PDA

View Full Version : Asus rog750jm overheating problem

Manoz17
10-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Hi guys! 3 weeks ago i bought a new asus rog 750jm, sadly things hasn't been going so well. The first 2 weeks i struggled with a bsod"driver power state failure" which i solved by using an old nvidia driver, but now my computer has been overheating alot and by that i mean max temperature at 95degrees and 85 average. the only thing i've been playing is world of warcraft, mainly raiding with my 10man guild with nothing but msi afterburner skype and teamspeak in the background. i am not an expert but i my i opinion 85 degrees is alot considering the coolersystem i have. What do you guys think?:)

Christophe771
10-06-2014, 04:22 PM
goodness, 85 is a lot.
my laptop gets warm because heat doesn't flow to the table. heat from the harddisk, thats all. i hope you still have warranty. it is really best to send your laptop for a check up.

do you notice fans blowing air out from the back ? Are you sure your laptop is brand new and not refurbished ? please send it to an Asus service centre as soon as u can. lower the game with configs as much as u can or dont play for awhile. you dont want to hurt your beloved laptop for good. i dont understand your bsod.
did you reformat the laptop ? dont laptops come with 8.1 installed.

i hope it isn't virus too.

hmscott
10-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Hi guys! 3 weeks ago i bought a new asus rog 750jm, sadly things hasn't been going so well. The first 2 weeks i struggled with a bsod"driver power state failure" which i solved by using an old nvidia driver, but now my computer has been overheating alot and by that i mean max temperature at 95degrees and 85 average. the only thing i've been playing is world of warcraft, mainly raiding with my 10man guild with nothing but msi afterburner skype and teamspeak in the background. i am not an expert but i my i opinion 85 degrees is alot considering the coolersystem i have. What do you guys think?:)

Manoz17, the new G750 series JM/JS/JZ run about 10c hotter under load than the JW/JX/JH did, due to the added heat generated from the enabled Intel iGPU section of the CPU die - all video goes through that section whether you render on the Nvidia GPU or the Intel GPU.

Your CPU temps are typical, maybe a bit on the upper side of mid range. There are some that get higher, and thermal throttle, and those are the ones to RMA to Asus, or return to the seller if you are still in the return period.

You can use hwinfo64 running in the background while you game, benchmark, stress test, and it will capture and record a thermal throttling event. If you don't get one, your laptop is ok :)

hwinfo64 Download - I use the 64 bit beta version
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

When hwinfo64 starts up, you check the Sensors Only box to get the extensive temperature readings pane.

Then find the lines with Thermal Throttling, and look for a reading change over time.

There are things you can do to keep the CPU temps down.

Set your Power Plan to Balanced from High Performance - In Advanced settings - Set Balanced Plan CPU min/max to 0%/100%, that will allow the CPU to cool down between load spikes - it won't keep the temps down for sustained 100% load, but it will keep the temps down for normal use.

The High Performance power plan sets the CPU min/max to 100%/100%, which never slows down the CPU and doesn't give it a chance to cool down between usage loads. It only makes a difference for benchmarks and long running jobs - otherwise it just generates a lot of unnecessary heat by keeping the CPU clocked at full speed all the time.

You can use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU - to reduce the multipliers for Core 3 and 4 from 32x to 30x, and for long running jobs like rendering, that can decrease max temps by enough to stop thermal throttling - especially a problem on the JM/JS. You can also safely increase the multiplier for Core 1 to 36x and the CPU cache to 36x for best single threaded performance - as soon as the other cores get work Core 1 drops it's speed - so you don't get a heat bump from a high Multiplier.

Intel XTU - v5.1.0.23 is current version
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=xtu

You can also apply a negative voltage offset to the CPU, something between -20mV and -125mV to reduce temperatures as well. Adjust both the CPU and Cache to the same value. Make sure you are applying Negative values, and not Positive values :)

You will want to start around -50mV, and go down from there till you get a BSOD under load - then back off -10mV or so to be stable.

Once you find the value that is stable for your CPU, after a few months of running, you can try to reduce again.

My JH was stable at -20mV initially, but since Nov 13, I have been able to reduce it to -50mV. My JW was stable at -125mV and my JX at -70mV. Every CPU is different in it's ability to undervolt. The lower you can go the cooler the CPU will run.

If worst comes to worst, you can also disable Turbo mode on the CPU by setting the Max CPU setting in your power plans to 99%, then the speed won't go higher than the base speed of the CPU, for the i7-4700 that is 2.4ghz. That will reduce temps a lot :)

Let us know how you progress, and if you run into any problems :)

Darnassus
10-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Scott is that strictly for the second generation of the 750's?

Between Maximum or Balanced (I also watch in Resource Monitor that my CPU does indeed get throttled from 3.27 down to around 0.77-1.00) Because when I change the power setting, my temps still remain consistent, no matter what I'm doing. Even in idle, they remain the same temp between Maximum and Balanced.

Using a JX

hmscott
10-09-2014, 12:41 AM
Scott is that strictly for the second generation of the 750's?

Between Maximum or Balanced (I also watch in Resource Monitor that my CPU does indeed get throttled from 3.27 down to around 0.77-1.00) Because when I change the power setting, my temps still remain consistent, no matter what I'm doing. Even in idle, they remain the same temp between Maximum and Balanced.
Using a JX

Darnassus, if you run a power plan with 100%/100% CPU min/max, it stays the same speed all the time, and the average temperature goes up. If you run it 100% CPU utilization, it won't matter if you run 0%/100% Balanced because it never idles enough to drop the clock speed.

If you have P4G installed it will often take over with one of it's own Power Plans, making your changes to it's plans also can get changed back.

Do a 15 minute idle run at High Performance 100%/100%, and a 15 minute idle run at Balanced - watch the speed through task manager or other to verify the cpu clock speed drops. Please post the hwinfo sensors only run, reset for each run, so we can see the temps.

This has been working with Windows for a long long time :)

Darnassus
10-09-2014, 12:52 AM
Hmm, well I now have a balanced powerplan, I'll see how it works out.

P.S. I did a fresh install of 8.1, never installed anything related to ASUS website. ;d

It's kind of hard to test the temps since I did my repaste.. it's so good now, my CPU fan doesn't even run during idle since it sits below 40*C. ';x

hmscott
10-09-2014, 12:56 AM
Hmm, well I now have a balanced powerplan, I'll see how it works out.

P.S. I did a fresh install of 8.1, never installed anything related to ASUS website. ;d

It's kind of hard to test the temps since I did my repaste.. it's so good now, my CPU fan doesn't even run during idle since it sits below 40*C. ';x

Nice :)

It's possible your cooling is now good enough to dissipate the heat of both power plans to the same average temp...looking forward to the hwinfo64 sensors only results from the idle runs :)

Darnassus
10-09-2014, 03:58 AM
wew ;D