PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on which G74SX model.

SippyCupXIII
10-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Hello all,

I made another post recently about my recent G74SX-BBK7 purchase I made at my work and trying to "fix" the cool overtone of the screen while gaming. In the that post I asked a question about possibly going to a different G74SX model but it wasn't getting any replies for that so I wanted to make a separate post. So my question is upgrading to a different version worth it?

The only thing that I have to deal with is I traded my HP laptop in that I bought in May so I have around $450 on a giftcard and I need the 18 month financing for the rest so I have to buy from my work (Best Buy). So this leaves me with either the G74SX-BBK8 or the G74SX-A1 as upgrade options. I am sure you guys know the specs but I will list just in case to compare to my current model:

G74SX-BBK8

Processor: i7 2670QM (+200mhz)
Graphics Card: 2gb GTX 560M (Same)
Memory: 8gb PC3-10666 (Same)
Hard Drives: (2x) 500gb 7200rpm (Same)
Optical Drive: DVD Burner (Same)
Screen: 1600x900 (Same)

So basically I am getting a faster processor and this model fixes the vibrating speakers (which mine do) that were present in the BBK7 model from what numerous online reviews state. The price difference for me to get this model would be ~$140. That price is with the added two year accidental service plan. You can take ~$75 off if I so just the standard two year plan. I want to get at least a standard on this one since it only has a 1 year from Asus from my knowledge being a Best Buy specific model.

G74SX-A1

Processor: i7 2630QM (Same)
Graphics Card: 3gb GTX 560M (+1gb ram and 192bit)
Memory: 12gb PC3-10666 (+4gb)
Hard Drives: (2x) 750gb 7200rpm (+500gb total)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Reader/DVD Burner (+Blu-Ray)
Screen: 1920x1080 (+Full HD)

So with this model I have the same processor I have now vs getting the better one with the BBK8. This one has the better graphics card though but how big of a impact does the extra 1gb of memory and the 192bit make vs the 128bit in real world gaming? It also has an extra 4gb of memory which I could care less about since I don't do anything to need that much. The screen is full 1080p vs 900p on the other two models and also has Blu-Ray playback. It would be nice to have the 1080p screen while in windows but Blu-Ray playback isn't a must for me. I know that this model also comes with the bag and mouse which adds extra value and this also comes with the 2 year parts/labor and 1 year accidental protection with the computer. This makes me think that getting the plan through my work not worth it so that could be money I am saving. So the price difference with the extra plan would be ~$675 (accidental) or ~$600 (standard). Without the plan through Best Buy it would only be ~$488 difference.

So what do you guys think I should do? I guess if it was you, what would you go with? Is the extra processing power and speaker fix worth going to the BBK8 model? Is the better graphics card and the 1080p display for running Windows being the things that really matter to me worth spending that much more for the A1? Also, do you guys think that I really need the extra service plan with any of the models? I have always had great service with Asus motherboard repair but this is my first laptop from them. Please let me know what you guys think would be the best decision, thanks!

SippyCupXIII

*** For anyone that has the G74SX-A1 please let me know if you have the vibrating speaker issue and if you find your screen to have a overbearing cool(blue) color tone to it.***

BrodyBoy
10-26-2011, 10:17 AM
*** For anyone that has the G74SX-A1 please let me know if you have the vibrating speaker issue and if you find your screen to have a overbearing cool(blue) color tone to it.***
Personally, I like the full HD display on the A1 model. I have another Asus laptop that exhibits that blue-ish LED screen you've described, and I've never really liked it. The screen on the G74SX-A1 absolutely blows it away. I think that alone is worth the upgrade.

There's no "vibrating speaker" issue, per se. Perhaps a few units have gotten through quality control (no surprise there!) with poor installation, but the speakers don't universally exhibit a problem like that. I haven't seen it in two G74s.

Cypz
10-26-2011, 11:14 AM
A1 screen is great! I do not have any vibration issues with sound/speakers. Also, the A1 has a stronger video card then the BB version. No question as to which one I would buy in your position.

JRd1st
10-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Try to get an A1 from bestbuy. And get the extra protection because GeekSquad has a better rep than Asus RMA.

SippyCupXIII
10-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I work tonight so I will look into getting the A1 ordered in. It says that it is sold out on our website so hopefully I can get it through our in store ordering system. If not I can just return the BBK7 because I have to do an exhange by this Saturday for the return/exhange policy and then just wait for the to become available. I wanted to ask though what kind of FPS gains to you think would come from the 2gb 128bit 560m vs the 3gb 192bit 560m? Thanks again guys!

Yahooligan
10-26-2011, 07:58 PM
I suggest the A1 for the reasons previously mentioned (FullHD, better GPU). However, I would look into getting your extended warranty from SquareTrade - http://www.squaretrade.com

Awesome warranty, longer term, and better prices than BestBuy's.

fostert
10-27-2011, 03:35 AM
Definitely the A1, for the FHD screen alone! If you want the extra 200MHz (or more) you can always upgrade the processor in the A1 quite easily (the CPU is socketed) and go all the way up to the core i7 2960XM, but it'd be a pain to upgrade the screen on the BB8 (it can be done tho).:)

SippyCupXIII
10-27-2011, 04:11 AM
Well, I checked at work tonight about ordering the A1 in and of course it is sold out and I can't place an order. So I will probably just have to return it and get a credit since my return policy is up on Saturday and then wait for it to come back available. I checked our inventory system and we will be carrying it for a while still so hopefully it just doesn't take long to get them back in. You guys have definitely pushed my to get the A1 and forget about the BBK8. It would be nice to have more hard drive space for my games, the better graphics card and if the display is as good as you guys say it is it will be really be worth it for that. Like I asked before though, what kind of real world gaming performance gains would I see with the 192bit 560m? Thanks again guys for the help!

Yahooligan
10-27-2011, 06:30 AM
The 128-bit GPU does appear to have quite a large impact on performance, it also appears the 128-bit versions has fewer ROPs as well. So 33% less memory bandwidth, 33% fewer ROPs, and roughly 17% reduction in performance compared to the 192-bit version with LESS memory.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/1061621-gtx-560m-128bit-2gb-vs-192bit.html#post14350909

SippyCupXIII
10-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Well, it isn't looking good. Even though it showed in our inventory system that we were going to be carrying the A1 for at least a couple more months it has been taken off the site. I called to find out if it was a model that we stopped carrying and of course the phone rep. didn't know. It wasn't showing in their system either so that isn't good sign. I know that it has been out of stock for a couple of weeks so I am hoping that it was just taken down until they get them back in. The G53SX-A1 has been out of stock as well for a week or so and it is still on there and it had the same out of stock date at the G74 so who knows. So if in fact I am not able to get the A1 through Best Buy I am only left with the BBK8 model unless I order the A1 from another website. The only problem with that is that I would be paying interest on it since I was going to do 18 months at Best Buy so I am not sure if I want to go that route. What do you guys do in this situation? I am still going to return the BBK7 regardless since the BBK8 has the better processor and fixes the speaker issue but I am thinking about just giving it a week or two to see if the A1 shows back up on the website. I still have my desktop so it isn't like I don't have a gaming rig to play on. Just let me know what you guys think as always, thanks!

SippyCupXIII
10-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I found another possible option that I could go with. I still wouldn't be able to do 18 months but MicroCenter has the G74SX-RH71 (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0373585) for $1400. It has very similar specs to the A1 except it has the i7 2670QM which is nice for the better speed but only has one 750gb and only a DVD Burner (which I don't care about the Blu-Ray really). It still has the 1080p display and the 3gb GTX 560m so I am still good on that part. I really only need the one hard drive as for files but I do some game recording with Dxtory and Fraps so I can just get a 500gb Momentus XT for about $95 at work which would be faster anyways since recording needs really fast write speeds. So this option would be cheaper than the A1 even with buying the extra Hard Drive and with this one I am getting everything else I really wanted and it has the faster processor so this seems to make more sense. Now the only thing is if this model has the same quality screen as the A1 or not is something we can't tell. It is also nice that the store is also only about ~35 minutes away so I can get it exchanged easier if something is wrong with it so that is another plus. So what you guys think about this option? Also if anyone here has the RJ71 please comment on how you like it and the quality of the screen. Thanks!

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 06:52 PM
This looks like a great alternative. I'd get an SSD instead of a HDD then swap your system drive over to that and use the 750GB as your data drive.

Look at the screen before you buy it. Make sure it looks good. ;)

SippyCupXIII
10-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Well, I am prefectly fine with the performance of a normal hard drive for Windows use. I don't even have a SSD in my main desktop as of right now. I am just using a Sata 6.0 Seagate Barracuda XT from my main drive and another for my recording drive. The reason why I was looking at the Momentus XT for the recording is because where I don't get any lag or performance hit with my desktop while recording gameplay I did notice a little slow down when recording with the BBK7. Now I am sure that it will do better alone with the better Processor and Graphics Card but the Momentus XT would definitely be better for faster write speeds since that was probably the other major problem since the footage with Fraps and Dxtory is captured in such a raw state and need really fast write speeds.

The only other thing I am debating to do is with the service plan. I can go with MicroCenters which is $330 for a 3 year standard plan or $330 for a 2 year accidental. Looking at the Square Trade website mentioned before a 3 year standard would only run $180 while a 3 year accidental is $300. The only thing I am a little thrown off on is that I have never heard/dealt with Square Trade. After looking on Google there are very few complaints and a lot of positive feedback on their claims so I am sure they are trustworthy. So I ask, have any of you used Square Trade and what are your experiences with them? I am thinking of just going with the standard since I am very careful with my things. What you guys think? Thanks!

BrodyBoy
10-30-2011, 06:39 AM
The only other thing I am debating to do is with the service plan. I can go with MicroCenters which is $330 for a 3 year standard plan or $330 for a 2 year accidental. Looking at the Square Trade website mentioned before a 3 year standard would only run $180 while a 3 year accidental is $300. The only thing I am a little thrown off on is that I have never heard/dealt with Square Trade. After looking on Google there are very few complaints and a lot of positive feedback on their claims so I am sure they are trustworthy. So I ask, have any of you used Square Trade and what are your experiences with them? I am thinking of just going with the standard since I am very careful with my things. What you guys think? Thanks!

Personally. I wouldn't get an extended warranty. I just don't think they usually make sense, and this case is no different. The G74 already has a two year warranty, and if you can buy it with a card, you'll typically get a one-year extension on top of that. Three years, full coverage, no cost. And three years is a long time for personal electronics....

SippyCupXIII
10-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Well I picked the RH71 model from Microcenter and got the Momentus XT from work and got it installed. I made the restore disks as soon as it got running to reformat to make the whole 750gb a single partition. After getting the PC fully restored I noticed that there is a stuck pixel towards the middle of screen. I called Asus and they said it would be repaired under the display guarentee but I am going to check with Micocenter when they open this morning to see if they will just exhange it. Only problem is that I got their last one so I am probably just going to have to wait for them to get it back in. They have the DH71 but it is $400 more and all it comes with is two 750gb hard drives and the blu-ray player which I don't think is worth it for the price difference. Maybe they will make me a deal since they don't have a RH71 to exchange it with. One question I have in installing the second hard drive is how it is connected. I bought the Momentus XT to have an fast drive to record gameplay footage to with Dxtory and Fraps. However since it is connected by that ribbon cable not hard connected like the primary does that decrease the performance? If that is the case I will just get a standard drive and save some money. Thanks guys!

Yahooligan
11-01-2011, 07:18 AM
One question I have in installing the second hard drive is how it is connected. I bought the Momentus XT to have an fast drive to record gameplay footage to with Dxtory and Fraps. However since it is connected by that ribbon cable not not hard connected like the primary does that decrease the performance? If that is the case I will just get a standard drive and save some money. Thanks guys!

Performance isn't impacted, the data connector for SATA is actually the small one, not the big one. Nothing to worry about. :)

BrodyBoy
11-01-2011, 08:18 AM
One question I have in installing the second hard drive is how it is connected. I bought the Momentus XT to have an fast drive to record gameplay footage to with Dxtory and Fraps. However since it is connected by that ribbon cable not not hard connected like the primary does that decrease the performance? If that is the case I will just get a standard drive and save some money. Thanks guys!
As Yahooligan said, it makes absolutely no difference. I just wanted to add that the drive bays are completely interchangeable. You can put your new drive in either bay, using either connector, and you can set the BIOS to boot from your OS drive regardless where that drive is installed.

Brian@ASUS
11-01-2011, 07:39 PM
when comparing 192bit and 128bit performance. it will vary depending on application or games. some games you see a 2-3FPS difference and some games you see a 5-8FPS difference. this is when settings are max out. if you lower your graphics which most do anyways, you will barely notice the difference

SippyCupXIII
11-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! I am still waiting for Microcenter to get the unit back in. I am just not sure what to do if they don't get it in by Thursday (my day off). They said that I can just return it with no restocking fee if they don't get any back in or they might be able to make me a deal on the DH71 which they still have 3 of right now. Or I can just send it out to get the screen repaired but that still leaves me without the laptop for a couple weeks. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

Brian I have a question for you. The screen on this model still has a cooler color tone than my liking although it isn't nearly as bad as the BBK7 model. I have set Windows Color Calibration to how I like it but it doesn't stick for games. It reverts to how the display looked before running the Calibration. When I exit the game to Windows my Calibration is still set in Windows and the color is back to my settings. Also when I have the Color Calibration window open and launch a game after I exit I have a message that states "The devices pages has been refreshed due to a hardware change" Does this mean that their is some driver/software that is making the monitor overide the settings when I launch a full screen application? Also, if I run the game in windowed mode the color is how I have Windows Calibrated to. So it is only not working for full screen applications. I was just hoping that you could give me some info and maybe look into finding a fix for this. Thanks for all you help again guys!

SippyCupXIII
11-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Well I am going to Microcenter in the morning to exchange the laptop. According to their website they still don't have any of my model in stock so I am probably just going to have to do a return on it unless they make me a offer for the higher end model. I guess I could also just keep it and send it out to be repaired since I have a RMA but I would rather not have a brand new laptop repaired and what not.

I have also been looking at the G53SX-RH71 model they carry (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0373584) It has the better processor but has the 2gb GTX560 vs the 3gb GTX 560 but after Brian said the real performance difference it will make I am kind of wondering if it is that big of a deal. Especially since I will be gaming at 1360x768 which he said would even make the difference even less unless running at max resolution. The other things that I like about this model are that it is smaller so more easy to transport and also has a matte screen vs the gloss on the G74SX. The things I don't like iy though are the older design for cooling which I read isn't as good and I am not sure if I want to game on the smaller screen. There is just too many choices.

So once again I am looking for a little insight on what you guys would so and if you think that the G53SX would possibly be the better choice for me. Thanks guys!

Yahooligan
11-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I have also been looking at the G53SX-RH71 model they carry (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0373584) It has the better processor but has the 2gb GTX560 vs the 3gb GTX 560 but after Brian said the real performance difference it will make I am kind of wondering if it is that big of a deal. Especially since I will be gaming at 1360x768 which he ssaid would even make the difference even less unless running at max resolution.

I don't think he meant drop the resolution down but instead drop the settings down. Sure, lowering the resolution will help as well but if you ever decide to play games on at full HD resolution and you want good graphics quality then you'd be better off with the 192-bit card. Please read this thread and the performance comparison, it's more than "just a little slower", IMO. http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/1061621-gtx-560m-128bit-2gb-vs-192bit.html

The other things that I like about this model are that it is smaller so more easy to transport and also has a matte screen vs the gloss on the G74SX. The things I don't like iy though are the older design for cooling which I read isn't as good and I am not sure if I want to game on the smaller screen. There is just too many choices.

So once again I am looking for a little insight on what you guys would so and if you think that the G53SX would possibly be the better choice for me. Thanks guys!

Only you can decide if the size is a factor for you. If you think size is more important than video performance then by all means get the G53. My G74 spends 90% of its time on my desk connected to a 24" monitor. When it's not on my desk I'd rather have the larger screen than a smaller laptop, it fits in my backpack and I can bring it wherever.

Make a list of qualities in order of importance/priority and see which laptop meets more of the items at the top of the list.

SippyCupXIII
11-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Well I went to Microcenter and they did get some of the G74SX-RH71 models in today but I decided to go with the G53SX-RH71. I loaded some games last night (Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, and Black Ops) to test it out and I really wasn't seeing much a performance gain over the G74SX-BBK7 model I had. I saw your post before and I checked that forum post but I definitely didn't see the performance gains of the last entry. All of the games I mentioned besides Black Ops were under the FPS I would like (ran anywhere from 25-40 on average). When I lowered the resolution to 1360x768 I got a lot better FPS and I really just didn't see much of a difference from the 2gb version. I would say that it was probably anywhere from a 3-6 FPS gain for the most part over my previous model like Brian stated it should be. Maybe it was just my setup or something but I just didn't get the perfomance that was stated. It would be nice if the G53 had the 3gb version but for what I am buying the laptop for (take to friends houses to game) made my decision. I just liked the smaller footprint and the matte screen of the G53. I also will never have it hooked up to my monitor at home since I will be gaming on my desktop which is a lot higher end than either of the laptops. If this was my only gaming computer I would definitely go with the G74 but it isn't. I also checked the computer before I left the store and it had no dead/stuck pixels so I am good there and hopefully nothing goes wrong. I want to thank you all for the help that you have given me and I will post back if I have any other questions. Thanks again!

JRd1st
11-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Good luck with your G53, man! :thumbsup:

ScottinSoCal
11-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I decided to go with the G53SX-RH71.

If that's the one that will make you happy, you made a good choice.

I've been doing pretty much the same thing for the last few weeks - debating which to get and which to commit to. Today I pulled the trigger on the XC1:

Model: G74SX-XC1
CPU Type: Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz
Memory Size: 8GB DDR3
Hard Disk: 750GB
HDD RPM: 7200rpm
Optical Drive: BD Combo
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M
Video Memory: 3GB
Resolution: 1920 x 1080

I'd finally ruled out the System76 setup and then it was down to which flavor of ASUS. I wanted 17", I wanted full HD. I wanted blu ray, but didn't want to spend $300 more for it. The slightly faster processor would have been nice (2.2GHz), but was it nice enough to sacrifice the blu ray at the same price point? This one came with one sacrifice I wasn't willing to make - less memory - but that was easily fixed by ordering 8GB at the same time. Eventually I'll get an SSD and ghost the boot partition to it, but that can wait.

SippyCupXIII
11-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Well I just have the worst luck. After unpacking the laptop tonight to get things rolling the unit will not power up 98% of the time. I did have a little problem at the store when checking the screen for dead/stuck pixels but it worked after plugging the unit in. Now whether I try to power just the battry or cord alone or even with both the unit only powers up on rare occasions. Once the unit is on it works fine until powered off then the problem persists. The unit is getting power because the battery charge light works when plugging in the cord. I once again called Asus and they had me run through the CMOS reset, etc. and nothing worked. The unit randomly powered on once while on the phone but I have not got it to power on again since then. They gave me the option of sending in for service or taking the unit back to the store once again. I am going back to Microcenter tomorrow to exchange. I have always had good luck with Asus motherboards in my desktop builds (one of my top three brand choices and I have used a lot in builds) but I am starting to lose faith a little since this is my third laptop with problems. First was the G74SX-BBK7 with a dead pixel, speaker rattle/distortion at high volumes, and trackpad failure. Then the G74SX-RH71 with a stuck pixel, and now the G53SX-RH71 with power issues. I am just not sure what to do now at this point. Just wanted to give you guys a status update.

SippyCupXIII
11-04-2011, 05:32 AM
After doing some digging on the forums I found a post with a suggested fix for someone else having the same/similar issue and it has fixed the problem. The problem is a defective magnetic switch that makes the motherboard think that the lid is closed and therefore does not allow the unit to power on. If I take a magnet and touch it to the right of the touchpad the unit powers up every time. I can also say that if I power down the unit and don't close the lid the unit will power back on fine. It is only when I shut the lid after powering off that it will not power up until I use the magnet then it powers up every time. This seems so wierd to me but it is in fact the issue and it fixes it. I am still going to to Microcenter to exchange it because I don't want to have to carry a magent with me to get my laptop to power up but just wanted to give an update to my last post.

dstrakele
11-04-2011, 05:45 AM
+1 Nice work troubleshooting, Sippy! There is a magnetic switch that is set when the display is lowered to sleep/hibernate/shut down the system. Apparently this switch is getting stuck in the laptop closed position. The magnet you used 'unsticks' the switch, allowing startup.

I totally agree with your decision - exchange that unit for one that doesn't give you problems. Let the retailer and ASUS deal with the defective laptops.

SippyCupXIII
11-04-2011, 08:36 AM
After some more testing on this unit I think I do see a decent performance impact on the 128bit GTX 560M now. The G74 seems like it could run Crysis 2 a little better at Very High and 1360x768 compared to the G53 at High and 1360x768. It is hard to compare when you can't do a side by side comparison. I do like the Matte screen a lot better though so now I am really unsure what to do. Be happy with the screen or get the better performance. It should be a clear choice but the screen is really important to me.

BrodyBoy
11-04-2011, 08:59 AM
It comes down to personal priorities. Speaking only for myself, I've found that the "ergonomic" factors are more significant than minor performance differences in the long run. If the keyboard, touchpad, or display....the components I actually interact with every time I use the computer....if any of those are troublesome at the outset, I never "get used to it." Like shoes that don't feel quite right in the store, they're never going to get right later. They'll always be a poor fit.

I don't do anything so bleeding edge on my computers that I need every last nanosecond of this or that. If I had to choose, I'd give up a little performance for a laptop that's comfortable and enjoyable to use day-in-day-out.

SippyCupXIII
11-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I am still thinking about it. What I have come up with it that the benefits of the G74 are a lot higher than the G53. The things I like about the G53 is the Matte finish on the screen and the color is better, also that it is lighter and smaller for transport. The things I like about the G74 are the better GPU, bigger standard hard drive, the keyboard (more space), bigger screen for gaming, stays cooler and easier to get to memory and hard drives. I won't probably make a decision until I get there in a couple of hours but a friend is going with me and he hasn't been there so I am sure we will spend some time walking around. Hopefully they still have the G74 if I decide to go that route again.

JRd1st
11-04-2011, 12:09 PM
I can't imagine the the display on the G74 being better. It truly is awesome, and that's coming from a photographer. The keyboard is a nice size, too. The laptop IS heavy, though. The A1 comes with a nice backpack to make its weight less of a burden. Lol

And it really does run cool!

SippyCupXIII
11-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Well I just ended up returning the unit to think about what I want to do. After having three bad laptops I might take a look at some other brands as well. That and I figure there will probably be some good deals coming up (Black Friday and Cyber Monday). One thing I wanted to ask is does anyone know how much faster the 1.5gb GTX 570M is compared to the 1.5/3gb GTX 560M. I was looking at a model that had the 570 for a really good price but I really can't find any good benchmarks or comparisons out there. Thanks guys!

380mcn
11-04-2011, 04:52 PM
i would never compare g53 with g74 even with the same specs because the size and screen are different. not everybody needs a giant g74 for example.
IMHO, and according to http://www.notebookcheck.net the gtx570m outperforms the gtx560m by a mere 1 to 5%. If your decision was about the gtx580m, or the ATI/AMD 6990 that was another question (10 to 30%) increase.

JRd1st
11-04-2011, 06:11 PM
I would never get a notebook with ATI simply because those drivers are cursed. Even 5 years ago it was the same thing, I had some ATI card, 9600 comes to mind, and every driver install and uninstall was a nightmare. I swore NEVER AGAIN then bought an ASUS 6800 Turbo GTX(?) I think. (It was a blue circuitboard . . .) Anyway, I'll never get anything but nVidia, now.

380mcn
11-04-2011, 06:19 PM
lolololol i had (and still have) ati radeon 9600/9700 and 0 problems! the laptop card eats the catalyst modded inf. in no time! 0 issues!
jrd1st, i'm from outer space i think, i flashed the bios with the windows utility and now i'm saying that i had 0 problems with the ATI. FYI, i was about to buy an alienware m17x with the ATI 6990. the problem is that there is no alienware portugal, so i end up with the g74!

JRd1st
11-04-2011, 06:30 PM
You SHOULD buy a lottery ticket, I'm telling you! ;)

I see so many posts all over about people that "can't uninstall ATI Catalyst" "can't install Catalyst" "can't UPDATE Catalyst" . . . those drivers are a different animal, altogether. I used to run TweaksRUs.com, and we were thinking about modding Catalyst drivers so we would have XTreme-G Cats (lol) but once we looked inside we said "the heck with this! By the time we figure this out the next set will be released!"

Those cards work really well when everything is good, but the drivers . . .

380mcn
11-04-2011, 07:35 PM
if people read the manual and the txt onde should know that the last catalyst which supports the 9600 9700 is the 9.x.x.x.x.x. i don't remember.. every attempt to install a superior version will go down the drain whit the Can't install..
contrary to the nvidia world, in the ati there is a stupid way of doing things: let's say:

you buy an asus with an ati 9700 everytime you want to update the drivers you HAVE TO GO TO ASUS SUPPORT and download it.
i buy a compal cl56 with ati 9700 and everytime i want an update i HAVE TO GO TO COMPAL SUPPORT

AND WHY?
because asus has to buy the driver from ATI, and ati will insert 2 lines of code on the catalyst allowing the ati id:xpto vendor asus to install on your 9700 in your asus.
if compal doesn't do the same, we have the same card but i can only use the last drivers that COMPAL bought to ATI and so on so on.
This happens only in laptop cards.

In nvidia world you go to the download page, select the card, download and install.. and that's why a lot of people complain about the driver..

380mcn
11-04-2011, 07:36 PM
like i said i wanted to buy and alienware m17x with ati, and ended up with a g74 nvidia! everything was upside down.. and then the flicker problem! grrrrrrrrr... my poison is to work with the minimum brightness. end of story.. :p

JRd1st
11-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Get one of those privacy screens. They darken a bit, don't they?

380mcn
11-04-2011, 09:14 PM
hummm never though about that..

MrAgapiGC
11-09-2011, 05:37 AM
Hi All

I just make the purchase on the BBK8 from best buy last week in Las Vegas. Since my budget was limited, these is the way to go.

There is a lot of things that these computer does. One of these is getting faster MHZ memory. (I like that) I just order better ones to go to 16gigs. The screen I am working on that, since is not so dificult. The problem is the way of the cable orientacion. The screen to go to HD is only 200 USD. But for me is ok.

Also the HD is ok no problems. But is not RAID from factory. The W7 home has to go. I am getting the ultimated. That will have better all.

CONS: a lot of bestbuy software. The restore is a mess. The drivers all are there on a e-drivers file. just back up and good to go. The windows you can download the file on thROG website. That is nice. The second HDD is partition on 2. I have no idea why???

A1 is nice but expensive. And i test my 1080p monitor and the 2gig card detected with any issues, and the games id the monitor and jump to hd.

The screen is nice. I use the first HD for the home and 1 partition of the second HD for my W7 pro for my office.

I am very happy with these, considering the budget. I get from best buy a special price for the BF3 and runs exelent for me.