: Assuming you can still restore your computer to its original setup and get it working properly, wait a little bit on this clean install attempt. It'll go a lot smoother if you wait until you're clear on the procedure and have all the software ready to go.

None of the Asus laptops come with a recovery disk, by the way. Instead, they have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive. Hopefully, if you didn't get very far into the Windows installation process, you didn't delete that partition and can still do a factory restore, if you need/want to.

codename47
03-06-2012, 07:58 PM
ATK package 1.0.0015 : http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ATK_package&p=3&os=30

Nerdy3.14159265
03-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm getting the G74SX - AH71 from Amazon and I was wondering if I need both the Atheros and Realtek Lan Drivers or just one of those and which one in particular.

Also I wanted to know if when I do a clean install on it ( after making the recovery disks ), should I or will it completely format the drive so that I can recover the space lost by the recovery partition. Another option I was thinking about was to do the fresh install without overwriting and then later ( after getting everything working well ) use a gparted live disk to delete the recovery partition and move windows to the front of the drive.

BrodyBoy
03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm getting the G74SX - AH71 from Amazon and I was wondering if I need both the Atheros and Realtek Lan Drivers or just one of those and which one in particular.

Also I wanted to know if when I do a clean install on it ( after making the recovery disks ), should I or will it completely format the drive so that I can recover the space lost by the recovery partition. Another option I was thinking about was to do the fresh install without overwriting and then later ( after getting everything working well ) use a gparted live disk to delete the recovery partition and move windows to the front of the drive.
The G74 uses a Realtek LAN chip, so that's the driver you use.

When you do a clean install, Windows Setup gives you the option to choose the partition(s) you want to delete & re-use for the new installation. If you delete the 25Gb recovery partition, it will be used. If you don't delete, it will remain intact and Windows will be installed after it (assuming you're using the same disk as before).

If you make the recovery DVDs, they can always be used to do a factory restore (and restore the recovery partition) if disaster strikes or you want to revert to the OEM installation. So you don't really need to keep the recovery partition for that purpose. But if you do want to leave it for now and remove it later, I would suggest that you image your OS partition, re-format and re-partition the disk, then restore the image to it.

Nerdy3.14159265
03-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the thorough answer. Okay my current plan is this (correct me if you think of a better plan):

Boot up and Make Recovery Disks with Asus AI Backup

Install a Fresh copy of Windows 7 over Recovery Partition

Boot into Safe Mode ( no networking or anything ) and Install all the drivers ( using the drivers in the first post )

Boot into Windows

? Strink Windows partition or create it's partition smaller - Can I overwrite the recovery partition and make it only take like 1/3 of the drive?

Install Ubuntu 11.10 on another partition and set it up

--EDIT--
Also does it matter when I do the BIOS update with Easy Flash? I haven't downloaded the latest BIOS yet and heard that my computer might ship with the latest anyways.

--EDIT 2--
Sorry but also with audio settings will THX still be on there or can/should I just reinstall it from the ASUS page. I believe I found it if it's called Creative THX_MUI driver.

BrodyBoy
03-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the thorough answer. Okay my current plan is this (correct me if you think of a better plan):

Boot up and Make Recovery Disks with Asus AI Backup
Install a Fresh copy of Windows 7 over Recovery Partition
Boot into Safe Mode ( no networking or anything ) and Install all the drivers ( using the drivers in the first post )
Just to be clear, you'll be using more than the recovery partition....in Windows Setup, you will delete the recovery partition and the current OS partition (and any other contiguous partitions you want to include), then install Windows onto the unallocated space created by the deletions. There is no need to install the drivers from Safe Mode. You can simply begin installing them after Windows is installed and opens to the desktop. Reboot after each driver install.

Boot into Windows
? Strink Windows partition or create it's partition smaller - Can I overwrite the recovery partition and make it only take like 1/3 of the drive?
Install Ubuntu 11.10 on another partition and set it up
Not sure what you're talking about here. You indicated that you intended to delete the recovery partition in your earlier steps, so it's gone.....nothing to overwrite anymore. Rather than shrink the partition after the WIndows install, it's better simply create the partition size you want in Windows Setup. Yes, you can make it a third of the drive if you want.

Note: It's not just tidier housekeeping to set the partition size in Setup rather than try to shrink it later. Windows Setup puts some immovable files on your drive, and their placement on a big partition can limit the amount of "shrink" you can get without resorting to more complicated 3rd party partitioning utilities. If you want your Windows partition to be, let's say, 60Gb, then you should create a 60Gb for it during installation.

-
-EDIT--
Also does it matter when I do the BIOS update with Easy Flash? I haven't downloaded the latest BIOS yet and heard that my computer might ship with the latest anyways.
If you aren't having any issues known to be addressed by the BIOS update, there's no pressing need to do it. However, if and when you DO want to update, definitely use the EasyFlash method. It's by far the safest.

--EDIT 2--
Sorry but also with audio settings will THX still be on there or can/should I just reinstall it from the ASUS page. I believe I found it if it's called Creative THX_MUI driver.
You'll have to install it manually, if you want it. The latest version is here (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/Creative/Creative_THX_MUI_Win7_64_Z10301.zip).

Nerdy3.14159265
03-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Again thanks for the very thorough reponses, it's really helping me get down exactly what I'll do.

I'm going to set the size when I do the install. What I was really trying to ask was if I could set the size during the install and overwrite the recovery partition. I'm not very familiar with installing Windows, it's not something I do very often and want to get everything down pat before I even start on my new ASUS.

I've been reading a lot from the Low Audio Fix thread and I've read the pdf tutorial on how to use Easy Flash. I was just trying to figure out how to get the best out of this thing. After hearing about the problem some people have had I want to make sure that I'm going to have everything set up the best possible way.

Thanks again for all the help.

--EDIT--
Is there any particular order that I need to install drivers in or does it not matter.

BrodyBoy
03-08-2012, 01:19 AM
--EDIT--
Is there any particular order that I need to install drivers in or does it not matter.
I recommend installing the Intel chipset driver, RST, MEI, and video driver first, followed by the others in no particular order, and then install the ATK package last.

MatG
03-14-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm having problems with the Z921470 WLAN Atheros driver for my G74SX ?
It will only let me install the Z920458 driver :(

Psionics
03-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Where do I get the Atheros drivers for the G73JW?

Also, instructions for installing/removing drivers?

TheOriginalTO
03-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Wireless Console 3 Latest Version: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Wireless_Console&p=3&os=30

I post this because I feel like my wifi / lag is a lot less spiky using the latest WC3 3.0.27 combined with the 470 drivers. Maybe it's just me, but you should give it a try. Be sure to restart after installing WC3 again in order to get the FN+F2 key to work properly again.

Xerthil
03-23-2012, 04:36 AM
I'm about to do a clean install of Windows to remove some bloatware on my G53SX. I'm curious about the Keyboard Software, should I have both the ATK package and the KB Filter Device? Because all I have is the KB Filter Device and my FN Keys aren't working.

BrodyBoy
03-23-2012, 05:18 AM
I'm about to do a clean install of Windows to remove some bloatware on my G53SX. I'm curious about the Keyboard Software, should I have both the ATK package and the KB Filter Device? Because all I have is the KB Filter Device and my FN Keys aren't working.
Just the ATK Package is enough, since Windows' own generic keyboard filter works fine. But you must have the ATK Package for all the proprietary key functions to work.

Xerthil
03-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Thanks. So that's what was missing, no wonder my FN key doesn't work.

EDIT 1: How do I do the BIOS Flash and when do I do it? Also, is it necessary? How do I check what version my BIOS is currently at? Also, does the ISO for Windows 7 HP here still work? This is my first clean install so I'm pretty cautious. I just want it to go smoothly and flawlessly (I so wish..). Another thing, how much free space do I need? I was thinking of using a Microsoft Software (I forget its name) to make my USB into the Installation Disk.

EDIT 2: Also, is the Windows 7 HP ISO here 64-bit? Is it up to date? Because it seems smaller to some other files I've found on the Notebook Review Forums.

EDIT 3: Last edit, how can I tell which Lan Adapter I am using? It didn't say under Network Adapters when I checked my Device Manager before doing a clean install

BrodyBoy
03-24-2012, 03:24 AM
EDIT 1: How do I do the BIOS Flash and when do I do it? Also, is it necessary? How do I check what version my BIOS is currently at? Also, does the ISO for Windows 7 HP here still work? This is my first clean install so I'm pretty cautious. I just want it to go smoothly and flawlessly (I so wish..). Another thing, how much free space do I need? I was thinking of using a Microsoft Software (I forget its name) to make my USB into the Installation Disk.
Click Windows Start button, type "system" in the search bar, and select System Information from the Start menu pop up list. On the System Information page, look about half way down in the right side and you'll see "BIOS VERSION/DATE." This is your current BIOS.

To update it, use the EasyFlash utility in the BIOS....do not use Asus' WinFlash program.

I believe the ISO posted here is the current one, but I haven't looked at it recently. Windows Setup wants to see about 50Gb, IIRC, but it doesn't use anywhere near that much. You can install from a USB thumbdrive, which you create using the Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool. (http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe)

EDIT 2: Also, is the Windows 7 HP ISO here 64-bit? Is it up to date? Because it seems smaller to some other files I've found on the Notebook Review Forums.
Yes...it's 64-bit. As I said, I think it's the current one, but if you're worried about it, here's the one I use, which is current: Win 7 SP1 64x Home Premium, (http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso)

EDIT 3: Last edit, how can I tell which Lan Adapter I am using? It didn't say under Network Adapters when I checked my Device Manager before doing a clean install
The G53SX uses a Realtek LAN adapter....there's no other option.

Xerthil
03-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks, I just did everything and went through it, wasn't so bad. I was just worried because this is my first Notebook too. Thanks for all the help too Brody, one last question though? What software do you recommend for the PCI Simple Communications Controller? I can't seem to find a driver linked to it on the ASUS page or on here. I'm about to check Chastity's thread if there is any there.

EDIT: Also, what software do you recommend that's on here (http://ph.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G53SX/#download)? The one's under Utilities. I already have the P4G, ATKACPI, Webcam Utility, and lastly the THX_MUI Driver. I'm not sure whether I do need the last 2 though.. I am however curious about the Gaming Mouse Utility because my G53SX came with the ROG Mouse, Steel Series Headset and ROG Bag.

EDIT 2: Also should I have the AI Recovery? I already made my recovery discs using that tool when I first got my notebook last January, but will they work without the tool?

EDIT 3: Last edit, I checked Chastity's thread and didn't see anything regarding the PCI Simple Communications Controller. Also, how do I get my Microsoft Word Starter OEM back? Is it on the Driver and Utilities Disc or is the only way really using the Factory Recovery?

BrodyBoy
03-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks, I just did everything and went through it, wasn't so bad. I was just worried because this is my first Notebook too. Thanks for all the help too Brody, one last question though? What software do you recommend for the PCI Simple Communications Controller?
You need the Intel MEI (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/MEI/IMEI_Intel_Compal_Win7_64_Z7041197.zip) (Management Engine Interface). You can install it manually, or just go to Windows Update....it should be available in the Optional updates section.

EDIT: Also, what software do you recommend that's on here (http://ph.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G53SX/#download)? The one's under Utilities. I already have the P4G, ATKACPI, Webcam Utility, and lastly the THX_MUI Driver. I'm not sure whether I do need the last 2 though.. I am however curious about the Gaming Mouse Utility because my G53SX came with the ROG Mouse, Steel Series Headset and ROG Bag.
The only one of those you need is the ATK Package. Many like to use the THX utility to enhance the weak audio in these laptops, so that's just a matter of personal preference. I don't recommend ANY of the other Asus software.....some owners may disagree, or find some of the utilities handy, but they're all unnecessary/redundant at best, and some are just downright bad software. I avoid them all to help keep my installations clean and trouble-free.

EDIT 2: Also should I have the AI Recovery? I already made my recovery discs using that tool when I first got my notebook last January, but will they work without the tool?
AI Recovery is just the utility for making that set of disks, so if you have already made them, you no longer need the program. If you ever need to do a factory restore, the disks have all the required software already on them....they'll restore the recovery partition to your hard drive, then a factory restore is performed from that partition.

EDIT 3: Last edit, I checked Chastity's thread and didn't see anything regarding the PCI Simple Communications Controller. Also, how do I get my Microsoft Word Starter OEM back? Is it on the Driver and Utilities Disc or is the only way really using the Factory Recovery?
Already addressed the PCI Comm Controller above. I actually don't remember if Word Starter is on the driver disk, so I'm not sure if you can get it back that way. A factory restore would put it back on your computer, but there's no way to "extract" it to then use in a clean install.

Xerthil
03-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Ah! Alright, thanks a bunch Brody! I read on another thread on Notebook Reviews that I need the P4G too at least to run the high performance settings for my GPU and stuff automatically (since I don't really know how to overclock manually: noob to over clocking)

dstrakele
03-26-2012, 02:00 AM
I read on another thread on Notebook Reviews that I need the P4G too at least to run the high performance settings for my GPU and stuff automatically...)

I'd like to see that thread. I consider myself open-minded, and I've yet to see P4G accomplish anything in power management that couldn't be done in Windows Power Options.

Xerthil
03-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Its on here (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/468027-complete-walk-through-doing-clean-windows-7-install.html). Under Driver and Utilities Disc. I might have just misinterpreted it though.

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks, @Xerthil! From what I see, P4G gives you a specific button to press to change Power Plans and makes a screen display when you do so. That's about it... It doesn't offer anything else beyond the Power Options in Windows.

BrodyBoy
03-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks, @Xerthil! From what I see, P4G gives you a specific button to press to change Power Plans and makes a screen display when you do so. That's about it... It doesn't offer anything else beyond the Power Options in Windows.
I think we can now say, conclusively, that you've been converted! (I knew you'd come around....:))

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 07:07 PM
The electro-shock therapy treatments appear to have worked....

Latin_Mist
03-27-2012, 08:16 PM
how can i make my monitors display different items. I just built my PC, have 2 monitors but they are acting like one huge monitor..

BrodyBoy
03-27-2012, 09:25 PM
how can i make my monitors display different items. I just built my PC, have 2 monitors but they are acting like one huge monitor..
Hit the WINDOWS + P buttons, and you should be able to select the layout you want.

Latin_Mist
03-29-2012, 03:06 AM
Hit the WINDOWS + P buttons, and you should be able to select the layout you want. .. it didn't do anything.. kept hitting keys to no avail.. :(

BrodyBoy
03-29-2012, 03:22 AM
.. it didn't do anything.. kept hitting keys to no avail.. :(
Really? Hmm. Try the WINDOWS + X combo, then select "Connect display."

Psionics
03-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Do I just uninstall the network drivers
Delete drivers
Restart
Install new network drivers?

//The above is unrelated to the one below

Intel Chipset INF Update Utility 9.3.0.1019 Do I need this if I have reinstalled Windows?

BrodyBoy
03-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Do I just uninstall the network drivers
Delete drivers
Restart
Install new network drivers?

Intel Chipset INF Update Utility 9.3.0.1019 Do I need this if I have reinstalled Windows?
You do need the chipset driver....in fact, it should be the first driver you install after you install Windows.

As to the first part of your question, I assume you are asking about updating your network adapter driver(s)? You didn't specify which device or which drivers you're talking about, but in general, it's good practice (though not always necessary) to uninstall old drivers before installing newer versions. In the case of Intel WLAN drivers, you should uninstall the old driver first.

Psionics
03-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Oh thanks. Where do I find the Intel chipset drivers? It's not in the first page, right?

BrodyBoy
03-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Oh thanks. Where do I find the Intel chipset drivers? It's not in the first page, right?
Here's the latest version, Intel Chipset 10.3.0.1019. (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20775/eng/infinst_autol.exe)

shocker97
04-01-2012, 02:54 PM
New stuff added. 10/26/2011

Hi i ordered an SSD for my g74sx-nh71 and i want to install win 7 on it. I saw the iso link in the thread and was wondering if and how i could install it from a flash drive Thanks for your help!

Also if there were any other free methods that would be pretty easy, please tell.

BrodyBoy
04-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi i ordered an SSD for my g74sx-nh71 and i want to install win 7 on it. I saw the iso link in the thread and was wondering if and how i could install it from a flash drive Thanks for your help!

Also if there were any other free methods that would be pretty easy, please tell.
Free methods of what?

Yes, it can be done using a USB thumbdrive....it works quite well, in fact.

Boosted_R
04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
heres a tool that does it for you from microsoft, works great...... (File must be iso)

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Aeroman
04-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I just received the Asus G74Sx laptop (fourth one). They have all had issues with the keyboard. This one in particular the space bar and down scroll key (missed key strokes/not registering when pressing on it).

What has been the latest fix for this?

I have ATK Package 1.0.0015 currently installed. I am uncertain which BIOS version I have as it doesn't display this when I turn on the laptop.

I want to try to resolve it on my own before submitting for another replacement. Thanks.

BrodyBoy
04-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I just received the Asus G74Sx laptop (fourth one). They have all had issues with the keyboard. This one in particular the space bar and down scroll key (missed key strokes/not registering when pressing on it).

I have ATK Package 1.0.0015 currently installed. I am uncertain which BIOS version I have as it doesn't display this when I turn on the laptop.

I want to try to resolve it on my own before submitting for another replacement. Thanks.
To check your BIOS version:

START -> type "system" -> select System Information
The BIOS version & date are listed about halfway down on the main page

I would suggest you:

Completely uninstall the existing ATK Package and KB filter
Shut down and update to the latest BIOS, v203 (instructions (http://www.mediafire.com/?d4n9c19yoof0y88))
Restart, and install ATK Package 1.0.0015
Restart

If specific keys continue to exhibit issues, it's probably a hardware issue with those keys.

Aeroman
04-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks. I have Win 7 and I dont see System Information when I input "System" on the "Search programs and files"

Aeroman
04-02-2012, 06:31 PM
ok, this is my current BIOS:

G74Sx.202

I'll attempt the update, thanks

BrodyBoy
04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks. I have Win 7 and I dont see System Information when I input "System" on the "Search programs and files"
Hmm....it's always at the top of the start menu list for me (when I type system). You could always use the Run command and type in "msinfo32," though that's kind of a cumbersome way to do it.

front360
04-02-2012, 08:04 PM
New Realtek Audio Driver version R2.68 released. HERE (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false)

PILGRIM
04-03-2012, 01:42 AM
New Realtek Audio Driver version R2.68 released. HERE (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false)

Thanks for the update info and link.. :)

300mph
04-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Sorry to hear about yet another keyboard problem. Unfortunately the problem you are experiencing is not a bios or driver problem, it is a mechanical keyboard design issue. Do a web search and you will see what I'm talking about. The best you can hope for is to alter your typing style to press harder than you normally do on a good keyboard, and try to hit the keys dead-center and not on the edge.

I have been practicing this on my G74 and am getting better results but not perfect. I still get many missed keystrokes but I will just have to live with it since sending the computer back for repair or exchange would yield nothing as the replacements would have the same keyboards.

Good luck.

Aeroman
04-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear about yet another keyboard problem. Unfortunately the problem you are experiencing is not a bios or driver problem, it is a mechanical keyboard design issue. Do a web search and you will see what I'm talking about. The best you can hope for is to alter your typing style to press harder than you normally do on a good keyboard, and try to hit the keys dead-center and not on the edge.

I have been practicing this on my G74 and am getting better results but not perfect. I still get many missed keystrokes but I will just have to live with it since sending the computer back for repair or exchange would yield nothing as the replacements would have the same keyboards.

Good luck.

Ahhhh...that's what I was afraid of. Attempting to get store credit or refund. Is there a comparable laptop to the G74Sx? Thanks and sorry you are having the same issues. I had thought about getting an external keyboard but why should I have to do that? Why should I have to do updates to BIOS, ATks, etc when the design intent of the keyboard is flawed to begin with? Not cool.

300mph
04-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Ahhhh...that's what I was afraid of. Attempting to get store credit or refund. Is there a comparable laptop to the G74Sx? Thanks and sorry you are having the same issues. I had thought about getting an external keyboard but why should I have to do that? Why should I have to do updates to BIOS, ATks, etc when the design intent of the keyboard is flawed to begin with? Not cool.

Yes, I think there are comparable laptops and you can research them on various websites. It's really a shame about this keyboard, otherwise I like just about everything else about this computer. One of the reasons I bought the G74Sx is the key layout. I put off getting a G73 just so I could have this key layout. I like the way it is spread out without all the keys being jammed up in a tight pattern. I am getting somewhat use to the keyboard and it seems to be getting better the more I use it, but the feel is just about driving me crazy. The keys are wobbly and you have to strike them harder than is usually necessary compared with all other keyboards I've used, even really cheap ones. I just don't like the feel, not smooth and consistent. One thing is for sure I will never buy another computer with a keyboard like this one.

Aeroman
04-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Yes, I think there are comparable laptops and you can research them on various websites. It's really a shame about this keyboard, otherwise I like just about everything else about this computer. One of the reasons I bought the G74Sx is the key layout. I put off getting a G73 just so I could have this key layout. I like the way it is spread out without all the keys being jammed up in a tight pattern. I am getting somewhat use to the keyboard and it seems to be getting better the more I use it, but the feel is just about driving me crazy. The keys are wobbly and you have to strike them harder than is usually necessary compared with all other keyboards I've used, even really cheap ones. I just don't like the feel, not smooth and consistent. One thing is for sure I will never buy another computer with a keyboard like this one.

I am debating about just getting a wireless keyboard since I too like the graphics and speed of this Asus laptop. I am finding that the spacebar, B, Delete, and down cursor keys are randomly missing keystrokes. Yes, I noticed if I hit some of the keys harder, then it works ok. Just not cool!

Psionics
04-06-2012, 09:55 AM
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Which version to dl?

BrodyBoy
04-06-2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Which version to dl?
The 2nd option in the list....."64bits Vista, Windows 7 Driver only (Executable file)"

Psionics
04-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Is the Realtek Lan better or the Atheros Lan drivers?

BrodyBoy
04-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Is the Realtek Lan better or the Atheros Lan drivers?
It's irrelevant. You don't choose between them......you use the driver for the hardware you have. If your computer has a Realtek LAN card, you can/should/must use only the Realtek driver. Likewise, if your computer has an Atheros LAN card, you use an Atheros driver.

cehucehu
04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
need some help here please...
I want to update my bios but after I run the flash utility and insert the usb drive (just as the tutorial says) .. there is no usb drive in the lists to select...just the files on my comp

and yes i did format to fat 32 and extracted the bios file onto it

thx

BrodyBoy
04-17-2012, 07:52 PM
need some help here please...
I want to update my bios but after I run the flash utility and insert the usb drive (just as the tutorial says) .. there is no usb drive in the lists to select...just the files on my comp

and yes i did format to fat 32 and extracted the bios file onto it

thx
Which laptop model, and which tutorial, are you using?

cehucehu
04-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Which laptop model, and which tutorial, are you using?

I have the g53sx (procedure should be the same) and got the appropriate bios file of the asus website.. the tutorial on the first page on how to flash ur bios via usb drive

BrodyBoy
04-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I have the g53sx (procedure should be the same) and got the appropriate bios file of the asus website.. the tutorial on the first page on how to flash ur bios via usb drive

Try using these instructions (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vdg51lpjqcmrjqv), but substituting your model and BIOS version (for the G74 and v203 listed in the document). Be sure that you use a USB2.0 port (not 3.0), and that you put only the extracted BIOS file on the thumbdrive.

If your thumbdrive is still unrecognized by Easy Flash, start over with a difefrent thumbrdrive.

cehucehu
04-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Try using these instructions (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vdg51lpjqcmrjqv), but substituting your model and BIOS version (for the G74 and v203 listed in the document). Be sure that you use a USB2.0 port (not 3.0), and that you put only the extracted BIOS file on the thumbdrive.

If your thumbdrive is still unrecognized by Easy Flash, start over with a difefrent thumbrdrive.

not sure what u mean by "substituting your model and BIOS version (for the G74 and v203 listed in the document)"

and how do I know wich ones are 2.0 usb

also trying to update from v205 to 209

cehucehu
04-18-2012, 04:53 AM
ok as soon as I tried another USB port..I was able to see it

went very fast and easy update...was almost on my knees not to **** up my bios and brick it

I have the v209 now !!

ty so much for the help brody and the guy who started putting this thread together

90% of the drivers and stuff fits the g53sx model

BrodyBoy
04-18-2012, 05:16 AM
ok as soon as I tried another USB port..I was able to see it

went very fast and easy update...was almost on my knees not to **** up my bios and brick it

I have the v209 now !!

ty so much for the help brody and the guy who started putting this thread together

90% of the drivers and stuff fits the g53sx model
Great! Glad it all worked out. :)

cehucehu
04-18-2012, 05:19 AM
one more question

what exactly do I need to instal to make that overclock button to work ? the rog one too

the only button that works is the once for the lights..that's it

BrodyBoy
04-18-2012, 06:13 AM
one more question

what exactly do I need to instal to make that overclock button to work ? the rog one too

the only button that works is the once for the lights..that's it
Try a repair installation of the ATK Package, in Control Panel.

AdelaisAer
04-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Hi. Was just wondering if the drivers on the list are still updated regularly.

BrodyBoy
04-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi. Was just wondering if the drivers on the list are still updated regularly.
No....JR still pops in once in a great while, but it takes a lot of time & attention to keep a thread like this fully updated. When in doubt about the latest drivers for a specific model, it's probably best to ask other users here.

AdelaisAer
04-18-2012, 07:43 PM
No....JR still pops in once in a great while, but it takes a lot of time & attention to keep a thread like this fully updated. When in doubt about the latest drivers for a specific model, it's probably best to ask other users here.

Oh. :S In that case, might you know where I can get the latest drivers? Maybe someone else made a thread, or maybe there is an easier way to find Atheros drivers and whatnot...or anything else like that...

cehucehu
04-18-2012, 10:00 PM
hey Brody

I tried repairing the ATk package, no chance those buttons still don't work

it is the newest version of the atk package..I don't think I got the wrong one cuz it is pretty obvious what was needed to be downloaded

BrodyBoy
04-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Oh. :S In that case, might you know where I can get the latest drivers? Maybe someone else made a thread, or maybe there is an easier way to find Atheros drivers and whatnot...or anything else like that...
No, there isn't another thread....just the official Asus model support sites. (As I mentioned earlier, it takes a lot of time and effort for a user to voluntarily maintain a complete driver reference for even one model, let alone for the several G-series models commonly owned by this forum's members.)

Most of the drivers can be sourced directly from their manufacturer's websites....Intel, Realtek, and nVidia provide almost all the drivers for the G74. The only ones you must get from Asus are Sentelic TP drivers, Fresco USB drivers, Atheros NIC drivers, and the ATK Package. For everything else, you can easily get the latest version from the manufacturers.

The current Atheros driver posted on the G74 support page is v9.2.0.458. But some others commonly used are v9.2.1.470 and v9.2.0.469.

Which are you using now?

BrodyBoy
04-19-2012, 12:55 AM
hey Brody

I tried repairing the ATk package, no chance those buttons still don't work

it is the newest version of the atk package..I don't think I got the wrong one cuz it is pretty obvious what was needed to be downloaded
The ATK Packages are a little tricky....besides the ones they actually post on the model support pages, Asus doesn't otherwise specifiy which packages are for which models. So you have to do a little detective work and try to find ones that seem to be in the same "installer series" as the official release(s) for your model.

It looks to me like the G53 uses the same ATK package as the G74 (though again, I emphasize that it's hard to be 100% sure.) Though there is a more recent one (v.1.0.0016), I would suggest you try v1.0.0015 (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100015.zip). Completely uninstall the existing ATK Package, reboot, and then install the newer one.

Report back on how that goes....

Ludious
04-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a G73JH
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. G73Jh.213, 1/27/2011
ATI Drivers 8.951.0.0
vbios 012.020.000.032

So.

Tribes: Ascend

Any idea why it's running like crap from a butt? 30fps on Very High/High and 40fps on medium. I know she's not exactly a new girl anymore but that seems kinda low...

Am I just delusional? If I am that's totally OK. But Skyrim runs better than that...

BrodyBoy
04-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Hi Ludious....

I can't help you myself, since I haven't used anything with an ATI adapter in years. Don't know their drivers, don't know what you should be expecting from that machine.

But I would suggest you start a new thread on the main forum.....specify your model in the title....and I think you're more apt to find other G73JH owners to compare notes with. (This drivers thread is a little less-traveled and out-of-the-way.)

cehucehu
04-19-2012, 05:37 AM
The ATK Packages are a little tricky....besides the ones they actually post on the model support pages, Asus doesn't otherwise specifiy which packages are for which models. So you have to do a little detective work and try to find ones that seem to be in the same "installer series" as the official release(s) for your model.

It looks to me like the G53 uses the same ATK package as the G74 (though again, I emphasize that it's hard to be 100% sure.) Though there is a more recent one (v.1.0.0016), I would suggest you try v1.0.0015 (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100015.zip). Completely uninstall the existing ATK Package, reboot, and then install the newer one.

Report back on how that goes....

no luck...but the atk package has nothing to do with that turbo button...a user manual says the Power4Gear uses those
imma try instaling it now

cehucehu
04-19-2012, 05:50 AM
no luck...but the atk package has nothing to do with that turbo button...a user manual says the Power4Gear uses those
imma try instaling it now

ok I got it to work

you need both things installed

but it doesn't anything special...just a more fancy way of changing power plans

thx for everything

BrodyBoy
04-19-2012, 05:51 AM
The ATK Package and P4G are both required for that button (the ROG button) to function as a power profile toggle. It has no other function, otherwise.

I just read back through your posts....could specify exactly what keys aren't working, or what function you're trying to restore?

EDIT: Just saw you last post. Looks like you're good to go.

AdelaisAer
04-20-2012, 07:36 PM
No, there isn't another thread....just the official Asus model support sites. (As I mentioned earlier, it takes a lot of time and effort for a user to voluntarily maintain a complete driver reference for even one model, let alone for the several G-series models commonly owned by this forum's members.)

Most of the drivers can be sourced directly from their manufacturer's websites....Intel, Realtek, and nVidia provide almost all the drivers for the G74. The only ones you must get from Asus are Sentelic TP drivers, Fresco USB drivers, Atheros NIC drivers, and the ATK Package. For everything else, you can easily get the latest version from the manufacturers.

The current Atheros driver posted on the G74 support page is v9.2.0.458. But some others commonly used are v9.2.1.470 and v9.2.0.469.

Which are you using now?

I am using the versions posted in this thread. :S

kimiraikkonen
04-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Add to this Nividia 285.62 WHQL

I know it's an old release which is my current, i had MPEG2 / DVD black screen problem after installing 285.62. As 296.10 is out, anyone to confirm whether it's been fixed just by updating GPU drivers?

Austin
04-25-2012, 08:18 PM
how can i check what i need updated?

fuzon1337
04-25-2012, 08:38 PM
A easy check list:

Intel Chipset (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect) (run "check you system..." checks for latest chipset update for you)
nVidia driver
Atheros Wifi card (you can find the driver in this thread)
touchpad driver, if you feel the cursor is buggy (go do device manager, and find out if you got Synaptics or Syntelic driver)

EDIT: You can perhaps update more drivers... but this is the main ones :)

If you want to clean the register on your notebook, download CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) run register check. (also if you choose to install this, uncheck google toolbar)

Austin
04-25-2012, 08:41 PM
i did the intell nvidia is done Atheros idk what that is and windows says my touch pad is up to date
also i know my bios is out of date

fuzon1337
04-25-2012, 08:59 PM
The Atheros is often the stock Wifi hardware you got in your notebook. So if you need to find out if you got that, check device manager - click on network. Then you will see if you have atheros or not :)

EDIT:
If you want to perform a BIOS update... **Only update BIOS if something is not working as it should and can get fixed by flashing the BIOS**

Use this GUIDE (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vdg51lpjqcmrjqv) made by @BrodyBoy about how to flash your BIOS.

If you don't have any issues then you should just let it be.

Austin
04-25-2012, 09:19 PM
define not working as it should or can u give me an example

fuzon1337
04-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Okey, if you choose (but then you should know that there is a risk of bricking it and then you'll have to send it in to a repair center) to do a BIOS update this is what you will get fixed with BIOS 203

BIOS 203
1.Fix the bug that 2D/3D switch function should be implemented on power on button (M key) instead of hotkey Fn + C
2.Optimize Aflash2 tool

If you don't have issues with any of this then there is no point of flashing your BIOS :)

Which version do you have now? BIOS 202?

Austin
04-25-2012, 09:47 PM
im prritty sure its 201

fuzon1337
04-25-2012, 10:07 PM
You're pretty sure? I would say you don't know.

Download HWINFO 64 from this thread then you should be able to find out which BIOS version you have :)

BrodyBoy
04-25-2012, 11:07 PM
You can also just type "system" in the search bar and open System Information. About halfway down its opening page, which summarizes your system's information, is the version and date of the current BIOS image.

front360
04-26-2012, 02:45 AM
If you want the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology Monitor version 2.5(actually 2.5.3.0), then it's available for Intel® Core™ i5 & i7 Processors here (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19105&lang=eng&wapkw=(turbo+boost+monitor)). Only for Windows 7 x32 & x64.

*Version 2.5, like v2.0 runs as a program and not like v1.0 which runs as a gadget.

Austin
04-28-2012, 02:01 AM
its 201 and i was recomended by another member to sue the program driver genius for updates

imelqui
05-02-2012, 12:32 PM
is it neccessary to use USB or you can just locate the BIOS update in any Drive where you place it?

BrodyBoy
05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
is it neccessary to use USB or you can just locate the BIOS update in any Drive where you place it?
Use a FAT32-formatted USB thumbdrive. Using any kind of NTFS-formatted drive greatly increases the chance of flashing failure (and bricking the BIOS).

BrodyBoy
05-02-2012, 11:35 PM
its 201 and i was recomended by another member to sue the program driver genius for updates
You really don't need to use 3rd-party utilities to find or install updates. In fact, you're apt to have a more stable system if you (1) minimize the number of extraneous programs and utilities, and (2) choose drivers deliberately and install them manually.

Psionics
05-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Does anyone have a link for the Intel MEI drivers ( for the G73JW ) not sure which to choose on their website.

BrodyBoy
05-03-2012, 02:32 AM
Does anyone have a link for the Intel MEI drivers ( for the G73JW ) not sure which to choose on their website.
The easiest way is to go to Windows Update, where it should be listed in the "Optional" section. If not, here's a direct download (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/MEI/IMEI_Intel_Compal_Win7_64_Z7041197.zip).

Boosted_R
05-11-2012, 05:01 AM
Update for intel 6230 wireless driver 15.1.1
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21244&ProdId=3315&lang=eng

PILGRIM
05-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Update for intel 6230 wireless driver 15.1.1
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21244&ProdId=3315&lang=eng

:)Thanks for the info and link.

firmware
05-11-2012, 07:39 PM
What stable version is everyone running for the atheros wifi driver?

firmware
05-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Are you sure .470 is the best atheros driver?

BrodyBoy
05-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Are you sure .470 is the best atheros driver?
I think it can depend on your model and configuration. There's no one best Atheros driver for everybody.

firmware
05-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Then what is the most stable?

BrodyBoy
05-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Then what is the most stable?
I think you missed my point (or perhaps I didn't make it well....that certainly happens a lot! ;)). The version that is stable in one Asus model that's also running WC3 may not be the version that's stable in another model running a clean install, for example. The version appropriate for the same Atheros card in an N-series probably isn't optimal for a G74....and that in turn may be different for a G73. There's no universal "best" or "most stable" driver, as there are a number of variables in any given setup.

Are you having problems with your wireless card, connection, or driver? If so, what model laptop do you have, what driver are you currently using, and what's the specific problem? (If you're aren't having any issues, your existing driver is working fine and there's no need to change it.)

firmware
05-19-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm asking because i am experiencing problems with the wlan , when im gaming i would have mini disconnections for about 2 secs and i have been searching for the right driver so it doesnt happen to me and the most stable one i have been using is version 8.0.0.259.

I am about to go find some custom drivers if it keeps happening.

BrodyBoy
05-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm asking because i am experiencing problems with the wlan , when im gaming i would have mini disconnections for about 2 secs and i have been searching for the right driver so it doesnt happen to me and the most stable one i have been using is version 8.0.0.259.

I am about to go find some custom drivers if it keeps happening.
Is this a G74? That driver version doesn't sound familiar.....

dstrakele
05-19-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm asking because i am experiencing problems with the wlan , when im gaming i would have mini disconnections for about 2 secs...

Are you sure it's a WLAN issue? Short freezes every few seconds in games have been linked to a firmware issue in Seagate Momentus XT HDD's.

That said, high DPC Latency in some early version Atheros drivers has been responsible for a plethora of issues on ASUS laptops. Have you run DPC Latency Checker?

firmware
05-19-2012, 11:51 PM
It is the g73sw yeah it is one of the older versions that i found online through HERE (http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/14833-latest-atheros-wlan-drivers-for-windows-7-and-vista-x86-x64/page__st__300), it could be the issue with the Seagate , im not sure still investigating. Also, when i change the driver i either experience worse mini disconnections or longer ones.

Edit :

Here is what i get when i run the DPC latency checker

Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams. To isolate the misbehaving driver use Device Manager and disable/re-enable various devices, one at a time. Try network and W-LAN adapters, modems, internal sound devices, USB host controllers, etc.

Xerthil
06-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Mind if I join in? I honestly am not sure what's going on with my notebook. I'm getting network issues too. It doesn't look to be my ISP, I have been monitoring my internet ever since it was "Fixed" and all seems well, but I can't be too sure.

My problem is, every now and then I can't surf the web. I get the.. "this webpage is not available" kind of thing. This only occurs with wlan. However, once I switch to an ethernet cable, I have no problems at all. Now my issue is, when I can't surf the the web, any website I had open at the time (e.g speedtest.net, youtube, etc.) I can still run them without a hitch, same with online games I can play with no disconnections at all, yet when I refresh or log off the game and try to start it back up during those moments, I lose all connection. This started occurring after several things, I fear it may be a virus, but I haven't hit anything with avg.

1st I had to turn off my firewall (with the anti-virus still running of course) to be able to download and patch the GW2 Beta Client for the recent Beta Weekend.

After all was done, I had to continue to run the game with the Firewall off for it to connect, honestly I don't know why I had to do that. It was even on their forum's troubleshoot to do it. After the installation/download finished and when the BWE finished, I did complete scans and no viruses or anything.

2nd We were having some internet issues (Modem constantly dropping its connection, etc.), which were resolved, by our ISP by changing some faulty cables that connect to the box that connects the phone cables from the post into our home.

3rd My Router actually died on me once, I dunno what the heck happened to it. It suddenly just died one night and after I disconnected it that night, I reconnected it the day after and it started running again.

So I suspect its either a virus, my router being faulty, my wireless adapter being faulty, or my ISP and the DNS they connect to being the problem. The current driver I use is the Atheros that's on this thread and my notebook model is the G53SX.

*EDIT*

I completely forgot to include, whenever these "moments" happen, I can't connect to my router at all. This shouldn't be the case unless either my wireless adapter is faulty or my router is faulty. However, I seem to only be the one experiencing this problem. Though, everyone else who does connect to our router, does feel a kind of slowness to the connection (e.g when loading a webpage).

Another thing which I forgot to include, I had to configure this notebook's network settings on the IPv4 because we had our router and modem configured due to what I stated on "2nd". Basically, our ISP's technician "routed" our modem and configured our router to be "static". They had reset the modem's configurations ever since the faulty cables were changed by new ones. I restored my router to its factory default settings and undid all the network configurations on all the other computers, including my notebook. This is actually when all of these connection problems started and when I started to notice it.

The things I haven't done is do a 2nd clean install of my notebook and done a re-install of my Wireless Adapter's Driver. I don't believe I need to do a clean install because these weren't happening until a few weeks ago. The last clean install I had was around March, I think. I had no problems at all after that except for this.

PILGRIM
06-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Xerthil, try to do a Windows System Restore if you haven't done it yet.

Boosted_R
06-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Not sure if it been posted already:

Intel chipset Version: 9.2.0.1030 April 4th 2012

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3321&DwnldID=20018&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Laptop+Chipsets&ProductProduct=Mobile+Intel%C2%AE+6+Series+Chipset&DownloadType=Utilities%2c+Tools+and+Examples&lang=eng

Tested it and no problems

pnyknights
06-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Hey guys just trying to figure out my last set of drivers here.

I'm pretty sure the keyboard and ATK are the correct ones from ASUS support website however the rest I'm not to sure off. The current WLAN driver seem to be the same number as the azureware driver? I think I read that the wifi and b/t drivers should be together or something unless it's intel card? If not then this should be the correct one right? And maybe I'm just blind but I can't seem to find the webcam driver? I see the utility for it (which states "") but I can't seem to see the actuall driver for it.

WLAN/WiFi
yes? - Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application v9.2.0.458 2,04 (MBytes) 2012.02.21
no? - Azurewave NB037 Wireless Lan Driver and Application v9.0.0.222 127,61 (MBytes) 2011.03.16

B/T
Atheros BlueTooth driver v7.4.0.98 175,19 (MBytes) 2011.11.24

Keyboard/ATK
ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities v1.0.0015 8,66 (MBytes) 2012.03.02
KB Filter Driver v1.0.0.3 171,26 (KBytes) 2010.12.20

Webcam
Driver - ???
Utility - ASUS Virtual Camera Utility (The Camera driver must be installed.) v1.0.25 1,99 (MBytes)2012.03.02

These are what are currently on the system:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9876/wirelessdriver.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/wirelessdriver.jpg/)
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9997/bluetoothdriver.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/bluetoothdriver.jpg/)
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3500/keyboarddriver.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233/keyboarddriver.jpg/)
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/542/webcamdriver.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/webcamdriver.jpg/)

pnyknights
07-02-2012, 04:47 PM

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3321&DwnldID=20018&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Laptop+Chipsets&ProductProduct=Mobile+Intel%C2%AE+6+Series+Chipset&DownloadType=Utilities%2c+Tools+and+Examples&lang=eng

Is this for the g74sx?
I know I have my usb2.0 working since that's where I'm installing all my other drivers from. However when I went to do my usb 3.0 (Fresco v3.5.30) I keep getting the error "Fresco Logic USB3 Host Controller is not found"

SerosRDPS
07-02-2012, 09:53 PM
*deleted* I put this on the wrong thread on accident.

SerosRDPS
07-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I just wanted to say thank you for the extremely well put together post. I've been scowering the internet for the correct way to put a SSD on my G57VW-BBK5.

First I was just going to image the recovery partition that comes with the computer, but when I saw how large it was I suspected shaninigins. I was right, it contained tons of bloat-ware. Looks like the link you gave me for win7 iso will work with the code under my computer to install the nice fresh windows 7 without any of the bloat. So now I can just put the ssd on my desktop, make a hidden/active partition with the ISO image on it, then install windows uber quick from the ssd once I put it in the laptop.

Then you give me all the links to the drivers that will be missing so I can just add a little folder on the hidden partition.

My mind is not as well organized as yours so I can't make the most coherent posts, but the gist is:

Thank you for all the great resources in one nicely laid out post. I will share this with my buddies.

SerosRDPS
07-02-2012, 11:36 PM
I just wanted to say thank you for the extremely well put together post. I've been scowering the internet for the correct way to put a SSD on my G57VW-BBK5.

First I was just going to image the recovery partition that comes with the computer, but when I saw how large it was I suspected shaninigins. I was right, it contained tons of bloat-ware. Looks like the link you gave me for win7 iso will work with the code under my computer to install the nice fresh windows 7 without any of the bloat. So now I can just put the ssd on my desktop, make a hidden/active partition with the ISO image on it, then install windows uber quick from the ssd once I put it in the laptop.

Then you give me all the links to the drivers that will be missing so I can just add a little folder on the hidden partition.

My mind is not as well organized as yours so I can't make the most coherent posts, but the gist is:

Thank you for all the great resources in one nicely laid out post. I will share this with my buddies.

Haha I'm in the wrong forum. Great post in this forum though. Hopefully they post something like this for the G75VW

scorpionking
07-08-2012, 04:45 PM
A huge thanks go out to JRd1st for starting this thread and to everyone that has had input with suggestions. I recieved my G74 Friday when I got home from work. I re-installed Windows 7 at work yesterday(don't judge me lol), then spent about an hour once I got off installing drivers, and I must say that so far I love this rig. Tonight I will check my bios and try to figure out if it's worth trying to do the bios update. In closing I just want to say thank you all, this would have been like Mission Impossible without this thread.hahahaha..

Boosted_R
07-25-2012, 05:36 AM
Any new touch pad driver for "Sentelic" currently on 9.1.7.7 ?

380mcn
07-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Is there any kind of updates to this thread?
JRD1ST are you alive? We miss your compilation of updated drivers!

rmcsc
09-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Why does the Sentellic trackpad driver not want to install under Windows 8 (build 8400)? It says I have the wrong driver for the trackpad. How come, if I'm using the same one I had for Windows 7?

I'll update later today if I find a solution.

Edit, two days later:

Still haven't found anything. No way to install it. The only thing I found? Actually uninstalling the trackpad driver. Ah, yes, don't ask me how I did it. I am now trackpad-less. I might have to end up reverting to Windows 7 now.

AdelaisAer
09-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Any possible new updates to the Atheros wireless driver? :S

rmcsc
09-21-2012, 05:36 PM
The trackpad mysteriously started working again the moment I was about to reboot to reinstall Windows 7. Went and did the install either way.

TeckTime
10-14-2012, 12:53 PM

I second that!

wjhalverson
10-21-2012, 04:45 PM
I did the BIOS upgrade ... but now I'm thinking that killed my Bluethooth ... the radio is turned on, per the ASUS shiny thingies, but the Bleuthooth adapter is not connected. When I click on the icon it starts searching for bluetooth devices - and never finishes. If I right click on properties, and select bluetooth, the same thing happens .... it is searching for something it cannot find.

BlueBulb
11-29-2012, 08:03 PM
did u use Intel Chipset INF Update Utility 9.3.0.1019 (core drivers) previously?
stated on the first post? my usb 2.0 port is giving me issue with the USB Hubs.

should I be using Intel Chipset INF Update Utility 9.3.0.1019 (core drivers) or 9.2.0.1030 ?

there's even a newer one

Version:9.3.0.1026
Date:11/06/2012

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20775&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=

Mopard
12-04-2012, 06:35 PM
A huge thanks go out to JRd1st for starting this thread and to everyone that has had input with suggestions. I recieved my G74 Friday when I got home from work. I re-installed Windows 7 at work yesterday(don't judge me lol), then spent about an hour once I got off installing drivers, and I must say that so far I love this rig. Tonight I will check my bios and try to figure out if it's worth trying to do the bios update. In closing I just want to say thank you all, this would have been like Mission Impossible without this thread.hahahaha..

I second that!

I'll third that plus one more. Would sure be nice to have updates to this. I've only owned this $2000 laptop for a year+ and seems it is forgotten?

Mopard
12-06-2012, 05:52 AM

kimiraikkonen
12-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Is "Atheros AR9002WB-1NG WiFi v9.2.1.470" compatible with Atheros AR9285 in my G53JW?

Do you have any connectivity inconsistency or performance drop after installing that version?

DDustin
04-18-2013, 10:43 PM
My touch pad goes through fits of not working, also my cursor randomly clicks spots making typing impossible(did twice typing this sentence)(not sure if that's related).

How do I figure out which driver to use and how do I download it? When I click on it its just a huge list of files and folders.

Also my Blu-ray burner doesn't work. It doesn't play blurays or DVDs. Every program I use to open it crashes right away. Is there a driver to fix this?

kc2002acr
05-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Asus Apps to Keep

intentionally left blank

So, I take it I should go ahead and remove this bloatware? I never have, just pretty much disabled most, but I am wondering if this ASUS Quickstart is messing up my computer during boot? Here is a list of ASUS apps installed:

Asus_G73_Screensaver
ASUS Live Update
ASUS AI Recovery
ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology
Fast Boot
ASUS LifeFrame3
Wireless Console 3
ControlDeck
ASUS SmartLogon
WinFlash
ASUS Power4Gear Hybrid
ATK Package
ASUS Virtual Camera
ASUS FancyStart

Would this be just using the Control Panel/Windows Uninstall/Change tool? Anything I need to know about removing these products? All of them have the original computer date for install except the ASUS SmartLogon, which was installed on 2/20/2013 and I do not recall authorizing it, which makes me believe the ASUS Live Update did it on it's own, which I thought was disabled/turned off.

Dick Head
07-09-2013, 03:05 PM
One of the best posts ever on the ROG forums. The Intel command line switch information is priceless. I've manually been updating each device and it takes a half hour to do it that way. Now I just throw in the -overall switch and it's done. I verified that this works perfectly by checking the Intel device drivers afterward and all was well.

THANKS!

fakunchas
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Asus Apps to Keep

intentionally left blank

So, I take it I should go ahead and remove this bloatware? I never have, just pretty much disabled most, but I am wondering if this ASUS Quickstart is messing up my computer during boot? Here is a list of ASUS apps installed:

Asus_G73_Screensaver
ASUS Live Update
ASUS AI Recovery
ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology
Fast Boot
ASUS LifeFrame3
Wireless Console 3
ControlDeck
ASUS SmartLogon
WinFlash
ASUS Power4Gear Hybrid
ATK Package
ASUS Virtual Camera
ASUS FancyStart

Would this be just using the Control Panel/Windows Uninstall/Change tool? Anything I need to know about removing these products? All of them have the original computer date for install except the ASUS SmartLogon, which was installed on 2/20/2013 and I do not recall authorizing it, which makes me believe the ASUS Live Update did it on it's own, which I thought was disabled/turned off.

I have my computer updated with all drivers, easily.
FORGET ALL THE ASUS CRAPWARE. MAKE A CLEAN INSTALL, [windows ultimate if you are considering using more than 16gb]
Audio - realtek website
LAN - same thing @ realtek ethernet 8168
GPU - nvidia website
WIFI / BT - atheros.cz (yes, it looks like it's a spyware site but it's not lololol)
Chipset (intel chipset driver - for some reason the latest version does not install on my machine but the other previous version installs perfectly)
USB 3 - you can use the driver from the asus site
Card Reader - same thing
Touchpad - if you have the synaptics version (and not the sentellic one) you're good to go and install from their website)

INSTALL ASUS ATK PACKAGE AND WIRELESS CONSOLE after all these drivers.
It's the only 2 asus software you will ever need.. the rest is CRAP, mark my words! i had a sluggish machine when i first started it when i bought.. i got fed up of crashes in the first hour i decided to put my hands and format everything.

Next week i will create a thread with the driver location 'in memory' of jrd1st lol

kb0sdq
07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Would be nice if someone could supply the original setup disks for the G73JH ASUS wants $50 for it.
In case anyone wanted to return their G73 back to the way it came new.
Happy ROG_n

Doug

pedrotpcg@gmail.com
09-11-2013, 10:01 PM
HI i bought an asus desktop and it didnt come with the System CD i need to reinstal a fresh copy on my windows 7 Home premium 64 bit With the Asus OEM so my cd key that is on my case can work!!!

mimile
10-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Good drivers, Thanks

Ami
04-16-2015, 09:49 AM
An alternative to the traditional ATK package is the Gamespirit drivers. I got so sick of trying to get the creative gear to work that I just installed this.

I lost my keyboard shortcuts, if that happens to you, do not uninstall the Gamespirit drivers, just reinstall the original (Asus website) ATK package, you will retain functionality (Including SRS wow etc) and get the shortcut keys back.

It is not in English, I suggest Google Translate. Works fine for me, the instructions are fairly simple. http://www.chw.net/foro/guias/914411-guia-realtek-hd-2-67-mod-win7-x64-gamespirit-update-13-01-2012-a.html

Yes, this is my first post, no I don't have anything to do with Gamespirit. I just refurbed this laptop, purchased it second hand.

danielangelov
05-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Hey everyone. BIG QUESTION HERE! As you have probably noticed, ATI has stopped the support for 5870 mobility. So ... is there a compatible driver from different GPU that still gets updates? THANK YOU!

danielangelov
05-11-2015, 03:24 PM
I installed 15.04 and there are no problems so far ... Catalyst also says that the driver's version is 15.4. Hope this helps...

danielangelov
08-08-2015, 06:13 AM
My G73jh freezes again on Windows 10 (on Win7 I got the fixes needed). I uninstalled and stopped Creative drivers from installing, have throttlestop set, but the issue is still present. If someone shares a fix it will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Verycoldsoup
08-13-2015, 01:50 AM
My G73jh freezes again on Windows 10 (on Win7 I got the fixes needed). I uninstalled and stopped Creative drivers from installing, have throttlestop set, but the issue is still present. If someone shares a fix it will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

I'm also having the same problem with Windows 10. My laptop was running so smooth before I upgraded.

The Cool Dude
08-13-2015, 08:55 PM
Hi there.

I have Windows 10 Home installed on my G73JH-A1 and so far no crashes or freezing. See my post here for what I did and how I handled drivers....

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?73916-G73JH-A1-WIndows-10-Clean-install-A-Media-driver-your-computer-needs-is-missing

A Guy
04-17-2016, 05:59 PM
I have seen posts about a BIOS rev 204. But none of the links for it came from official ROG and I am hesitant to try a rogue source. A friend did dl one of them and did a file compare and large swaths of the file were changed over 203 (I had expected only a small change because the only thing I know is in there is the enable of the encryption module on the CPU). Is anyone here running 204 happily? Can you reference a _safe_ link from whence it came?

Both URLs under chipset are broken. Intel moved things.

Here is a place you might find one of the Intel things
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/1145/Intel-Chipset-Software-Installation-Utility

edit: I spoke to support. There is no 204 and probably never was. I asked if they might release the source code to the community (Abit used to do that sort of thing and I got an LBA version of an old BIOS one time) but I have heard nothing further on the topic from them. I am not holding my breath.

Tekaru
01-29-2017, 12:03 AM
Hi guys,

Any chance to get the list updated?

Especially this one: Intel Rapid Storage Technology 10.8.0.1003 - Release Notes
I tried to find it on Intel's website, but I am not sure, which one should I choose: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel+Rapid+Storage+Technology

Are the drivers correct?

Chipset drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

Graphic drivers: GeForce Experience: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

I am installing Windows 10

Laptop: G74SX-XT1

MacLeod
04-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Here are the latest versions I have found of XTU and Throttlestop.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download...-throttlestop/

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...ity-Intel-XTU-

MacLeod
04-25-2017, 04:52 PM
New Driver released today!

GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER

Version: 381.89 WHQL
Release Date: 2017.4.25

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 381.89

The following sections list the important changes and the most common issues resolved
in this version. This list is only a subset of the total number of changes made in this
driver version. The NVIDIA bug number is provided for reference.

 [Sniper Elite 3]: The game crashes. [1880113]
 [Notebook][eDP panel]: Blue-screen (code 3B) occurs followe by the Recovery screen
during software unbundling process. [1900432]
 [GeForce GTX 1060]: Blue-screen crash occurs pointing to driver (Nvlddmkm.sys)
after the system reboots from sleep mode. [1814559]
 GPU idling voltage has increased. [1904229]

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/117914/en-us