PDA

View Full Version : 2 annoying issues with my G750JX

cristian.g
10-12-2014, 07:26 AM
hello ROGers! recently i went to ASUS to replace my cooling system because my cpu fan was dead. now i noticed that my gpu is running waaaaay too hot - 94 degrees while running furmark and then cools down to 88 and so on. even while playing dota 2 i get somwhere around 82-85 degrees which is way too high fot this game.

now i have2 more issues: this damn laptop registers random keystrokes! now while writing this post i had to delete a lot of characters and enter presses and a home button as well. and 3 sleep cycles :mad::mad::mad:

second issue is that it randomly goes to sleep while browsing the web - it's not a thermal issue!

it's not normal to have this issue with a 1200 euros laptop. did any of you faced something similar? i am running 8.1 64bit.

Darnassus
10-12-2014, 11:59 AM
.. how long have you had it for? I'd get it replaced free of charge.

Those temps are a little bad, though the unit CAN withstand up to 100*C.. of course it's not desirable however.

I repasted myself, and my temps during gaming and so on don't go over 70*C on the GPU. Furmark sat at 72*C. Before it reached 83*C

Truthfully I cannot explain the random keystrokes. But download this http://prevx.com/ It's a rootkit scanner

Check for any suspicious roots.. and also disconnect from the internet as you test type.

If possible, connect a USB keyboard and type on that, check if the problem persists.

cristian.g
10-12-2014, 12:41 PM
i dont think they would replace it after 1 year and 3 months :D. the funny thing in furmark is that if i go for the burn test @1080p with 8x MSAA the temperature caps at 78 or so. but if i go for the full 15 minutes goes to 93. i am trying to replicate the randomly sleep bug. So far so good. I guess a reboot did the trick? and i also dont get random keystrokes :D

i always keep it on sleep, almost never shut down. maybe this could be a trigger? :)

have a nice weekend

EDIT: i cant repaste it by myself, still in warranty till july :) . and it's too much of a headache to tear it down :D

since my cpu fan died and replaced both fans on warranty I am considering switching to a lenovo y50-70.

Darnassus
10-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Ah yes, if you mentioned that in the first post.

Sleep is the bane of the G750's with Win8 I believe. Do not use sleep. Just shut the unit down.. if you are using Windows 8 then booting up only takes around 2-3 seconds. While sleep is convenient, it isn't healthy for computers in general in my understanding.

I always shut down, but if I need to turn off my computer to save power, while also keeping my documents alive, I will use Hibernate.

cristian.g
10-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Ok good to know. I will report here if I can replicate it. But I am still considering selling it just because of mobility issues - now I am more on the road and ... it's getting g exhausting :(

What about installing mac osx? Still a bit confused about it. I believe it was the trigger for my fried fan. What do you think ?

gazzacbr
10-13-2014, 03:49 AM
...What about installing mac osx? Still a bit confused about it. I believe it was the trigger for my fried fan. What do you think ?

the plot thickens ;)

if OS X is not installed correctly using the right kexts you can start up your laptop with no gpu/cpu power management and the fans will spin up to full speed. you should have heard them though as they get quite noisy even on this normally silent laptop.

having said that, all the information you need to install mavericks is on this forum with lots of help and all the modified kexts...
but its not easy ;)

Darnassus
10-13-2014, 06:43 AM
Ok good to know. I will report here if I can replicate it. But I am still considering selling it just because of mobility issues - now I am more on the road and ... it's getting g exhausting :(

What about installing mac osx? Still a bit confused about it. I believe it was the trigger for my fried fan. What do you think ?

Mobility issues?

Well of course, the G750's aren't laptops, they're desktop replacements, they're not for frequent traveling. ;d Of course you can use them for such.. but don't expect to get gaming performance away from the wall.

cristian.g
10-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks for your help Bro :)

pen2guin3
10-15-2014, 06:26 AM
I also have the G750jx model and a slightly different keyboard problem. Kind of opposite of yours I think - as I type and hit keys not all key strikes are being registered. It's not a huge problem thank god but it's a problem nonetheless. I've come across many people experiencing the same problem over at Amazon (where I purchased my G750). This model is my second one where I had to send my first unit back because of a speaker issue (sub-woofer kept going in and out with a crackling sound).

Jlieu
10-16-2014, 02:07 AM
Switching to Lenovo Y is a bad move once you on Asus G. Lenovo will have more visible heat problem after few month. My Older G series still at around 80*C Max when gaming after 4 to 5 years. How a device work depends on How you maintain it.