PDA

View Full Version : G55 Network Card Replacement

KacperAK
10-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Hey guys,

So, I ordered up a G55VW, but when I got it, the OS install was broken. After downgrading to win7 through legacy BIOS, I noticed my wireless adapter was not being recognized (though I understand it's an integrated adapter). I read that this was an issue with many computers when they downgrade, so I disabled legacy mode and re-installed windows 8. However, my wireless adapter still isn't being recognized. Bluetooth and

However, I do still have my old G75jh with a working dedicated network adapter, the atheros ar9285, that hasn't had any issues. I don't really want to return this computer (I got a half-decent deal on it), nor do I want to ship it away for two weeks within a day of receiving it, so I was thinking of just popping that one into this one.

My questions are these:

1. Has anyone else had this issue? Can I be fairly certain that this is a hardware issue, with no software fix?

2. Does the G55 have a slot, and the physical space, to pop a new network adapter in there?
3. Will this card work with the G55?
3. Are there any guides specifically referring to locating/replacing the network card in both these computers? All the G55 videos I've found are just sped-up, full tear-downs with no audio or explanation. It's been awhile since I've messed around with computer hardware, and I wouldn't mind some guidance, lest I do something incredibly stupid. My g75 is a dying POS, so I don't really care what I do to it.

Thanks guys.