PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750js Strange Issue

deathlyhsk
10-13-2014, 07:16 AM
I opened up the back of my new g750js and found sticky...I guess glue? Above the ssd and below the GPU. I can't get at it exactly, but I wanted to know if anyone else has had glue in the back above the ssd and if its a problem or not.

Thanks.420654206542065

Darnassus
10-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Errgh, sh!t, that looks like the GPU thermal paste that's somehow ran down the board. Don't worry, it's 100% non conductive.. but, damn that's one bad paste job.

Do some thermal tests, make sure your GPU isn't overheating. Sadly you won't be able to properly tell if the GPU is actually over-heating on parts other than the die.. since the chips themselves do not have thermal probes.

If you run Furmark or any other graphically intensive video benching program and see any artifacts or strange colors or "glitches" your card may have had a very very bad paste job somehow.

If possible, use something plastic or wooden, or anything that's soft. (NOT METAL) and scrape some of the 'glue' up and rub it between your fingers. If it's like chewing gum and is stringy when you spread your fingers, then it's DEFINITELY the thermal paste of the GPU. Report back here with your discovery.

What you should be worried about is if the paste is there, then the question you need to ask is 'how much of the paste is left on my GPU to cool the chips..?" But yeah, do the tests and report back.. veeeery messy.

deathlyhsk
10-13-2014, 05:55 PM
I ran a Heaven benchmark test and the heat maxed out at 73C. I have been playing World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 on more or less max settings and have been hitting temps of 75-85, though I have been told that is normal for the G750JS with Nvidia 870M cards. The paste is indeed as your described. Amazon is offering me a full refund/replacement, thoughts?

Darnassus
10-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Well it seems okay. I just do not know how much of the paste ITSELF may still be on the GPU's chips / Vrams. I'd not get it replaced, because I'd repaste it myself, however.. if you're not as technically savvy I'm thinking you should get it swapped. Those temps sound good, mine are roughly the same ( a fair bit lower ).

Again the paste will not cause short circuits.. however yeah, depends how much of the paste is actually ON the GPU.