PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Questions!

PineBerries
10-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Hey guys!
I read through a bunch of threads but I'm completely lost ^^
I just got my Asus G74SX-XA1 today.
And I was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction regarding updates..
Sorry ^^ I'm new to the Asus family.
Any help would be awesome!
Thanks in advance!

o//PineBerries.

fuzon1337
10-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi

What updates are you wondering about ? You can use Windows Updater, and Asus Live Update.
That should cover some of the updates to your computer :)

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 08:09 PM
I have pretty much the same system. Look in my sig for my current drivers. Plus look here http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

BTW uninstall ASUS live update. It's useless.

BrodyBoy
10-25-2011, 08:23 PM
BTW uninstall ASUS live update. It's useless.
Worse than useless.....it's bad, glitchy software. Uninstalling it should be high on every user's To-Do List.

dstrakele
10-25-2011, 08:31 PM
There's another new Atheros WiFi driver - 9.2.1.459 (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921459.zip) Don't know what's different but if someone wants to try it let us know how well it works. :D

And as JRd1st usually points out, updating the stock Atheros Wireless Adapter driver is one of the most critical updates. The stock driver is responsible for more issues than you would believe because of its high DPC Latency.

I also recommend configuring Windows Update to let you choose which updates to download and install. Microsoft updates can occasionally cause problems on some systems, even if they don't encounter problems on installation. If Windows Update installs them automatically, you may never know what change caused the problem on your system.

I typically install the Security updates immediately, but read the KB articles to determine if I'm experiencing the issues other critical updates are supposed to fix. If I haven't observed those issues, then I don't install the update. Knowing when you installed Microsoft updates can make it easier to restore your system to an earlier time.

PineBerries
10-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Alright thanks ^^
I'll be sure to remove that.
Should I do a clean install of windows 7? Everyone says its a must do..

and By "updates" pretty much what JRd1st said ^^
I was just curious if there was any specific order I should start. ^^

Thanks guys!

o//PineBerries.

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Doesn't matter what order you do updates, but if you do a clean install you have to install the Chipset drivers first, after you install windows.

You don't sound ready to do a clean install. Familiarize yourself with everything, then do some research. ;)

Here's a start with your research (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html).

PineBerries
10-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the info ^^
I'll be sure to look into it.

Do you guys recommend me installing/removing anything else (besides the one you guys already mentioned)
o//PineBerries.

dstrakele
10-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Here is a useful guide of ASUS pre-installed applications: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html
It can help you determine which apps you want to uninstall.

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 10:04 PM
All I kept was Power4Gear Hybrid, Wireless Console 3, Fastboot, Life Frame 3. But look at that guide and see for yourself.

PineBerries
10-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks!
I just finished uninstalling everything.
Going to start installing everything now.

Quick question!
How do you fix stuck pixels? )x
and is the right side of the keyboard (mainly above the arrow keys) supposed to heat up?
I'm in Entertainment mode.. I don't think my computer is doing much work.. but its slowly heating up.

Sorry for the questions! ^^"
Thanks in advance :D
o//PineBerries.

Edit:
I might return it and get another one. Since i got it from Amazon.
Is it worth the hassle?

BrodyBoy
10-25-2011, 10:50 PM
If the pixel is dead, it's not fixable. Sometimes stuck pixels clear up on their own, but don't count on it.

I'd say return it and get a different one. Amazon returns make it incredibly easy.

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 10:51 PM
It depends how badly a dead pixel bothers you. Also that might be an indication of more to come. I would exchange it.

PineBerries
10-25-2011, 10:55 PM
It was a stuck pixel ^^
And i tried a program to fix it.. and two more appeared.. =___=
SO! I'm going to return it asap.
So much for playing games this week :3

Thanks for the advice guys.
I'll be more prepared next time ^^

o//PineBerries.

JRd1st
10-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Good luck!