PDA

View Full Version : Asus ROG G750JZ screen problem With Pictures Included

Radu121
10-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Hello everyone,
So about three weeks ago I bought a brand new "Notebook / Laptop ASUS 17.3'' G750JZ-T4152D, FHD, Procesor Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz Haswell, 16GB, 1TB, GeForce GTX 880M 4GB"
and today, out of nowhere while browsing the internet my screen became all pixelated whit some strange vertial lines on it and it also flickered some green, red white blue lights after that for about 4 seconds.

However, when I connect it to my monitor, the image is fine. I have included some pictures below with the pixelated image and the normal image on my monitor. You can really see the vertical lines on the laptop screen on the clouds to the left and the pixelation (I don't know how to call it) effect on the writing, for example under Google Chrome, Network or Audio Wizard.

If anyone has encountered this issue or something similar, please help.
Thank you.

hmscott
10-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Hello everyone,
So about three weeks ago I bought a brand new "Notebook / Laptop ASUS 17.3'' G750JZ-T4152D, FHD, Procesor Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz Haswell, 16GB, 1TB, GeForce GTX 880M 4GB"
and today, out of nowhere while browsing the internet my screen became all pixelated whit some strange vertial lines on it and it also flickered some green, red white blue lights after that for about 4 seconds.

However, when I connect it to my monitor, the image is fine. I have included some pictures below with the pixelated image and the normal image on my monitor. You can really see the vertical lines on the laptop screen on the clouds to the left and the pixelation (I don't know how to call it) effect on the writing, for example under Google Chrome, Network or Audio Wizard.
If anyone has encountered this issue or something similar, please help.
Thank you.

Radu121, the screen shots don't match your description, they are of a 1680x1050 desktop resolution screen - is that your external screen?

The problem you described sounds like a flakey GPU - on the JZ that can be the Intel GPU or the Nvidia GPU - but if it is happening on the desktop it is likely the Intel GPU - or LCD support hardware - a hardware problem.

If you are still in the return period you should return it to the seller to get a new replacement or a refund, and get another JZ, as it isn't supposed to be doing that :)

If you can't return it to the seller, then you can RMA it to Asus for repair, which takes 1 - 4 weeks depending on the parts needed for repair.

You can file a Technical Inquiry describing the problem, attach a zip file with photo's if you can capture the pixelation event in a photo, and ask for a repair RMA. Asus may ask you to try a few things before sending it, but a photo should short circuit that delay by showing it is a hardware issue.

http://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry here

Please come back and let us know how it works out for you :)

Radu121
10-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Hey Scott,
Thank you for the reply, the first photo is of my external display (you can see the writing FLATRON on the top) and the second one is of my laptop screen while having "duplicate displays" active in the display selector. I want to add that I did this just to show the difference in pixelation and fuzziness and that the problem occurred while I was using only my laptop display which was set at 1920 x 1080.

However, after shutting down the laptop and waiting 30 minutes the problem just went away and now it works just fine :| so now I am in a bit of a dilemma as I can't send back a product that works just fine.

Radu121
10-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Also, I don't know if you can tell from these photos since the quality is quite poor but the laptop was working just fine with perfect image on the external display and I only had the problem on the laptop display which led me to believe that something happened to the laptop screen.

Ok so nevermind...... it happened again, here are the pictures and this time I only photographed my laptop without any monitor connected. As you can see the lines are quite visible and the screen also has a bluish hue to it. Also, if I connect my monitor the image on it is just fine.

hmscott
10-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Hey Scott,
Thank you for the reply, the first photo is of my external display (you can see the writing FLATRON on the top) and the second one is of my laptop screen while having "duplicate displays" active in the display selector. I want to add that I did this just to show the difference in pixelation and fuzziness and that the problem occurred while I was using only my laptop display which was set at 1920 x 1080.

However, after shutting down the laptop and waiting 30 minutes the problem just went away and now it works just fine :| so now I am in a bit of a dilemma as I can't send back a product that works just fine.

Radu121, in this situation you can try to force the problem to appear by doing a benchmark or stress test on each of the GPU's to see if that will induce the issue.

Some GPU's are out of spec enough that even at normal operating temperatures they will show artifacting, like you would see if you Overclock a GPU and push the GPU or memory frequency too far. If it happens at normal settings under normal ambient temperature conditions the part needs reaplacing.

Here are a couple of medium strength benchmarks I use to induce a failure - it shouldn't fail normally.

Furmark - run the 15 minute burn-in test - on both Intel and Nvidia GPU and see if that induces the artifacts.
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Unigine Heaven - run the benchmark - on both Intel and Nvidia GPU
https://unigine.com/products/heaven/

If it is the driver parts, not the GPU, there isn't a specific test - except to increase system heat overall. So if the above tests don't induce the problem. Try running Furmark at the same time as Prime95 for 15 minutes, and see if the problem shows up then.

Prime95 - run the FFT's some RAM, highest heat/power draw test
http://www.mersenne.org/download/

Please let us know how it works out :)

hmscott
10-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Also, I don't know if you can tell from these photos since the quality is quite poor but the laptop was working just fine with perfect image on the external display and I only had the problem on the laptop display which led me to believe that something happened to the laptop screen.

Ok so nevermind...... it happened again, here are the pictures and this time I only photographed my laptop without any monitor connected. As you can see the lines are quite visible and the screen also has a bluish hue to it. Also, if I connect my monitor the image on it is just fine.

Radu121, now I see it :)

So, when you RMA the laptop, if you can't return it to the seller, include photo's of both the problem and when it is working normally to show Asus the problem and that it is intermittent.

It is likely a driver component for the screen. Some people complain about faint lines, like you are seeing but barely visible - and I think those are slightly out of spec driver components that are replaceable - you can fix those faint lines as well as your pronounced lines by replacing the out of spec / failing driver component parts with the right spec / value components.

Most people don't have the faint line issue, none of my 3 G750's have had them. This is the first time I have seen such a pronounced lines issue. This definitely is a fixable problem, and not liveable until fixed.

You can still try the benchmarks to see if you can induce the problem on demand, but likely as not these components are unaffected by system heat - they are just bad.