PDA

View Full Version : G751 Not having 120Hz?

Deluxius
10-11-2014, 12:07 AM
Is it correct that the G751 does not have 120Hz screen? It is a shame if the Asus people dont fix this. It has been going on for quite some time now. All the models before in this serie do not have 120Hz screens.

It is basically like having a racecar with a lawn mower engine. I really do not understand why the Asus people do not get a better 120Hz screen. It is not like the cost of a120Hz screen is that much more.

I guess Asus dont think gamers care about things like screen tearing and jearky motion.

I think lots of people are not going to buy this pc because of this considerable issue.

WhiteEyeDoll
10-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Well as it will have a 860M/970M/980M it will not be able to handle more demanding games even at 80FPS anyway.

Only games like Dota 2 or LoL and other lightweights with simple graphics would benefit from that.

The 120Hz display would not be worth it considering the possible negative battery life effects.

Deluxius
10-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Lets look at a quote." I have a 120 hz monitor as well, with a second 60hz monitor beside it, and I can tell you the difference is pretty huge. Everything just looks super smooth and fast. Normally when you drag a window around the screen, it leaves streaks and it goes out of focus a bit. In 120hz it stays in perfect focus the whole time and doesn't streak at all. It looks really weird at first."

860M/970M/980M? Im running a old gtx580. And I clearly see the difference. Anywas Do you always max everything out on your graphics card? From what I know, you can choose the settings for your graphics card to run how many FPS you want, depending on resolution, effects, details and many others.

And most games in this world is what you refer to;)

If you also read around. People clame that you also see difference when comparing to other screens running on same 60 fps! Heh and you can also notice it is 2 groups of people. The once that has tryed 120Hz, and the once that has not tryed. Generally if you want the screen to run as good as possible 120Hz is the thing. And if you have a 120Hz, your not going back.

Not being worth it considering the battery time? Are you running around gaming your "hevyweight" games on battery? how much batterytime does that give you anyways??? I think people buying this types of pc's have it plugd in 99% of the time

_
10-12-2014, 03:22 PM
People wanted IPS, so we put IPS in them. 120Hz = TN.
You can always plug it into an external VG/PG monitor over DP/HDMI to achieve the 120-144Hz option :) If you're on battery you're using Battery Boost anyway, which means you'll likely hit over 60FPS anyway. Plugged in and you're at a desk so can use an external monitor if you really need the 120+ option.

Deluxius
10-12-2014, 08:31 PM
People want IPS? Who are theses people? Look at this conclusion from a screen review.

"Gamers will generally be happy with TN panels and their exceptional response time. Photographers and graphic designers should buy an IPS monitor instead"

The G751, is it not aimed at gamers? Maby the people wanting IPS, are the people looking for other pc's?

And I have heard this argument about pluging into other screens many times. I have a stationary pc, with an external 120Hz screen. When someone acquire an laptop. Maby it is because they do things like for example travle? try brining your laptop and an external 120Hz screen around. Is that something you think is normal and considered as practical? what about the size of a normal 120Hz external screen, nower days they are pretty big.(23inches and up)

In the end Many people are going to end up buying other pc's because of this! Hope more people soon see this

_
10-13-2014, 01:41 AM
No, that's not the feedback we've had overwhelmingly from here on ROG forums, from media, from other tech communities and from customers through our sales channels. If you look at the Tech Report's recent enthusiast survey results they will back this up also.

TN's have to be 8-bit grade in order to have a positive response now, as the color quality is better than most eIPS, but this is not available in 15-17". Wwe do use them for the 4K PB287Q and 144Hz PG series.

MHaensel
10-14-2014, 04:38 AM
The IPS screen is a big part of why I'm buying a G751. For me, not having to get the screen positioned just so to be properly visible outweighs a small disadvantage in gaming.

If it helps, there are custom-built laptops that still offer 120Hz (TN) screens. Check xoticpc (http://www.xoticpc.com/)and powernotebooks (http://www.powernotebooks.com/)for a few.

OldTimez
10-14-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm also pretty sure that most of the 20+ reviews I saw on the G750 said they wanted an IPS screen.

Ozy311
10-19-2014, 02:36 PM
I am totally fine with using an external 144hz screen on my G751JY I just got, and I want that screen to be the asus rog pg278q but only if the G751 can do G-Sync. Can we get a definitive answer on this? If it is no, is it simply because Nvidia hasn't enabled it or is there an Asus-specific HW reason why it would not support G-Sync. This is a feature that I think is GREATLY needed on this laptop since it cannot push 120 or 144hz solid.

_
10-20-2014, 02:34 AM
Yes it can do GSync over G751 mDP to PG278Q DP direct. You cannot use HDMI to DP adapter however.

hmscott
10-20-2014, 02:59 AM
Yes it can do GSync over G751 mDP to PG278Q DP direct. You cannot use HDMI to DP adapter however.

MarshallR, I thought it was supposed to work too, but recently Nvidia took down the G-Sync emblems from all the mobile GPU's; the 980m, 970m, 880m, and removed them from the G-sync compatible GPU list.

ROG G750JZ connected to ROG SWIFT PG278Q
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51653-ROG-G750JZ-connected-to-ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q&p=444075&viewfull=1#post444075
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51653-ROG-G750JZ-connected-to-ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q&p=444106&viewfull=1#post444106

G-Sync Supported GPUs
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/supported-gpus

880m
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-880m

970m
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-970m

980m
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-980m

Marshall, can you please double check for us?

_
10-20-2014, 03:45 AM
It's a *very* recent change because Nvidia UK site still lists G-Sync support on its 880M

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-880m

I am trying to confirm today, but it might take a few days.

Ozy311
10-20-2014, 04:08 AM
It's a *very* recent change because Nvidia UK site still lists G-Sync support on its 880M

Thank you for taking the time to validating this. This will determine me purchasing the PG278Q as an immediate accessory for my G751.

hmscott
10-20-2014, 04:55 AM

Marshall, the UK site has the G-sync emblem in the 880m/870m/860m/850m pages, but not in the new 970m/980m - and the G-sync supported GPU list lists the 880m/870m/860m/850m, but not the 970m/980m.

Hopefully this is just a site content snafu, and G-sync is supported :)

UK Site

UK Site

Ozy311
10-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Still anxiously awaiting the answer to this. The PG278Q is hard to source, so it's not a 911 yet, but I want to know so when I get an in-stock notification that I should jump on it.

_
10-22-2014, 08:12 AM
The engineering sample PG we borrowed didn't work properly so I can't confirm for now sorry. I would assume not until further notice.

lightree
11-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Yeah the lack of 120Hz support display really bummed me out. I was so looking forward to the G751 for a 3D, i.e. 120Hz display, and I don't want to spend 2500$ on a G750JH-cv011h (the 120hz version) because it is becoming old. I've been using Asus since my very first computer, Asus N75SF, with which I got into gaming. After reading about the benefits of 120Hz display, i went at a friend's tried it. It is absolutely undeniable that 120hz is superior to 60Hz. Even if the game is able to run at 61fps, the difference is clear . There is no question about that. I'm afraid the only decent option I have for a 120Hz laptop is Alien 17. Too bad :(

Ozy311
11-13-2014, 11:33 AM
I can confirm that my Asus G751JY-DH72X runs just fine with G-Sync on a Swift PG278q. I got in three of them today to swap out my older PG278H screens and before installing them, I tested one on the Asus ROG laptop. It runs PERFECTLY!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8278/15157566654_e6ec7d7aed_h.jpg

Now I need to eBay my 3 1080p 120z PG278Q this weekend to make back some of the $2400 I just dumped on these three screens.

Deluxius
11-15-2014, 06:31 PM
It seems to me that alot of people here are talking about external screens. That for me confirms the whole point. And yes I see that the IPS screens give good colours and so on. But the reality is that for gaming, that is not super important. Alot of screens you can also calibrate, getting pretty decent results.

I really want to see the person saying that is it practical to bring their PG27 around in the backpack together with the laptop.

And if you don't have the 8 bit upgrade you were talking about, maby it is time to look into it. I belive alot of people are choosing other pc's because of this. when it comes to my friends, I have 3 friends that don't want this pc because of this.

Also MarshallR@ASUS it would be nice if you can find quotes from proffesional gamers, saying that they prefer 60Hz screens. I find it strange that they ofthen are promoting 120/144Hz screens if the 60Hz IPS is so much better. And yes Im talking here about gaming.

By the way I think the Asus have an awsome product here. It is only bummer is the screen that office people, probably are happy with.

Deluxius
11-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Lightree here is talking about the old G750 having a 120Hz screen (G750JH-cv011h). Will we see this in the new G751? And if so, when is it comming out?

I think most serious gamers will be more interested in this pc. If Asus releases a 120Hz.

Then the remaining IPS lovers can play solitaire on their 60Hz;)

irablumberg
11-26-2014, 01:58 AM
I'm really happy with the IPS screen in my G751jy. In fact the screen was the deciding factor for me choosing the 751 over the new MSI.

CoryBee
11-26-2014, 05:29 AM
I think this is a ridiculous conversation. I have been seriously disappointed by my G750JZs inability to perform above 6ohz.

The whole reason I found this forum, that I am even considering buying a new G751JY is because I was trying to find a way to disable optimus in my laptop so I may increase the refresh rate manually through Nvidia's control panel.

I was confused when I saw that these new G751s didn't have 120hz screens and 3D enabled. There were a few models of G750s that had it and I would have gone with one of those if it weren't for this one I have being much more powerful in terms of specs.

The whole notion that we are supposed to be gaming on an external screen seems like a huge cop out for the device we paid for. What good is an IPS screen if you assume we plan on not using it for gaming at all?

I move around a lot, which is the only reason that I decided on selling my custom built desktop to purchase something that I can put in my briefcase (Mezzi aluminum laptop case) and anywhere I go plug the baby in and start gaming at the airport, at my new house, at a friends, etc.

If I wanted to game on an external screen I would have built a far more powerful desktop computer for a far better price.

Maybe a decent amount of people that you have spoken with plug their laptops into an external monitor but I don't believe for a second that 80% of ROG Laptop gamers do. It just doesn't make sense.

As soon as I receive the new G751JY I will be increasing the refresh rate manually. Playing BF4 on 60hz+60fps is like night and day when everything is moving fast compared to 120hz+120fps.

Richdog
11-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Seroiusly, 120hz is not an issue for the vast majority of gamers who play with AA enabled and frame rated rarely go abover 80fps.

i would MUCH rather have a 60hz IPS screen than a 120hz TN panel... it is so much easier on the eyes and so much more suited to general use at the times you aren't gaming (browsing, photos, movies etc).

TN panels suck vs IPS, hence why IPS is so highly sought after.

irablumberg
11-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Seroiusly, 120hz is not an issue for the vast majority of gamers who play with AA enabled and frame rated rarely go abover 80fps.

i would MUCH rather have a 60hz IPS screen than a 120hz TN panel... it is so much easier on the eyes and so much more suited to general use at the times you aren't gaming (browsing, photos, movies etc).

TN panels suck vs IPS, hence why IPS is so highly sought after.

+1!

CoryBee
11-26-2014, 06:51 PM
60hz equates to 60fps (not exactly but close)

My rig is able to push 130fps sometimes on Battlefield 4 and yet my screen whimps out on producing the smoothness that comes with such a high frame rate.

Especially in FPS games is this important. I can tell a huge difference when I use my 120hz LCD screen back in the states. When I turn my character there is no blurring of the surroundings at 120fps and I can spot more things while on the move. In the same instances during gameplay with the native 60hz/fps screen I currently have on my G750JZ those areas that are crystal clear while moving are now blurred, just like in the movie world, you are missing frames that your eyes can utilize.

It is a fact that we can utilize insane amount of FPS, we could even use 1k+ FPS and we would piss at the though of using anything less after using such a setting. Even using something like 700 FPS would look sluggish after using 1k.

I am almost positive that people who say 120hz/fps isn't important have never utilized it before in such a way (gaming).

This gentleman puts it pretty well, I recommend everyone watch it and similar videos;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWZ_kWTB9w

It comes down to, the more FPS the better, PERIOD. There is no discussion about it. The ability to perceive more information in a shorter time is crucial and very easy to perceive. It will come to a point in the future where this is standard. That 200fps is normal for gaming, I am sure of this. We get more powerful this and that for a reason. Why linger behind, you essentially bottleneck the system by only having 60fps. You just aren't getting the most of your system, of the gaming experience.

_
11-27-2014, 01:18 AM
Optimus doesn't support GSync, so since our our GTX800-series notebooks have Optimus, it won't be supported.

We only plan to have IPS displays on premium products now as this is a high demand from media and customers. Unless a display manuf. releases IPS @ 120Hz in 15 or 17", I doubt we'll be including sorry.

Most TN's suck, although the latest 8-bit TNs in the PB287 and PG278 have been very highly regarded in reviews. The only thing they still lack is the extreme viewing angles, but rarely do people sit at anything other than straight-on. The older 15/17" 120Hz TN's are not 8-bit however, so there is a large difference.

Richdog
11-27-2014, 07:23 AM
60hz equates to 60fps (not exactly but close)

My rig is able to push 130fps sometimes on Battlefield 4 and yet my screen whimps out on producing the smoothness that comes with such a high frame rate.

Especially in FPS games is this important. I can tell a huge difference when I use my 120hz LCD screen back in the states. When I turn my character there is no blurring of the surroundings at 120fps and I can spot more things while on the move. In the same instances during gameplay with the native 60hz/fps screen I currently have on my G750JZ those areas that are crystal clear while moving are now blurred, just like in the movie world, you are missing frames that your eyes can utilize.

It is a fact that we can utilize insane amount of FPS, we could even use 1k+ FPS and we would piss at the though of using anything less after using such a setting. Even using something like 700 FPS would look sluggish after using 1k.

I am almost positive that people who say 120hz/fps isn't important have never utilized it before in such a way (gaming).

This gentleman puts it pretty well, I recommend everyone watch it and similar videos;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWZ_kWTB9w

It comes down to, the more FPS the better, PERIOD. There is no discussion about it. The ability to perceive more information in a shorter time is crucial and very easy to perceive. It will come to a point in the future where this is standard. That 200fps is normal for gaming, I am sure of this. We get more powerful this and that for a reason. Why linger behind, you essentially bottleneck the system by only having 60fps. You just aren't getting the most of your system, of the gaming experience.

Ive seen it, and again, I MUCH prefer having an IPS for the colours, viewing angles, and all the times that I am NOT gaming. I also use my laptop for productivity, and theres an area where a TN panel simply cannot compete.

Besides, we all play different types of games... I do not play fast-twitch multiplayer FPS, I play single player story-driven games, fantasy role playing games, and RTS. IPS suits this perfectly... my games look and play awesomely and feel completely smooth.

You are in the minority of people who care about having a 120hz crummy TN panel vs having a glorious IPS.

hmscott
11-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Anyone for a 1440p 144hz 27" IPS Laptop screen? :)

144Hz IPS-type Panels Developed - 1440p as Well
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/144hz-ips-type-panels-developed-1440p-as-well.html

Can a laptop 1440p 144hz IPS screen be far behind?

How about an 18.x" ROG Laptop with 1440p 144hz IPS, Asus?

irablumberg
11-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Ive seen it, and again, I MUCH prefer having an IPS for the colours, viewing angles, and all the times that I am NOT gaming. I also use my laptop for productivity, and theres an area where a TN panel simply cannot compete.

Besides, we all play different types of games... I do not play fast-twitch multiplayer FPS, I play single player story-driven games, fantasy role playing games, and RTS. IPS suits this perfectly... my games look and play awesomely and feel completely smooth.

You are in the minority of people who care about having a 120hz crummy TN panel vs having a glorious IPS.

+1!

CoryBee
11-28-2014, 08:54 AM

Solid point actually.

I did a bit more research and found that IPS monitors that do 120hz doesn't really exist on laptops yet. Not sure about desktop ones.

Didn't realize we were sacrificing IPS to have higher Hz rates. I see now why these have 60hz screens.

It is unfortunate though that we don't have a choice to upgrade the screen then to suit a multitude of gamers. I would gladly change to a screen that was able to give me a higher frame rate.

Found this on a forum, makes sense;
"From previous knowledge, which is a bit rusty, it is due to the fact that the panel - using IPS, results in a much slowed response time which is why hardcore gamers sometimes prefer to use a TN panel as response times are down to a millisecond, even at the cost of some brightness and vividity in the colours of an IPS.

I don't believe the speed of 1-2ms has been developed for IPS due to the way it switches between frames and as such is difficult to minimise the time elapsed."

Cheers

Richdog
11-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Solid point actually.

I did a bit more research and found that IPS monitors that do 120hz doesn't really exist on laptops yet. Not sure about desktop ones.

Didn't realize we were sacrificing IPS to have higher Hz rates. I see now why these have 60hz screens.

It is unfortunate though that we don't have a choice to upgrade the screen then to suit a multitude of gamers. I would gladly change to a screen that was able to give me a higher frame rate.

Found this on a forum, makes sense;
"From previous knowledge, which is a bit rusty, it is due to the fact that the panel - using IPS, results in a much slowed response time which is why hardcore gamers sometimes prefer to use a TN panel as response times are down to a millisecond, even at the cost of some brightness and vividity in the colours of an IPS.

I don't believe the speed of 1-2ms has been developed for IPS due to the way it switches between frames and as such is difficult to minimise the time elapsed."

Cheers

I understand and respct your point regarding the choice of panel type, but for me personally it really isn't noticeable that IPS has a "much slowed response" (and I have been an IPS gamer for years, my last monitor was a 6ms NEC 20GX2, which sadly was one of a kind, the blacks were truly exceptional). I don't play fast-twitch multiplayer games hat need that kind of edge, and all of the FPS I play (Bioshock Infinite and Deus Ex Human Revolution at the moment) look perfectly fine to me when I'm running around and shooting. :)

Darnassus
11-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Hold on, just to make this clear... the G751 has Optimus, and we can NOT overclock the screen's refresh rate?

Richdog
11-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Hold on, just to make this clear... the G751 has Optimus, and we can NOT overclock the screen's refresh rate?

Only on his model (JZ) I think, not the others (at least not on JY).

andreacos92
11-28-2014, 04:32 PM
G751 with 970m/980m have NOT Optimus.. Asus disabled it.
From what I read, someone overclocked the screen up to 100Hz, but then had image retention issue and had to reset to 60Hz.

I think that 75/80Hz should be possible and quite safe, but that's my opinion :)

Richdog
12-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Guys, I have now overclocked my panel to 100hz and (thus far) it seems to be stable without (thus far) affecting image quality. That means I have a panel with all of the huge benefits of an IPS, but with almost 120hz TN speeds. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54283-ASUS-G751-overclock-screen-refresh-rate-to-75hz-quick-and-easy!

Of course YMMV, but even if you get a 90hz overclock then this is still a huge 50% improvement over stock.

KingOfTanks#1131
12-05-2014, 06:40 AM
I don't mind having it be 60 I use a 4k screen at home but when I am out of town the g751 does the job above and beyond IPS over TN any day of the week

bsod
12-05-2014, 10:08 AM
My 751jt is currently clocked at 74hz to avoid the flickering issues I've been having with certain background patterns on websites.
It would improve a lot with 100hz I'm sure but not sure if I should just return this machine, as I am not sure how bad the voltage alignment issues are with my machine's display.

There's already quite a difference going from 60Hz -> 74Hz for me.
On the inversion pattern website http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php#invpattern it goes from heavy flickering of #5 and 7a, light flickering of 7b -> light/med flickering of #5, no flicker for 7a and light flickering for 7b.

hmscott
12-05-2014, 10:41 AM
My 751jt is currently clocked at 74hz to avoid the flickering issues I've been having with certain background patterns on websites.
It would improve a lot with 100hz I'm sure but not sure if I should just return this machine, as I am not sure how bad the voltage alignment issues are with my machine's display.

There's already quite a difference going from 60Hz -> 74Hz for me.
On the inversion pattern website http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php#invpattern it goes from heavy flickering of #5 and 7a, light flickering of 7b -> light/med flickering of #5, no flicker for 7a and light flickering for 7b.

bsod, do I understand that at 74hz you still have light flickering? This was the same on the Chi Mei displays. Setting at 85hz or more was required to remove all hint of flickering.

bsod
12-05-2014, 10:50 AM
I'll try that, just not sure how far to push the refresh rate on these things =). I posted a more detailed reply on notebookreview.

Actually just tried it, but it doesn't make much of a difference.. just diminishing returns. I think the inversion pattern used by this particular panel + the voltage setting is the culprit. Also the higher the brightness on the display the more obvious the voltage flickering. At the lowest brightness setting there is no flicker because there is no need to flip-flop the voltage? Not sure if that makes sense.

Up to 100Hz there isn't too much of a reduction in flicker, and at 120 I had to hard reboot after i just got black.