PDA

View Full Version : G750JZ T4044H vs. T4096H

Shurigan
10-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a G750JZ and these 2 models can be found almost at the same price on the web. The only significant difference I can notice is the i7 4710 of the 4096 model against the i7 4700 of the other one. Is it really just that?

For the same price, which one should I buy in your opinion? And why?

Thanks. ;)

https://www.asusworld.it/model.asp?p=2335428

https://www.asusworld.it/model.asp?p=2319835

(sorry for the italian website, I hope it is enough clear anyway)

GottiBoi55
10-06-2014, 01:24 AM
Hi Shurigan, and welcome to the Asus ROG forum.
The only thing I can see, one has a little faster CPU.
You Should go with the faster CPU, that would be my choice.
But if you really want more bang for your buck investment, I would go with any of the models with dual mSATA mSSD in RAID 0.
(If they are within your budget)
Take a look at these models >>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001315&IsNodeId=1&Description=Asus%20G750JZ&bop=And&CompareItemList=%2D1%7C34%2D231%2D633%5E34%2D231%2 D633%2D28%23%2C34%2D231%2D644%5E34%2D231%2D644%2D1 9%23&percm=34%2D231%2D633%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B34% 2D231%2D644%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24

hmscott
10-06-2014, 02:35 AM
Shurigan, I concur with GottiBoi55's recommendation, if you are going for the top performance choice, with an 880m, you need the RAID0 to round out the performance.

Asus made the JZ top spec model more expensive than the previous generation JH, but RAID0 is worth it.

BTW, it is an M.2 NGFF format SATA interface, not mSATA.

Shurigan
10-06-2014, 05:19 AM
Thanks to both of you. :D

Actually I initially started looking at "lower level" laptops and then decided to move to the rog series because those two models can be found at a really good price on italian online shops, compared to other notebooks with inferior specification.

Probably they are already more than what I need, since I won't have time to enjoy their gaming performance so often.

Anyway I think I'll add an SSD on my own. It's not a RAID 0 solution, but it's something.

Last question. Is it possible that another difference between those 2 models is the screen? The 4096 is reported as "non glare", while that's not the case for t4044h.

hmscott
10-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Thanks to both of you. :D

Actually I initially started looking at "lower level" laptops and then decided to move to the rog series because those two models can be found at a really good price on italian online shops, compared to other notebooks with inferior specification.

Probably they are already more than what I need, since I won't have time to enjoy their gaming performance so often.

Anyway I think I'll add an SSD on my own. It's not a RAID 0 solution, but it's something.

Last question. Is it possible that another difference between those 2 models is the screen? The 4096 is reported as "non glare", while that's not the case for t4044h.

Shurigan, I understand, it isn't easy to stop going up just one more step in spec when ordering a laptop :)

In that case, you might consider a JM or JS? The JZ 880m really is an exceptional GPU, and if you don't game much a JM 860m or JS 870m are going to be much less expensive and also lighter and thinner. The JZ is a heavy beast.

All G750's except for the rare G750JX 3D model have non-glare or matte display's. And, none of the models call out which of the two possible makes of LCD panels such that you would pay more or less depending on which it is.

The i7-4700HQ CPU's are older spec, and the i7-4710HQ are newer spec. My 4700HQ can have it's multipliers unlocked with a program from Intel called Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU - to allow turbo speed up to 3.6ghz, but I haven't had a 4710HQ to look at to see if that is possible with it. So I can't say which CPU is better.

It looks like the higher priced model has the same stuff otherwise, except it has the older CPU.

It makes no sense that the older spec model is listed for more money, but it is possible the seller got a better price on the newer shipment and can offer it for less.

Take the newer cheaper model with all the same parts and a better CPU :)

Shurigan
10-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Shurigan, I understand, it isn't easy to stop going up just one more step in spec when ordering a laptop :)

In that case, you might consider a JM or JS? The JZ 880m really is an exceptional GPU, and if you don't game much a JM 860m or JS 870m are going to be much less expensive and also lighter and thinner. The JZ is a heavy beast.

All G750's except for the rare G750JX 3D model have non-glare or matte display's. And, none of the models call out which of the two possible makes of LCD panels such that you would pay more or less depending on which it is.

The i7-4700HQ CPU's are older spec, and the i7-4710HQ are newer spec. My 4700HQ can have it's multipliers unlocked with a program from Intel called Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU - to allow turbo speed up to 3.6ghz, but I haven't had a 4710HQ to look at to see if that is possible with it. So I can't say which CPU is better.

It looks like the higher priced model has the same stuff otherwise, except it has the older CPU.

It makes no sense that the older spec model is listed for more money, but it is possible the seller got a better price on the newer shipment and can offer it for less.

Take the newer cheaper model with all the same parts and a better CPU :)The strange thing is that JM and JS series are really difficult to find here and if you find them they have prices even higher than those of JZ series in other shops!
The links that I put in my first post do not reflect the price that I would pay, which is much lower.

Thank you for the explanation however, I think I'll go for the T4096H then.

Shurigan
10-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Also, weight and size are not an issue for me. I have another laptop for work, this would be a sort of desktop replacement and actually I also prefer a powerful laptop like that not to be too thin. You know, heat. :D

hmscott
10-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Also, weight and size are not an issue for me. I have another laptop for work, this would be a sort of desktop replacement and actually I also prefer a powerful laptop like that not to be too thin. You know, heat. :D

Shurigan, I feel the same way :)

The JZ runs cooler than the JM/JS, same as the JH runs cooler than the JW/JX - but any of them - if running correctly - run cool enough.

Please come back and let us know how the T4096H works out :)

GottiBoi55
10-07-2014, 04:10 AM
Shurigan, I concur with GottiBoi55's recommendation, if you are going for the top performance choice, with an 880m, you need the RAID0 to round out the performance.

Asus made the JZ top spec model more expensive than the previous generation JH, but RAID0 is worth it.

BTW, it is an M.2 NGFF format SATA interface, not mSATA.

Thanks for the SATA interface clarification.

JerJer123
10-07-2014, 04:35 AM
My advice is to wait. Rumor is, ASUS is about to release some new G series with the new 970M/980M cards.

Shurigan
10-07-2014, 09:06 AM
My advice is to wait. Rumor is, ASUS is about to release some new G series with the new 970M/980M cards.

Thank you for the information.
Anyway, how much would that cost? The model that I have shown here can be bought for 1400€, while for the 980M model I can find only uk prices around 1650£ (2100€). That's definitely a price that I am not going to pay. :D
Probably when they will be out, the JZ's price will decrease a bit, but I can't wait months for that.

Am I wrong about dates and prices, perhaps?

Shurigan
10-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Sorry guys, do you know where I can find a "complete guide" on how to add the SSD and install W8 on it?

I read about Asus Backtracker, but it should also be possible just using the license key, right?

Regarding the SSD, has it to be a 2.5'' SATA 3 drive?

hmscott
10-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Sorry guys, do you know where I can find a "complete guide" on how to add the SSD and install W8 on it?
I read about Asus Backtracker, but it should also be possible just using the license key, right?
Regarding the SSD, has it to be a 2.5'' SATA 3 drive?

Shurigan, there is no advantage to doing a Microsoft Media install over keeping the Asus build. Performance is the same, cloning / Asus Backtracker restores are quicker, Asus blames the OS if you switch to one other than shipped, and people are complaining about USB 3.0 being slow on the Microsoft Media builds for JM/JS/JZ.

If you want to give it a try, be sure and create the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB recovery flash drive before blowing away your only copy of the recovery partition.

Really, please don't shoot yourself in the foot - Ouch! I have been through this conversation with so many people that get impatient, ignore the plea to save their recovery OS, and come back later looking for some way to recover. It's sad, but there is nothing we can do. You have to send your laptop back to Asus to get the OS reloaded... really.

If you are in a hurry, use Macrium Reflect Free to clone from the HDD all partitions to the SSD - you can resize the C/D destination partitions to fit, but don't miss any of the other partitions. I would then recommend saving the HDD on the shelf for Asus service calls - disks like that can be had for $50 - get another one for storage :)

Macrium Reflect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Shurigan
10-08-2014, 07:18 AM
I can see that this topic really touches you. :D

I'm not in a hurry anyway, I just thought that reinstalling w8 would have been easier and quicker, but clearly I was wrong and keeping the Asus build has some advantages. So, I'll look for a topic which explains how to use Backtracker.

Regarding the SSD, a simple 2.5'' SATA 3 drive should be fine, right? :D

hmscott
10-08-2014, 07:57 PM
I can see that this topic really touches you. :D

I'm not in a hurry anyway, I just thought that reinstalling w8 would have been easier and quicker, but clearly I was wrong and keeping the Asus build has some advantages. So, I'll look for a topic which explains how to use Backtracker.

Regarding the SSD, a simple 2.5'' SATA 3 drive should be fine, right? :D

Shurigan, it's touched a lot of people :(

The SSD can be pretty much anything that will fit. There are some 2GB HDD's that won't fit, otherwise any 2.5" SSD should fit. I would recommend getting at least 512GB or larger to make the cloning easier/worthwhile.

Backtracker is simple. Unplug any other USB devices (they might get clobbered), Run the Asus Backtracker app, plug in a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive, backup the recovery drive by following the simple directions in the app.

From G750 power up, repeatedly press the ESC key, until you get the boot menu, select to boot on the Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB drive, restore to your new SSD drive. Make sure to remove any other drives from the 2nd bay or connected via USB - they might get clobbered.

You also want to make sure all this works before blowing away the original HDD recovery partition. Occasionally someone will use an incompatible USB 2.0/3.0 device that will appear to have been created ok, but ends up failing during the restore - disaster if you already blew away the HDD recovery partition/boot and you can't redo the Asus Backtracter create on a new USB 3.0 16GB flash drive.

Do a test restore from the Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive after creating it to make sure it is working if you aren't planning on using it right away. :)

Shurigan
10-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Shurigan, it's touched a lot of people :(

The SSD can be pretty much anything that will fit. There are some 2GB HDD's that won't fit, otherwise any 2.5" SSD should fit. I would recommend getting at least 512GB or larger to make the cloning easier/worthwhile.

Backtracker is simple. Unplug any other USB devices (they might get clobbered), Run the Asus Backtracker app, plug in a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive, backup the recovery drive by following the simple directions in the app.

From G750 power up, repeatedly press the ESC key, until you get the boot menu, select to boot on the Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB drive, restore to your new SSD drive. Make sure to remove any other drives from the 2nd bay or connected via USB - they might get clobbered.

You also want to make sure all this works before blowing away the original HDD recovery partition. Occsionally someone will use an incompatible USB 2.0/3.0 device that will appear to have been created ok, but ends up failing during the restore - disaster if you already blew away the HDD recovery partition/boot and you can redo the Asus Backtracter create on a new USB 3.0 16GB flash drive.

Do a test restore from the Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive after creating it to make sure it is working if you aren't planning on using it right away. :)thank you very much for the explanation, it'll be useful. :D

For the ssd I chose a 265 gb Crucial M550. I know that 512 gb would have been better, but they are quite expensive and looking at the amount of data on my current laptop I don't think I'll need them, considering that I'll use the ssd only for OS and softwares' installation.

In the meanwhile, the g750 is on his way and should arrive here today. :D
I'll keep it as clean as possible while waiting for the ssd.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted. :D

hmscott
10-09-2014, 09:24 AM
thank you very much for the explanation, it'll be useful. :D
For the ssd I chose a 265 gb Crucial M550. I know that 512 gb would have been better, but they are quite expensive and looking at the amount of data on my current laptop I don't think I'll need them, considering that I'll use the ssd only for OS and softwares' installation.
In the meanwhile, the g750 is on his way and should arrive here today. :D
I'll keep it as clean as possible while waiting for the ssd.
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted. :D

Shurigan, the key to surviving with the 256GB SSD for a boot drive on a G750 is to only copy over the boot/support/C drive, and absorb all the remaining free space into the C drive. Then disable Paging and Hibernation to recovery 2x RAM size in wasted space on the C drive. With an SSD boot drive you won't miss Windows fastboot as it is disabled without Hibernation :)

Keep the original HDD boot drive untouched - at least keep the Windows install, partitioning, recovery partition, and then use the remaining free space for backup / storage. If you can get a 7200rpm drive as a replacement, then you can put the original HDD on the shelf to put in for service calls with Asus.

Usually the SSD arrives the day before the laptop, so you can stare at it in anticipation ;)

Shurigan
10-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Shurigan, the key to surviving with the 256GB SSD for a boot drive on a G750 is to only copy over the boot/support/C drive, and absorb all the remaining free space into the C drive. Then disable Paging and Hibernation to recovery 2x RAM size in wasted space on the C drive. With an SSD boot drive you won't miss Windows fastboot as it is disabled without Hibernation :)

Keep the original HDD boot drive untouched - at least keep the Windows install, partitioning, recovery partition, and then use the remaining free space for backup / storage. If you can get a 7200rpm drive as a replacement, then you can put the original HDD on the shelf to put in for service calls with Asus.

Usually the SSD arrives the day before the laptop, so you can stare at it in anticipation ;)Sorry, I have to admit that I'm not following your line of reasoning completely. :D

What do you mean by " to only copy over the boot/support/C drive, and absorb all the remaining free space into the C drive"? To have just a big partition with the OS and everything else (other softweres etc etc) in the SSD? Keeping the HDD's OS partition instead is something that you would suggest in any case or is it related to the 256GB ssd?

Anyway, the G750 is in my office right now and I have to wait till tonight to open it. That's evil. :D
The ssd will arrive at the beginning of next week, I believe.

hmscott
10-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Sorry, I have to admit that I'm not following your line of reasoning completely. :D

What do you mean by " to only copy over the boot/support/C drive, and absorb all the remaining free space into the C drive"? To have just a big partition with the OS and everything else (other softweres etc etc) in the SSD? Keeping the HDD's OS partition instead is something that you would suggest in any case or is it related to the 256GB ssd?

Anyway, the G750 is in my office right now and I have to wait till tonight to open it. That's evil. :D
The ssd will arrive at the beginning of next week, I believe.

Shurigan, yes, and you will see what I mean when you look at the split partitions and how small they are when you restore to the 256GB. Asus splits the disk into C/D drive and has another 26GB of recovery/support partitions. It makes for a tiny C drive.

Saving the original HDD is most important in this situation as now you only have the recovery flash drive as backup for the OS. The 1TB 5400rpm drive isn't optimal anyway, but it's most redeeming factor is you can put it back in the G750 and boot on it to make another recovery flash drive, or leave it in the system to return to Asus for an RMA service call - without leaving your SSD and personal data on it in the G750 for service.

It's there already, what are you doing at home? There is *before* work time too! ;)

Have fun!

Shurigan
10-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Shurigan, yes, and you will see what I mean when you look at the split partitions and how small they are when you restore to the 256GB. Asus splits the disk into C/D drive and has another 26GB of recovery/support partitions. It makes for a tiny C drive.

Saving the original HDD is most important in this situation as now you only have the recovery flash drive as backup for the OS. The 1TB 5400rpm drive isn't optimal anyway, but it's most redeeming factor is you can put it back in the G750 and boot on it to make another recovery flash drive, or leave it in the system to return to Asus for an RMA service call - without leaving your SSD and personal data on it in the G750 for service.

It's there already, what are you doing at home? There is *before* work time too! ;)

Have fun!I see your point.
Probably I'll keep the OS on the HDD, but I'll still use it for storage. I'd not like to leave 750GB (it's a 750GB 7200rpm) on a shelf. :D

Anyway, the crucial point is that I'm writing this post directly from my new G750. :cool:
Too bad I have to wait for the SSD!

Areseru
10-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Ciao Shurigan, ho avuto il tuo stesso dubbio... T4044H o T4096H?
Io personalmente ho scelto il T4096H, lo schermo è "non-glare" (anche se non del tutto, sappilo, un 80% buono però).
Gioco al massimo, programmo al massimo, ho tenuto l'HDD per ora (passerò all'SSD il prima possibile) e comunque i tempi di avviamento sono nella norma (è un 7200rpm dopotutto :D ).
C'è anche il Leap in bundle!! Ti consiglio il 4096, poi fai tu ;)

EDIT: ho visto che l'hai già preso, quale versione hai scelto alla fine? :)

Shurigan
10-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Ciao Shurigan, ho avuto il tuo stesso dubbio... T4044H o T4096H?
Io personalmente ho scelto il T4096H, lo schermo è "non-glare" (anche se non del tutto, sappilo, un 80% buono però).
Gioco al massimo, programmo al massimo, ho tenuto l'HDD per ora (passerò all'SSD il prima possibile) e comunque i tempi di avviamento sono nella norma (è un 7200rpm dopotutto :D ).
C'è anche il Leap in bundle!! Ti consiglio il 4096, poi fai tu ;)

EDIT: ho visto che l'hai già preso, quale versione hai scelto alla fine? :)(Sorry to the rest of you, I promise this won't become ROG's Little Italy, just one patriotic post) ;)

Uelà, buonasera. :eek:

Alla fine ho preso anche io il 4096, ci ho giusto messo le mani sopra da qualche ora. Quando ho tirato fuori il Leap dalla scatola nemmeno sapevo cosa fosse, ho dovuto cercarlo. Meglio di niente, comunque. :D

Per ora buone sensazioni, però ci sto andando piano appunto perchè mi arriverà l'SSD a giorni e a questo punto preferisco aspettare di aver clonato il SO prima di mettermi a modificare qua e là e istallare roba. Ho infatti la sensazione che un po' da smanettare con le impostazioni ci sia, fra ventole, GPU integrata da disabilitare ecc. ecc. Tu da questo punto di vista che esperienza hai avuto?

Probabilmente l'unica cosa che al momento non mi soddisfa del tutto è il trackpad. Ne ho provati di migliori e talvolta se non uso la punta del dito, ma il polpastrello, non recepisce perfettamente il segnale.

Comunque non starei qui a parlare italiano, non deve essere piacevole per chi non ci capisce nulla. :D
Magari possiamo sentirci in PM, che qualcuno con la stessa macchina con cui scambiare esperienze fa sempre comodo!

Areseru
10-10-2014, 02:11 PM
(Sorry to the rest of you, I promise this won't become ROG's Little Italy, just one patriotic post) ;)

Uelà, buonasera. :eek:

Alla fine ho preso anche io il 4096, ci ho giusto messo le mani sopra da qualche ora. Quando ho tirato fuori il Leap dalla scatola nemmeno sapevo cosa fosse, ho dovuto cercarlo. Meglio di niente, comunque. :D

Per ora buone sensazioni, però ci sto andando piano appunto perchè mi arriverà l'SSD a giorni e a questo punto preferisco aspettare di aver clonato il SO prima di mettermi a modificare qua e là e istallare roba. Ho infatti la sensazione che un po' da smanettare con le impostazioni ci sia, fra ventole, GPU integrata da disabilitare ecc. ecc. Tu da questo punto di vista che esperienza hai avuto?

Probabilmente l'unica cosa che al momento non mi soddisfa del tutto è il trackpad. Ne ho provati di migliori e talvolta se non uso la punta del dito, ma il polpastrello, non recepisce perfettamente il segnale.

Comunque non starei qui a parlare italiano, non deve essere piacevole per chi non ci capisce nulla. :D
Magari possiamo sentirci in PM, che qualcuno con la stessa macchina con cui scambiare esperienze fa sempre comodo!

Ok switcho in modalità anglofona ;)

Well I bought this little beast mainly for programming/developing purpose, so I was really worried about the screen quality, due to all the stuff I've heard of it... But, I admit I didn't expect a so-wonderfull and high quality screen that later I would have found on the laptop (but I suppose it's not the Chi Mei everyone complains about).
The keyboard is really good, so the trackpad (for me). I program intensely on it and it's never frustrating (as opposed to my previous laptop), mainly because this 17" screen is pretty much perfect for what I need.
I've ran few games on it, and all of them gave me 60fps totally maxed out (except for Watch Dogs but never mind, I don't care ;) ).
Currently I'm stuck with the 750GB HDD, but its overall performances are pretty good (for being an HDD).
Oh yes, the Wireless card is awesome, I currently download at 7MB/s from my university and have a 10ms ping medium.
Best 1400€ spent in my life! :D

hmscott
10-10-2014, 02:34 PM
...Well I bought this little beast mainly for programming/developing purpose, so I was really worried about the screen quality, due to all the stuff I've heard of it... But, I admit I didn't expect a so-wonderfull and high quality screen that later I would have found on the laptop (but I suppose it's not the Chi Mei everyone complains about)...

Areseru, I have had the Chi Mei screen, the key is to run it at 85hz +, I ran mine at 100hz - 2 models, the G750JW and G750JX, and use ICC profiles to calibrate the color. The screen looks great.

Personal Color Profile for the Chi Mei 173HGE
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36153-Personal-Color-Profile-for-the-Chi-Mei-173HGE&p=401664&viewfull=1#post401664

Now I have the AUO, run it at 70hz, and use ICC profile to balance the color, and the screen looks great.

ICC for AUO219D
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51699-ICC-for-AUO219D&p=438057&viewfull=1#post438057

You can find out what screen you have by using a hardware inventory tool like hwinfo64, and look in the monitor section, like this:

hwinfo64 download, I use the 64 bit beta
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Most of the screen complaints come from people that have screen driver components out of spec, some are close to spec and have faint lines, some have way out of spec / broken components that give an image like this:

Asus ROG G750JZ screen problem With Pictures Included
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52268-Asus-ROG-G750JZ-screen-problem-With-Pictures-Included&p=441334&viewfull=1#post441334

Asus will fix those problems if you RMA your G750.

For most of us the screens are beautiful, and I am happy to hear you go one of those :)

Areseru, almost forgot, be sure and uninstall Asus Splendid before trying to adjust / calibrate the color - in fact, just remove it immediately to stop the assault on your eyes.

There are good ICC profiles in the Splendid package, but the adjustments for change are garish and best removed asap otherwise you might get used to them, and not be able to enjoy an ICC profile adjusted balanced color profile.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

Shurigan
10-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Ok switcho in modalità anglofona ;)

Well I bought this little beast mainly for programming/developing purpose, so I was really worried about the screen quality, due to all the stuff I've heard of it... But, I admit I didn't expect a so-wonderfull and high quality screen that later I would have found on the laptop (but I suppose it's not the Chi Mei everyone complains about).
The keyboard is really good, so the trackpad (for me). I program intensely on it and it's never frustrating (as opposed to my previous laptop), mainly because this 17" screen is pretty much perfect for what I need.
I've ran few games on it, and all of them gave me 60fps totally maxed out (except for Watch Dogs but never mind, I don't care ;) ).
Currently I'm stuck with the 750GB HDD, but its overall performances are pretty good (for being an HDD).
Oh yes, the Wireless card is awesome, I currently download at 7MB/s from my university and have a 10ms ping medium.
Best 1400€ spent in my life! :DI totally agree with you on the screen. Maybe my eyes are not so well trained to recognize defects, but I’m absolutely satisfied with it. Good brightness and colors. The viewing angles are not great, not being an IPS, but that’s not an important factor for me. It would be interesting to know which screen we have; someone knows where I can see that?
The first thing that I thought, however, has been that 1920x1080 resolution has to be very annoying on 15.6’’ screens.

I just hope to change my mind on the trackpad.

Regarding configurations instead, do you have something to suggest? Anyone here should feel free to answer to this question, actually. :D

Shurigan
10-11-2014, 11:42 AM

Hwinfo recognizes only 2GB of RAM on my GPU, is that normal? I think it doesn't even exist a 880m with 2GB of RAM...

The screen is the AUO, anyway.

hmscott
10-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Hwinfo recognizes only 2GB of RAM on my GPU, is that normal? I think it doesn't even exist a 880m with 2GB of RAM...
The screen is the AUO, anyway.

Shurigan, your version of hwinfo is a bit older than mine, and there is likely an eve newer version available - you can check update in hwinfo, or go back to the site to download the BETA version - small print under the regular version download icons - and try the newest version to see if it see's your full VRAM size.

hwinfo does see my 780m with 4GB VRAM.

Shurigan
10-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Shurigan, your version of AUO is a bit older than mine, and there is likely an eve newer version available - you can check update in hwinfo, or go back to the site to download the BETA version - small print under the regular version download icons - and try the newest version to see if it see's your full VRAM size.

hwinfo does see my 780m with 4GB VRAM.

41994I tried it but it shows the same value.

However, on GPU Tweak everything seems to be ok.

Regarding the trackpad... I updated the drivers and now it works better, but there is still a really small area (something like a little vertical segment) just above the left button where it often does not get the input. Just to be clear, it doesn't impact the normale usage of the device, in normal condition you could also not notice it. But, knowing where it is, is simple to verify it's presence.

GottiBoi55
10-12-2014, 12:50 AM
HWiNFO64 will only recognizes 2GB of RAM when "Optimus" is enabled (it's a bug my guess), it's reading the VRAM for the intel onboard graphics.
But once you run any program that use your nvidia card it will read the proper 4GB of VRAM.
Test it for youself, and you will see it change.

hmscott
10-12-2014, 12:59 AM
HWiNFO64 will only recognizes 2GB of RAM when "Optimus" is enabled (it's a bug my guess), it's reading the VRAM for the intel onboard graphics.
But once you run any program that use your nvidia card it will read the proper 4GB of VRAM.
Test it for youself, and you will see it change.

GottiBoi55, maybe I will have to get one of those Optimi enabled G750's to use, just so I can go on an easter egg hunt and find all the muddled things due to Optimus :)

Thanks again.

hmscott
10-12-2014, 01:06 AM
I tried it but it shows the same value.

However, on GPU Tweak everything seems to be ok.
Regarding the trackpad... I updated the drivers and now it works better, but there is still a really small area (something like a little vertical segment) just above the left button where it often does not get the input. Just to be clear, it doesn't impact the normale usage of the device, in normal condition you could also not notice it. But, knowing where it is, is simple to verify it's presence.

Shurigan, see GottiBoi55's reply, it is another Optimism ;)

The trackpad strokes / Gestures can be controlled with Asus Smart Gesture - your laptop should come with it installed - it is the little trackpad object in the taskbar system area - you may need to trigger the popup menu to see it - that is why I set Always show the icons in the config.

Some people prefer to use a mouse, and disable the trackpad in the BIOS - you can also set Asus Smart Gesture to disable the trackpad when the mouse is connected.

Apparently when the trackpad is enabled it interferes with the keyboard performance and the keyboard starts dropping letters at high rates of input.

I use an external wireless keyboard when mobile, the Logitech K400r, and wired keyboards when I am at home at the desk. So I rarely use the built in keyboard/trackpad.

After many years of replacing built-in keyboards, keycaps, and liquid spills, I decided to fore-go the builtin keyboard/trackpad - even on Macbooks - and that gets my eyes far enough away from the screen that it also reduces eye strain.

Have fun :)

GottiBoi55
10-12-2014, 01:30 AM
GottiBoi55, maybe I will have to get one of those Optimi enabled G750's to use, just so I can go on an easter egg hunt and find all the muddled things due to Optimus :)

Thanks again.

Here's what GPU-Z looks like when Opitmus is enabled on my JZ

I have no idea why it's showing clock readings, but you can clearly see no "Temp reading", or any other readings

hmscott
10-12-2014, 01:42 AM
Here's what GPU-Z looks like when Opitmus is enabled on my JZ[
I have no idea why it's showing clock readings, but you can clearly see no "Temp reading", or any other readings[/COLOR]

GottiBoi55, although Optimus is supposed to be automatic, there seem to be many exceptions, some apps, some games, some utilities that touch the hardware for data.

It looks like there is an Optimus API that could be used, but if the app wasn't built with the API library it is hit or miss as to whether the app will see one GPU or the other, or nothing, or a combination of both.

https://developer.nvidia.com/optimus

It seems to me that a multi-gpu solution, on the order of battery / ac + custom setting should be implemented by Microsoft in Windows - I wonder if there are API's in development for this situation, to replace Optimus vendor solution, and generalize it for all GPU's.

If Optimus was just smart enough to get out of the way when plugged in, and step in when on battery - unless overridden by the user/app, it would make more sense than the situation we have now.

Mainly there needs to be a physical switch between outputs of both GPU's to the screens - to keep them directly connected when in use.

Right now the iGPU is always on, and that turns out to have been a not so thermally friendly idea - to put the GPU on the same dies as the GPU - pretty basic thermodynamics really.

At least it works for your usage, for those that it didn't/doesn't they can and will get something else. I just wish Asus provided both user desired options.

GottiBoi55
10-12-2014, 02:09 AM
Now on the the subject of nVidia Optimus, and the the ability to enable/disable via BIOS.
Most other manufactures of NBs today will give you the option to enable/disable via BIOS, or via a hot key.
My question for Asus is, why omit this ability in BIOS (or hot key) to "disable Opitmus" if one sees fit to do so?
Please in a future BIOS update, give your "loyal" G series owners this ability to choose that option!
Thank you very much!

GottiBoi55
10-12-2014, 01:50 PM
GottiBoi55, although Optimus is supposed to be automatic, there seem to be many exceptions, some apps, some games, some utilities that touch the hardware for data.

It looks like there is an Optimus API that could be used, but if the app wasn't built with the API library it is hit or miss as to whether the app will see one GPU or the other, or nothing, or a combination of both.

https://developer.nvidia.com/optimus

It seems to me that a multi-gpu solution, on the order of battery / ac + custom setting should be implemented by Microsoft in Windows - I wonder if there are API's in development for this situation, to replace Optimus vendor solution, and generalize it for all GPU's.

If Optimus was just smart enough to get out of the way when plugged in, and step in when on battery - unless overridden by the user/app, it would make more sense than the situation we have now.

Mainly there needs to be a physical switch between outputs of both GPU's to the screens - to keep them directly connected when in use.

Right now the iGPU is always on, and that turns out to have been a not so thermally friendly idea - to put the GPU on the same dies as the GPU - pretty basic thermodynamics really.

At least it works for your usage, for those that it didn't/doesn't they can and will get something else. I just wish Asus provided both user desired options.

Thanks hmscott :)
I already use the overrides stated in that link provided by nVidia for an Opitmus enabled system. (ie: right click menu, or via nVidia control panel)

There's one thing I can't figure out!
Now with an Optimus enabled system, when you run the "PowerShell" command "Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_WinSAT" to obtain your WEI, it will only show the reading for the "intel onboard graphic chip" as pictured below.

Shurigan
10-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Thank you for the answers, I imagined that the issue was related to the dualism between the GPUs. :D

I received the SSD in the meanwhile. I'm going to install it now. Good luck to me. :D

hmscott
10-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks hmscott :)
I already use the overrides stated in that link provided by nVidia for an Opitmus enabled system. (ie: right click menu, or via nVidia control panel)

There's one thing I can't figure out!
Now with an Optimus enabled system, when you run the "PowerShell" command "Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_WinSAT" to obtain your WEI, it will only show the reading for the "intel onboard graphic chip" as pictured below.

GottiBoi55, even with a global setting for the Nvidia GPU be used to run anything, Windows will use the Intel GPU - the GUI, IE, command-line tools, anything that isn't dual GPU aware or isn't blessed by Optimus...

I haven't had the need, but there are a lot of things you can do with Nvidia Inspector, maybe it can be used to affect individual command line apps to run in a switched Nvidia environment.

Guide:NVIDIA Inspector
-- by the S.T.E.P. Team and Wiki Editors
http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector

Shurigan
10-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Why things have to be always more difficult than they should? :(

In my G750 there's not a caddy for the second HDD. :mad:

What am I supposed to do now? Contact Asus? Is it possible to buy it somewhere?

GottiBoi55
10-16-2014, 03:43 AM
GottiBoi55, even with a global setting for the Nvidia GPU be used to run anything, Windows will use the Intel GPU - the GUI, IE, command-line tools, anything that isn't dual GPU aware or isn't blessed by Optimus...

I haven't had the need, but there are a lot of things you can do with Nvidia Inspector, maybe it can be used to affect individual command line apps to run in a switched Nvidia environment.

Guide:NVIDIA Inspector
-- by the S.T.E.P. Team and Wiki Editors
http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector

Thanks hmscott for sharing.
Another reason to love Optimus...LOL

hmscott
10-16-2014, 04:02 AM
Why things have to be always more difficult than they should? :(

In my G750 there's not a caddy for the second HDD. :mad:

What am I supposed to do now? Contact Asus? Is it possible to buy it somewhere?

Shurigan, that is unusual... the caddy disk mounting screws are taped to the inside of the laptop box, or in a plastic bag in the manual bag. Maybe dig around in the box to see if you can find the caddy?

Otherwise, contact Asus and explain the problem, and maybe they will send you one. I think all G750's are supposed to come with the 2nd caddy for user expansion.

https://vip.asus.com <== create login, register laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry stating the issue, ask for Asus to send you a caddy :)

You can purchase additional caddy's from Asus estore in your region.

Here is the list of G750 items available on the Asus US estore, including the caddy
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=g750&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

Shurigan
10-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Shurigan, that is unusual... the caddy disk mounting screws are taped to the inside of the laptop box, or in a plastic bag in the manual bag. Maybe dig around in the box to see if you can find the caddy?

Otherwise, contact Asus and explain the problem, and maybe they will send you one. I think all G750's are supposed to come with the 2nd caddy for user expansion.

https://vip.asus.com <== create login, register laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry stating the issue, ask for Asus to send you a caddy :)

You can purchase additional caddy's from Asus estore in your region.

Here is the list of G750 items available on the Asus US estore, including the caddy
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=g750&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0Bad news, unfortunately. :mad:

I'm gonna open a specific thread for this issue, thank you for your help here anyway. :D

ser_nanni
12-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Hi Shurigan

I'm going to buy the same your model just here in Italy.

Do you have some special or normal tips from the day by day use to highlight or underline?
Do you have solved your issue with the caddy? In any case the most important think is that the second SATA connector is really present in side (is it?).
Thanks in advance for any reply
Ciao
S

Martin-Rott
12-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Hi ser_nanni,

bought my T4096H here in Italy approx. 1 month ago.
Mine had / has the second caddy (used now for a 840 EVO SSD).
Guess Shurigan had just bad luck getting his one without.
For day by day use I’d turn of the annoying auto-brightness when using the battery.
The rest is up to you and what you plan to do…